• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN021: Convey the Wave Guidance! Satoshi and the Mysterious Egg!!

With Ash having aura does that make the movie canon. And if so, which movies are canon to the anime?
M01-M13 are all considered canon to the main series anime, things only started to become murky when M14 pulled off the dual movie nonsense.
M01: Mewtwo appears in the show.
M02: Lugia is referenced in a Johto episode.
M03: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M04: Considering who Sam is, likely canon.
M05: Potentially canon, due to Ash recognizing Latios in Sinnoh.
M06: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M07: The Professor from the movie and his research are mentioned in a Battle Frontier episode.
M08: Ash's Aura powers are introduced.
M09: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M10: The Lunar Wing that Dawn buys in the movie is later seen in the main series.
M11-M12: Direct sequels to M10.
M13: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M14: Unconfirmed which version is canon, if either one is.
M15: Canon status unconfirmed.
M16: Was preceded by a special episode which featured Virgil and mentioned him having won the Unova League.
M17-M19: Canon status unconfirmed.

And then, starting from M20, the movies follow their own continuity (aside from M22, which is a remake).

M01: Mewtwo appears in the show.
M02: Lugia is referenced in a Johto episode.
M03: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M04: Considering who Sam is, likely canon.
M05: Potentially canon, due to Ash recognizing Latios in Sinnoh.
M06: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M07: The Professor from the movie and his research are mentioned in a Battle Frontier episode.
M08: Ash's Aura powers are introduced.
M09: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M10: The Lunar Wing that Dawn buys in the movie is later seen in the main series.
M11-M12: Direct sequels to M10.
M13: Canon status unconfirmed, but likely.
M14: Unconfirmed which version is canon, if either one is.
M15: Canon status unconfirmed.
M16: Was preceded by a special episode which featured Virgil and mentioned him having won the Unova League.
M17-M19: Canon status unconfirmed.

And then, starting from M20, the movies follow their own continuity (aside from M22, which is a remake).

I would also argue that M19 is canon, since it featured the start of Alain's gym battle with Korrina, which we saw the conclusion of in the main series anime in XY123.

In addition, the special episode "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon" showed scenes from M02-M05 that were obtained from Pikachu's memories, however the canonicity of said episode is kind of unconfirmed as well.

I would also argue that M19 is canon, since it featured the start of Alain's gym battle with Korrina, which we saw the conclusion of in the main series anime in XY123.
Oh, right! I completely forgot about that! You're right!
Are you referring to the one from XY? Because that one was Pikachu's VA.
Yup. I remembered that.

Hmm...a bit of a headcanon of mine, regarding SS002 is how Ash being able to hear Lugia is proof of some kind of connection to that Legendary, probably meaning it's the same Lugia from M02.
Could be, although no solid proof has been given yet.
Oh, and I also forgot that the Genesect Army from this movie was mentioned several times in the main series and even once appeared in a flashback.

Could be, although no solid proof has been given yet.

Oh, and I also forgot that the Genesect Army from this movie was mentioned several times in the main series and even once appeared in a flashback.

*checks bulbapedia*
Oh shoot, I never knew that!

Also, final comment on your original list, the canon status of M01-M10 are pretty much confirmed through an official anime map that pinpoints all of the movie locations in the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh regions.

The map is also on Bulbapedia, on the page "Timeline of events in the anime".

*checks bulbapedia*
Oh shoot, I never knew that!

Also, final comment on your original list, the canon status of M01-M10 are pretty much confirmed through an official anime map that pinpoints all of the movie locations in the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh regions.

The map is also on Bulbapedia, on the page "Timeline of events in the anime".
Good point! Thanks! And glad to have made you learn something new!

M:17 is also canon, because of Astrid (Absol trainer).
It’s really great how they gave her a semi-recurring role. It’d be cool if they did something like that with movie characters more often. Just a shame we didn’t see Ash’s full battle with her in the Kalos league.

It’s really great how they gave her a semi-recurring role. It’d be cool if they did something like that with movie characters more often. Just a shame we didn’t see Ash’s full battle with her in the Kalos league.

The cutting was so weird on their battle. I remember Hawlucha making an attack on regular Absol before it cut to Mega Absol fainting. At least Hawlucha got to pay back its loss in the movie!

The cutting was so weird on their battle. I remember Hawlucha making an attack on regular Absol before it cut to Mega Absol fainting. At least Hawlucha got to pay back its loss in the movie!
That was because the regular Absol shot was almost directly taken from the first Mega Evolution Special. Just the background was changed.

I was so excited for this episode and was determined to watch it the day it aired. Why it took me until Friday is beyond me...not like I have anything better to do. But I'm so glad I finally got around to it: I loved this episode!

I've really enjoyed a majority of the Ash-focused episodes this series. This one is especially great because not only was Ash portrayed fantastically, but we actually got callbacks to him having relatively strong aura! It wasn't stated outright, but it was pretty obvious, and I really liked that they chose to play it that way. The fact that it only appeared when Ash was battling was very cool.

