• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are they ever gonna show Sobble and Grookey in action?

The merchandise is suggesting they are going to show up within the next few weeks.

Can't say when, but probably sometime around Riolu's appearance in the anime.
I hope they show up soon. I know this post in another topic mentioned it:

Also, we still haven't gotten summaries for anything beyond episode 20. Maybe that's a sign? Maybe they're holding off on sharing summaries to surprise us here?

SOON...
1585315525042.png

(about damn time. And I'll go out on a limb and guess Ash gets Riolu to finally shut people up like with Dragonite and Gengar)

Since the egg Ash is holding have blue spots on it the baby it will be Riolu or Sobble since both of them are blue.
I’m surprised that the egg design in that picture is the generic one from the games just with blue spots. Has the anime ever had eggs like that rather than stylized eggs that match the Pokémon that hatched from it?

SOON...
View attachment 131900

(about damn time. And I'll go out on a limb and guess Ash gets Riolu to finally shut people up like with Dragonite and Gengar)

In fact, they are not implying Sobble and Grookey will appear.

They are asking what of these Pokemon will hatch from the egg. Sobble and Grookey are between the options, but the most likely it is Riolu.

They are asking what of these Pokemon will hatch from the egg. Sobble and Grookey are between the options, but the most likely it is Riolu.
But this is hinting at Grookey and Sobble appearing sooner rather than later. At least I hope.

I’m surprised that the egg design in that picture is the generic one from the games just with blue spots. Has the anime ever had eggs like that rather than stylized eggs that match the Pokémon that hatched from it?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all of the eggs we've seen in the anime before were basically designed to basically tell the audience what kind of Pokemon will hatch from them. Part of the reason why they went for a more generic egg design might have been because they wanted to have the audience guess based on this image.

As interesting as it would be for Ash to get a baby Grookey or Sobble, I'm positive that it will be a Riolu. They've been hinting at it with the merchandise and I think that they would rather have an episode introducing the audience to Grookey or Sobble instead of having them hatch from an egg. Tyrogue and Munchlax wouldn't really fit with Ash either. I'm not even sure why they're included as possibilities.

I still hope that Ash will get a Grookey and more Galar Pokemon in general, but I am happy Ash is getting an egg. Not only because of the likely possibility that he'll get a Riolu, but also because it shows that he can still get unevolved Pokemon. If Ash can get a baby Pokemon, something that would have absolutely no experience in battle, then he can still get something like Grookey even after capturing Dragonite and Gengar. Unevolved Pokemon hopefully aren't off the table for him. Plus, not having yet another Kanto Pokemon on his team would be nice. I love Lucario and I know that it is overexposed, but not having more Kanto favorism on Ash's team would certainly be nice.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure all of the eggs we've seen in the anime before were basically designed to basically tell the audience what kind of Pokemon will hatch from them. Part of the reason why they went for a more generic egg design might have been because they wanted to have the audience guess based on this image.

As interesting as it would be for Ash to get a baby Grookey or Sobble, I'm positive that it will be a Riolu. They've been hinting at it with the merchandise and I think that they would rather have an episode introducing the audience to Grookey or Sobble instead of having them hatch from an egg. Tyrogue and Munchlax wouldn't really fit with Ash either. I'm not even sure why they're included as possibilities.

I still hope that Ash will get a Grookey and more Galar Pokemon in general, but I am happy Ash is getting an egg. Not only because of the likely possibility that he'll get a Riolu, but also because it shows that he can still get unevolved Pokemon. If Ash can get a baby Pokemon, something that would have absolutely no experience in battle, then he can still get something like Grookey even after capturing Dragonite and Gengar. Unevolved Pokemon hopefully aren't off the table for him. Plus, not having yet another Kanto Pokemon on his team would be nice. I love Lucario and I know that it is overexposed, but not having more Kanto favorism on Ash's team would certainly be nice.
Giving him a Riolu also would be a fitting callback since back in Sinnoh they expressed that Ash had a connection with aura but never really went anywhere with it.

Yes, it's most likely Riolu. I agree one of the starters would probably be introduced in another way and I don't think they'd give him a Pokémon that evolves into one he already has. I guess Tyrogue is possible but he feels unlikely to me since I don't think the line is that popular compared to the other options.

Ash also has a bit of a history with the Lucario line from movie 8 and that Hunter J part in DP. He's also battled a Lucario in every series since it was introduced (and always with a fairly prominent trainer) so there's that.

I think there's a chance Sobble and Grookey will still appear soon, though, maybe even in the daycare (I suspect the other options for the egg will all appear in that episode).
Giving him a Riolu also would be a fitting callback since back in Sinnoh they expressed that Ash had a connection with aura but never really went anywhere with it.
If one of the veteran writers like Tomioka does one of the Riolu episodes (assuming it is Riolu) they may well reference that.

Last edited:

It might hatch into a Riolu but they’ve flat out put the possibility of Ash getting a Sobble or a Grookey on the table.

I definitely hope that Ash can get Grookey or Sobble, but I also wonder if they are going to have him catch more than the usual five or six Pokemon he often gets per series. Even if we count Mr. Mime as just a temporary Pokemon for Ash, he'll still have four Pokemon on him by the time the egg hatches and we're still relatively early in the series. Maybe they'll have him catch a few more Pokemon just so that he doesn't have to rely on his reserves similar to why he caught more Pokemon during BW. A part of me kind of hope that they'll do that, if only because there would be more chances for Ash to get more Galar Pokemon, but I'm not sure if they'll handle the whole rotation concept particularly well given that it's hard for even a regular team to get a good amount of screentime. It might help to spread out the captures like they have been doing though. One reason why I think that BW didn't make the rotation concept work was because they rushed some of the captures, particularly his early ones, and that made it harder for the Pokemon to stand out. Spreading out the captures, giving some time to flesh out each Pokemon and maybe not going too overboard with how many Pokemon Ash captures might help to make the concept work if they do go in that direction.

We got Official Anime Art of the Starters on September 15th. These are not Stock Artwork of the Games but rather of the Anime's. You can see Scorbunny more anime-esque, Grookey a bit more fatter and Sobble with a more clean forehead. So these are unique to the Anime. Since Episodes are Produced Eight Months before they air. 8 Months after September is May. So I predict we'll get their debut before June.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1173431329595129861

I am wondering if the list of possible Pokémon from the egg came from the anime staff or if they just told the answer to the magazine writers who then picked four wrong answers themselves.

but I'm not sure if they'll handle the whole rotation concept particularly well given that it's hard for even a regular team to get a good amount of screentime.
I suspect this series has one advantage in that regard. Previous series didn't just have to give screentime to Ash's Pokémon but also his companions' Pokémon. He only has one companion in this series (so far) and of Gou's Pokémon only Scorbunny Raboot really seems to be a priority.

Last edited:
We got Official Anime Art of the Starters on September 15th. These are not Stock Artwork of the Games but rather of the Anime's. You can see Scorbunny more anime-esque, Grookey a bit more fatter and Sobble with a more clean forehead. So these are unique to the Anime. Since Episodes are Produced Eight Months before they air. 8 Months after September is May. So I predict we'll get their debut before June.

View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1173431329595129861

I'm sorry, but the "Grookey a bit more fatter" part made me laugh. I guess you can say this Grookey is a chunky monkey, lol.

I suspect this series has one advantage in that regard. Previous series didn't just have to give screentime to Ash's Pokémon but also his companions' Pokémon. He only has one companion in this series (so far) and of Gou's Pokémon only Scorbunny Raboot really seems to be a priority.

However, although Ash has only one companion this time, we shouldn't forget that they really promote the co-protagonist aspect in this season with Ash focus on battling and Go focus on catching.

It is pretty possible they want Ash to have 6 Pokemon early in the season, so he could focus mainly on Pokemon battling after that, while Go is who catch a lot of (Galar) Pokemon.

However, although Ash has only one companion this time, we shouldn't forget that they really promote the co-protagonist aspect in this season with Ash focus on battling and Go focus on catching.

It is pretty possible they want Ash to have 6 Pokemon early in the season, so he could focus mainly on Pokemon battling after that, while Go is who catch a lot of (Galar) Pokemon.

Aside from Raboot, does Gou have a lot of Galar Pokemon? They could still do that, but since most of Gou's Pokemon don't really get much attention, I think that Ash could still get at least some Galar Pokemon. While they aren't primarily focused on the newest generation, I imagine that they still want to promote to a certain degree. Otherwise, Gou wouldn't have started out with Scorbunny.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom