• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

At this point could the anime even be salvaged? When you consider the time it takes to produce an episode and get it ready to air in comparison to the cycle of the video games you are looking at a series that might run out of time before it even accomplishes anything. I really hope things pick up in Japan as this virus has devastated the entire world, however, this is a virus that will come in waves and this could severely hinder the anime. We're talking about a year or even more of production gone.

The fate of the anime could be dependent on Japan's response to this virus, but at the same time it really doesn't matter if the anime is swept under the rug or not. This is far bigger than that and we should value our health and wellbeing over anything else. That's why I hope that they don't rush back into production when or if it gets better. Anyway, tragic circumstances all-round.

You're being transparent. We all know that you want the anime to fail because you've made it clear many times in one of your rant threads that you think the anime is trash these days. So spare us your words of caution when we all know deep down that you think this hiatus is a good thing for the sake of your own wishes to see the anime flop completely. By the way I don't think that production will be impacted as badly as you say it will since most of the upcoming episodes were probably already finished any way.

Not THIS again.

The TV Show is bankrolled by the rest of franchise. If the games, toys and merchandise were selling poorly they'd be in trouble. Yet they're doing about as well as ever, if not better. No one could be watching the Show or Movies, and they'd still keep chugging along because they can afford it even without many people watching or caring. This hiatus will do little harm in the long run.

They'll recover from this just as they did the Seizure Incident and the Banned 2-Parter.
I just hope PM19 picks up after these episodes as the the trailer implied.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. It's sad because the next episodes had mysteries or cool things to look forward to, but understandable because of what we're living. Let's have hope that this will only lasts 2 months.

Also, it seems that some people have to...reflect on their BW023 PTSD. They aren't going to cancel an episode like that if it doesn't deal with a sensible issue. If an episode affects the game marketing because it's filler or whatever they'll release it in 1-hour specials, but even that's not likely to happen since it's clear they need that extra week.

I'm getting tired of seeing everything I enjoy being closed down or canceled. No one can go anywhere because everywhere is closed. No one can watch anything because of everything being canceled or postpone. It's just getting so annoying at this point that I've grown sick of it in more ways then one.

During 1997/1998 you didn't have all the Social Media yet, nor was the PC streaming as big as it is today.

And this is relevant to my original point... how exactly?

You're being transparent. We all know that you want the anime to fail because you've made it clear many times in one of your rant threads that you think the anime is trash these days. So spare us your words of caution when we all know deep down that you think this hiatus is a good thing for the sake of your own wishes to see the anime flop completely. By the way I don't think that production will be impacted as badly as you say it will since most of the upcoming episodes were probably already finished any way.

Yeah just a month ago he said 'Just to be safe, let's just cancel the entire series and pretend pokemon 2019 never existed.' So yeah, I don't think he really cares about the safety of the cast and production crew whatsoever or about the burden that this pandemic puts on the show as a whole.

There's been a trend over the last few generations of the anime's ratings getting lower and lower. With the unpopularity of Go, and Koharut to a somewhat lesser extent plus the lack of any Gen 8 focus, its not hard to see why some might think the anime was going to flop

Yeah just a month ago he said 'Just to be safe, let's just cancel the entire series and pretend pokemon 2019 never existed.' So yeah, I don't think he really cares about the safety of the cast and production crew whatsoever or about the burden that this pandemic puts on the show as a whole.

Initially I thought you two were jumping to conclusions but now this has provided some context for me, and no, I don't agree with the idea that anime should flop, its the only anime I really watch with any kind of regularity.

Last edited:
im so sad that this series was cancelled until 2022 :(
i wish those people in wuhan would not sell those animals so this would never happen, first bts getting top trending on twitter, then trudeau getting number 1 on youtube’s trending list, and now this!!!! what’s next???? hornets having the covid disease in their venom? trump dies from covid19?

So, basically we all become what the Japanese called hikikomori for the next two years?

Welp, that puts a bit of a damper on my plans of moving to Italy when I graduate.

@The Archer, the virus doesn't recognize borders or nationality which is why the entire world needs social distancing. Also, if Harvard is saying something they probably know what they are talking about, they are professionals after all.

Last edited:
What if they air two episodes in one week to make up for it. Lol according to America my country (Belgium) has the highiest death rate. That comes because we count people in retire homes who could possibly have died due Covid-19.

I'm getting tired of seeing everything I enjoy being closed down or canceled. No one can go anywhere because everywhere is closed. No one can watch anything because of everything being canceled or postpone. It's just getting so annoying at this point that I've grown sick of it in more ways then one.

I know how you feel--I'm sure we ALL do--but there's NOTHING we can do about it until someone comes up with a treatment. And since COVID-19 is a new, mutant strain, that could take a while...

Until then the best thing people can do is keep clean and keep their distance from each other. It sucks beyond words, but we is powerless against it. :cry:
People can get mad and frustrated about it all they want, but the virus doesn't care and will infect or kill those who dare defy it.
All we can do is muddle through the pandemic until the virus runs out of people to infect or someone finds a way to treat it.

Pocket Monsters will get by, it always does. Until then we have to survive to be there when it happens.

Last edited:
What if they air two episodes in one week to make up for it. Lol according to America my country (Belgium) has the highiest death rate. That comes because we count people in retire homes who could possibly have died due Covid-19.
I'd rather the staff not be worked to death. I don't think anyone wants that, not even SinnohBoi. At least I hope not.

My biggest concern is this anime potentially overlapping with the gen 9 games once those come out. I hope to God that Game Freak isn't being forced or isn't forcing their employees to work on those games during this pandemic. That would be horrible. Surely they've halted production of those games and even the SwSh DLC to stay safe and healthy, right?

Unfortunate, but kind of had a feeling this was coming sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty confident that none of the episodes that were advertised to us will be cancelled. This is moreso of an issue with not being able to proceed with production rather than the episodes themselves having sensitive content. The fact that we got a preview for the next episode is promising as well. If development has already begun on production of upcoming games (which I'm assuming it has), much of that has likely had to be halted as well, so I don't see that having too big of an impact in terms of the anime now. The question is more or less how long the hiatus will go on for. Personally, I think we'll see the show back before the end of the year, but that's just a guess. This whole situation is unprecedented and really hard to track.

I sincerely hope everyone who works on the anime stays safe and healthy during this time. I know how frustrating seeing everything get shut down and losing distractions is (I definitely have my bad days!), but ultimately it's for the best. I live in a "hot spot" and it's honestly horrifying to watch this virus rip through and cause this amount of destruction. My dad caught the virus but has fortunately recovered. I know many people who sadly haven't been as fortunate.

Out of curiosity, are there other anime shows on hold? The only one I'm currently following is the new Digimon, which is still running by this point (even though it aired 3 episodes only by now)

And why is that? From what I've heard the ratings are pretty crappy anyways so it doesn't seem like anything of value would be lost if the series goes on break for a long time. Hell didn't it go on break for 4 months back in 1997/1998? That was during its ratings peak iirc and yet those 4 months didn't really affect the show's success.

Why should the ratings matter though? I keep asking this every time this complaint come up and never get any kind of answer. While I agree that a hiatus won't have a huge negative impact on the franchise or the anime, the ratings are such a non-issue and shouldn't be used to determine the worth of the anime. The anime exists to promote the games and merchandise. Ratings don't factor in at all.

im so sad that this series was cancelled until 2022 :(

Please don't spread false information. The series is not cancelled. They are putting a hold on production and as a result, the show is on hiatus for the foreseeable future. There is a difference. We don't have dates for when it is expected to return. This is such an unknown kind of situation that it's hard to plan ahead for a lot of things, let alone production on an on-going animated series like Pokemon.

I can definitely understand that. A lot of things people like to watch are being delayed and people can't go out to their favorite places to relax. It is overwhelming and losing things to help us distract from the situation doesn't help matters. I'm going to be quite sad when they inevitably have to put Fruits Basket on hiatus and it's unlikely that the next MHA season will premiere this year too. As upsetting as it is to lose all of that, it is only temporary and it is ultimately done to keep everyone in the cast and production crew safe. There will be time to make episodes once things have calm down.

My biggest concern is this anime potentially overlapping with the gen 9 games once those come out. I hope to God that Game Freak isn't being forced or isn't forcing their employees to work on those games during this pandemic. That would be horrible. Surely they've halted production of those games and even the SwSh DLC to stay safe and healthy, right?

I certainly hope so. At the very least, they should have their employees working remotely from their homes. I think that they're doing that for the remaining Super Smash Bros. DLC. They might be able to do that with the Sword/Shield DLC as well, but I don't know about any potential games that they're working on right now. They might only put out a statement if they have to delay the DLC waves, but as of now, the first half of the DLC is still slated for June. That could change though. I love the video games and I was quite happy with Sword/Shield all around, but I obviously really don't want the developers to be under any more stress or risk their health just to get out any development in a short time frame.

Out of curiosity, are there other anime shows on hold? The only one I'm currently following is the new Digimon, which is still running by this point (even though it aired 3 episodes only by now)

I've only seen headlines of a few seasonal anime titles being delayed for a few weeks or waiting a few months before releasing the next season. I don't recall any other show besides Pokemon being put on a hiatus yet. I'm sure that shows like One Piece and Boruto will have to announce a hiatus sooner rather than later though.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom