• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any Pokemon Anime headcanons?

Some time before Ash arrived in Kalos, Serena was actually a lot like her manga counterpart in that she was a student at the Vaniville Sky Trainer Academy (or whatever the animé version of it would be). She was a very skilled student and was at the top of her class.

In order for something to be a head canon doesn't it have to be both plausible and not contradict events that did happen in the anime? Because Serena never mentioned nor alluded to having experience with Sky Battles in XY036, so doesn't the 'she was a Sky Trainer' theory kind of fall flat with that knowledge?

In order for something to be a head canon doesn't it have to be both plausible and not contradict events that did happen in the anime? Because Serena never mentioned nor alluded to having experience with Sky Battles in XY036, so doesn't the 'she was a Sky Trainer' theory kind of fall flat with that knowledge?
Actually, considering headcanon can be used to invoke "death of the author" and "fanon discontinuity", it does not have to adhere to what actually happened.

Time passes and Ash ages; we as the viewers just don't get to see it for marketing reasons. These calculations assume the following:
  • April 1, 1997, the original airdate of EP001 "Pokémon - I Choose You!", was the start of Ash's journey.
  • EP005 "Showdown in Pewter City" took place exactly two weeks later, on April 15, 1997.
  • EP009 "The School of Hard Knocks" took place on June 1, 1997, the conventional definition of two months after EP001.
  • EP020 "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" occurred on August 19, 1997, the week after it aired. Based on what little information I've been able to find, this should be when the real Japanese Bon festival took place.
  • Holiday Hi-Jynx and Snow Way Out aired as originally scheduled, after EP038 "Computer Warrior Porygon", the former taking place on Christmas Eve, 1997.
  • EP039 "Pikachu's Goodbye" did not air.
  • EP052 "Princess vs. Princess", the Hinamatsuri (March 3) episode, aired as originally scheduled, between EP047 and EP048 (according to Pocket Monsters Encore). Being after Holiday Hi-Jynx, it must take place the following year, in 1998.
  • EP053 "The Purr-fect Hero", the Children's Day (May 5) episode, aired as originally scheduled, between EP057 and EP058 (according to Pocket Monsters Encore).
  • Pikachu & Pichu, released between EP155 and EP156, took place on April 1 following EP053, meaning it must have taken place the following year, in 1999.
The movies are not currently factored in. Based on this, these among other dates can be calculated:
  • Going by Takeshi Shudō's novelizations, Ash would have been born on May 22, 1986 (exactly ten years, ten months, and ten days prior to EP001). He would then have actually turned eleven fairly early on in the series, around EP008 "The Path to the Pokémon League" or so, which coincidentally aired two days before the real-world date.
  • The one-year anniversary of his journey would probably have occurred sometime between EP050 "Who Gets to Keep Togepi?" and EP051 "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" in-universe, with his twelfth birthday subsequently taking place sometime around EP062 "Clefairy Tales".
  • Based on the approximate date of EP063 "The Battle of the Badge", previously-observed travel time between Pallet Town and Viridian City, and dialogue in EP065 "Showdown at the Po-ké Corral", the Indigo League Conference probably occurred in late July or early August.
  • It should have taken about eight months in-universe, from February to October, 1998, for Charizard to start obeying Ash again following its first evolution.
  • EP127 "Once in a Blue Moon" probably occurred on Christmas Day, 1998 (almost exactly a year before it actually aired). This is backed up by the release of the Pikachu's Winter Vacation 2 shorts just before, which prominently feature both Heracross and Chikorita, the latter of whom was caught just one episode prior.
  • Ash most likely had the GS Ball in his possession for about six months in-universe (from August, 1998 to February, 1999).
Past Pikachu & Pichu, solid in-universe dates become largely unavailable for use as a frame of reference, as far as I know. Based purely on the average in-universe time between episodes up to this point, Ash should probably have turned thirteen around EP166 "Two Hits and a Miss", but this is highly speculative.

