• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you NOT miss about the older games?

Moves like wrap and fire spin from Gen 1.

The frozen status condition which was basically a death spell.

The older sprites from Gen 1. Mew is just nightmare fuel.

Only being able to play as a boy with a cap or a girl with pigtails that defy gravity.

Kurt being a troll and giving you balls that doesn't do what they are intended to do. Funny how the Love Balls only work on the same sex lol.

Spending hours to try to catch a shiny legendary but then it kills itself with struggle or you just run out of Ultra Balls because it's just that hard to catch.

Joey and the others harassing us over the phone. The mom impulsively spending all of our money on random junk that we don't need (great role model!).

The very expensive "DLC". :p

HMs, for sure, especially when one of them is Rock Smash.

That atrocious level curve in Johto, as well as the sheer lack of Johto Mons IN Johto. Those facts make the Johto games unbearable to me. At least Gen 4 actually gave the Johto Mons real movepools, as in Gen 2 they were completely useless compared to their Kanto counterparts.

Single-use TMs, with many also being a single copy per file (mainly ones Gym Leaders give you). You really had to be certain that the Mon you were teaching a TM to is the one you want to have said TM, like Earthquake on Garchomp, or you have to either stockpile them or cheat. Sure, TRs are pretty much them reincarnated, but they are ridiculously easy to grind and stockpile like mad, and you can relearn them at Move Relearners, something that I wasn't aware of at first. As a result, TRs are what pre-Gen 5 TMs should've been. But, generally speaking, single-use TMs from Gen 4 and lower are very, very annoying.

Pokemon running away outside of Safari Zones. Gen 1 and 2 were horrid in that regard, especially when the Mon was a rare one. It basically meant that you had to be insanely lucky to nab a rare Mon before it decided to make itself scarce and force you to start looking for one all over again.

And, finally (at least at the moment), Poke Balls missing. That must've been the bane of everyone's experience, when there was a chance you could MISS a throw and waste a ball. When it's tied into the above point, it became really evil, like how Dratini could avoid being caught in a Safari Ball because it wasn't "strong" enough to catch it and thus missed. I can only wonder how many people have lost valuable Mons that way.

-HMs
-Single use TMs thanks to the "but what if there's someone better to use it on" situation.
-Stark Mountain.
-The Battle Frontier.
-The Elite Four.
-Pokémon not having varied movesets. Or at least that don't learn offensive moves of four different types.
-Third versions.
-Events being held in specific places (as in, the US, Japan...) which means I had to cheat to get those.
-Team Aqua and Team Magma.
-The slowness in Gens I, II and IV.
-Munchlax's trees.
-Feebas's tiles.
-Blue (the character).
-Fog.

-Pokemon Musicals
-Sinnoh Super Contests
-No Running Shoes
-Lack of physical/special split
-Pokemon fleeing from battles (in Generation II)
-Stat experience
-Lack of abilities (some Pokemon, such as Azumarill, are useless without them)
-Rotation battles
-SOS battles
-Single-use TMs, of course
-Legendary Pokemon having no connection to the storyline
-Battle faciities only awarding Battle Points after defeating 7 trainers in a row and not after each victory
-Small regional Dexes

As far as game design goes, I'd pretty much echo what's been said so far - HMs (my god Corviknight Taxi is the best thing ever), slow walking speed, pre-phys/spec split, limited TMs, shallow Dex selection, bad movepools. I also don't miss the lack of transparency/accessibility when it came to EVs and IVs. Oh and not having a cooperative battling option like Max Raids.

Story-wise, I'm glad they've started to do more with the leftover Starter (giving it to Shauna/Kukui/Leon). Was always kinda sad having it spend the rest of its life as a desk ornament.

I can't really fault them for anything having to do with quality of life advancements, but playing Sword, with its wonderfully streamlined UI and accessibility features (like Jack in the Pokémon Centers letting me relearn moves for any Pokémon in the party or PC) and then going back to an older game is a very painful regression. I just can't do it anymore. All those inefficiencies add up.

-Battle faciities only awarding Battle Points after defeating 7 trainers in a row and not after each victory

God yeah. Sword & Shield was the first time I ever bothered to get a full 200 (hell, even just 50) streak at the Battle Tower. It's actually kind of fun now, albeit repetitive. A Battle Frontier with mechanics like what we have now is something I'd actually probably really enjoy.

- Single use TMs,
- lack of Super Training,
- no trainer customisation,
- no physical/special split, which makes some Pokemon really suck
- no Ability Capsules or those nature-changing things from Gen VIII
- large numbers of region locked or Japan-only events which I invariably missed
- certain features locked to online (looking at you, Berries & Gen V Dream World.)
- a limited Pokedex. This really annoyed me in the Gen III games, which don't have it as bad as I & II, but it was still hard to make a team of strong Pokemon with a balanced mix of types because there just weren't that many of them.
- "internal battery has run dry" Not only that, but many Gen I & II cartridges can no longer save because of a similar issue. This isn't something to worry about with the newer games.

Another thing I do not miss: Having to start over on the battle streak after one loss. I loved the Battle Tower from Sword and Shield purely for the fact that I don't have to go through everything again just to get where I was.

Thanks to other posts, I remembered a few other things I'm glad are gone.

Battle Frontier. Seriously, why is this so popular? I don't see its appeal at all. They're just battling facilities, now equipped with annoying gimmicks, and those gimmicks aren't fun to me. Plus, you need "real" (as in competitively bred) Mons to really exceed in them, so your main/casual team will be sidelined, as they won't last a minute. Those things are just not fun to me, as there are enough annoying gimmicks to begin with. Not to mention you need a "kill streak" in order to reap the rewards (Battle Points) instead of, you know, getting them at the end of each battle. Plus, the BP rates are low, making it extra tedious to grind on them. The Sword/Shield Battle Tower is an improvement on the subject, but I still don't like such facilities to begin with, so I only used it enough to get the IV checker and promptly abandoned it.

Region, or even city location locked events. Like, really, those are just plain unfair, especially if you live in isolated areas.

Limited movepools combined with mismatched stats. The further back you go, the worse it gets. At least most (keyword: most) Mons have more diversity nowadays, though some still get the short end of the stick at times. Theivul and Unfezant really got shafted in both departments, with the former being a special attacker but mostly got physical moves while the latter is a physical attacker but got mostly special moves.

Lack of Physical/Special split. This was one of Gen 4's biggest accomplishments. Anything before that is just unplayable to me due to how the mechanics functioned back then.

Team Rocket. The less said about these overrated goons, the better. That goes for their leader, too. And don't get me started on Rainbow Rocket.

Poke-Amie. Yeah, it started the affection mechanic, but with my recent playthrough in X I realize how tedious it is. You have to do each Mon one by one, which wastes time and battery life. Camping is SOOOOOO much easier, as you can do the entire team in a shorter amount of time. Refresh isn't immune to this issue, either, but at least it was a bit easier to use, especially since you could "cheat" with Rainbow Beans.

Fog. The worst of the worst, which gave birth to the move Defog. Now, granted, Defog is considerably better nowadays, but when it was an HM and needed to clear out the most annoying "weather" of them all, it was the pits. However, I place that blame on Fog itself, not Defog, as the move itself became better over time, but the "weather" itself is just horrid.

Slow walking speed, especially before Running Shoes come into play. The fact that Sword/Shield allows us to run by just simply pushing the analog stick as hard/soft as we want is a godsend. And we also don't need to hold the B Button to run anymore, either, which is very helpful.

Feebas tiles. Good God, what was GF smoking when they came up with this idea?! Limiting Feebas to very select areas was bad enough, but then you have to limit it to select tiles was just evil. In Sinnoh it was far worse, as those tiles change DAILY, meaning finding the already hard-to-find damn fish became even harder if you ran out of time.

Feebas tiles. Good God, what was GF smoking when they came up with this idea?! Limiting Feebas to very select areas was bad enough, but then you have to limit it to select tiles was just evil. In Sinnoh it was far worse, as those tiles change DAILY, meaning finding the already hard-to-find damn fish became even harder if you ran out of time.
The same thing that the Tecmo guys were smoking when they made that beetle monster from Monster Rancher. Also, the tiles changed daily too in RSE IIRC.

The same thing that the Tecmo guys were smoking when they made that beetle monster from Monster Rancher. Also, the tiles changed daily too in RSE IIRC.

Oh, yeah, I forgot that RSE had the tiles change daily, too. But, to my defense, I only played Sapphire as my sole Gen 3 game, didn't even know about the Feebas tiles, the internet wasn't in full bloom at the time to look it up, and I, by sheer chance, found one of those tiles when I was fishing for something else. So, at the time, I didn't know that was a thing, as I just happened to find Feebas purely by chance, thus I forgot that the tiles changed daily in RSE, only remembering that it happens in Sinnoh because of my love of Platinum.

Oh, yeah, I forgot that RSE had the tiles change daily, too. But, to my defense, I only played Sapphire as my sole Gen 3 game, didn't even know about the Feebas tiles, the internet wasn't in full bloom at the time to look it up, and I, by sheer chance, found one of those tiles when I was fishing for something else. So, at the time, I didn't know that was a thing, as I just happened to find Feebas purely by chance, thus I forgot that the tiles changed daily in RSE, only remembering that it happens in Sinnoh because of my love of Platinum.
Don't worry. I only knew about Feebas when I discovered Serebii, so I spent like two/three years wondering where to get that damn fish.

Now that I think about it, knowing how complicated things were with Feebas, I wouldn't blame people at the time for believing outlandish "cheats" considering that the Feebas method looks like one.

-An odd one, but limited bag space in gen 1. You can hold only like 20 different things and had to go back and forth between the Item storage in PCs and your bag. It's especially annoying if you're obtaining different items, like HMs and TMs, and have to lug them around because you don't want to use them right away or can't store them right away.

-No physical/special split. It's weird because a lot of Pokemon had stats that didn't match their typing at all. That, combined with really shallow and limited options for movesets, makes battling needlessly tedious for no real good reason.

-A lot of glitches and coding coding errors where things didn't work as intended. For example, ghost being weak to Psychic in gen 1, and Moon balls only working on Pokemon that evolve with Burn Heals.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom