• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Riolu become the new Ash-Greninja?

Queen Cynthia

Angelic Champion
Reaction score
Now that Ash has finally got a Riolu which will most likely evolve into a Lucario some day I'd like to introduce my theory:
In (almost) every generation so far there's been a Pokemon on Ash's team that proved to be very special in some way. I'd like to call them the "special Pokemon":
  • Charizard in Kanto (and to some extent during the Orange Island and Hoenn episodes as well) who proved to be more powerful and special than the rest
  • Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape with his Blaze ability in Sinnoh
  • (I'll skip Unova because there was no extraordinary Pokemon in my opinion)
  • Ash-Greninja and the bond-phenomenon in Kalos
  • Torracat and/or Lycanrock in Alola
I'm pretty sure Riolu and the whole aura phenomenon will be the next big thing in the current series. Riolu being able to sense Ash's feelings combined with its own passion will play a crucial role in the series. It will eventually evolve into a Lucario (maybe even Mega-Lucario which would just be fantastic!) and be a major powerhouse in Ash's team. I bet you it might be the Pokemon 2019-equivalent to Ash-Greninja (If not, I'll treat you to a virtual glass of beer ;))

So, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm still kind of expecting them to announce a Gigantamax Lucario for the DLC so that Ash's Riolu could eventually gain that form once it evolves. I could definitely see it becoming the ace of Ash's team, especially when they made note of Ash's aura, but it's hard to say for sure right now. I still hope that they won't rush through Riolu evolving into Lucario. It's practically guaranteed to evolve eventually due to how popular Lucario is and I will be thrilled when that happens, but I also want them to take their time fleshing out the bond between Ash and Riolu.

I'd say its a possibility. Riolu's got some similar story beats that Froakie had in that both "chose" Ash as their trainer (Riolu didn't hatch until sensing his Aura) and having a unique bond (Aura) that Ash doesn't share (more so than usual?) with his other Pokemon.

On top of that, this series is making a point not to only focus on the current generation in favor of a "world tour." That makes me think it's OK for the "ace" for this generation doesn't have to be a Gen VIII Pokemon.

The question now is if that bond is just going to culminate as a Mega Evolution, G-Max (assuming they announce one for Lucario in the DLC), or some exclusive Aura-related transformation (Ash-Greninja style)?

The final battle is still going to be Pikachu v. Charizard, though. I won't accept anything else.

Too soon to tell...but I hope not. I HATED Ash-Greninja.
(Not a big fan of how Dusk Lycanroc more or less stole the Ace spot from Litten/Torracat either...)

Either way, this is shaping up to Ash' most OP roster ever :sick:
World Championship or not, I'm not keen on him having so many powerhouses at once...

I'm still kind of expecting them to announce a Gigantamax Lucario for the DLC so that Ash's Riolu could eventually gain that form once it evolves. I could definitely see it becoming the ace of Ash's team, especially when they made note of Ash's aura, but it's hard to say for sure right now. I still hope that they won't rush through Riolu evolving into Lucario. It's practically guaranteed to evolve eventually due to how popular Lucario is and I will be thrilled when that happens, but I also want them to take their time fleshing out the bond between Ash and Riolu.

I doubt we get Gigantamax forms for Pokemon that are already available in the base game, since i don't know how that would work honestly: Just imagine you have trained up a Lucario to lvl 100, but then you cannot use it because it can't Gigantamax, while a Special Lucario can. I don't think Gamefreak can sell that to the players.

Back on topic: Its too soon to tell and if Ash gets Sobble, i doubt they let a older generation mon steal the spotlight from a current generation mon, meaning if Riolu and Sobble both get equal screentime, Dragonite and Gengar are pretty pointless (Dragonite already feels kinda pointless because it does nothing). The thing also is that Greninja only started hogging when the rest of the Pokemon (Except for Noibat, who can to late for that) had already received proper development, which i can't see happening here if Riolu/Lucario becomes the ace because it will prolly hog screentime from the start.
Another problematic thing with Ash having Riolu/Lucario if he is gonna have more than a team of six and is getting a rotation going, because i can't see them ever rotating Lucario, Sobble and potentially Grookey out, so only ones who get rotated out are Dragonite and Gengar.

I doubt we get Gigantamax forms for Pokemon that are already available in the base game, since i don't know how that would work honestly: Just imagine you have trained up a Lucario to lvl 100, but then you cannot use it because it can't Gigantamax, while a Special Lucario can. I don't think Gamefreak can sell that to the players.

I'm actually hoping whatever "process" they have for granting G-Max to the starter Pokemon will be available for all applicable Pokemon. I agree with you that it's super lame that the Pokemon we caught, raised, and bonded with can't G-Max because they're not "special" enough. The whole "only certain individuals among a species being able to G-Max" was a dumb move.

If they do implement such a system, I want it to be such that the first one (your starter) is free while subsequent ones will require some payment. The Dynamax candies come to mind here; those things are pretty much useless after a while. I think a fair rate would be 50 per G-Max Pokemon or so. What do you think?

Last edited:
Last time I checked, Greninja wasn't the one to solo two pseudo-legendaries and make MCX take a knee

If riolu's got shoes to fill, it's tackling the mascot role
EVc_MUuX0AEQs9g.jpg

But I do think it's possible that ash will get a mega evolution for him.

Oh hell no. :mad:
It should be Charizard or Sceptile. Heck, even Heracross or Glalie. Pokemon Ash has enough of a bond with, NOT something he JUST got.
Hell, the idea of Riolu evolving super fast is bad enough...
(yet's that's probably EXACTLY what they'll do x_x)

Oh hell no. :mad:
It should be Charizard or Sceptile. Heck, even Heracross or Glalie. Pokemon Ash has enough of a bond with, NOT something he JUST got.
Hell, the idea of Riolu evolving super fast is bad enough...
(yet's that's probably EXACTLY what they'll do x_x)

tbh, seems like Riolu won't evolve that fast at all, at least not before 30 episodes are in. Next episode is Gou development, then we get a Lab episode (Development for Gou's Pokemon, with Cascoon evolving), after that we get a Team Rocket focus episode and after that the battle against Korrina (We saw Gengar and Pikachu battle, so i doubt Riolu gets a chance). After that, we most likely get another Kanto episode before departing off to Galar, where we get to see Sobble as the next potential capture. I can see Riolu evolving after the Sobble episode though. However, at least with Riolu (Or any friendship evolution for that matter) a faster evolution is somewhat justified.

I hope no one will even care for Ash-Greninja anymore once we'll get Ash Aura Z-Powered Gigantamax Mega Lucario.
Lucario does what Greninja don't.
We saw Gengar and Pikachu battle
The Pikachu footage in the trailer was from this week's episode thus it's possible it could take a back-seat.

Why shouldn't Lucario be given a G-Max form in the DLC? It makes sense given the fact that Blastoise, Venusaur and the three Galar starters are also going to get G-Max forms in the expansion pack which haven't been available in SwSh yet.
The Anime could then easily introduce G-Max Lucario as soon as time has come (Although, as far as I'm concerned, I still prefer a Mega-Lucario for Ash)

Why shouldn't Lucario be given a G-Max form in the DLC? It makes sense given the fact that Blastoise, Venusaur and the three Galar starters are also going to get G-Max forms in the expansion pack which haven't been available in SwSh yet.
The Anime could then easily introduce G-Max Lucario as soon as time has come (Although, as far as I'm concerned, I still prefer a Mega-Lucario for Ash)

Blastoise and Venusaur are new additions to the DLC and the game. You cannot catch the starters in the wild, so Gamefreak has to make something up in order for them to Gigantamax.

It makes no sense for a Pokemon in the base game that didn't have one, to have one in the DLC. Just imagine they make Riolu catchable and every Lucario can Gigantamax. That basically destroys the point they made that only specific fully evolved Pokemon can do so, since if you do it for a Riolu, you for example have to do it for Toxel, Cufant and Blipbug as well.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom