• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2020 Anime might not see an English dub...

Well that's certainly interesting. I wonder what kind of change could have happened behind the scenes. Maybe they're moving the dub production out of New York or making it a joint production with another studio so that they'd have more of a voice talent pool to choose from. I just hope all of the people working on the dub are still safe given the current situation.

I know that one of them is due to Lisa Ortiz (the voice director) going bi-coastal at the start of this year.

View: https://twitter.com/Lisalisejam/status/1214799309159297024?s=20

Her Twitter handle even states both LA/NY as well.

Other than that, there isn't much information as to why but we'll find out soon enough.

I know that one of them is due to Lisa Ortiz (the voice director) going bi-coastal at the start of this year.

View: https://twitter.com/Lisalisejam/status/1214799309159297024?s=20

Her Twitter handle even states both LA/NY as well.

Other than that, there isn't much information as to why but we'll find out soon enough.

That must be really challenging to do, especially now when I don't think that they allow any commercial flights. Going back and forth between two parts of the country like that would definitely affect the dub's production.

How interesting... I wonder if whatever is happening here could upset the applecart as much as the original VA change did? I await the news with baited breath, as I think the dub could really do with a bit of a refresh. (There are a couple of voices and one script-related position which I wouldn't be sad to see retweaked... :censored:)

If I could wager my two cents, I'm almost certain the regular cast is still involved. If they weren't, I'm sure someone would have said "yeah, we're not working on the show anymore", like back when TPCi took the reins back from 4Kids. Something is definitely happening behind the scenes (and doing some research shows the series may have some LA talent involved alongside the NY group), but I'm confident the main cast won't change. If anything changes, I hope it's the use of the original soundtrack.

It makes sense too when you think about. This new series compared to even XY/SM must be that different, that maybe they more help from other sources or it could just be a simple restructuring of their company. But like PKMNdub said, "big changes" so what do I know. We just need more info of course and then we'll see where things properly go.

If I could wager my two cents, I'm almost certain the regular cast is still involved. If they weren't, I'm sure someone would have said "yeah, we're not working on the show anymore", like back when TPCi took the reins back from 4Kids. Something is definitely happening behind the scenes (and doing some research shows the series may have some LA talent involved alongside the NY group), but I'm confident the main cast won't change. If anything changes, I hope it's the use of the original soundtrack.

If I recall correctly, the 4Kids cast didn't know that they were going to be replaced until the last minute. Maddie Blaustien said that they were about to work on the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special before getting news of TPCI hiring different voice actors. I doubt that they'd replace the cast again. It seems unlikely at best, but depending on what changes are going on behind the scene, it wouldn't be impossible. I'd feel bad for Sarah since I think she has improved a lot as Ash over the years, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Meowth and to a lesser degree James had different voices. Out of the main stay characters, Meowth is the only dub voice that I still can't stand. James has some good moments, but I think that the combination of his accent and dialogue makes the voice more hit or miss too often. Jessie's voice is pretty much fine despite her dialogue. I think that using both LA and NY voice talents is more likely to happen though.

If I recall correctly, the 4Kids cast didn't know that they were going to be replaced until the last minute. Maddie Blaustien said that they were about to work on the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special before getting news of TPCI hiring different voice actors. I doubt that they'd replace the cast again. It seems unlikely at best, but depending on what changes are going on behind the scene, it wouldn't be impossible. I'd feel bad for Sarah since I think she has improved a lot as Ash over the years, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if Meowth and to a lesser degree James had different voices. Out of the main stay characters, Meowth is the only dub voice that I still can't stand. James has some good moments, but I think that the combination of his accent and dialogue makes the voice more hit or miss too often. Jessie's voice is pretty much fine despite her dialogue. I think that using both LA and NY voice talents is more likely to happen though.

Things are kinda spotty, but given Sarah Natochenny's (and Lisa Ortiz') recent appearances on Vanity Fair, coupled with several members of the cast alluding to working on the show (but obviously keeping hush-hush about it), I can't imagine they would - I think they've learned their lesson when it comes to cast switch-ups. I'm hoping for the best, and I'm hoping we hear something soon.

Things are kinda spotty, but given Sarah Natochenny's (and Lisa Ortiz') recent appearances on Vanity Fair, coupled with several members of the cast alluding to working on the show (but obviously keeping hush-hush about it), I can't imagine they would - I think they've learned their lesson when it comes to cast switch-ups. I'm hoping for the best, and I'm hoping we hear something soon.

Considering that they were showing them recording dialogue from the first SM episode, I'm not sure how recently that video was made. They couldn't show them recording for the new series for a number of reasons, but showing them recording for an episode that aired about three years ago seems rather odd if it was something recently made. I do remember Sarah Natocheeny mentioning alluding to Ash still being around shortly after the Alola League victory, so I assume that she was made aware of the new series and still being in the cast. That's a big reason why I don't think that they'd just suddenly replace her and the rest of the cast. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it is pretty unlikely.

Considering that they were showing them recording dialogue from the first SM episode, I'm not sure how recently that video was made. They couldn't show them recording for the new series for a number of reasons, but showing them recording for an episode that aired about three years ago seems rather odd if it was something recently made. I do remember Sarah Natocheeny mentioning alluding to Ash still being around shortly after the Alola League victory, so I assume that she was made aware of the new series and still being in the cast. That's a big reason why I don't think that they'd just suddenly replace her and the rest of the cast. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it is pretty unlikely.

I thought so too, but that video was apparently made rather recently, being an impromptu recreation of the first episode as an example of what the process is like.

I thought so too, but that video was apparently made rather recently, being an impromptu recreation of the first episode as an example of what the process is like.

That does make more sense and I guess that they wanted to feature an episode with both Ash and Delia to show how she voices multiple characters. It just seemed like an odd choice instead of going for a more recent episode.

Sarah is still with the show. I remember she tweeted a few months back about the new series. It was in relation to ash winning the league. Her recent appearance with vanity Fair (even if it was filmed a while ago) was likely a marketing tool for the anime. They wouldn't have used her if she were going to be replaced. Likewise, Lisa Ortiz directed that video and we know she is still with the series.

Lisa and Sarah would be the safe choices here. I could see Cathcart being moved on (like John Loeffler) as a way of modernising the dub a little.

If I could wager my two cents, I'm almost certain the regular cast is still involved. If they weren't, I'm sure someone would have said "yeah, we're not working on the show anymore", like back when TPCi took the reins back from 4Kids. Something is definitely happening behind the scenes (and doing some research shows the series may have some LA talent involved.
I'm willing to say this as well. Nothing was mentioned about them leaving whatsoever during their tweets on both the final recordings of Sun & Moon and the last dub episode of it being aired, that and TPCI certainly wouldn't want to pull a 4Kids and recast everyone again without them knowing (unless they were desperate to repeat the recasting controversy scenario all over again which they aren't).

Lisa and Sarah would be the safe choices here. I could see Cathcart being moved on (like John Loeffler) as a way of modernising the dub a little.
Yep, PKMNDub confirmed Cathcart is still on board. Lisa and Sarah are most likely staying too.
Do you know who voices Gou? Or his English name?
Still nothing about Go or his VA. We'll most likely have to wait for the trailer of the series before we can start guessing on who's voicing him.

giphy.gif

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom