• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spin-Offs You’d Like to See Remade or Continued

Pokemon Ranger: Sadly this will probably never happen given the technology of the Switch. The Ranger series was my favorite spinoff series; i really enjoy looking back at them and picking out all the little things that have gradually transitioned to the main games. I enjoyed the story writing and the characters were engaging and interesting. Maybe if they can find a way to transition or adjust the gameplay of Ranger onto the Switch in some new way, they could bring the series back, but I doubt it, sadly. :/
What do you mean? The Switch still has a touch screen. I could also easily see them using motion controls for the capture stylus, or just switching to using joysticks for it.

What do you mean? The Switch still has a touch screen. I could also easily see them using motion controls for the capture stylus, or just switching to using joysticks for it.
The unique setup of the DS and its touch screen + stylus was intuitive and perfect for the gameplay of Ranger, especially for more intense battles that require precise and quick captures. The Switch's touchscreen, though it does exist, wouldn't be as compatible to the gameplay of Ranger. The Switch is too clunky to utilize Ranger's touch screen controls well, in my opinion; plus it doesn't have a stylus. The only game I've seen that utilizes touch screen controls well is Okami HD, which brings me to my next point; games that utilize the touch screen heavily don't map super well when playing in docked mode. This is true for games like Okami, as well as Super Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Quest, for example. Motion controls would feel too weird just circling the JoyCons around, and using the joysticks won't allow for those precision captures that I mentioned earlier.

If there were ever a chance for a Ranger resurgence I think that Creatures Inc. and HAL missed their window by not putting a Ranger game on the 3DS. But it's still fun to reminisce and hope for some sort of return to the world of Pokemon Ranger.

Definitely Colosseum for me. It was one of the few Pokemon spin-offs that I actually got to play, so I have fond memories of it, especially since it was during the time Pokemon was fluctuating in popularity (Gen 3 was a rough time). Despite that, it was a really fun game and I would love to see it with updated graphics, current-day mechanics, and maybe a few new bells and whistles like TRs alongside TMs and some new Mons. Even if it's just a port with the updated graphics/mechanics I'd still buy it.

Another one, and this is probably controversial, but maybe a continuation/remaster for the Stadium games, especially Battle Revolution. Like Colosseum, Battle Revolution was one of the only spin-offs I got to play, and while I won't deny it was a step back from the original Stadium games (though, again, I never got to play them, as I lacked the system for it), it actually had some advances over most current-day Pokemon games, like the Mons actually running up to their opponent and attacking them. If they could maybe do a massive overhaul/remaster by combining the best assets of the previous Stadium games, like the minigames, with Battle Revolution's best components, add in a few QoL updates (like being able to replay lower tier battles), a more user-friendly online function, and throw in some bonuses like free Mystery Gift Mons like the Electrivire and Magmortar and it could be a really good game. I know that because of the jump to 3D, and later to the Switch, a Stadium-like game is pretty redundant, but it wouldn't hurt to give it one more go-around. I know Battle Revolution was pretty much the killer for Stadium games, but it still had some pros to it. Just thought I'd throw that idea out, as it could be of some worth.

I would definitely love a remake for the Orre games (Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, totally not biased just because I write a fanfic for it). It would help add more to the games, especially since the actually named protagonists with backstories (Wes and Michael, with Rui as a tagalong character for Wes) lack a lot of it due to sharing the heroic mime that the main characters have, and Rui just being put down as a gimmick due her unique ability of seeing Shadow Pokémon. A continuation would be good as well, since there is actually a sequel tease at the end of the main game.

Another one is Conquest (for those who don't know basically Pokémon X Fire Emblem, or Nobunaga's Ambition a different game in the same genre as FE). It is the most unique and best spin-offs with the Pokémon name in it. Honestly with how lackluster some previous spin-offs have been to me, having the series revist one of their greatest concepts would be nice.

The unique setup of the DS and its touch screen + stylus was intuitive and perfect for the gameplay of Ranger, especially for more intense battles that require precise and quick captures. The Switch's touchscreen, though it does exist, wouldn't be as compatible to the gameplay of Ranger. The Switch is too clunky to utilize Ranger's touch screen controls well, in my opinion; plus it doesn't have a stylus. The only game I've seen that utilizes touch screen controls well is Okami HD, which brings me to my next point; games that utilize the touch screen heavily don't map super well when playing in docked mode. This is true for games like Okami, as well as Super Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Quest, for example. Motion controls would feel too weird just circling the JoyCons around, and using the joysticks won't allow for those precision captures that I mentioned earlier.

If there were ever a chance for a Ranger resurgence I think that Creatures Inc. and HAL missed their window by not putting a Ranger game on the 3DS. But it's still fun to reminisce and hope for some sort of return to the world of Pokemon Ranger.

I don't believe that the touch-based mechanic of Ranger would work well on the Switch. I think that they'd need to rethink the befriending mechanic...perhaps change it to signs/emblems. Ranger Signs introduced the symbols that you would need to draw in order to summon certain Pkmn so why not change it so that it can be used to befriend Pkmn, with different levels of power, types (Grass, Fire, Water, etc.) and done with the motion controlers. They could also make some pose-based signs if the new Ranger game was in Alola, to look like Z-moves!

I don't believe that the touch-based mechanic of Ranger would work well on the Switch. I think that they'd need to rethink the befriending mechanic...perhaps change it to signs/emblems. Ranger Signs introduced the symbols that you would need to draw in order to summon certain Pkmn so why not change it so that it can be used to befriend Pkmn, with different levels of power, types (Grass, Fire, Water, etc.) and done with the motion controlers. They could also make some pose-based signs if the new Ranger game was in Alola, to look like Z-moves!

Yeah, I agree with you on the first part. Changing it to signs and emblems would be interesting... it's got me thinking though about how they would keep the core gameplay with something like this. I'm thinking maybe something like a bullet-hell twin stick shooter a la Enter the Gungeon? Maybe the Styler is on screen at all times rather than just when your stylus is touching the screen; you use the left stick to move it, and the right stick to shoot bursts of light at the Pokemon you're trying to capture or something which fills up a gauge similar to the old ranger games.

Pokepark, or some kind of spiritual successor. The first two games, especially the 2nd, are a good foundation for a solid action adventure spinoff. A new game that's less focused on the minigames and more focused on the battling and exploration would be a nice addition to the series and the Switch's lineup.

I'd also like to see another game in the Colosseum/XD series. Even with the main games on console, there's still a place for this series. Snagging is such a fun mechanic that I'd like to see again.

I wouldn't mind Pokemon Snap again either.

Definitely Colosseum for me. It was one of the few Pokemon spin-offs that I actually got to play, so I have fond memories of it, especially since it was during the time Pokemon was fluctuating in popularity (Gen 3 was a rough time). Despite that, it was a really fun game and I would love to see it with updated graphics, current-day mechanics, and maybe a few new bells and whistles like TRs alongside TMs and some new Mons. Even if it's just a port with the updated graphics/mechanics I'd still buy it.

Another one, and this is probably controversial, but maybe a continuation/remaster for the Stadium games, especially Battle Revolution. Like Colosseum, Battle Revolution was one of the only spin-offs I got to play, and while I won't deny it was a step back from the original Stadium games (though, again, I never got to play them, as I lacked the system for it), it actually had some advances over most current-day Pokemon games, like the Mons actually running up to their opponent and attacking them. If they could maybe do a massive overhaul/remaster by combining the best assets of the previous Stadium games, like the minigames, with Battle Revolution's best components, add in a few QoL updates (like being able to replay lower tier battles), a more user-friendly online function, and throw in some bonuses like free Mystery Gift Mons like the Electrivire and Magmortar and it could be a really good game. I know that because of the jump to 3D, and later to the Switch, a Stadium-like game is pretty redundant, but it wouldn't hurt to give it one more go-around. I know Battle Revolution was pretty much the killer for Stadium games, but it still had some pros to it. Just thought I'd throw that idea out, as it could be of some worth.
Colosseum had a Battle Mode feature akin to the stadiums from Stadium (no Gym Leader Castle, though). It wouldn't be too difficult to make the facilities more varied, although I'd be interested even in just Little Cup and Challenge Cup (Battle Factory). Inverse Battles would be a more modern addition.

Realistically, Game Freak wouldn't want the competition.

Last edited:
agreed with the conquest posts. i think the only thing i disliked about conquest was the post-game (i have a fuzzy memory of it but as i recall you didn't keep your custom-built teams and had to use pre-built ones), but the main game was super fun to me and i'd love to see a sequel or a continuation of it in some manner.

Pokemon Trading Card Game was a surprising amount of fun on the GB. I never played the card game, but it was brought to life in video game format in a way that was fun. It's a shame this series was discontinued and that we didn't even get the sequel in the west. :(
We got a third entry for the DS, but it was a tutorial to play the game. I would like one that is like the Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force games (in the sense that every single card at the time is a available in the game).

Pokemon Trading Card Game was a surprising amount of fun on the GB. I never played the card game, but it was brought to life in video game format in a way that was fun. It's a shame this series was discontinued and that we didn't even get the sequel in the west. :(
We got a third entry for the DS, but it was a tutorial to play the game. I would like one that is like the Yu-Gi-Oh! Tag Force games (in the sense that every single card at the time is a available in the game).
You guys should check out the TCGO! No story mode, sadly, but it does a great job with the gameplay!

I know about it, but I would have preferred that the cards didn't get rotated, and access to older cards.

EDIT: Also, I have a crappy internet connection.
It really just depends on what section of the game you play. I've been playing Expanded for a while and still use XY cards that I know weren't allowed in official in-person matches, and I haven't really missed out on anything because of it. (Poor internet connection sucks, though)

You guys should check out the TCGO! No story mode, sadly, but it does a great job with the gameplay!
I played it for a little while, but the lack of story really killed my interest since there's only so much fun I can get out of battling so many times without some sort of narrative to follow or even a goal to accomplish.

I needs a proper TCG video game like the days of old, but expanded upon. There's so many things you could do and I'd throw money at it! :whistle:

I played it for a little while, but the lack of story really killed my interest since there's only so much fun I can get out of battling so many times without some sort of narrative to follow or even a goal to accomplish.

I needs a proper TCG video game like the days of old, but expanded upon. There's so many things you could do and I'd throw money at it! :whistle:

I was actually coming in here to respond to just say that. I don't get much amusement out of battles alone. I need some kind of narrative, something to strive for.

Pokemon TCG's story was extremely bare bones IIRC, but it had enough of a narrative to keep me going to the end.

I actually had the same issue with Battle Revolution. There was just no narrative or plot to really drive me to want to make the effort to beat all the leaders or anything. Especially coming off of Colo/XD which had terrific storylines, I was really disappointed. Hoping the Shadow Pokémon series makes a comeback on Switch.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom