• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Hoenn Adventure [5/5] - CLOSED!

CyanideCrystal

Did someone say "catfight"?~★
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
giphy.gif

Hoenn Adventure is a heavily Story-driven Role-play that follows a small group of trainers through the region of Hoenn. Along the way they collect badges or ribbons, meet new friends and rivals and investigate the mysterious Team Magma. This game will follow a traditional Tabletop dynamic - GM who creates the NPCs and tells the Plot and the Players who engage with them. This will allow for more focused play, as the GM will not be concerned with their own character - only yours. So grab your starter, put your weird white hair hat on and prepare to go on the adventure!

giphy.gif

1. The main Forum Rules apply.
2. This game is ran by the GM (me) - the players can only control their character's actions/thoughts/feelings.
3. Battles are decided with dice rolls performed both by the GM and the Player. Do not cheat.
4. All players start with one pokemon - their lelvel 5 starter in its base form. No legendaries!
5. Your character cannot have magical powers or anything that would be out of place in a Pokemon setting.
6. Only players 16+ are allowed.
7. The GM's word is final and is only overruled by mods.

giphy.gif

The Battles in HA are decided by rolling a 6-sided die. The GM will roll for the NPCs and the Players will roll for their characters.
- a result of 1-3 means the move missed
- a result of 4-6 means the move hit the mark
If the type of the attacker's move is Super Effective against their opponent they add +1 to the result. If it's not very effective -1.
You can find online dice here.

giphy.gif

Name: Put your character's name and any nicknames here!
/
male.gif
/
genderless.png
(Female/Male/Non-binary)

Trainer class: Trainer/coordinator/breeder

Appearence: Put a description of your character here! You can add a picture.
Personality: Put a description of your character's personality, quirks and behaviours here!

Family and friends: Put your character's family members here!
History: Provide a backstory for your characters! Give them motivation for wanting to go out on an adventure! If there is any part of your history you want to keep a secret from other players - send it to me in a private message.
Goal: What does your character want to achieve? Can be more than one.
Additional info: Anything you want to add.

Pokemon:
Picture of the pokemon
Name: If your Pokemon has a name, put it here!
/
male.gif
/
genderless.png
(Female/Male/Genderless)

Species: Only first stage pokemon, please!
Ability: Your Pokemon's Ability.
Moves: Egg moves are allowed.
Personality: A few words about how your Pokemon behaves
Special features: Doesn't have to have any but if it does, put it here!

Bag:
You can start with two items - 1 personal (ex. Mom's necklace) and 1 from the game (ex. Potion)

Also please fill out this quick survey so I can match the style of the game to your likes:
1. What are your favourite (top 10) Pokemon? I will try to put them on your path.
2. What are your least favouritey (bottom 10) Pokemon? I'll try to not put them in the story at all.
3. What type of stories would you like to see?
4. What do you not want to see?
5. Do you have any experience with this type of roleplaying?
6. What days of the week/hours are you active?

This is all the information you'll need to start your Hoenn Advanture! If you have any question don't hesitate to ask.
The Sign Ups are now open!​

Last edited:
Name: Jay (Jade)

Trainer Class: Breeder

Appearance: Brown hair that reaches her shoulders, blue eyes, a blue overcoat, a black bandana on her neck, white sports shoes, brown shorts and a white shirt with tattered sleeves. She also has tanned skin and is smaller in height than average.
Personality: Jay is an energetic person that wears all her emotions on her sleeve. She's very stubborn but not to a point of not listening to reason. She's very social and is always ready to help no matter what the problem. She doesn't battle much unless it's a need or a friendly sparing match.

Family and friends:
- Angelica and Connor Smith - her parents. Because of their actions in Mosedeep they no longer see eye to eye.
- Sal - a friend she met while cleaning beaches on Mosedeep. They share their passion for the ocean and still keep in touch.

History: She lived in Mossdeep city with her family that works in the Mossdeep space center but because of her love of nature and especially water and the sea she never supported their cause because it made the shores around the island dirty and unswimmable which also dropped the population of water pokemon that visited the island, one day she found an Azurill tangled in all the trash and nursed it back to health and even after he recovered he stayed by her side. When she was fifteen she saw people who oppose the space center clean the beach and after talking to them joined their cause.
Goal: She wants to catch a lot of different pokemon and settle them down on her home island.
Additional info: She's well versed with pokemon and sea knowledge

Pokemon:
Azurill.png

Name: Izzy

Species: Azurill
Personality: Izzy is a very young pokemon, He's very open about his feelings and will always try to comfort anyone that's feeling down, He's also very mischievous and loyal.
Special features: Has a black bandana on his head.
Moves: Water Sport,Tail whip, Water gun, Splash
Ability: Huge Power

Bag:
- Silver Brooch
- Water Stone

1. Poochyena, Lotad, Schroomish, Electrike, Numel, Vibravia, Mudkip, Eevee, Clamperl, Any dog or Sinnoh pokemon.
2. Torcoal, Spinda, Gulpin, Whismur
3. I'm good with whatever
4. I don't want it to drag
5. I do

Last edited:
This looks interesting. I'll try something new!

But first, I have a few questions:
  1. Do Pokémon have all the moves that they have ever learned, at once? (i.e., they can exceed the four move limit, and there is no move forgetting?) I signed up assuming the answer is no.
  2. How will you handle Abilities like Compound Eyes that boost accuracy of moves, and moves like Aerial Ace that "never miss"?
  3. How do Pokémon gain levels?
  4. Is Pikachu allowed as a starter, since it's a fan favorite?
  5. Will we be able to catch legendary/mythical Pokémon? I signed up assuming the answer is no.
  6. Are Pokémon Contests in the style of the games, or the anime adaptation?
  7. Do we get Key Stones, Z-Rings, or anything similar in the start? If not, when?
Questions aside, here is my sign-up sheet for now.
Name: Kane Spridea

Trainer class: Trainer

Appearance: Kane stands at 5’ 7”, with light brown hair, hazel eyes, and slightly tanned skin. He wears a plain green shirt most of the time, and he also wears black gloves with blue stripes on the fingers. Kane normally wears cargo shorts the color of a pizza crust, and casual black and blue sneakers. He wears a black and green baseball cap (similar pattern to Ash's hat from the Advanced Generation series in the Pokémon anime).
Personality: Kane is an adventurous, athletic Trainer with a strong passion for helping Pokémon. He is mostly an upbeat kind of guy, not easily getting angry unless someone threatens him. He is very open to meeting new people, and will be nice to just about anybody. In battle, he studies his opponents’ battle style intensely so as to find their weaknesses.

Family and friends: To be determined
History: Although born in Cyllage City, Kalos, Kane and his family moved to Petalburg City, Hoenn when he was very young. He grew up in quiet Petalburg City, living a mostly normal life, although he started his Pokémon training journey later than those around him. When he turned 16, he set out on a journey as a Pokémon Trainer, and the first Pokémon he encountered was an Absol. The Trainer was intrigued, as the appearance of Absol means impending disaster, so he sought out to help everyone he could and prevent this mysterious disaster that has still not occurred, oddly. Seeing potential in Kane, Absol joined his team and became his first, most trusted Pokémon.
Goal: To become a powerful Trainer, to catch a lot of Pokémon, to beat the Champion, and to stop any villainous teams.
Additional info: When he turned 10, Kane traveled to the region of Almia for Pokémon Ranger training, though he didn't like it afterwards. However, he didn't realize this until many years later, when he returned to Hoenn, and decided to become a Pokémon Trainer instead. As a result, he has some experience with Pokémon Rangers under his belt, but he almost never uses it these days. (In other words, nothing much to worry about regarding the storyline on this.)

Pokémon:
359Absol_XY_anime.png

Name: N/A (Absol)

Species: Absol
Ability: Justified
Moves: Me First, Play Rough, Punishment, Future Sight
Personality: Most of the time, Absol appears indifferent. It's hard to tell how she is feeling unless she says so. Absol is incredibly loyal and perceptive, and will defend those important to her at all costs.
Special features: Housed in an Ultra Ball

Bag:
- Capture Disc: A small spinning top that is about 3-4 cm wide. It is purely a model of a real Capture Disc that Pokémon Rangers use. (Kane stores it in an especially secure compartment of his bag. It helps him recall information from his Ranger days if he ever needs it.)
- Nest Ball
1. (Not in the order of how I like them) Charmander & evolutions, Treecko & evolutions, Taillow & evolution, Dratini & evolutions, Trapinch & evolutions, Ralts & evolutions (Gallade more than Gardevoir), Buizel & evolution, Riolu & evolution, Zorua & evolution, Froakie & evolutions, Shiny Pokémon
2. Most Normal-types and Poison-types, unless they have another type as well, or can fly
3. Stories about catching more Pokémon, Pokémon getting stronger and evolving; basically never being stuck on one part of the plot
4. Being captured by a villainous team
5. Yes (notably Fizzy Bubbles); I'm not a fan of using pure luck with dice to determine certain factors, though.
6. 11am to 2am GMT/UTC time on weekends; on weekdays, I am only available from 7pm to 2am GMT/UTC time.

Last edited:
  1. Do Pokémon have all the moves that they have ever learned, at once? (i.e., they can exceed the four move limit, and there is no move forgetting?) I signed up assuming the answer is no.​
  2. How will you handle Abilities like Compound Eyes that boost accuracy of moves, and moves like Aerial Ace that "never miss"?​
  3. How do Pokémon gain levels?​
  4. Is Pikachu allowed as a starter, since it's a fan favorite?​
  5. Will we be able to catch legendary/mythical Pokémon? I signed up assuming the answer is no.​
  6. Are Pokémon Contests in the style of the games, or the anime adaptation?​
  7. Do we get Key Stones, Z-Rings, or anything similar in the start? If not, when?​

1. There is a move limit but it's 6 instead of 4 to allow for more interesting battles with some variety in moves and strategy.
2. I actually think I might revamp the battle system. I wanted to make it easy to understand so that new players don't have issues but since I see most people here have experience I might remake it to be more like the games. In the current one any accuracy boosts would count as +1 and there would be no 100% accuracy moves. But as I said I have some plans on changing the way that works. I'm also open to suggestions on this.
3. By winning fights (contest fights count, of course). The higher level the opponent the more they gain. It's going to be in %.
4. You'd have to start with a Pichu, since it's technically the first form of the pokemon.
5. No, mainly because of the power imbalance and that it might cause fights between players (who catches the pokemon if there is only one?). You can fight them though.
6. It's more in the style of the anime (because I love the anime contests). So there is a performance stage and a battle stage with a timer and point systems.
7. You can chose it as your starting item (just like any game useful object) or you can get one during the game if your pokemon needs one by contacting the right NPC or finding it.

giphy.gif

...Just please edit in your character's Goal to the information sheet.

Now I'd prefer the next person to sign up to be a coordinator, but I won't turn away a good character of a different class.

1. There is a move limit but it's 6 instead of 4 to allow for more interesting battles with some variety in moves and strategy.
2. I actually think I might revamp the battle system. I wanted to make it easy to understand so that new players don't have issues but since I see most people here have experience I might remake it to be more like the games. In the current one any accuracy boosts would count as +1 and there would be no 100% accuracy moves. But as I said I have some plans on changing the way that works. I'm also open to suggestions on this.
3. By winning fights (contest fights count, of course). The higher level the opponent the more they gain. It's going to be in %.
4. You'd have to start with a Pichu, since it's technically the first form of the pokemon.
5. No, mainly because of the power imbalance and that it might cause fights between players (who catches the pokemon if there is only one?). You can fight them though.
6. It's more in the style of the anime (because I love the anime contests). So there is a performance stage and a battle stage with a timer and point systems.
7. You can chose it as your starting item (just like any game useful object) or you can get one during the game if your pokemon needs one by contacting the right NPC or finding it.

giphy.gif

...Just please edit in your character's Goal to the information sheet.

Now I'd prefer the next person to sign up to be a coordinator, but I won't turn away a good character of a different class.

Thanks for the answers. I edited in my goal; I must have accidentally deleted that. Mind if I add extra moves to my Pokémon as well?

A suggestion to the battle system might be that there are no concrete rules, instead depending on the situation. For example, the accuracy might merely be how easy it is to dodge the move. Moves with 100% accuracy might just be that the Pokémon has to have a relatively high base Speed to dodge it. Moves like Stone Edge that have 80% accuracy are easier to dodge, and there could be like a small chance that the move misses on its own. The accuracy formula could be more subjective, is what I'm trying to say.

Name: Talia “Tally” Laurent
Trainer class: Coordinator​

Appearance: Talia has green eyes and red hair that goes to her shoulders. She is about 5” and has a fair complexion. She usually wears a dark blue boater hat with a red ribbon. She usually wears a knee-length dark blue dress with black leggings and dark blue shoes.
Personality: Talia is an entertainer at heart and loves performing for other people and Pokémon. She usually tries to find a silver lining for every situation she finds herself a part of and will try to cheer up anybody she comes across. Despite her easy-going attitude, she can be extremely tenacious when it comes to her plans and ideals, pursuing them even when the odds are against her.

Family and friends:
Russell and Renee Laurent – Her parents. They are worried about Talia’s future and want her to prove that she can live a happy and stable life as a coordinator.
Louis Laurent – Her older brother. The most supportive of Talia’s goals. Gave her the egg that hatched into her first Pokémon.

History: Talia has loved entertaining people for as long as she could remember. She lived in Lumiose City for most of her life, moving to Lilycove City when she was 11. Despite coming from a long line of trainers, she always found herself more fascinated with how the Pokémon moved and the skill put into their attacks, rather than who was going to win. After finding out about Pokémon Contests, she knew that she had found her calling. This brought her into conflict with her parents, as they felt that she should focus on being a trainer, like the rest of her family. Her older brother, on the other hand, supported her dream and gave her an egg he received from the daycare on her 12th birthday. After the Mawile inside hatched, she would practice every day for when she would make her debut as a Coordinator. When she turned 14, her parents, wanting to make a compromise with her, agreed to let her compete in contests if she could do well and prove that it was a feasible option for her future. If they were not convinced, she would have to change her plans. Agreeing to their terms, Talia headed out, determined to prove herself to her parents.

Goal: Capture a large variety of Pokemon. Put on entertaining performances with her Pokemon. Prove to her parents that her desired career as a Coordinator is realistic.

Additional info: Gets sunburnt easily, so she carries an umbrella with her during both sunny and rainy weather.

Pokemon:
2303-Shiny-Mawile.png

Name: Elly
Species: Mawile
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Moves: Astonish, Growl, Fairy Wind, Tickle
Personality: Elly is extremely outgoing, to the point where she prefers staying outside of her poke ball. She shares a similar desire to brighten any other person or Pokémon’s day with her trainer. She is fiercely loyal to Talia or anybody else she considers a friend.
Special features: Has a red ribbon tied around her neck

Bag:
1. Red Umbrella.
2. Oran Berry.

1. Bounsweet and evolutions. 2. Litwick and Evolutions. 3. Mimikyu. 4. Squirtle and Evolutions. 5. Mareep and Evolutions. 6. Ralts and Evolutions (I prefer Gardevoir). 7. Pancham and Evolutions. 8. Trapinch and Evolutions. 9. Crobat. 10. Snorunt and Evolutions (I prefer Frosslass).
1. Aromatissue. 2. Minccino.
3. I am okay with whatever happens.
4. I do not mind anything.
5. No, but I have always wanted to play a roleplay like this.
6. Sun: All day, Mon – Thurs: 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 A.M. CT, Fri – Sat: 11: 00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. CT

Edit: Adjusted my character’s age, if that is okay.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Ok, everything checks out. But I saw two people posting/wanting to post here so I think I'll leave it open for a while longer. I didn't expect so many people, tbh :0​

Last edited:
Also hey, why is everyone 16? I said "no players under 16" and only to avoid people who can't write very well yet. Trainers can be how old you want them to be. (Just a reminder, but like not saying it's bad.)

Name: Alex Hudson

Trainer class: Trainer

Appearance: Alex stands at about 5'01" and he has a rather athletic figure. He has bright blue eyes and short blue hair, styled somewhat to have spikes in the front. He wears a pair of light brown cargo shorts, as well as a purple vest over a gray tshirt with that 90's cup swoosh thing on it. His shoes are white and styled off those 90's cups with the purple and blue swish.
Personality: Alex is someone who always looks on the bright side of things, preferring to keep a positive outlook on life. He’s an overall positive force when he’s present, rarely letting things bother him and put a damper on his mood. He is notable for often showing high amounts of optimism. He’s optimistic to a fault, even putting his faith in the near impossible and even giving others false hope. He is very confident in himself and his abilities, often showing the same confidence towards others. Confident in himself, Alex rarely backs down from a challenge, displaying a more competitive side at times even. He is eager to take on anything thrown at him, though sometimes, Alex can be a bit too bold for his own good. Alex is incredibly reckless with his actions and words, rarely ever thinking his actions through, no matter how careless they might seem. This can have disastrous results and has led to him getting in trouble numerous times with his mouth, and considering he enjoys thrills and the adrenaline rush that comes with them, his actions have even led to him getting injured. Alex is one tough cookie though. He seems to display a certain resilience to pain and he will do his best to power right through the pain and stay positive, acting as if he can handle it. He can be a bit on the stubborn side and often hates to accept help from others, wanting to be as independent as possible. While he might appear to be very reckless, you can’t deny his spirit. On top of having a very positive attitude, Alex is a very energetic guy. He commonly seems enthusiastic and eager to take on challenge, though his high energy can come across as annoying at times. Alex does tend to be on the obnoxious side, often coming off as hyperactive and loud. He also has a bad habit of sticking his nose in business it doesn’t belong in, coming off as very nosy when he’s there with a video camera in your face. Unfortunately, he can be oblivious about how obnoxious he can be.

Family and friends: To be determined
History: Alex was born in Sunyshore City where he attended a local trainer's school. He was always a rather adventurous, rambunctious young boy and he was often seen getting into all kinds of trouble. He caught his first Pokemon when he was 12 years old and he's been training with his Riolu ever since. He was pretty big in the world of social media and has dreams of being popular in his region, though he wouldn't live in Sinnoh for all his life. When he was 13, his mother got a job working for Devon Corp in the Hoenn Region, forcing his family to move to the Hoenn Region. By the time he was 14, he started to gain an interest in streaming, and soon started filming battles he had with other trainers with his Pachirisu. When he heard of the local league, he was highly interested in competing, setting off for his journey.
Goal: He wants to become a powerful, popular trainer in the Hoenn region by streaming his battles, and maybe become Champion.
Additional info: He regularly streams his battles.

Pokémon:
375px-447Riolu[1].png

Name: N/A
Species: Riolu
Ability: Steadfast
Moves: Quick Attack, Metal Claw, Detect, Force Palm
Personality: He's a rather sweet, harmless Riolu. He tends to be somewhat lazy at times and would rather sleep, much to Alex's annoyance. He's a very loyal Pokemon though and would defend his trainer.
Special features: None

Bag:
-A cell phone he carries with him
-A potion
1. Treecko line. 2. Sneasel. 3. Trapinch Line 4. Eevee. 5. Roselia 6. Elektrike 7. Bagon 8. Zigzagoon line, 9. Tailow and Swellow, 10. Anorith(No particular order. I wasn't sure what would to put cause I'm mainly thinking of what would make sense for Hoenn.)
1. You can throw any Pokemon you want in the roleplay.
3. I enjoy slice of life and action themed stuff. Maybe some villain plots, and battling.
4. Really dark situations.
5. I've done a few of these Pokemon journey RP's here, and I got through an entire Sinnoh RP maybe 8 years ago.
6. Sun, Thur, Fri: 12pm EST to 3pm EST, Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat: Most of the day, Hours vary. All days: 12am est to 3am est

Just one question though...Our Pokemon can learn moves along the way right?​

Name: Sakiko Ono

Trainer class: Coordinator

Appearance:
Sakiko is 5'01", leaving her shorter than most people she knows. She has light blonde hair that she normally wears in a ponytail behind her head, blue eyes, and light skin.

She generally wears a light pink long-sleeve shirt, a light purple-ish blue vest, a dark pink skirt, leggings the same color as her vest, and white shoes.
Webp.net-resizeimage (9).jpg

Ignore the tilt, that's just the camera angle. And the eraser marks, except that's not the camera angle.

She has a different outfit for contests but I'll describe and draw that later if you don't mind.

Personality:
Sakiko is generally well-meaning and kind, but anything that's not outright stated tends to go over her head. She has a hard time telling what people are thinking and feeling, or if people don't mean exactly was they say. Usually very cheerful, though when she's upset about something, she tends to stay so for a long period of time. Sakiko usually says exactly what she's thinking, even when she's alone. Sakiko makes an effort to get along with everyone around her, though she's not always successful.

Family and friends:
-Aoi and Ichiro Ono, her mother and father. They often have to go on trips due to their jobs, and thus do not yet know that their daughter is leaving on her journey, though would be proud of her if they did.
-Katsu Ono, the older of her two brothers. He set out to become a trainer three years ago, and returned after his seventh gym badge. His first Pokémon was a male Zizagoon name Bolt, now a Linoone. His team now consists of Bolt the Linoone, Lily the Ludicolo, Chikara the Hariyama, Cirrus the Altaria, Blitz the Ninetales, and Glacio the Glalie. He and Sakiko get along fairly well, and he has generally taken charge of the house when their parents are away.
-Hiroshi Ono, the younger of her two brothers. He never traveled, and thus his only Pokémon is a Voltorb name Shockwave, who is mostly untrained. He and Sakiko often argued when they were younger, though don't much anymore.
-Asuka Hashimoto, her closest friend and contest rival. Asuka's starter is a female Skitty named Cherry, and she started her journey about a week before Sakiko

History:
Sakiko grew up in Verdanturf Town, alongside her two older brothers. Her parents were often away, so she barely got to know them. Even when they were home, Sakiko always felt they cared more about her older brothers than her. She was neighbors with a girl named Asuka Hashimoto, who she grew to be very close to.

She discovered contests when she passed in front of the television while her parents, on one of their rare breaks from working, had the news on when she was five, and was instantly impressed. The reporter was announcing the most recent Top Coordinator, and the screen showed clips of the final battle. She's watched the Grand Festival on TV every years since.

She only learned about her friend's shared interest in contests when Asuka decided to go on her journey. Before she left, Sakiko assured her friend thst they'd meet in the Grand Festival.

Goal:
-
Obviously, one of her goals is to win five ribbons and become Top Coordinator
-Slightly less obviously, she wants to meet and defeat her friend Asuka in the Grand Festival
-She wants to see the region outside Verdanturf Town
-Finally, she wants to get her parents' attention by doing something notable

Additional info: She enjoys taking photos when she goes places she hasn't been before

Pokemon:
chingling-256x256.png

Name: Jingle

Species: Chingling
Ability: Levitate
Moves: Wrap, Growl, Recover
Personality: Jingle, like his trainer, find great joy in contests. However, besides performing on stage, he usually prefers to stay away from others, besides those he knows well.
Special features: His Pokéball is a Premier Ball

Bag:
Camera
Friend Ball

1. What are your favourite (top 10) Pokemon? I will try to put them on your path.
Absol, Smeargle, Gothita line, Audino, Snivy line, Jigglypuff line, Oshawatt line, Tepig line, Purrloin line, Nickit line, Lillipup line

2. What are your least favouritey (bottom 10) Pokemon? I'll try to not put them in the story at all.
Froakie line, Jynx line, Shuckle, Dunsparce, Eiscue, Cramorant, Spinarak line, Lickitung line, Runergius

3. What type of stories would you like to see?
Nothing specific

4. What do you not want to see?
I can't think of anything I'd be against.

5. Do you have any experience with this type of roleplaying?
I've played a bit of Dungeons and Dragons, if that counts.

6. What days of the week/hours are you active?
Monday-Friday 3:00 PM-ish-9:00PM-ish CST, Saturday-Sunday pretty much whenever

Last edited:
A suggestion to the battle system might be that there are no concrete rules, instead depending on the situation. For example, the accuracy might merely be how easy it is to dodge the move. Moves with 100% accuracy might just be that the Pokémon has to have a relatively high base Speed to dodge it. Moves like Stone Edge that have 80% accuracy are easier to dodge, and there could be like a small chance that the move misses on its own. The accuracy formula could be more subjective, is what I'm trying to say.
More about this; I was thinking that the GM (or opponent, in character vs. character battles) could determine whether an attack lands (and be reasonable, of course).

ezgif-3-97a1e16db788.gif

Everything checks out!
Thanks, everyone! I don't think I'll be able to handle more than 5 people at once for this so the Sign Ups are officially CLOSED.
You can expect a Start Up post tomorrow.​

More about this; I was thinking that the GM (or opponent, in character vs. character battles) could determine whether an attack lands (and be reasonable, of course).
I don't know how to account for what reasonable in this case though. Especially in Player vs Player since both parties will want to win. That's why i wanted dice roll + bonuses. Because then luck and stats decide.

I don't know how to account for what reasonable in this case though. Especially in Player vs Player since both parties will want to win. That's why i wanted dice roll + bonuses. Because then luck and stats decide.
I get your point. Take a look at an example of a GM update. I got it from here (Fizzy Bubbles) (Jeffrey is the ally):
After assessing the situation, you had chosen a good course of action. You command Toxtricity to Electroweb your opponents, which it tried to do, only for Charizard to burn the web with a fiery Flamethrower. Toxtricity then let out a Noble Roar, making its foes slightly insecure and lowering their attack power. Grookey slammed his stick into the ground, spreading a Grassy Terrain across the floor. Grookey then used Growth to boost his attacking power. He swished his small stick, summoning razor-sharp leaves that sliced their way for Linoone and Morgrem, only for them to be burnt up by another Flamethrower from Charizard.

"Lotad, Hydro Pump!" Jeffrey commanded as the small Water Weed Pokemon blasted a high-pressure stream of water directly at Charizard, which did some damage to the reptilian dragon Pokemon. Rockruff ran across the room, onto the table and jumped, its tail shimmering as it smacked the Crobat directly on the head, which disoriented it for a moment, allowing Rockruff to use it as a stepping stone to escape.

"Charizard, Dragon Claw, then Fire Blast!" the largest clubber yelled, as Charizard dashed forward, clawing the air, sending an energy slice directly for Toxtricity! Charizard then blasted a huge ball of fire, headed directly for Grookey. Both these attacks hit their mark, dealing heavy damage to your Pokemon! Crobat flew directly towards Lotad, using Wing Attack to strike the small Pokemon. Linoone stood there, getting all Worked Up! Morgrem rushed forward at Grookey, who was still licking his wounds, and took the chance to stab Grookey with a False Surrender!
Also, take a look at a battle in Fizzy Bubbles, an RPG. There is a sense of integrity that's required for what I said to work. I just don't like dice rolling as a battle system.

EDIT: The reason why I don't prefer dice rolling is because, say you have your opponent in a position where, in all sensibility, your next move shouldn't miss. But you have to roll the dice as per the rules, which just doesn't make sense sometimes.

Last edited:
he reason why I don't prefer dice rolling is because, say you have your opponent in a position where, in all sensibility, your next move shouldn't miss. But you have to roll the dice as per the rules, which just doesn't make sense sometimes.
Yeah I get that definitely but we also have two Coordinators and only one person can win the Grand Festival, which I feel should be decided by more than roleplay. Unless one person will be willing to just lose at something that's so important to their character motivation. Also what about inflicting Status effects? Those are always random. Maybe there could be a compromise between the two?

1. Where will we all start out?
2. Are we gonna be traveling together?
1. You're going to start out in Mauville - the biggest city in Hoenn housing the Trainer Registry (you have to sign up there to get a trainer card). You're all standing in line to get your license. You can get the Badges in any order (except the final one) - I will scale the gym difficulty to your team's experience, like in the Origins anime.
2. Yes.

Yeah I get that definitely but we also have two Coordinators and only one person can win the Grand Festival, which I feel should be decided by more than roleplay. Unless one person will be willing to just lose at something that's so important to their character motivation. Also what about inflicting Status effects? Those are always random. Maybe there could be a compromise between the two?
I was thinking that the probability of status conditions is still random; maybe use an RNG for that.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom