• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

To this day I don't understand WHY the people/staff at Bulbapedia decided (out of stubbornness and arrogance I think) to name the series "SS", this series is NOT based and never was on the Sword and Shield games or the Galar region, they messed up big time. This series is called "Pocket Monsters 2019" or "Pocket Monsters" or "Pokemon Journey" now, it was a dumb decission imo and they had time to correct their mistake, whatever.
And the article is simply titled "New Series". Seriously? And on the talk page the only argument I’ve seen for it is The series name must have "Series" in it and Pocket Monsters (2019) doesn’t have that.
Ignoring official information in favour of a useless trend is exactly the opposite of what an encyclopaedia should do.

Usually Netflix drops an announcement regarding future content for the platform later in the month. So, I'd expect either next week or this weekend for them to say something. If nothing, then Disney still has a chance in early May, if nothing also, then Netflix will have one late next month. It's just a matter of who will announce 1st to determine the Dub's fate.

I have noticed the daily week day reruns for Sun And Moon on Disney XD are now airing at 3:30 AM instead of 3:30 PM. Plus they are running an random movie at 6 AM as well on Saturday. Last Saturday was Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. This Saturday it's Zoroark and next Saturday is Arceus. None of these are available on the DisneyNow app or site as well which right now has movies 1-3 and Power Of Us.

This is eerily reminding me a little bit of the final days of Pokemon on Cartoon Network. I'm leaning more towards Pokemon heading to Netflix than remaining on Disney at this point.

Also to note Netflix has announced some of their new content for May. To be fair the later part of May doesn't have much announced beyond the new Steve Carrell series.

I have noticed the daily week day reruns for Sun And Moon on Disney XD are now airing at 3:30 AM instead of 3:30 PM. Plus they are running an random movie at 6 AM as well on Saturday. Last Saturday was Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. This Saturday it's Zoroark and next Saturday is Arceus. None of these are available on the DisneyNow app or site as well which right now has movies 1-3 and Power Of Us.

This is eerily reminding me a little bit of the final days of Pokemon on Cartoon Network. I'm leaning more towards Pokemon heading to Netflix than remaining on Disney at this point.
Could just be a bit of filler for the time being until the new series starts. Probably also explains why CITV over here are taking their sweet time with finishing Sun & Moon off. Next week they'll be at the first part of the Ash vs Kukui battle.

Could just be a bit of filler for the time being until the new series starts. Probably also explains why CITV over here are taking their sweet time with finishing Sun & Moon off. Next week they'll be at the first part of the Ash vs Kukui battle.
I was wondering why Great Britain took their sweet time in continuing the Sun & Moon series.

Also to note Netflix has announced some of their new content for May. To be fair the later part of May doesn't have much announced beyond the new Steve Carrell series.

Admittedly, those are a bit concerning, but I don't think it's quite at the level of Cartoon Network's treatment of the series just yet. A large part of the change could be that they want to have different lineups now that kids have to stay home. Both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network have made changes to their lineups for the same reason. Plus, they still promote the reruns, so that doesn't give the impression that they're losing interest in the series. If these were new episodes instead, then that would be a much bigger red flag. They do have fewer episodes directly available on their On Demand section, but I think that might be some issue on their part after they updated it considering that they still have episodes from the Ultra Legend season available until the end of June.

I really can't see Pokemon working well with the Netflix release format. The anime isn't really designed to be binge watched and it would make more sense to have it as a weekly premiere as opposed to releasing a bunch of episodes all at once every couple of months. I'd prefer for it to not be moved to a streaming service, but if they had to do that, then Disney+ would be a better option in my opinion.

Hmm... with CITV taking their time on airing the end of S&M Ultra Legends this tells me we are at least a month off if not longer before season 23 begins airing/streaming in America.

Admittedly, those are a bit concerning, but I don't think it's quite at the level of Cartoon Network's treatment of the series just yet. A large part of the change could be that they want to have different lineups now that kids have to stay home. Both Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network have made changes to their lineups for the same reason. Plus, they still promote the reruns, so that doesn't give the impression that they're losing interest in the series. If these were new episodes instead, then that would be a much bigger red flag. They do have fewer episodes directly available on their On Demand section, but I think that might be some issue on their part after they updated it considering that they still have episodes from the Ultra Legend season available until the end of June.

I really can't see Pokemon working well with the Netflix release format. The anime isn't really designed to be binge watched and it would make more sense to have it as a weekly premiere as opposed to releasing a bunch of episodes all at once every couple of months. I'd prefer for it to not be moved to a streaming service, but if they had to do that, then Disney+ would be a better option in my opinion.
Some shows on Netflix are released weekly...

Yep... I didn't think of looking at the larger picture of the Disney XD daily line up which is mostly Disney owned shows that they are marathon running. And Disney XD is probably under contract to run at least one episode a day which is why they shove it off to early morning so they can marathon run their own shows which I'd imagine costs less than doing any kind of Pokemon marathon would.

Of course if episodes are available on demand until the end of June... that along with RetroPokeFan pointing out CITV being behind on airing episodes hints to me when we might know more on when the new season will be announced or even start to air/stream.

Netflix has done weekly episodic TV series before - at least overseas - for Star Trek Discovery. So they could possibly do some kind of weekly release for Pokemon easily. And better yet Star Trek Discovery has gotten HDR video on Netflix overseas as opposed to CBS All Access not including HDR video on their service for the show. PFFT!

Yep... I didn't think of looking at the larger picture of the Disney XD daily line up which is mostly Disney owned shows that they are marathon running. And Disney XD is probably under contract to run at least one episode a day which is why they shove it off to early morning so they can marathon run their own shows which I'd imagine costs less than doing any kind of Pokemon marathon would.

Of course if episodes are available on demand until the end of June... that along with RetroPokeFan pointing out CITV being behind on airing episodes hints to me when we might know more on when the new season will be announced or even start to air/stream.

If they're airing Disney Channel or XD series, then they own them completely, so it would be far less cheaper to put them on the air more often than Pokemon episodes. Although, I'm not sure if they have to pay extra for marathons of the series either. They might also be prioritizing shows that are more popular with their target audience since I'm pretty sure that's what Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are doing right now.

TheLoonyRebel said:
Netflix has done weekly episodic TV series before - at least overseas - for Star Trek Discovery. So they could possibly do some kind of weekly release for Pokemon easily. And better yet Star Trek Discovery has gotten HDR video on Netflix overseas as opposed to CBS All Access not including HDR video on their service for the show. PFFT!

Netflix is still primarily known for releasing a season or at least a batch of episodes every few months and I'm not sure how common that weekly episode release schedule is for them in the U.S. at least. Disney+ would make more sense because they do release new episodes weekly with their original series. Granted, neither option is ideal for me since I don't want to pay for yet another streaming service, but if I had to choose one, I'd still go with Disney+ in this case.

Why would Disney buy the rights to broadcast pokemon and sell them to Netflix? Does pokemon fit Disney?

They wouldn't sell the rights to Netflix exactly. They'd just choose to not renew the rights to air the series, which would allow another company such as Netflix to buy them instead. I'm pretty sure that's what happened when Cartoon Network chose to stop airing the series. I still can't really see them going that route. I still haven't gotten the impression that Disney wants to get rid of the series. They promote it pretty frequently, have kept it at a consistent timeslot for three years and have most episodes easily available on their website or On Demand section. Unless they had huge expectations for the ratings on their premium channel, which would be strange on multiple levels, or they're going to get rid of Disney XD altogether, I don't know why Disney wouldn't want to keep airing the Pokemon anime.

I know it's likely not entirely comparable because there was a station jump last series, but not including previews, the gap between XY and SM was a little less than 4 months. So I wouldn't be totally surprised if the new series didn't begin airing until June/July, especially with everything going on right now. I'm not sure exactly how far in advance the series gets dubbed, so I don't know how many episodes have been finished and if that impacts when Disney wants to start the series (that is, the series is still on Disney...personally, I hope that's the case. Not a big fan of shows being on Netflix myself.) I also wonder if the production changes that were discussed in the other thread have played any sort of role in a potential delay.

I'm still a little bummed we didn't at least get a preview. I know we're far beyond that at this point, but it would've been nice to get a feel for what the dub was going to be like.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom