• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are the chances that the Coronavirus causes episodes to be delayed or canceled?

It’s gonna last until 2022
Even based on the link you posted you can't really say the hiatus will last until 2022. It says that intermittent social distancing may be needed until 2022 if no other measures are available, this, however, does not translate into "complete lockdowns" for the next 2 years, it just means that some measures will have to stay and new outbreaks could still happen in the future up to that year. Extreme measures have to get lifted at least partially depending on how the disease spreads, and people will be sent back to work sooner or later. We may experience more hiatuses along the way, though, but it's near impossible for it to continuously last 2 years, unless they outright cancel the series.

I doubt the anime would be put on hold until 2022 because a handful of people are suggesting the lockdowns could remain in place until then. At best, we'd be seeing new episodes come (the scheduled release of) The Isle of Armor in June. At worst, they'd return around Halloween.

Junichi Fujisaku, Writer for the TV Anime on Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/fujimarl/status/1251807110616104960

Translation according to Google Translate - Does Pokemon also support rebroadcasting? Since there are few real movements, even if it moves from May, it is good to think that there are almost no new animations until summer and fall, so please warmly watch. By the way, we don't get money because there is no new work. There is no additional production cost.

Even if an official source mentioned a 2-year long hiatus I'd still question it. For me it sounds a little too unrealistic, even when considered the whole virus situation. We might reach the 4-month mark the OS went through in 1997, and maybe more, but not 2 years.

Junichi Fujisaku, Writer for the TV Anime on Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/fujimarl/status/1251807110616104960

Translation according to Google Translate - Does Pokemon also support rebroadcasting? Since there are few real movements, even if it moves from May, it is good to think that there are almost no new animations until summer and fall, so please warmly watch. By the way, we don't get money because there is no new work. There is no additional production cost.

I didn't think I'd ever be thankful to Fujisaku, but I'm glad that he's at least communicating with fans and I feel bad about him and the other cast and crew members not getting paid.

The only concern, I have is how this will effect the anime in the long-term. Will PM have fewer episodes in the end? I doubt they'll delay the DLC or Gen 9. Losing a month off of a whole 3 Years of Gen 9's Development Time Frame is relatively small and can easily be made up regardless of what you say. However for the Anime it's different in the sense since it's an ongoing project that's releasing the product on a weekly basis. We also have to keep in note that PM only aired 1 episode during it's first week when Previous Series aired 2 episodes during their respective First Weeks. Heck, SM even aired two during it's Second Week. So if you calculate like this, PM is already 2 episodes behind from where it should be. I doubt any episode that is due to air will be canceled however I think while people do understand this is due to live a sort of a dent on the series since some people were just starting to get invested (including me) but the decision is expected and the right thing at the end of the day.

The only concern, I have is how this will effect the anime in the long-term. Will PM have fewer episodes in the end? I doubt they'll delay the DLC or Gen 9. Losing a month off of a whole 3 Years of Gen 9's Development Time Frame is relatively small and can easily be made up regardless of what you say. However for the Anime it's different in the sense since it's an ongoing project that's releasing the product on a weekly basis. We also have to keep in note that PM only aired 1 episode during it's first week when Previous Series aired 2 episodes during their respective First Weeks. Heck, SM even aired two during it's Second Week. So if you calculate like this, PM is already 2 episodes behind from where it should be. I doubt any episode that is due to air will be canceled however I think while people do understand this is due to live a sort of a dent on the series since some people were just starting to get invested (including me) but the decision is expected and the right thing at the end of the day.

Last year we had a three week break when they changed from Tuesday to Sunday. Also there is a two week break every summer.

But with this going on it's difficult to speculate when it will return.

We are in a global war without weapons.

Last year we had a three week break when they changed from Tuesday to Sunday. Also there is a two week break every summer.

But with this going on it's difficult to speculate when it will return.

We are in a global war without weapons.
Yeah. Japan actually has an even more disadvantage to beat this virus imo. Announcing a Lockdown would go against a Constitution Rule in Japan in which it is considered as an indirect breach of human rights, something which Japanese tradition or law don't allow post the Meiji Constitutional Downfall. So quarantine/social distancing is something that needs to be done voluntarily by the people, if it isn't Japan could take much more time than other countries to recover.

We also have to keep in note that PM only aired 1 episode during it's first week when Previous Series aired 2 episodes during their respective First Weeks. Heck, SM even aired two during it's Second Week. So if you calculate like this, PM is already 2 episodes behind from where it should be.

PM is not behind, as since the schedule change they have avoided breaks as much as possible. In 2019, 51 episodes were aired in total when the annual average in past years was around 46-47. By this point, both SM and XY were in episode 23, and XY premiered one month earlier, so the difference is not that big.

It's possible that the series will end up with less episodes, but no one of us knows how the games are being affected so it's possible that the November release dates are being abandoned.

If filler episodes do get scrapped, I fear it could potentially screw over some Galar Pokemon whose only appearance might be in a random filler episode or two. I know that's unlikely to happen, but I still fear that it might happen, which is why I'd rather no episodes get canceled.

Comparing the number of Pokemon species debuted in each series up to this point (first 22 episodes, including specials), using Bulbapedia as a reference (Mega Evolutions, Regional Variants, and Gigantamax Forms counted separately):

Original Series - 55
AG - 24
DP - 24
BW - 47
XY - 27 (+5 Mega Evolution)
SM - 34 (+8 Alolan)
SS - 10 (+4 Gigantamax)

(Note: Pokemon that debuted before the start of a series, such as Harrison's Blaziken, don't count, but tv debuts do count)

Part of the reason that AG, DP, and XY have lower numbers is because they all have had some of their Pokemon debut in the previous series.

As for SS, all we can say is that it has quite a bit of catching up to do, even if this hiatus had not happened...

I personally don't see any episodes being scrapped, since, unlike usually with banned abs skipped episodes, here the delay isn't due to any sort of accidentally sensitive material in an episode.
Yeah. Since none of the planned episodes involve disease epidemics, there's no reason to scrap them and start from what episode would air at that point without the hiatus.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom