• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Odd Voice Casts on Bulbapedia

BulbaTCG

Reaction score
Why does Bulbapedia claim that Pokemon like Gyarados, Tauros and Rhyhorn/Rhydon have Japanese voices, when 99% of the time, they're stock animal noises that're heard in a million other places? I know for a fact most Rhyhorn aren't voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi - it's a generic bear noise. Thoughts?

Idk about Tauros and Rhydon, but Misty's Gyarados' voice is obviously just a VA making dragon-like roars and screeches. I think it's the same VA that Prof. Oak had in the Japanese version of the show.

No, I've heard Gyarados' roars used in various other shows, and even for other Pokemon like Groudon.

I can't pinpoint anything specific, but I know for a fact I've heard Gyarados' roars in many other shows. Maybe some vocals were done by Ishizuka, but I know not all of them were.

I can't pinpoint anything specific, but I know for a fact I've heard Gyarados' roars in many other shows. Maybe some vocals were done by Ishizuka, but I know not all of them were.

If the Gyarados in this case were just wild Gyarados or belonged to Cotds then they probably were stock vocals from animal voices. Is there any specific Bulbapedia page that lists that Ishizuka person as the voice actor for a Gyarados that you think used stock animal noises instead?

If the Gyarados in this case were just wild Gyarados or belonged to Cotds then they probably were stock vocals from animal voices. Is there any specific Bulbapedia page that lists that Ishizuka person as the voice actor for a Gyarados that you think used stock animal noises instead?

Misty's Gyarados for example has its voice listed as Unsho Ishizuka, where a Gyarados that appeared in SM113 has no actor listed., yet still uses the same vocals as Misty's.

When it comes to voices, they don't care about being accurate, only about what's been accepted up to now. Unless you have proof positive it's not them, they won't let you edit anything.

That statement is false. We do care about accuracy, and are well aware that most (if not all) of our 4kids era stuff is inaccurate. Users are free to correct them IF they have a valid source to back up their claim. That is, asking the voice actor directly, which I know is a tough order but that's just the way it is. Going by ear and using the credits, which are both things users trying to make the change always use as "source", are not valid.

For the Japanese side, don't they list the roles with the voice actors? Someone needs to check their credits, because they at least list the roles alongside the voice actors, unlike the dub who just list the voice actors.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom