• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

Disney is still airing reruns in May while CN stopped airing Pokemon right after XYZ ended. While Netflix is a possibility I've been (scared) prepared for, it doesn't seem Disney has lost anything yet.
I think Disney will still air the show and Netflix won't get it until the first season of the new series ends (similar to Sun & Moon where they had to wait for the season to end before they could put it up on the service) which won't be for a long while but anything is possible in this day and age.
I'm not sure exactly how far in advance the series gets dubbed
Last year in November is when they started dubbing the new series according to Rodger Parsons from a deleted tweet so around the time when it debuted in Japan and while the Alola League was still airing dub-wise.

Last year in November is when they started dubbing the new series according to Rodger Parsons from a deleted tweet so around the time when it debuted in Japan and while the Alola League was still airing dub-wise.

Ah, I didn't know that; thanks for sharing! Hopefully that means they got a fair amount of episodes done while things were still safe. I imagine that if enough episodes got done to last a few months, Disney can still go ahead and air them. I could see it being a problem if they had only gotten a handful of episodes done, and Disney then found themselves in a position where they didn't want to air 2-3 months of episodes and suddenly have to stop.

I could also see it potentially changing the way they usually debut the new season (by airing a new episode every day for week) and switching to one per week only in order to save up episodes, but that certainly wouldn't bother me.

I could also see it potentially changing the way they usually debut the new season (by airing a new episode every day for week) and switching to one per week only in order to save up episodes, but that certainly wouldn't bother me.

I could see them doing perhaps two episodes to debut the series with then one episode per week after that.

I don't know why people here are complaining about the possibility of Pokemon moving to Netflix. With netflix, we will have the possibility of a dub with unaltered music and even the Japanese voicing intact. With Disney, we will get the same unwatchable watered down product that we're receiving now. Also, a Netflix deal would mean a universal release worldwide rather than certain regions accessing the anime earlier than others. And the Mewtwo movie remake was far more successful than anything shown on Disney in the past year.

Do anyone here actually believe that Disney would allow the release of an official English sub on their streaming service? Of course they wouldn't, while Netflix would. Personally, I expect and I cannot wait for this new Netflix deal to happen.

I don't know why people here are complaining about the possibility of Pokemon moving to Netflix. With netflix, we will have the possibility of a dub with unaltered music and even the Japanese voicing intact. With Disney, we will get the same unwatchable watered down product that we're receiving now. Also, a Netflix deal would mean a universal release worldwide rather than certain regions accessing the anime earlier than others. And the Mewtwo movie remake was far more successful than anything shown on Disney in the past year.

Do anyone here actually believe that Disney would allow the release of an official English sub on their streaming service? Of course they wouldn't, while Netflix would. Personally, I expect and I cannot wait for this new Netflix deal to happen.

The Japanese version of Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution on Netflix uses the English opening/closing music. Also the subs on that are based off the English dub as well. It would be awesome to get official English subs from the original Japanese audio tho. We probably will still get all the music alterations and what not on the English dub. I can't imagine we'll ever get an one to one (or close to it) English dub honestly.

I don't know about that. People thought that we'd get longer opening themes under Disney XD and that clearly didn't happen. Plus, it didn't sound like the Mewtwo Strike Back Evolution movie was handled particularly well under Netflix. I still haven't seen it yet, but if the movie did have the English opening/closing music and had subs based on the English dub, then I don't think that they'd suddenly handle it differently for the next series. I'm all for having a better dub as much as the next person, but I think putting all of the blame on Disney instead of TPCI doesn't make much sense. The dub quality in SM was drastically different from XY, so it makes more sense to put the blame on people who actually dub the series. Disney just air it and might require some edits here and there, such as Meowth nearly dying gag early on in SM.

Now the point about a worldwide release is a good one, but I don't know if that would be a priority, especially when other networks in other countries are still going to air the series. Besides that, I think it makes more sense to release the movies via Netflix if they want a worldwide universal release. I'm pretty sure a big reason why they put the Mewtwo remake there was because they could have a new Pokemon movie available for everyone to watch on Pokemon Day. I'm not sure if it would be as big of a deal for everyone to get the episodes at the same time, especially when the next series isn't primarily focused on Sword/Shield.

I've also made it clear that I don't want to pay for another streaming service. I haven't gotten either Netflix or Disney+ despite all of the hype for both platforms and ideally, I'd like to keep it that way. This is clearly more of a personal reason, but I don't think it's that strange to see that not everyone is excited over having to get yet another streaming site in order to watch the dub legally.

SinnohBoi said:

No, but Netflix wouldn't be the one to make that call either. They wouldn't own the anime completely. They'd just have the rights to air new episodes. I imagine that decisions like making the sub version legally available would still be up to TPCI. With that in mind, I think it's questionable at best if TPCI would allow Netflix to have the subbed version available. They've had plenty of older seasons available on Netflix before, but never had any legal subs to go with them. It still feels like you're putting too much fault on Disney for the dub's quality when they aren't really the root of the problem like TPCI is.

Er, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't Disney still hold some of the rights to the dubbed series even if it were to stream on Netflix? I can't see Disney letting go of the series completely is all I'm saying.

Also I gotta laugh at it being called 'Pokemon Journeys' when there's hardly any traveling in this series despite what we were originally led to believe. Only SuMo had less traveling than this series does and look at the state of that.

"Journeys" is such a weird word. I always think it's spelled wrong.

Anyway, I don't love the title, but they couldn't really go with Sword and Shield and I didn't really expect them to revert back to just Pokemon either, so it works. Hopefully the emphasis on the travel in the apparent dub title means more of a focus on that aspect as the series progresses.

So can we start it calling it PJ instead of SS?
I wonder when would Bulbapedia address that, and change the name of the Pocket Monsters (2019) page from New Series, That’s one of the weirdest choices I’ve seen by an "encyclopaedia" to weirdly ignore official information just because it doesn’t have the words "Pokemon the Series" in the title.

Er, maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't Disney still hold some of the rights to the dubbed series even if it were to stream on Netflix? I can't see Disney letting go of the series completely is all I'm saying.

Just look at Pokemon M04-M07 to get an idea of what might happen. Those movies were distributed by Miramax (which was owned by Disney), and those movies have been withheld from the Twitch Pokemon Marathon in 2018-2019 due to distribution rights.

On a side note, I like using SS for the currently ongoing series. It refers to both the current generation of games (Sword and Shield), as well as the fact that it is the Seventh Series of the Pokemon anime.

Those movies were distributed by Miramax (which was owned by Disney), and those movies have been withheld from the Twitch Pokemon Marathon in 2018-2019 due to distribution rights.
And top it off Miramax was sold off by Disney to Filmyard Holdings and then to another company I believe. Shame the home releases for those movies have only gotten worse especially when they landed under Echo Bridge's hand with rather poor releases and apparently the Lionsgate re-releases are near identical to the Echo Bridge release. Also for the love of God, can someone tell them to get rid of the blue tint on Heroes too?

And top it off Miramax was sold off by Disney to Filmyard Holdings and then to another company I believe. Shame the home releases for those movies have only gotten worse especially when they landed under Echo Bridge's hand with rather poor releases and apparently the Lionsgate re-releases are near identical to the Echo Bridge release. Also for the love of God, can someone tell them to get rid of the blue tint on Heroes too?

And now ViacomCBS owns 49% of Miramax as well which the other 51% being owned by BeIN Media who is largely known for running BeIN Sports and Al Jazeera news (including the short lived but fantastic Al Jazeera America).

I don't know why people here are complaining about the possibility of Pokemon moving to Netflix. With netflix, we will have the possibility of a dub with unaltered music and even the Japanese voicing intact. With Disney, we will get the same unwatchable watered down product that we're receiving now.
Because Netflix is known for how unaltared their anime adaptations were...
GlitterForce09.jpg

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom