• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World Championships in the anime

Something that's occured to me.

Most of the people who make it to the tournament are likely to be Champions and other older trainers, but Ash is ten.
That's seems like it would be attention-grabbing. I wonder if this will be acknowledged when the tournament starts? It's fun those few times we see the character's accomplishments being noticed, like that Nurse Joy in late AG who had a photo album with pictures of Ash and May.

I am somewhat concerned about how they'll keep a kid battling at Champion level believable, but that is a thing in the games too.

I am somewhat concerned about how they'll keep a kid battling at Champion level believable, but that is a thing in the games too.
Ever since it was decided Ash was eternally ten years old that's been an issue that would eventually come up (unless the show just petered out without a proper ending), though as you mentioned it's also from the games.

I sort of think another issue more exclusive to the anime is the "power tier" was set so ludicrously high with Tobias.
Are we to assume Leon is even more powerful and Ash's current party is just that much stronger than everything he had by the end of DP? He apparently won the WC but Tobias was so mysterious we don't know if he entered or not.

Tobias was sort of the Pokémon version of Freeza, only instead of losing they win, then just leave. If Tobias doesn't reappear we'll never really know if anyone we see later is on his level or not.
Edit: Although Cynthia set a similarly absurd level, too. I think Pikachu actually did okay against Agatha so that level didn't seem completely out of Ash's reach, but DP doubled down on the high tier trainers being monstrous.
I feel like they were trying to sort of back off on that later, since I think Ash-Greninja did alright against Diantha.

Last edited:
Something that's occured to me.

Most of the people who make it to the tournament are likely to be Champions and other older trainers, but Ash is ten.
That's seems like it would be attention-grabbing. I wonder if this will be acknowledged when the tournament starts? It's fun those few times we see the character's accomplishments being noticed, like that Nurse Joy in late AG who had a photo album with pictures of Ash and May.

That kind of reminds me of Leon's rise to fame in the games as he was noted to have become Champion at the age of 10 (like the previous player characters had). We've yet to see Leon's backstory in the anime, but there's a possibility it will be along the same lines. If Ash does make it into the Master Ball Tier, it's possible that the media will tout Ash as Leon's second coming or something based on his age.

That kind of reminds me of Leon's rise to fame in the games as he was noted to have become Champion at the age of 10 (like the previous player characters had). We've yet to see Leon's backstory in the anime, but there's a possibility it will be along the same lines. If Ash does make it into the Master Ball Tier, it's possible that the media will tout Ash as Leon's second coming or something based on his age.
I think that part of Leon's backstory is fairly likely to come up (though not guaranteed), especially if Ash does win the WC (in the same way he followed Sun/Moon's protagonist in becoming the first Alola champion).
Leon appearing so early (and getting a second appearance not long after) makes me suspect he'll get lots of appearances.

Last edited:
Hope to see a Shedinja in a longer battle taking out some of Ash pokemon,

-Ditto and Zoroark(but this time use that dark type immunity fully maybe vs Mr Mime) but in situational battles

- Pursuit used in a switch situation knocking out a pokemon

Moves like Curse, Perish song, stealth rocks and others used the right way for some more turns and with succes

- would be really cool to show switching, type and ability immunities more often, soundproof, bulletproof, trapping moves and so on

They could make Ash battle the Galar gym leaders he won't meet when he goes to Galar for that League.
This would create a lot of interesting chalanges.

Imagine Gary Oak with Gigantamax Blastoise against Ash?

Would make Ritchie come back with Charizard Y to battle Leon and then Ash

They could make a battle format on points first allowing to use some charatcters late once again in battle.

Iris or Cynthia against Ash or Leon...

would be fantatic to see Z-moves, Megas, Dynamax/Gigantamax crash together a little now before Ash focuses on his Galar journey on Dynamax/Gigantamax fully... they could reveal some aspects and secret abilities of the new mechanic not all...
dont know if this could be featured in the World Championship or Galar regional league, but Cinderace, IIntelleon vs Sceptile or Greninja or a double battle with those .... also could see Cinderace battling Gengar or Mega Gengar... Intelleon taking on a Blissey.
Things outside the box happening

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom