• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh The Game Is Out, Time To Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Wigglytuff would be in the games would it be the perfect counter to Dragapult ?
taking that only steel wing would be a problem for it?
If using Substitute/Atract , Dig, Playrough and Bounce against it in the right moment?
(hope it gets Encore and Disable)

If Wigglytuff would be in the games would it be the perfect counter to Dragapult ?
taking that only steel wing would be a problem for it?
If using Substitute/Atract , Dig, Playrough and Bounce against it in the right moment?
(hope it gets Encore and Disable)
Why would you run this set as a Dragapult counter anyway? Dig and Bounce are neutral and non-STAB and both take an extra turn which would give Dragapult free setup. Attract is just hax and no guarantee that the opponent will be the opposite gender. Fairy is STAB SE, why would you not run a single Fairy move?

Im not too familiar with the gen 8 meta, but if Dragapult is so prevalent that you would need to be running a specific counter to it, running Wigglytuff would just be a liability since it’s overall not very good and not even the best counter to Dragapult as others have pointed out.

Why would you run this set as a Dragapult counter anyway? Dig and Bounce are neutral and non-STAB and both take an extra turn which would give Dragapult free setup. Attract is just hax and no guarantee that the opponent will be the opposite gender. Fairy is STAB SE, why would you not run a single Fairy move?

Im not too familiar with the gen 8 meta, but if Dragapult is so prevalent that you would need to be running a specific counter to it, running Wigglytuff would just be a liability since it’s overall not very good and not even the best counter to Dragapult as others have pointed out.

immunity to dragon and ghost takes away the stab, Bounce has paralyze effect and Dig allows to avoid U-turn to not let it switch out and to land a hit... With its hp and defense it would get more chance to beat it if it got a fighting, poison or steel wings, if it gets even in future iron tail it will be ready for it...

If it would have encore and disable.. but with sing it can make it even sleep if it survives the first hit taking Dragapult has 120 attack and Wiglytuff has 140 hp and 45 defense depending on the used move of course. Dig is good to avoid a hit , Bounce too but Bounce gives paralysis, could ba hide and run tactic if Dragapult has Dive.

immunity to dragon and ghost takes away the stab, Bounce has paralyze effect and Dig allows to avoid U-turn to not let it switch out and to land a hit... With its hp and defense it would get more chance to beat it if it got a fighting, poison or steel wings, if it gets even in future iron tail it will be ready for it...

If it would have encore and disable.. but with sing it can make it even sleep if it survives the first hit taking Dragapult has 120 attack and Wiglytuff has 140 hp and 45 defense depending on the used move of course. Dig is good to avoid a hit , Bounce too but Bounce gives paralysis, could ba hide and run tactic if Dragapult has Dive.
This is really random lol but I guess I’ll continue:
Dragapult outspeeds so even with Bounce and Dig, it will be able to hit Wigglytuff and then set up or switch next turn without having to worry about taking much damage from Wigglytuff’s bad attack stat and a non-STAB move that doesn’t even have great BP. If you’re running Bounce for Paralysis, you’re better off just running straight up Thunder Wave. Even that isn’t going to help you much. Sing is just more unreliable haxing and you aren’t running anything on your set to set up in order to abuse it.
There also still isn’t a single STAB-SE Fairy move on your set so Wigglytuff isn’t getting rid of Dragapult anytime soon.
Being immune to both of Dragapult’s STABs doesn’t mean anything if you can’t do anything good in return. Even if you force the switch, now you’re stuck using...Wigglytuff.
Not sure why you’re set on having Wigglytuff be a counter when it isn’t and there are so many better ones that are actually in the game.

Your relying on the opponent having the perfect set for you to counter, rather than countering the Pokemon with moves it's most likely to have.

Dragapult vs Wigglytuff -

Obviously Ghost and Dragon moves are useless, that's one small niche, but most teams already have a Clefable or other Fairy type to absorb a Dragon move.

Your best bet is to use what Wigglytuff has over others, which isn't much. Pending moveset changes, you could run;

Utilitytuff
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Teleport
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Dragapult can take two Knock Offs or Two Dazzling Gleams. If Wigglytuff gets Moonblast, it'll still take two hits. If by some miracle it does get Moonblast,...

Wigglytough
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

That can get a guranteed OHKO against a typical Dragapult. But It does nothing that Clefable, Mimikyu, etc could do.

It has been over three months since I finished playing the copy of Pokémon Sword.

I was really impressed by the animation and graphics. This is the first time I play a Pokémon game in HD, and everything impressed me even more on the smart TV. Due to that, I didn't realise how flat the games were for a good while, only to realise the cons of the game now.

First of all, the story is very blank. We don't in fact even have a villainous team that put us in trouble time to time. Chairman Rose was the only person out there who was putting things in danger, and that is too predictible and not satisfying at all. The story goes on a single line where you challenge gyms one after another, defeat rivals. Adding the easiness of the ingame play to the list, nothing was actually impactful. "Go, Pokémon, use that strong move, return and let's go" formula gets old almost a decade ago when XY were released, and now it goes on and on and on.

You can still finish the game within days, and all there is left for you is chase Wild Area for a while to get rest of the Pokémon you're lacking, while it is a good way to keep playing games, it being the ONLY thing is not helpful.

The world could have expressed us more freedom for players. Additionally, no free camera outside of Wild Area is a big bummer, because there is no reason not to introduce that. We didn't really need to go on a very particular pattern until the end. One can realise the notes taken from BotW with all those similarities in the game, but even they are not taken properly, or good enough. The both games are being sold for the same price but if I was asked which one to get, despite of being hardcore Pokémon fan and playing one single Zelda game, I would miles away without a doubt recommend BotW over Sword and Shield. Sword and Shield are definitely not worth the money they require. (I am glad I got my game 35€ on Amazon, otherwise I would feel kind of bad for paying 60.)

Nintendo never accepted this, but now it occurs to me the ONLY reason all Pokémon are not available in single game is just because they want to make more money on DLCs. The modern gaming concept is simple. I pay to buy the actual game. But then I have to pay subscription for online contents. But I didn't have Switch subscription, so I skipped on them. But now, in order to complete the incomplete game with DLCs (which were supposed to make games more rich, not complete what is not there), not only I have to buy them by paying extra, but also I have to buy a subscription. That is a big nonsense.

The expansions are also ridiculously expensive and I am 100% positive they won't be worth the money. If GameFreak paid the same efford that they did for BotW, the games could be legendary, but at this point, including Let's Go games, they are milking only because of the name "Pokémon", but not for what they've done.

Nintendo never accepted this, but now it occurs to me the ONLY reason all Pokémon are not available in single game is just because they want to make more money on DLCs. The modern gaming concept is simple. I pay to buy the actual game. But then I have to pay subscription for online contents. But I didn't have Switch subscription, so I skipped on them. But now, in order to complete the incomplete game with DLCs (which were supposed to make games more rich, not complete what is not there), not only I have to buy them by paying extra, but also I have to buy a subscription. That is a big nonsense.
Not exactly. You don't need a subscription to get the DLC, and the Pokémon themselves are free. You also don't need a subscription to use Home to trade.

I would make some adjustments to the Old Pokemon in the Galar Roster.
Personally, i see no point in having four Water/Ground types with Tympole line, Wooper line, Shellos line and Barboach line, especially since three of those are 2-line instead of a 3 line. I would take out the Shellos and Barboach line, because Tympole and Wooper lines aren't featured in the gen 7 games, while Shellos and Barboach are. The fact that we also have 2 Water/Rock lines, doesn't help either for the Water/Ground types. I would include a Steel type or a Fire type (Especially Fire is represented bad in the dex, with Vulpix line, Growlithe line, Salandit line, Flareon, Turtonator, Heatmor and the Litwick line being the only fire types catchable in the game (Not counting Scorbunny line, since its a starter line and you cannot obtain it in the wild and not counting Charmander, since its only obtainable post-game).

(Especially Fire is represented bad in the dex, with Vulpix line, Growlithe line, Salandit line, Flareon, Turtonator, Heatmor and the Litwick line being the only fire types catchable in the game (Not counting Scorbunny line, since its a starter line and you cannot obtain it in the wild and not counting Charmander, since its only obtainable post-game).
There’s also Sizzlipede, Coalossal, Torkoal, and technically Heat-Rotom and G-Darmanitan Zen though I can see why you wouldn’t count those last 2. I do think that’s a decent amount of representation, though, and we’re getting more in the expansion as well with at least Talonflame and Larvesta plus legendaries.

There’s also Sizzlipede, Coalossal, Torkoal, and technically Heat-Rotom and G-Darmanitan Zen though I can see why you wouldn’t count those last 2. I do think that’s a decent amount of representation, though, and we’re getting more in the expansion as well with at least Talonflame and Larvesta plus legendaries.

Forgot about Torkoal.
I haven't counted Sizzlipede and Coalossal because they are new Pokemon. Heat-Rotom and G-Darmanitan Zen are forms and not required to fill up the dex.

While its true we get more Fire types in the DLC, i feel like that especially Talonflame was meant to be be in the base game (Due to the Weathervain upon Hops house).

I would put Shellos and Barboach in the DLC, but wouldn't make the other 2 obtainable in the Isle of Armor or Crown Tundra. You could even have split Shellos into both DLC (One of the Forms in Isle, the other one in Crown).

Well let's look at the integration of older Fire-type families in previous base games' regional Dexes:

GS - Vulpix (in Silver), Growlithe (in Gold), Magmar, Flareon (but it's post-game), and Ponyta (but it's at Victory Road) for a total of 5, but your game is only going to have 2 available until you've earned all 8 Badges.

RS - Slugma and Vulpix for a total of 2.

DP - Ponyta for a hilarious total of 1.

BW - 0, but this is kind of a special case.

XY - Pansear, Houndour, Flareon, Slugma, Litwick, Torkoal, and Heatmor for a total of 7, plus there is an optional gift Charmander which unlike in SS is available early on in the game.

SM - Growlithe, Flareon, Fletchinder, Salandit, Magby, Torkoal, Cyndaquil, Litwick, and Emboar for a total of 9, plus Alolan Marowak if you want to count that.

SS - Vulpix, Growlithe, Flareon, Salandit, Litwick, Torkoal, Heatmor, and Turtonator (for Sun players) for a total of 7 or 8 depending on your game.

The last three sets of base games have all maintained a steady average. Not to say you can't want more Fire types in the Dex, but it at least seems like they're trying to keep to a standard.

At any rate, I do agree that the "Mud" types are a little oversaturated.

You can still finish the game within days,

i'll be honest, the only pokemon game that took me a long time to beat was USUM and even then i was right in front of the pokemon league before losing motivation (through no fault of the game itself, i was going through a lot at the time and didn't have the drive to keep playing). i didn't know beating the game within a matter of days is a bad thing? i guess it depends on how much free time you have and how much you're willing to marathon in your pokemon game, but it never took me long to beat any other pokemon game, tbh.

everyone is entitled to whatever opinion they have about swsh at the end of the day. there are certainly things that can be improved for sure. i got the dlc anyway because i'm excited to shiny hunt the returning pokemon and i think it'll be worth it for that experience alone and anything else would be a bonus.

Sure, you can finish almost any Pokémon game quickly, but there are so many different play styles to account for. SwSh took me weeks to get through because I’m a completionist and I catch every Pokémon right away. Plus I interact with all the NPCs, experiment with mini games and side modes like camp and max raids read all the dialogue...etc. Compared to other games, Sword and Shield did not disappoint, in my opinion, in the way of providing optional ways to enhance and lengthen your journey as you see fit.

Technically speaking, every main series game can be finished within mere hours.

For what it's worth, it took me a little less than a week to get through Sword on the first run, but that never really struck me as a problem. The story and the pace kept me engaged and I was excited to continue progressing. Pokémon isn't the only game I play, either, so I don't really need it to keep me locked in for too long (although I have sunk 300 hours into Sword by now).

Last edited:
On a side note: I’ve come up with a few headcanons, Leon and Hop's family comes from the India or have Indian ancestry equivalent of the Pokémon world, along with the majority of the darker skinned NPCs (Copperajah's native region). Most of them have the perfect skin tone for that and real life UK sees a lot of migration from India, not to mention the colonial history. The curry mechanic is laden with Indian references with curries overall being a crucial dish in India, and "Masala Curry" being purely Indian in origin (Masala is Hindi for "spice").

On a side note: I’ve come up with a few headcanons, Leon and Hop's family comes from the India or have Indian ancestry equivalent of the Pokémon world, along with the majority of the darker skinned NPCs (Copperajah's native region). Most of them have the perfect skin tone for that and real life UK sees a lot of migration from India, not to mention the colonial history. The curry mechanic is laden with Indian references with curries overall being a crucial dish in India, and "Masala Curry" being purely Indian in origin (Masala is Hindi for "spice").

Nah, its obvious Hop and Hau are related, they even use the same hand movement.

It’s further supported by the fact that Leon has an Indian name and Hau has a Muslim name from the area in the French versions.

(Leon’s named Tarak and Hop’s named Nabil).
It also makes sense that most PoC in Galar would be Indian/Pakistani/Bangaldesh/South Asian since they’re the largest immigrant communities there.

So I’ve been grinding raids for the past, like, month or so attempting to get shiny Gmax forms from the previous event and I’ve kinda grown tired of seeing the same Pokémon in raids over and over. Noctowl, Crustle, Hitmonchan, Cloyster etc. are all super common and it’s getting annoying fighting them for the 9000th time. To break up the raid monotony, what if the additional Pokémon released in the DLCs were made available in the base game as raid exclusives? Not only would that allow players without the DLC an easy way to obtain those Pokémon, it would also make the pool of raid bosses more diverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom