• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

At this point could the anime even be salvaged? When you consider the time it takes to produce an episode and get it ready to air in comparison to the cycle of the video games you are looking at a series that might run out of time before it even accomplishes anything. I really hope things pick up in Japan as this virus has devastated the entire world, however, this is a virus that will come in waves and this could severely hinder the anime. We're talking about a year or even more of production gone.

The fate of the anime could be dependent on Japan's response to this virus, but at the same time it really doesn't matter if the anime is swept under the rug or not. This is far bigger than that and we should value our health and wellbeing over anything else. That's why I hope that they don't rush back into production when or if it gets better. Anyway, tragic circumstances all-round.

This is so sad for me that the anime is taking a long break for an unknown period of time, so why we get no new episodes is unfortunately due to COVID-19 in Japan, the Season 23 production of Pokémon is delayed and TV Tokyo consequently had no choice but to rerun (the first 22?) episodes when people may be away.

This is so sad for me that the anime is taking a long break for an unknown period of time, so why we get no new episodes is unfortunately due to COVID-19 in Japan, the Season 23 production of Pokémon is delayed and TV Tokyo consequently had no choice but to rerun (the first 22?) episodes when people may be away.

The thing is: Pokemon cannot afford to take a break longer than a month to six weeks.

Suggesting when the anime could return is potential flame bait. My comment on the review for JN022 suggesting a January 2021 return at worst was met with controversy, and I had to delete it. And like what nickdt said, the anime cannot take a break lasting longer than a few months at most; holding the series until 2021 is very unfeasible, not just due to costs in halting production, but also because keeping Ash and Goh's adventures on holt for too long could lead to the anime being rushed in time for Generation IX come around 2023, provided the next main series games are not also affected by the coronavirus.

I'm expecting new episodes to start airing again around June, when The Isle of Armor is released.

Last edited:
Getting the shower up and running is hardly the biggest things you worry about but, this series could really suffer because of the break... think how BW seemed to be rewritten and multiply it by 10.

I really REALLY hope this doesn’t lead to the next three episodes being canceled when the anime returns. Even if this series has been super episodic, SS024 might be introducing a new conflict, and SS025 seems to promise continuity. We saw how BW’s arc was affected back in 2011 :( Despite this, I’m hoping the crew stays safe <3

I seriously doubt that the incoming episodes will be cancelled. The BW Plasma arc was another thing entirely, due to the episodes showing destructions and Japan being affected by a powerful earthquake. The two situations can’t be compared, as the incoming episodes don’t feature “illness” or anything that could be seen as “inappropriate for the time being”.

Speaking of that, I think it could have been very awkward if one of the incoming episodes was the Gengar’s capture, due to Ash getting a flu there. So, let’s consider ourselves lucky that the episode aired way before this crisis, or we could have probably gotten another “Tauros situation”.

I really REALLY hope this doesn’t lead to the next three episodes being canceled when the anime returns. Even if this series has been super episodic, SS024 might be introducing a new conflict, and SS025 seems to promise continuity. We saw how BW’s arc was affected back in 2011 :( Despite this, I’m hoping the crew stays safe <3

I doubt SS025 will be canceled due to its overall plot relevance. However, if SS024 doesn't introduce a new overarching conflict for Team Rocket, or even if it does but they don't have any payoff planned for a long time, much like they did with the Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma episodes in Best Wishes, then I could definitely potentially see SS023 and SS024 being canceled or at least repositioned, especially if the hiatus lasts more than a month or two.

At this point could the anime even be salvaged? When you consider the time it takes to produce an episode and get it ready to air in comparison to the cycle of the video games you are looking at a series that might run out of time before it even accomplishes anything. I really hope things pick up in Japan as this virus has devastated the entire world, however, this is a virus that will come in waves and this could severely hinder the anime. We're talking about a year or even more of production gone.

The fate of the anime could be dependent on Japan's response to this virus, but at the same time it really doesn't matter if the anime is swept under the rug or not. This is far bigger than that and we should value our health and wellbeing over anything else. That's why I hope that they don't rush back into production when or if it gets better. Anyway, tragic circumstances all-round.
In all honesty, this reads like wishful thinking given your general style. I don't know how long this break will last, but it won't be anywhere close to a year and it just means that there will be fewer fillers down the road. The games may very well be affected too, by the way.

But the episodes have been completed at least untill episode 30 more or less.

Maybe they are doing the break now for two or three weeks and then not have any break during the summer. Due to probably no Pokémon movie this year.

The thing is: Pokemon cannot afford to take a break longer than a month to six weeks.

They may not have a choice in the matter if the virus situation gets really bad for Japan. I truly hope that it doesn't, but since stuff like public transportation is such a common way for people to get around in Japan, it might be too risky to jump back into production before it's at least safe enough. Public transportation has been extremely limited and reduced where I live, but I don't know if Japan can afford to do the same thing. Other countries have been sheltering in place since March, but Japan just started to really tackle this situation from what I understand, which is concerning on multiple levels. Hopefully it isn't a long hiatus, but I'd rather that they take a long break as opposed to the production crew risking their health and the safety of everyone around them. A lot of it depends on how Japan handles the virus situation going forward and the quality of their health care system.

Suggesting when the anime could return is potential flame bait. My comment on the review for SS022 suggesting a January 2021 return at worst was met with controversy, and I had to delete it. And like what nickdt said, the anime cannot take a break lasting longer than a few months at most; holding the series until 2021 is very unfeasible, not just due to costs in halting production, but also because keeping Ash and Gou's adventures on holt for too long could lead to the anime being rushed in time for Generation IX come around 2023, provided the next main series games are not also affected by the coronavirus.

I'm expecting new episodes to start airing again around June, when The Isle of Armor is released.

There is a pretty good chance that this will also impact the development of the games as well. They're probably done with The Isle of Armor, or at least further along in development where they can work on it remotely, but I don't know about The Crown Tundra, let alone any other main series games that are currently in development. They could possibly still get The Crown Tundra out by late this year, but I don't know about getting the next generation out within the usual three year time frame or any other games they have planned for this generation. They might be able to work on some projects remotely, but I imagine that would slow down the process quite a bit when they aren't working in the same building and possibly with less equipment.

Getting the shower up and running is hardly the biggest things you worry about but, this series could really suffer because of the break... think how BW seemed to be rewritten and multiply it by 10.

I seriously doubt that's going to happen. The Team Plasma two-parter had to be removed because it did show imagery that was too similar to an earthquake that just happened in Japan around that time. There wouldn't be anything similar to the virus in the show to make them rework scenes or remove episodes, so I doubt that the hiatus is really going to impact the series' overall plot and episodes.

I am somewhat surprised that they didn't go through the episodes that they had already promoted with that preview, but it is obviously for the best. While they most likely do have quite a few episodes already animated, they may not have been fully recorded and edited for TV. Going for a break now could also help them to ease back into production instead of going through every episode that is ready to air right away. The main priority should be to keep the cast and production crew safe and healthy, so I hope that they don't rush back into production before it's okay.

Oh damn, Corona I hate you so much! I understand the global health concerns, but....a week without a new Pokemon episode just doesn't fell right or complete...really really sad!

Two questions:
1) Is it confirmed that all shows on TV Tokyo are affected or is it just Pokemon? (If the latter is true, it would be a reason to be concerned)
2) Why can't they just air the new episodes that have already been produced?

Oh damn, Corona I hate you so much! I understand the global health concerns, but....a week without a new Pokemon episode just doesn't fell right or complete...really really sad!

Two questions:
1) Is it confirmed that all shows on TV Tokyo are affected or is it just Pokemon? (If the latter is true, it would be a reason to be concerned)
2) Why can't they just air the new episodes that have already been produced?

I have heard of a few other series being delayed, mostly seasonal titles, but I don't think that this has affected all of the shows on TV Tokyo yet. It's probably just a matter of time before other long running series have to take a break. As for the second question, my guess is that they didn't want to use up all of the new episodes that have been produced already. That would potentially result in a longer break down the road. It would be easier to resume production when they already have some episodes ready to air while they work on more of them as opposed to starting production with no episodes ready to air. It's also possible that some of the episodes that were featured in the trailer weren't fully recorded or edited yet.

And why is that? From what I've heard the ratings are pretty crappy anyways so it doesn't seem like anything of value would be lost if the series goes on break for a long time. Hell didn't it go on break for 4 months back in 1997/1998? That was during its ratings peak iirc and yet those 4 months didn't really affect the show's success.

And why is that? From what I've heard the ratings are pretty crappy anyways so it doesn't seem like anything of value would be lost if the series goes on break for a long time. Hell didn't it go on break for 4 months back in 1997/1998? That was during its ratings peak iirc and yet those 4 months didn't really affect the show's success.
That was because they had a PR disaster, and it didn't change much other than having a planned New Year's special get cancelled.

During 1997/1998 you didn't have all the Social Media yet, nor was the PC streaming as big as it is today.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom