• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World Championships in the anime

I think that if Gou is going to get a battle related goal that he would do the Galar Gyms instead.
It could be interesting to see one of Ash's companions doing the Gym quest instead now that he's focusing on something bigger, though I don't think it's too likely for Gou--20 episodes in is a bit late to start a badge quest.

It could be interesting to see one of Ash's companions doing the Gym quest instead now that he's focusing on something bigger, though I don't think it's too likely for Gou--20 episodes in is a bit late to start a badge quest.
Not everything has to be done conventionally with the Gym challenge (which actually isn't a bad idea for Gou to do). Ash didn't earn his first Sinnoh badge until 18 episodes in, while his last Sinnoh badge took a whole year to get.

Not everything has to be done conventionally with the Gym challenge (which actually isn't a bad idea for Gou to do). Ash didn't earn his first Sinnoh badge until 18 episodes in, while his last Sinnoh badge took a whole year to get.
I agree it's possible--this series has been structurally unusual--but I feel like if Gou was doing a Gym challenge the idea would have been floated already, and the marketing focused on him specializing in captures while Ash is trying to become the strongest battler.
Still this series has been unusually structured so far; almost anything is possible.
(Though year-long badge in Sinnoh was crazy though. I remember the growing annoyance people had with it.)

I agree it's possible--this series has been structurally unusual--but I feel like if Gou was doing a Gym challenge the idea would have been floated already, and the marketing focused on him specializing in captures while Ash is trying to become the strongest battler.
Still this series has been unusually structured so far; almost anything is possible.
(Though year-long badge in Sinnoh was crazy though. I remember the growing annoyance people had with it.)

I think Ash's participation in the PWC might make it too difficult for Gou to reliably complete any regional Gym Challenge because of all the region-hopping that'll come with it.

I think Ash's participation in the PWC might make it too difficult for Gou to reliably complete any regional Gym Challenge because of all the region-hopping that'll come with it.
They'll have enough time spent in Galar for Gou to compete in 8 Gyms and compete in the League Tournament afterwards.

I think that if Gou is going to get a battle related goal that he would do the Galar Gyms instead.
It’s likely they’ll be featured as highly ranked trainers for the PWT.
Go just isn’t a battler, and unless he gets a c9mplete facelift I don’t see him doing a 180 in beliefs. And the "division of labor" is made quite clear for this series with Ash battling and Gou catching anything that moves.

Go just isn’t a battler, and unless he gets a c9mplete facelift I don’t see him doing a 180 in beliefs. And the "division of labor" is made quite clear for this series with Ash battling and Gou catching anything that moves.
Raboot is now obsessed with battling, and Gou has to satisfy him somehow. Either Gou would have to take on a serious battle challenge or he will have to give Raboot away to Ash.

Raboot is now obsessed with battling, and Gou has to satisfy him somehow. Either Gou would have to take on a serious battle challenge or he will have to give Raboot away to Ash.
It is one Pokemon, after all, and I highly doubt they’d change his entire marketing appeal and goal for one Pokemon, and it being traded is unlikely. It would be like Dawn trading her Piplup.

This is a never before seen situation and we don’t know what will happen yet. It’s not wise to talk in absolutes.

It is one Pokemon, after all, and I highly doubt they’d change his entire marketing appeal and goal for one Pokemon, and it being traded is unlikely. It would be like Dawn trading her Piplup.

This is a never before seen situation and we don’t know what will happen yet. It’s not wise to talk in absolutes.
It reminds me heavily of when Dawn's Buizel started becoming interested in Gym Battles, leading to it being traded to Ash.

We saw Raboot mildly interested in battles. And this could just be interest in how Pikachu performs. If we analyze the situation, Go was also interested in Ash's battle at that moment. So we cannot assure that Raboot has any obsession for battles.

Also, Raboot seems to still like the aspect of catching Pokemon. Raboot was the first to notice the Spearrow and quickly went after it. So I really doubt a trade is necesary.

I honestly think that we won't see the Galar Gym Leaders at all unless Gou decides to challenge them.

Are we debating whether or not Go is going to participate in the Pokemon World Championships?
I'm sure he won't. He was introduced as a guy with one goal only: catching all Pokemon until he'll finally get to catch Mew (which I personally doubt will actually hapen).

Also, Go doesn't really have a particular liking for battles nor does he have the same passion as Ash for the PWC. Not in the slightest. So, I guess he probably won't become a trainer.

The writers are already making it way too easy for Go when it comes to catching Pokemon. If they should, against all odds, decide to let him participate in the PWC, I'm afraid they'll also give him cheap and easy victories, so he'll be able to compete against Ash in a higher class. Wouldn't that be unfair towards all those trainers who've been working hard?

Last edited:
The writers are already making it way too easy for Go when it comes to catching Pokemon. If they should, against all odds, decide to let him participate in the PWC, I'm afraid they'll also give him cheap and easy victories, so he'll be able to compete against Ash in a higher class. Wouldn't that be unfair towards all those trainers who've been working hard?
No, it wouldn't be! Remember kids, when your character has a goall of obtaining something, you don't have the luxury of having him work for it! He has to get to that goall no matter what, otherwise your story will not function! /Sarcasm

Why bring back old characters and let people out of the Not Animated Prison when you can just make up a COTD, say he or she is a great trainer, and call it a day?

And it looks like I was right, if PM20 is any indication...

Though I'm not happy about it... :cry:

We can only hope and pray to Arceus they bring in established characters later.

Although disappointed that SS020 showed a 1v1 battle, it is reassuring that not all battles are 2 v 2 so hopefully we may get more Pokemon used in battle in future episodes

Something that's occured to me.

Most of the people who make it to the tournament are likely to be Champions and other older trainers, but Ash is ten.
That's seems like it would be attention-grabbing. I wonder if this will be acknowledged when the tournament starts? It's fun those few times we see the character's accomplishments being noticed, like that Nurse Joy in late AG who had a photo album with pictures of Ash and May.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom