• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

What do any of these Pokemon have to do with Alice in Wonderland?

Pokemon can't use held potions.

Humanoid shaped ones fit teatime and human like looking animals. Like some rabbits and bunnies.

ok with potions you are right but still would be able to change the berries effects somehow with new ability or move to make teatime even better. Rotten beries exist and magic to make evil fruits like poison apples and so on... that cause sleep...

Embargo really should come back too.

That's incredibly vague. By that logic, all humanoid Pokemon should also learn Surf, because humans can surf, or Flamethrower, because humans can wield flamethrowers.

who makes Teaparties and Teatimes? in real life?
think about it longer... vaque is that we didnt got a pokemon ability or move to make berries rotten , that means making them do damage and inducing a status condition instead to heal and reduce damage.... imagine a priority poison move or ability that would cause all held berries to cause 1/4 damage and cause sleep, burn, paralyze, or poison status... strategies to give yourn own berry to oponent to then make him... would be nice.
Rage Powder and new bugs would be cool if the move in singles would make the oponent use the same move twice or 3 times in a row too and not only you the target when using it... then would allow for strategies... Weird that Shedinja didn't got Rage Powder, would help it.

Last edited:
Humans also host martial arts tournaments, and yet we won’t give every humanoid a bunch of fighting moves.

me interests more did they ever think about the potential of this new move?
what if a pokemon in future has ability to absorb the effects of consumed berry instead of the user of the berry?

On the other hand only giving a normal move to a ghost in a tea pot?
Would be interesting if it would become a TM learnable move. Or a breedable one.

Weird that Polteageist didnt get any poison type moves? seriously? Acid?Gastro Acid?Acid Spray Smog?

Tea pots are made of clay? some ground or mud moves?

Gyro ball?

Whirlpool? Brine? ability to manipulate water? Polteageist...

It gets will-o-wisp as fire coverage.
Hot tea pot... would asume Flame charge or Flame wheel, maybe Fire Spin? Heat Wave to drastict maybe? Incinerate? Shel smash? Maybe could learn Shell Trap? Shell Trap would fit the hot tea pot motive perfectly and be a nice move actually.

Poleatgeist and Apple Acid? this move would fit some other pokemon actually too.

-Acrobatics and Chatter, as max air stream rise of speed
- got fire punch hope in future for a fire type sound move or Fiery Dance

Last edited:
Polteageist not learning Scald is something that's been mentioned in this thread, I think, but why the heck can Dragapult learn it? "Oh this teapot full of scalding liquid can't use scald but this ghost dragon can for no reason"

Actually, scratch that, why does Dragapult have so many dang Water moves? Dive and Surf, okay, maybe, but Hydro Pump and Brine? This dragon can't learn Heat Wave or even Shadow Claw, but it can magically use water?

Polteageist not learning Scald is something that's been mentioned in this thread, I think, but why the heck can Dragapult learn it? "Oh this teapot full of scalding liquid can't use scald but this ghost dragon can for no reason"

Actually, scratch that, why does Dragapult have so many dang Water moves? Dive and Surf, okay, maybe, but Hydro Pump and Brine? This dragon can't learn Heat Wave or even Shadow Claw, but it can magically use water?
For the water part, it's based on a diplocaulus ,an amphibian.
Heat wave is hot wind in japanese, usually learned by pokemon that can flap their wings or pokemon like shiftry that flap other parts, and oven/engine-based mons due to them being famous for creating massive quantities of hot gases,like weezing, and also solrock ,because it's a sun, anything that doesn't fall into these categories is fire-type ,like the starters ,ponyta growlithe and vulpix etc... thanks for reading ,and until next time never stop using your gnoggin.

Moreover, the only reason why it's Ghost-type in the first place is because it's a wandering spirit, this is why it's not considered a Fossil Pokemon despite being from the ancient past.

Sobble should be able to learn Camouflage. It's a chameleon. For it to not learn that move is rather surprising.
To be fair, Camouflage is one of the scrapped moves in SwSh, so not being able to learn a move that only half exists in the game isn't terribly surprising.

What really surprises me is that Falinks can only learn one multi-hit move, and it's Beat Up. I mean, look at it! It's literally six guys and its only move that involves hitting multiple times relies on its non-Falinks allies to work.

What really surprises me is that Falinks can only learn one multi-hit move, and it's Beat Up. I mean, look at it! It's literally six guys and its only move that involves hitting multiple times relies on its non-Falinks allies to work.
You know, this seems like an even bigger wasted opportunity, since they could have given them a multi-hitting signature move.

To be fair, Camouflage is one of the scrapped moves in SwSh, so not being able to learn a move that only half exists in the game isn't terribly surprising.

I didn't even realize Camouflage didn't make it into the game. Maybe Sobble can use that move in the anime instead.

It fires them out of it's jet cannon things. Like Blastoise but a ghost dragon.
But that's the whole thing- it's not Blastoise. It doesn't have water inside it to shoot out, just like Blastoise doesn't have Dreeplings inside it to use Dragon Darts.
For the water part, it's based on a diplocaulus ,an amphibian.
Still seems like a stretch to me- the Charmander line, Salandit line, and Croagunk line are all based on amphibians, too, and they don't get Water moves.
Heat wave is hot wind in japanese, usually learned by pokemon that can flap their wings or pokemon like shiftry that flap other parts, and oven/engine-based mons due to them being famous for creating massive quantities of hot gases,like weezing, and also solrock ,because it's a sun, anything that doesn't fall into these categories is fire-type ,like the starters ,ponyta growlithe and vulpix etc... thanks for reading ,and until next time never stop using your gnoggin.
That makes sense, but how do you explain Guzzlord learning it? It's not Fire-type, doesn't resemble ovens or engines, doesn't have wings to flap, and doesn't have any connection to the sun. It seems to me that the reasoning there is that it's a dragon that can breath hot breath, which should fit with Dragapult.

The strange type diversity Dragapult gets leads me to believe it can master the "elements": it gets Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Thunderbolt and the various water moves mentioned here, so probably anything that it’s jets can help to amplify. I find thunderbolt weirder than the water moves in this sense.

And dragon types do have a penchant for getting otherwise weird, elemental attacks.

But I’m not mad with it since I love using these moves on Dragapult.

Not exactly with Charmander, since it's based on the elemental salamander and not the actual animal named that.
But the elemental was based on the animal. Unless you're talking about the Paracelsus elementals, which were salamanders in name only. This is what he drew them as:
1586414159979.png
And the way he wrote about them didn't sound a lot like how Charmander looks.
As far as the personalities of the Elementals are concerned, it may be said that those belonging to the element of water resemble human beings of either sex; those of the air are greater and stronger;' the Salamanders are long, lean, and dry; the Pigmies are of the length of about two spans, but they may extend or elongate their forms until they appear like giants.

Salamanders have been seen in the shapes of fiery balls, or tongues of fire running over the fields or appearing in houses.
Plus, Sugimori lists lizards as one of its inspirations.
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/creator-profile-the-creators-of-pikachu/ said:
The experience of keeping small animals such as frogs, lizards, and baby turtles as pets gives the game a sense of reality and makes it easier to get into the game.
And Charmander and Salandit are fire types, so it’s a bit understandable that they aren’t inclined towards water moves.
Emboar and Centiskorch also get Scald, though, so it's not like being a Fire-type is a complete write-off. (although I think they shouldn't either)

Back
Top Bottom