I said it in the preview thread, but I really like the route they took with the egg where it's been passed around and refuses to hatch. That's a different storyline than we're used to with an egg, and it worked really well with the aura connection. The fact that Riolu couldn't sense the aura when it hatched and rejected Ash as a result was a nice way to set up the rest of the episode.

Riolu is awesome. I love its personality! It does remind me of Scraggy, but still a little different? I always think it's sweet when Ash has a baby Pokemon who acts like a baby, but I'm glad they don't do that every single time. Riolu being so stubborn and wanting to fight everything and anything was pretty fun to watch. And it's always nice to see Ash go along with his Pokemon's personalities and not try to change them. Instead, he adjusts to them, and this episode was a great example of that.

Two of the other major things that stood out to me this episode:

-Gou was on point here. I criticize the writers when they drop the ball on him, so I want to give credit when they execute him well too. He was showing off a whole lot of personality this episode and was a bit feistier than usual, which I enjoyed! It was funny how marveled by Ash he was (the fact that Ash had actually seen a Pokemon egg was so fascinating to him, how confused he was by Ash being able to "hear voices I can't", calling him mysterious like an egg, apologizing to the egg for saying it couldn't hear them, etc) and how excited he was by the prospect of eggs. I'd actually love it if, later on down the line in this series, they gave Gou his own Pokemon egg. He still made a boring, pointless capture, but at least it was only one and didn't take up too much screentime.

-I wasn't expecting another PWC battle, but I guess it's a good thing they can sneak them into these kinds of episodes and keep Ash advancing without having to dedicate entire episodes to them (although I do hope we get plenty more episodes that are focused on it!) I just wish Ash would start using Pokemon other than Pikachu. I like watching Pikachu battle, but his other Pokemon are getting shafted, especially Dragonite.

Overall, a really enjoyable episode!

I was so excited for this episode and was determined to watch it the day it aired. Why it took me until Friday is beyond me...not like I have anything better to do. But I'm so glad I finally got around to it: I loved this episode!

I've really enjoyed a majority of the Ash-focused episodes this series. This one is especially great because not only was Ash portrayed fantastically, but we actually got callbacks to him having relatively strong aura! It wasn't stated outright, but it was pretty obvious, and I really liked that they chose to play it that way. The fact that it only appeared when Ash was battling was very cool.

I said it in the preview thread, but I really like the route they took with the egg where it's been passed around and refuses to hatch. That's a different storyline than we're used to with an egg, and it worked really well with the aura connection. The fact that Riolu couldn't sense the aura when it hatched and rejected Ash as a result was a nice way to set up the rest of the episode.

Riolu is awesome. I love its personality! It does remind me of Scraggy, but still a little different? I always think it's sweet when Ash has a baby Pokemon who acts like a baby, but I'm glad they don't do that every single time. Riolu being so stubborn and wanting to fight everything and anything was pretty fun to watch. And it's always nice to see Ash go along with his Pokemon's personalities and not try to change them. Instead, he adjusts to them, and this episode was a great example of that.

Two of the other major things that stood out to me this episode:

-Gou was on point here. I criticize the writers when they drop the ball on him, so I want to give credit when they execute him well too. He was showing off a whole lot of personality this episode and was a bit feistier than usual, which I enjoyed! It was funny how marveled by Ash he was (the fact that Ash had actually seen a Pokemon egg was so fascinating to him, how confused he was by Ash being able to "hear voices I can't", calling him mysterious like an egg, apologizing to the egg for saying it couldn't hear them, etc) and how excited he was by the prospect of eggs. I'd actually love it if, later on down the line in this series, they gave Gou his own Pokemon egg. He still made a boring, pointless capture, but at least it was only one and didn't take up too much screentime.

-I wasn't expecting another PWC battle, but I guess it's a good thing they can sneak them into these kinds of episodes and keep Ash advancing without having to dedicate entire episodes to them (although I do hope we get plenty more episodes that are focused on it!) I just wish Ash would start using Pokemon other than Pikachu. I like watching Pikachu battle, but his other Pokemon are getting shafted, especially Dragonite.

Overall, a really enjoyable episode!

In fairness to Ash's battle choices he's had two challengers in a row surprise him: if he was able to hunt someone down for a battle himself he'd probably have a team on hand for it. I'm pretty sure he ONLY had Pikachu on hand at the time, hence a 1 v 1.

In fairness to Ash's battle choices he's had two challengers in a row surprise him: if he was able to hunt someone down for a battle himself he'd probably have a team on hand for it. I'm pretty sure he ONLY had Pikachu on hand at the time, hence a 1 v 1.

That's a fair point. I'm not used to him having all of his Pokemon on hand anymore...kind of makes me sad!

Also, I'd love to see Ash hunt someone down for a battle himself. That'd be interesting to see; I hope that's something they do in the future.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom