• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

could get in handy if they create in future a new pokemon that has a form change and stats like wishiwashi when getting sleep stats and that could normally use its moves, then a lot will make sense.
Uh, I don't care if the move will end up useful, I still think it doesn't make sense to say a regular cat, a regular dragonfly, an ice dinosaur, and a monkey can just eat dreams for some reason. It would be useful for them to get Roar of Time, too, doesn't mean it should happen.
when they can put oponent to sleep via swagger...
Swagger does not put the opponent to sleep. (And even if it could, Wormadam, Sewaddle, and Aurorus can't learn it in the first place)
Its psychic but it doesnt mean they cant but they wont get stab from it
My problem isn't that they're learning a Psychic move, it's that they're learning a Psychic move that makes no sense.
or would you give it Seed Bomb or Bullet seed?
Cinderace has no seeds to produce.
wait till they create pokemon with substitutes against special attacks that get restored in weather or on a terrain or if they ever create a pokemon immune to special attacks (dragon/ghost two legged winged skeleton )and a other pokemon immune to physical attacks (ghost/psychic) and cause us to change strategies more, with right stats , typing and movesets everything is possible...
This is a highly-specific scenario that does not change how things are now.
2. what does it have against ground types??? a ground/steel pokemon??? Power whip??? what about a sap sipper user?
A 120 base power move against Ground types is pretty dang good on its own.

Against a Ground/Steel, it has Superpower, Body Press, Revenge, Brick Break, Rock Smash, Bulldoze, High Horsepower, Dig, Mud Shot, Bulldoze, Stomping Tantrum, Earthquake, and Earth Power. It's fine.

Against a Sap Sipper user, which is only the Goomy line and Drampa, you'd be stupid to use a Grass move against a Dragon type in the first place when Steel is regular effective against Dragon. (And if you really want to give up STAB for being super effective, they learn Outrage, too)
Earthquake on grassy terrain???
No Ground or Fire Pokemon can set up Grassy Terrain, so now you're worrying about Copperajah taking on two Pokemon at once. Also, High Horse Power, Stomping Tantrum, and Earth Power will not have their power halved.
what if it meets a rhyperior pokemon or water/rock or water/ground with strong defense but weak sp. defense in last battle and that pokemon has enourmous defense stats but weak special defense? thats often the case.
It's common that these Pokemon have lower Sp Def compared to their Def (although there's several exceptions- Corosola's are equal, Whiscash's are only two points apart, Gastrodon's Sp Def is higher, Seismitoad's are equal), but it's not exactly common that you'll be down to just one Pokemon against them. (Not to mention that Cinderace has plenty of physical Fighting moves for the Rock-types)

Remoraid. Snorlax. Pelipper. Purrloin. Minccino. What do these Pokemon have in common?

Did you guess they can all learn Seed Bomb? No you didn't, because why the heck should these Pokemon learn it?

It'd be one thing if the move relied on you consuming a berry before using it like with Belch (which I think would be a pretty cool move), but these Pokemon are just magicing seeds out of thing air! No!!

I'm not going to dig up a dead horse and beat it a little more saying the exact same thing everyone else already has about the Decidueye line's Speed, but I do think they should've gotten Quick Attack at lower levels, since there's no real lore-based reason why they shouldn't IMO. Decidueye did get Shadow Sneak after all, but its first two stages aren't part Ghost-type.

Remoraid. Snorlax. Pelipper. Purrloin. Minccino. What do these Pokemon have in common?

Did you guess they can all learn Seed Bomb? No you didn't, because why the heck should these Pokemon learn it?

It'd be one thing if the move relied on you consuming a berry before using it like with Belch (which I think would be a pretty cool move), but these Pokemon are just magicing seeds out of thing air! No!!
To a certain extend I can understand Remoraid, since its "gimmick" is learning moves based on beams, bullets and the like, but the rest no idea.

Snorlax is known for eating anything, while Pelipper and Minccino are based off of animals that store food for later, so I guess they could be carrying seeds?

No idea for Purrloin.

It really bothers me that the Pidove line can’t learn any physical moves via level up outside of Sky Attack. No Peck, no Wing Attack, nothing. So I’d remedy this by adding Peck, Pluck, and Wing Attack to their level-up movesets. While these additions wouldn’t be a game changer in terms of competitiveness, it would at least make it easier to use these Pokémon in-game.
Their green skin is resistant to water.
Its copper body tarnishes in the rain, turning a vibrant green color.
I’m fairly certain if something tarnishes in water, it is not resistant to water, though I believe a layer of tarnish can protect the deeper, non-tarnished metal.

Last edited:
Uh, I don't care if the move will end up useful, I still think it doesn't make sense to say a regular cat, a regular dragonfly, an ice dinosaur, and a monkey can just eat dreams for some reason. It would be useful for them to get Roar of Time, too, doesn't mean it should happen.

pokemon are pokemon not animals... not everything needs to be perfect... but the psychic cats are there to get Stab... You are right maybe not all but some...

Swagger does not put the opponent to sleep. (And even if it could, Wormadam, Sewaddle, and Aurorus can't learn it in the first place)
yawn... sorry.

Cinderace has no seeds to produce.

then at least energy ball...

It's common that these Pokemon have lower Sp Def compared to their Def (although there's several exceptions- Corosola's are equal, Whiscash's are only two points apart, Gastrodon's Sp Def is higher, Seismitoad's are equal), but it's not exactly common that you'll be down to just one Pokemon against them. (Not to mention that Cinderace has plenty of physical Fighting moves for the Rock-types)

interesting you mean they could create a new niche when creating a special defense oriented rock/water pokemon?

still its a rabbit some grass move should be taking how many others learned solar beam and other grass moves...

Why can’t Incineroar learn the ultimate heel wrestler move: Sucker Punch? Even Decidueye can learn it.

maybe they think stab and priority is too much with Fake out?
But looking at its speed and that many pokemon have anty flinching capaticities and on Dynamax it would not be a problem taking how Sucker Punch works actually...

someone red the dex description and japanese name of dark type move Feint Attack?
weird that that move was so strong? and by passed abilities, to good ,they would need to change that... sneak attack... how could they change that move to not overpower it again... poor ghost types back then.

How many learned that move?

pokemon are pokemon not animals... not everything needs to be perfect... but the psychic cats are there to get Stab... You are right maybe not all but some...
While this is true, Pokémon and the moves they get do follow some logic for the most part—otherwise I think GameFreak would just be arbitrarily adding moves to Pokémon. For the most part, you can look at the moves a Pokémon knows and come up with a halfway decent explanation for why they can learn those moves. I don’t really think you can come up with a reasonable explanation for why a normal house-cat and regular insect larva can posses the mystical ability to eat dreams.
weird that that move was so strong? and by passed abilities, to good ,they would need to change that... sneak attack...
Feint Attack isn’t strong at all and it definitely isn’t hurting the viability of Ghost types (are you thinking of Pursuit?). It’s got a base power of only 60, and its only upside is that it has perfect accuracy, which isn’t really that great of a trade-off considering there’s stronger Dark type moves that have perfect accuracy unless there’s accuracy/evasion modification, which is kinda uncommon. Though I will admit that allowing Sneak Attack to be even sneakier would be interesting and help differentiate it from Aerial Ace. Maybe increased priority as well considering it is a sneak attack?

Ludicolo, whose grass and water types are the most stellar opposition to the fire type, somehow can learn Fire Punch.
It can learn a variety of Punching moves, so learning a Fire-type punch doesn't seem too farfetched at all. It has good stats for being able to cover its bases.

I've been wondering something. How does Brave Bird work on the Zubat line?! Sure, I can understand something like Blaziken, which is a chicken, aka: type of bird, but a bat? That isn't very logical, if you ask me. Sure, it gives it a very powerful STAB, but, really? Brave Bird of all things.

Also, something that I just learned today is that Zubat is (or was) capable of learning Pluck back in Gen 4. Considering the move's description mentions pecking, which would require a beak (or horn, in cases like Nidoran), both that Zubat clearly lacks. So, how does it learn Pluck when it lacks the needed "tool" to actually use it? And before anyone says anything, no, Zubat isn't kissing its opponent, so it's not that kind of pecking.

And tying into the above, why does Heatmor learn Bug Bite? Because it's "biting" a "bug" in the form of Durant? That one strikes me as odd, too, though not as odd as the above two moves. Sometimes I wonder what GF's mentality is when they assign certain moves to the Mons.

pokemon are pokemon not animals... not everything needs to be perfect...
That doesn't change anything about my arguments. Yes, they're Pokemon with weird powers, that doesn't mean they have access to every weird power. And "not everything needs to be perfect" doesn't mean we can't say "Hey, this doesn't make sense".
yawn... sorry.
Of the Pokemon I originally listed (Meowth, Lapras, Porygon, Aipom, Yanma, Dunsparce, Spinda, Wormadam, Sewaddle, Aurorus), only Dunsparce can learn Yawn.
but the psychic cats are there to get Stab...
Yeah, Meowstic has psychic abilities so it makes sense that it can mess with people's dreams. Meowth does not have psychic abilities, so it's weird.
still its a rabbit some grass move should be taking how many others learned solar beam and other grass moves...
I will say that it's strange that it didn't learn Solar Beam when most other Fire types can.

It can learn a variety of Punching moves, so learning a Fire-type punch doesn't seem too farfetched at all. It has good stats for being able to cover its bases.
I dunno, saying that a Pokemon with a lot of one style of attacking should be able to learn another regardless of the element seems weird. Like, Dewgong can learn Aurora Beam, Hyper Beam, and Ice Beam, but that doesn't mean it should learn Psybeam or Charge Beam.

Perharps, but this is a pokemon with two of the three starter types that are known to heavily oppose each other, which makes it odd for it to learn fire attacks.

You could argue that Volcanion is the same because it’s a fire/water type that learns Solar Beam, but at least fire has an association with the sun, whereas Ludicolo derives both of its abilities from rain.

I'm kind of confused by what's going on with Absorb. Like, at first, it seems like the idea is Grass-types, bats (because they suck blood), and bugs that suck blood. But then there's the Kabuto line, and I didn't see anything about trilobites drinking blood or acting as parasites or anything like that. (Or, specifically, Wikipedia said it was being debated as to whether they were parasites or not, so it doesn't seem like that's heavily associated with them) We've got a bee like Ribombee getting it, but not Beedrill or Combee, and a moth like Volcarona, but not Venomoth, so I don't know what's going on with the bugs? And why do Celesteela and Goomy learn it?

I'm kind of confused by what's going on with Absorb. Like, at first, it seems like the idea is Grass-types, bats (because they suck blood), and bugs that suck blood. But then there's the Kabuto line, and I didn't see anything about trilobites drinking blood or acting as parasites or anything like that. (Or, specifically, Wikipedia said it was being debated as to whether they were parasites or not, so it doesn't seem like that's heavily associated with them) We've got a bee like Ribombee getting it, but not Beedrill or Combee, and a moth like Volcarona, but not Venomoth, so I don't know what's going on with the bugs? And why do Celesteela and Goomy learn it?
On Ribombee's case, I think there's an explanation: beefly larvae are parasites so maybe that's why it can learn absorb.

Back
Top Bottom