Time passes and Ash ages; we as the viewers just don't get to see it for marketing reasons. These calculations assume the following:
  • April 1, 1997, the original airdate of EP001 "Pokémon - I Choose You!", was the start of Ash's journey.
  • EP005 "Showdown in Pewter City" took place exactly two weeks later, on April 15, 1997.
  • EP009 "The School of Hard Knocks" took place on June 1, 1997, the conventional definition of two months after EP001.
  • EP020 "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" occurred on August 19, 1997, the week after it aired. Based on what little information I've been able to find, this should be when the real Japanese Bon festival took place.
  • Holiday Hi-Jynx and Snow Way Out aired as originally scheduled, after EP038 "Computer Warrior Porygon", the former taking place on Christmas Eve, 1997.
  • EP039 "Pikachu's Goodbye" did not air.
  • EP052 "Princess vs. Princess", the Hinamatsuri (March 3) episode, aired as originally scheduled, between EP047 and EP048 (according to Pocket Monsters Encore). Being after Holiday Hi-Jynx, it must take place the following year, in 1998.
  • EP053 "The Purr-fect Hero", the Children's Day (May 5) episode, aired as originally scheduled, between EP057 and EP058 (according to Pocket Monsters Encore).
  • Pikachu & Pichu, released between EP155 and EP156, took place on April 1 following EP053, meaning it must have taken place the following year, in 1999.
The movies are not currently factored in. Based on this, these among other dates can be calculated:
  • Going by Takeshi Shudō's novelizations, Ash would have been born on May 22, 1986 (exactly ten years, ten months, and ten days prior to EP001). He would then have actually turned eleven fairly early on in the series, around EP008 "The Path to the Pokémon League" or so, which coincidentally aired two days before the real-world date.
  • The one-year anniversary of his journey would probably have occurred sometime between EP050 "Who Gets to Keep Togepi?" and EP051 "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden" in-universe, with his twelfth birthday subsequently taking place sometime around EP062 "Clefairy Tales".
  • Based on the approximate date of EP063 "The Battle of the Badge", previously-observed travel time between Pallet Town and Viridian City, and dialogue in EP065 "Showdown at the Po-ké Corral", the Indigo League Conference probably occurred in late July or early August.
  • It should have taken about eight months in-universe, from February to October, 1998, for Charizard to start obeying Ash again following its first evolution.
  • EP127 "Once in a Blue Moon" probably occurred on Christmas Day, 1998 (almost exactly a year before it actually aired). This is backed up by the release of the Pikachu's Winter Vacation 2 shorts just before, which prominently feature both Heracross and Chikorita, the latter of whom was caught just one episode prior.
  • Ash most likely had the GS Ball in his possession for about six months in-universe (from August, 1998 to February, 1999).
Past Pikachu & Pichu, solid in-universe dates become largely unavailable for use as a frame of reference, as far as I know. Based purely on the average in-universe time between episodes up to this point, Ash should probably have turned thirteen around EP166 "Two Hits and a Miss", but this is highly speculative.

I mean I don't know what to say about the Ash's age thing considering how often we've been informed that he's 10 and that's an established fact that even head canons can't fix, but I'm curious if the passages of time that you referenced for EP005 and a few other episodes are based on the dub dialogue or the original dialogue?

I mean I don't know what to say about the Ash's age thing considering how often we've been informed that he's 10 and that's an established fact that even head canons can't fix, but I'm curious if the passages of time that you referenced for EP005 and a few other episodes are based on the dub dialogue or the original dialogue?
I assume both, as Bulbapedia would presumably note any disparity between the two. The article for EP063 notes, for example, that the dub claims "a whole year" has passed since Ash and friends last visited Viridian City, whereas the original just says it's been "a long time". Based on my calculations, though, the estimate of a year isn't far off—in fact, it's a bit on the low side.

I assume both, as Bulbapedia would presumably note any disparity between the two.
I would make no such assumption if I were you. I recently found out that the Bulbapedia page for Nanny and Pop Pop had them definitely listed as James’ grandparents (which considering they are essentially servants is a bit off!)

ETA: omfg, I know no one cares, but someone has undone the careful and diplomatic editing I made to that page to make it accurate! Why does the person who is wrong always get in the last word on the pedia?!

Last edited:
I would make no such assumption if I were you. I recently found out that the Bulbapedia page for Nanny and Pop Pop had them definitely listed as James’ grandparents (which considering they are essentially servants is a bit off!)
Well, I just checked with Dogasu's episode comparisons to be safe, and again, no alterations are noted.

Well, I just checked with Dogasu's episode comparisons to be safe, and again, no alterations are noted.
Dogasu’s site is great but it is not a comprehensive bank of every change ever made, particularly when it comes to the older comparisons he did. I’m not saying what you’ve done is wrong btw (even if it is ultimately only to evidence your own headcanon) just that if accuracy really matters to you you have to check the original episodes yourself.

Dogasu’s site is great but it is not a comprehensive bank of every change ever made, particularly when it comes to the older comparisons he did. I’m not saying what you’ve done is wrong btw (even if it is ultimately only to evidence your own headcanon) just that if accuracy really matters to you you have to check the original episodes yourself.
I did think of that, and checked EP063 as well. He specifically sets aside an entire section to talk about the "whole year" comment added in the dub, and makes sure to clearly spell out how much that kind of thing annoys him, so I think he would have noted it in the other episodes as well had anything similar come up.

I'm sure you're right that checking it myself would be the best way to get accurate information, but even that plan comes with its own flaws. The original Japanese version is not legally available in the United States, and even if I were to overlook the issue of legality, there's no guarantee that fansubbers are really any more accurate than Bulbapedia or Dogasu. In order to be absolutely certain, the only real option left would be to learn Japanese and watch the show completely raw. I did take lessons for a few years, but only retained the most basic rules of pronunciation and grammar, along with the ability to read kana if I stare at it long enough. Kanji and any substantial amount of vocabulary are, for the most part, beyond me.

but someone has undone the careful and diplomatic editing I made to that page to make it accurate! Why does the person who is wrong always get in the last word on the pedia?!
But there’s no reason they wouldn’t allow it if you give a source? Not sure on the matter itself but if a source is provided for them not being his grandparents the modification would be made.

I'm sure you're right that checking it myself would be the best way to get accurate information, but even that plan comes with its own flaws. The original Japanese version is not legally available in the United States, and even if I were to overlook the issue of legality, there's no guarantee that fansubbers are really any more accurate than Bulbapedia or Dogasu. In order to be absolutely certain, the only real option left would be to learn Japanese and watch the show completely raw.
You're right, it is actually very difficult and you can trust no-one. Unfortunately my obsession with the TRio is such that I have had to do the latter to my best ability in the last 10 years... :bulbaFacepalm:
But there’s no reason they wouldn’t allow it if you give a source? Not sure on the matter itself but if a source is provided for them not being his grandparents the modification would be made.
BUT THE SOURCE IS THE SOURCE MATERIAL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGH omg it's fine it's fine I can handle a rational discussion on Bulbapedia I am a sane human being whose psychological state does not get ruined by widely spread inaccuracies related to the TRio be cool me.

Remember when Lysandre tried to control Ash and Greninja using Mega Evolution Energy? My headcanon is that, despite them overcoming the energy, there was lasting effects on both of them:

1. Greninja: Gained the ability to see the roots coursing with the tainted Mega Evolution Energy and is why Zygarde needed him to scout out the vines throughout Kalos. Can arguably be canon.

2. Ash (the actual headcanon): It was a combination of Bond Phenomenon allowing Ash and Greninja to stand against the Mega Evolution Energy together (rather than on their own like the Zygarde) as well as Ash's aura helping to "purify" the tainted energy. A portion of that purified energy now remains in Ash as the equivalent of a Key Stone, allowing him to Mega Evolve his Pokemon so long as they have the appropriate Mega Stone (if they ever let him have one, lol).

Remember when Lysandre tried to control Ash and Greninja using Mega Evolution Energy? My headcanon is that, despite them overcoming the energy, there was lasting effects on both of them:

1. Greninja: Gained the ability to see the roots coursing with the tainted Mega Evolution Energy and is why Zygarde needed him to scout out the vines throughout Kalos. Can arguably be canon.

2. Ash (the actual headcanon): It was a combination of Bond Phenomenon allowing Ash and Greninja to stand against the Mega Evolution Energy together (rather than on their own like the Zygarde) as well as Ash's aura helping to "purify" the tainted energy. A portion of that purified energy now remains in Ash as the equivalent of a Key Stone, allowing him to Mega Evolve his Pokemon so long as they have the appropriate Mega Stone (if they ever let him have one, lol).

That's a neat idea: I might honesty remember that for later (with citing your thinking)

I've got many headcanons to share. As soon as I can recall them, of course. So let's start with one I do remember ATM.

In Overjoyed!, when Ash goes to talk with Brandon about their upcoming battle, Brandon mentions that he's going to go get a very special Pokémon first. He then tells Ash that his Pokémon in their battle is going to be Registeel. My headcanon here is that the "very special Pokémon" Brandon referred to was actually Registeel, and that he had absolute confidence in catching it when he told Ash he was going to be using it.

I know he goes to catch Regice later, but he specifically says that he's going to get the very special Pokémon right now, before his battle with Ash. So I don't think he was referring to Regice on that sentence.

Miyamoto (Musashi's mother) got lost in the mountains and transformed into a Froslass.

Dr. Fuji was the sole survivor of the incident at the lab. He shaved off all of his hair and started a new life in Lavender Town. He takes care of Cubone since they both lost their families.

Serena was friends with Koharu during the summer camp. Since they both didn't like Pokémon all that much (at the time) and felt neglected by their fathers, they could relate to each other. Koharu was smitten by Kalos and is currently learning French because her dream is to go there one day and study abroad. This is why she takes school so seriously and the reason she is so disappointed in Gou because she wanted him to go with her.

Satoshi was still depressed after the Winding Woods episode and felt even more depressed after losing the league but he had to put on a happy face and be strong to protect his friends from Team Flare. His change of personality in SM is a result of being forced to take too much responsibility for his age. His mother was the one who suggested that he should go to the school in Alola because he needed to relax and act like a kid again. He is currently seeing a counselor to help him process his many near death experiences that has happened over the course of the anime.

Movie 20 was a fever dream that happened during SM which is why there are so many surreal moments like Pikachu talking, the part when he reunites with Pikachu (and when it jumps into his mind) and the dream of the world without Pokémon. This is all caused by his anxiety and him fighting Ho-oh at the end is him recovering from his trauma. Marshadow is also symbolic. Verity/Makoto resembles his past female companions (Misty/Kasumi, Iris and Dawn/Hikari) because she is a fragmented memory.

All of the classmates in Alola regularly see a therapist. Lillie because of her PTSD and the disappearance of her father, Mao because of the death of her mother and Mamane because of his trauma involving Minior as a kid. This class is for kids with special needs.

Last edited:
Those's less of a headcanon and more how the weirdness of Kanto was playing out when breaking the rules of the games. Keep in mind those apply only to Kanto:
Musashi would've caught that Dodo that belonged to Saizou when she threw the Monster Ball.
Every Pokemon could have more than 4 moves at a time(I believe this one is obvious, in several instances it happened)
When a Pokemon got switched mid-battle he'd get completely disqualified from it (makes sense in a lot of episodes this one)
The subplot of a trainer being able to transfer their Pokemon using only their Zukan was always there, but Satoshi always preferred to call Ookido instead when needing a substitution (for some reason...)

Now for the headcanons:
Satoshi didn't die in the Ghost episode after being hit with a fallen chandellier, he was just knocked unconscious.
Satoshi never captured Ghost.
Satoshi met Okorizaru and Pidgeot again after their releases, but off-screen. Perhaps even Butterfree.
The GS Ball plot was resolved off-screen (with the Celebi reveal and all).
The Rocket-dan vs Plasma-dan was resolved off-screen with Plasma-dan disbanding temporarily (as I believe that would've happened).

And most importantly, Trio meet their older Pokemon every time they go back to the Rocket headquarters, but we never see it.

Every Pokemon could have more than 4 moves at a time(I believe this one is obvious, in several instances it happened)
If I recall correctly, when Pokémon.com had a mailbag, someone asked a question related to this. They said that each Pokémon could have more than four moves but only use four during battles. I'll see if Web Archive has saved that one, because last time something like this happened, I ended up looking like I had memory problems.

EDIT: And yet again, I ended up looking like a fool because there are no archived pages from before January 2010 (which is when they retired the mailbag).

Last edited:
Well, my headcanon is that everything that's happening in the anime is a story made up by older Ash from what he heard of about Red's, Ethan's, Brendan's etc. journeys. In reality, he never got a starter from Professor Oak when he overslept and never left Kanto.
So, he's a slightly more honest Gilderoy Lockhart?

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom