• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

Is it weird to say I'm glad? Obviously I love having a new episode to look forward to every week, but I'm happy the production are finally taking steps to prioritise their staff's safety. I imagine things may be different once it returns, whether they have to curtail/cut some plot elements if it is a long hiatus, and God forbid nothing should happen to any of the staff working on the show. I'm grateful for what we've had (and are continuing to have!) till now.

I completely agree. I love the anime and a part of me will be sad if they do go on a long hiatus, but I'm also relieved that they are taking measures to keep the staff safe as opposed to just forcing them to keep on working in spite of the risk factors involved. The safety and health of the staff and the voice cast should be the main priorities here.

The movie could be canceled for all I care, but they'll compromise on something. There's a reason why stuck to July premieres for 22 years, so expect the box office numbers to be affected.

There's no way that they'll cancel the movie altogether, especially when it features a new Legendary Pokemon. I imagine the box office numbers will be affected regardless of whether or not it is delayed because of how fewer theaters will probably be open.

Is it weird to say I'm glad? Obviously I love having a new episode to look forward to every week, but I'm happy the production are finally taking steps to prioritise their staff's safety. I imagine things may be different once it returns, whether they have to curtail/cut some plot elements if it is a long hiatus, and God forbid nothing should happen to any of the staff working on the show. I'm grateful for what we've had (and are continuing to have!) till now.

Oh I'm definitely glad that the studio is taking steps to ensure the safety and health of the voice actors. I'm just not looking forward to a long hiatus and the daily 'when is the anime coming back?/when are we getting new episode titles?' type of posts that we'll have to put up with when the hiatus takes effect. :X3:

Is it safe to assume that we'll be seeing all the episodes from that episode 20 preview (the one with Sobble and Raihan) before the show potentially goes on hiatus?
That's my guess. All of the dialogue we heard in that preview was probably taken directly from the recordings for those episodes, so they're probably already done those ones.

If the show does go on hiatus, wouldn't it be easy to post a pinned topic warning people not to post topics like "When are we getting new episode titles"? Some people do lack common sense I'm afraid to say, you just know they'll make topics asking this.

Did the anime that went on hiatus because of COVID-19 say that in the show itself or in tweets/announcements?

Uh oh.....

"Uh oh" what? That's just an article with a clickbait title that basically amounts to "Rica Matsumoto said some delays are happening, and Ms. Matsumoto works on Pokémon, so !!!!!!!!!!!!!" But, as others have pointed out in this thread, Rica Matsumoto has made it clear that she was not talking about Pocket Monsters.

Both the TV show and the movie are, as far as we know, still continuing production.

Hidden Mew said:
Delaying the movie is also likely to happen. I think it would depend on how the situation develops in Japan and how they respond to it, but pushing it back to sometime this fall wouldn't be a huge surprise.

The movies' tagline in Japan is 夏はポケモン, which is basically them saying "When you think summer, think Pokémon!" They're not going to push the movie back to any other time of year without kicking and screaming first.

TheLooneyRebel said:
Pay per view streaming could be offered much like Trolls World Tour and others are offering.

Japan's not going to do that.

The movies' tagline in Japan is 夏はポケモン, which is basically them saying "When you think summer, think Pokémon!" They're not going to push the movie back to any other time of year without kicking and screaming first.

That is a bit concerning. It's pretty questionable if theaters will be able to reopen in the summer for the U.S., so I'm not sure how that fairs for Japan in this case. I could kind of understand why they'd want to keep the movie's release for July since they've been doing that for over twenty years, but if the health risks are still too great, then they may be forced to move it to later in the year.

Japan is appallingly bad at handling this pandemic lol. I wouldn't put it past OLM to try to release the movie as scheduled as movie theaters are still open to the public, even now.

Most of the film's competition has already rescheduled, though, so it really seems like only a matter of time before OLM has to bite the bullet and reschedule Coco as well. Still, I have the feeling they're going to wait until the last moment possible before announcing anything.

On another note, with anime con season more or less being done for the year I think it's safe to say we won't see any preview screenings at Anime Expo this year.

Japan is appallingly bad at handling this pandemic lol. I wouldn't put it past OLM to try to release the movie as scheduled as movie theaters are still open to the public, even now.

Most of the film's competition has already rescheduled, though, so it really seems like only a matter of time before OLM has to bite the bullet and reschedule Coco as well. Still, I have the feeling they're going to wait until the last moment possible before announcing anything.

On another note, with anime con season more or less being done for the year I think it's safe to say we won't see any preview screenings at Anime Expo this year.

I hope you and everyone of this forum stay safe.

I’ve got no work, so I decided to take a long vacation

They did it guys, they have written Pikachu out of the show in favor of Riolu.

Joking aside: They prolly can do this easier since most likely all episodes up to episode 35/40 have been recorded already, so if there is an hiatus in the anime, it will prolly be for only 1 or 2 weeks.

Even if an episode is finished and ready to air, it may be delayed in order to keep the production schedule stable. It's easier to be "6 episodes behind" than "0 episodes behind". Yes, that didn't happen in 2011, but I don't remember the earthquake directly affecting the episodes' production.

Regarding the movie, there should be another trailer by now as well as VA data and manga adaptation news, judging by patterns...They might be just waiting for some DLC news to be released first, but even then it's suspicious.

Regarding the movie, there should be another trailer by now as well as VA data and manga adaptation news, judging by patterns...They might be just waiting for some DLC news to be released first, but even then it's suspicious.

I feel like the movie is definitely delayed at this point because Adamant would normally be posting movie updates every other day like he usually does every year around this time, but these past two month he's hardly posted anything about the movie because apparently there hasn't been any new promo material in a while. And without proper promo, the movie would probably flop anyways even if it were released on schedule.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom