• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could add a new type, what would it be?

the Alien/Outerspace/Space type,

immune to fairy, resist fire, resists psychic, resists steel , resists dragon, resists flying

Alien would be SE against fairy

Bug would be SE against and resist it
Ice would be SE against it and be immune against Alien(Deoxys was frozen even as a powerful psyhcic type needed warmth to replicate again)
Poison would resist it
Grass would resist it
Ghost would resist it

would retype Deoxys(add to psychic), Cleffable(add to it's fairy typing) ,Elgyem line(add to psychic), Jirachi(switch with psychic),

Last edited:
Sapce is a huge missed opportunity and one that could lead to many interesting Pokemon based on galaxies, planets or different interpretations of aliens. Its moves could involve gravity powers and alien beams. Also, imagine combinations like Space/Fairy or Space/Fighting, gym designs and leader designs. Its possible relations would be

Inmune to: Flying
Resistant: Electric, Fighting
Weak: Ghost, Ground, Dark
Not very effective: Bug, Dark, Psychic
Very effective: Normal, Rock, Fighting
Zero damage to: Ice

I'm with the Sound type crowd. There are plenty of Pokemon and moves that should definitely not be Normal and would fit this type. Plus, I'm a huge music fan so of course I'd love all the music-related Pokemon to have their own type.

Immune to: Fighting (you can't punch the sound, can you?), Normal (same thing)
Resistant to: Bug, Ice
Weak to: Flying, Electric, Steel
Very effective against: Rock, Ice, Normal, Psychic (this last one because it is known that music affect the mood/ mind of people)
Not very effective against: Water, Flying, Electric, Ghost, Ground
Zero damage to: None (Space if it was an actual type)

Possible Pokemon to gain this type: the Jigglypuff line, the Exploud Line, the Rillaboom Line, the Toxticitry line, the Chimecho line, the Primarina line, Obstagoon, Maractus, Meloetta, Chatot, the Kricketune line, the Bronzong line, maybe even Hitmontop because of the ginga.

Last edited:
I would add a Light-type. It would be the direct counter to Dark-type and other more supernatural Pokémon like Fairy and Ghost-types.

Immune to: Dark
Resistant to: Fairy, Ghost
Weak to: Steel, Psychic
Super effective against: Dark, Fairy, Ghost
Not Very Effective against: Water, Steel
Zero Damage to: Grass (even more, any pure Grass-type would actually photosynthesize the light and gain health from it equivalent to the damage that would have been inflicted)

Possible existing Pokémon with this type would be: Gardevoir, Mew, Mewtwo, Arceus (with plate), Rotom (regional form), Necrozma.

Special notes - Many Light-type moves, even some stronger ones, would have accuracy reduction as a secondary effect. Used correctly, Light-types would be incredibly powerful. However, beware of Grass-types, for they could use Light-type attacks to heal.

A Cyber-type is always my answer to this question. The concept of cybernetics is thematically rich enough to support a wide variety of ideas and interpretations, and I think it feels distinct enough from any of the other types to not feel like it overlaps with an existing one.

I only have a rough idea of the strengths and weaknesses, about which I'd be open to suggestions.

Weak against: Fire (overheats computers), Water (shorts out circuitry), Bug (a play on software bugs, also Bug needs a buff), maybe also Electric (big electrical surges overloading electronics? EM pulses, etc.)

Resistant to: Poison (can't really poison a cybernetic arm or whatever), Psychic (psychic powers may be able to pry into organic minds, but in this interpretation, they can't penetrate computers), Steel (cybernetics commonly involve steel and machinery so they're right at home there)

Immune to: Fairy (playing on the idea that science doesn't believe in fairy tales, but I could adjust this to NVE if full immunity is too overpowered)

Supereffective on: Fairy (to give Fairy another counter, also see the logic on the previous note), Fighting (imagine a supercomputer being able to quickly predict an opponents moves through pattern recognition, or bionic enhancements being able to outmatch organic muscles), maybe Ghost? (kinda thinking as a call-back to the Silph Scope)

Not very effective against: Steel (reciprocating the symbiotic relationship that makes Steel NVE against Cyber), Dark (if the logic is that a supercomputer can outwit someone fighting according to a particular style or routine, then the Dark type's chaotic proclivities can think outside the box), possibly Electric?

Also, I'd retcon Porygon's family into a Cyber-type line, and make Voltorb and Electrode both Electric/Cyber. Genesect becomes Bug/Cyber.

Last edited:
A Cyber-type is always my answer to this question. The concept of cybernetics is thematically rich enough to support a wide variety of ideas and interpretations, and I think it feels distinct enough from any of the other types to not feel like it overlaps with an existing one.

Also, I'd retcon Porygon's family into a Cyber-type line, and make Voltorb and Electrode both Electric/Cyber. Genesect becomes Bug/Cyber.

Cool idea. It would be great especially for the Porygon line and other "artificial" Mons. Another name for the type could be Digital.

Tbh, people wanting Sound and Light type for so long, while in reality, they don't really work anymore. We are too late in for those 2 typings.
Sound typing is literally Normal Type (Many Normal type moves do the same as Sound typing). We also have Pokemon that do fit Sound type, but cannot really be converted into one (Noivern is one example, taking away Flying and Dragon doesn't make sense since its based on a Wyvern, another problem is Toxtricity due to its English name, which is literally Toxic and Electricity combined), so realistically, you can only make Pure normal types into Sound types and we don't nearly have enough of them (Only the Whismur line comes to mind and Chatot for dual normal/flying, losing its Normal typing).
Light typing is literally a combination of Psychic and Fairy.

Cyber typing is a neat idea, but i personally would call it Tech typing, since there are a couple of Pokemon where Cybernetics doesn't really fit (Cybernetics is only one branch of technology).

Tbh, people wanting Sound and Light type for so long, while in reality, they don't really work anymore. We are too late in for those 2 typings.
Sound typing is literally Normal Type (Many Normal type moves do the same as Sound typing). We also have Pokemon that do fit Sound type, but cannot really be converted into one (Noivern is one example, taking away Flying and Dragon doesn't make sense since its based on a Wyvern, another problem is Toxtricity due to its English name, which is literally Toxic and Electricity combined), so realistically, you can only make Pure normal types into Sound types and we don't nearly have enough of them (Only the Whismur line comes to mind and Chatot for dual normal/flying, losing its Normal typing).

They could work as long as G.F. creates new Pokemon for the new types (and add the most fitting from old Mons), especially Sound. I do not agree that Normal is the equivalent of Sound at all. Sound is a physical phenomenon created by sound waves, Normal represent just the normal animal types of the real world, most commonly mammals (and birds to some extent), not sound itself nor any other physical phenomenon. While mammals and "normal" animals do have the ability of making sound, so does so many more things. And I mean THINGS as in both living things and inert things. A Pokemon type is not just about the mechanics of the game, but what that type represents, some lore behind it, and how it interacts with other types.

That being said, I do agree that some Pokemon don't really need to become Sound type, such as Noivern, which makes more sense as a Dragon / Flying than, say, Dragon / Sound. But others do make more sense if they became the Sound type, just like the two Mons you mentioned, and quite a few more when you analyze their inspirations and powers.

Sound could well be its own type without a problem. I can start with very few Pokemon and add numbers as new generations come along. But also, I do realize it is highly unlikely that it will become an actual canon type, for G.F. hasn't added it yet in eight generations (and over 20 years of the franchise). This is just a wish and a hope. The whole point of the thread is, to my understanding, the WOULD BEs, not the WILL BEs.

Last edited:
there could be a region where they discovered a new type and retyped some old pokemon similar like in gen 6.

Now we have 18 type, to make it fair 2 new types would need to be created... to make it 20 types.

Space and ...

They wanted in past a Beast type but did Normal instead...

hmmm we got:

as for paranormal types:

-ghost
-fairy
-dark,
-psyhic
-dragon

- a new paranormal type maybe????
-magic could be outside from fairy and psychic
-zombie, dead bodies arent ghosts, but could be ghost/normal or ghost fighting....

-demons,
-angels
-ancient
this 3 feel like fairies mixed with something actually....

we got nature types like:

-ground
-rock
- steel

-flying

-grass

-water
- ice

- fire
-electric

- poison

-space, taking that is natural and science knows it it would fit here

- what if a "gas" type would exist? technically steam is diffrent form of water by other temperature then ice could be SE against it, it could be immune to flying because gas lets everything what flies through but that could be done as a ability against flying types for ghost or poison actually too. bc gas is flying...

-or maybe in a region they created a artificial Plastique or Tech type how you would want to call it , could be called Artificial type, human created... would make some sense but would be hard to handle... the is also glass that would fit this category, sand that changed through heat... but that could be a fire/ground or fire/rock with ability to change resistance and immunities...Artificial generaly would be like steel but without ground weakness and would give water,electric,bug, flying resistance and could give diffrent immunity then space...

then we got:
-normal
-fighting

Nothing really.

Only thing I can think of is Beast-type but it'd be a bit difficult to retype certain moves into Beast-type. Cause what exactly classifies if a move is a Beast move over something else.

As far as Pokémon go, Arcanine, Mightyena, Granbull, just to name 3 of them.

Nothing really.

Only thing I can think of is Beast-type but it'd be a bit difficult to retype certain moves into Beast-type. Cause what exactly classifies if a move is a Beast move over something else.

As far as Pokémon go, Arcanine, Mightyena, Granbull, just to name 3 of them.

would beast take fighting damage as normal? then what would happen with moves like Bite and Crunch? would ghost be immune to a third type?

The only type I see suggested often that I think would work and would be really cool is the "Digital/Techno/Cyber" type.

Light is already covered by Fairy. Sound I think is fine just as a subcategory of moves.

"Space/Cosmic/Alien" is one that I think could be cool but I think wouldn't make sense. Aliens are creatures from other planets, right? So if Pokemon exist in multiple planets, wouldn't the Earth mons technically be considered "aliens" relative to the ones from other planets too? And why would all Pokemon from planets aside from Earth share a common type when the ones from Earth don't? I might be overthinking it but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I would be all for it if it made sense though, the type could potentially have a lot of cool and out-there designs.

"Space/Cosmic/Alien" is one that I think could be cool but I think wouldn't make sense. Aliens are creatures from other planets, right? So if Pokemon exist in multiple planets, wouldn't the Earth mons technically be considered "aliens" relative to the ones from other planets too? And why would all Pokemon from planets aside from Earth share a common type when the ones from Earth don't? I might be overthinking it but it doesn't seem to make much sense.

I'd personally wouldn't give it to all aliens because like you said it would be weird, just to Pokémon that live in planets with extreme conditions or that are suited for space travel.

I'd personally wouldn't give it to all aliens because like you said it would be weird, just to Pokémon that live in planets with extreme conditions or that are suited for space travel.

Yeah, I thought more about it and as long as it wasn't called the "Alien" or "Space" type, which implies all Pokémon outside of Earth have it, it would be fine. Just name it "Cosmic" type and then it could cover mons based on aliens, stars, planets and other stuff.

I don't know what to call it. Maybe someone can help me with that. Conceptually, it would be something which Resists elemental forces (Water, Ice, Fire, Ground, Electric, Rock, Dark, Steel), is neutral vs non-elemental forces which are not life-based (Normal, poison, flying, psychic, fighting, ghost), and is weak to life itself (grass, bug, dragon, fairy). I'm not 100% sure on what I'd want offensively, it would kinda depend on what you call it. But I'd definitely want it to be super effective vs water and electric types, and not very effective vs grass types, for balance reasons at a minimum.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom