• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Situation Room 4.0: A Mafia situation

I don't know. I don't get what's so fun about playing less of a game.
Certain people thrive on the challenge. Speedrunning and trying to get the fastest time possible is a great competitive... I guess sport... for many people.

It's the same reason I turn the difficulty up to insane levels in most games I play.

see, there's a difference between turning up difficulty settings and deliberately trying to play less of the game.
Maybe I'm just crazy, though.
100% speedruns exist :p

but it's more about the what can I do with this game rather than the fact you're playing less of it, most speedruns are made to show off tech, mechanics, or glitches in a game most don't know about or aren't utilized enough in the game itself.

I don't like speedruns because while yes they put all that effort into it.
It just feels like they're not playing it how it should be played, especially when they use cheats and glitches and call it a valid method of completing the game.
I know I'd find a lot more enjoyment playing the game normally then trying to complete it really fast, same goes for watching other people do it.

Not interested in speedruns myself, whether watching or playing I like to take time with games and explore every part of the game if possible and do things at my own pace though I'm not all that talented at gaming.

There's no taking away that speedrunners are insanely dedicated and talented though and if that's the method of playing the game they enjoy who's to say that's wrong, we all enjoy games in our way.

It just feels like they're not playing it how it should be played, especially when they use cheats and glitches and call it a valid method of completing the game.
I know I'd find a lot more enjoyment playing the game normally then trying to complete it really fast, same goes for watching other people do it.
People who do speed runs are usually people that have already played the game the way it is supposed to be played. Many of them have played the game through dozens or hundreds of times.

People who do speed runs are usually people that have already played the game the way it is supposed to be played. Many of them have played the game through dozens or hundreds of times.
Yeah I get that, I mentioned that.
I just can't imagine playing a game without playing it as intended xP

*quickly and quietly hides the modding communities* :p

*wonders if I should point out my attempts to play shooter games like Deus Ex and Far Cry as a pacifist* :p
I've been thinking a lot about Deus Ex lately, maybe I should replay it, especially that prison level.
Also they're intended to be played either way, Deus Ex actually acknowledges you can do either pacifist or guns blazing (and going guns blazing in a stealth based game makes the whole game feel different in your second playthrough)

I've been thinking a lot about Deus Ex lately, maybe I should replay it, especially that prison level.
Also they're intended to be played either way, Deus Ex actually acknowledges you can do either pacifist or guns blazing (and going guns blazing in a stealth based game makes the whole game feel different in your second playthrough)
Depends which version you mean... As I'm most familiar with Human revolution and its sequel. Really good games.

And yeah, I know... They even have an achievement in the game for completing the game without killing anyone other than bosses. I was more just meaning that I do enjoy playing games in ways other than intended.

I tried Doom 2 as a completely pacifist run... Man that is VERY hard to get past the second level, due to the number of enemies you can't even harm but that have no problem harming you.

games are supposed to be an art form, in most art forms you can determine what you want out of it for yourself, the whole "play as intended" mentality was something I used to believe but tbh it's BS when you payed for it, you can play how you want, and if they're a "right" way to play then it defeats the whole point of a game. some games like the NES legend of zelda games were designed with multiple philosophies in mind, from working with friends to reach the end to figuring it out yourself to just straight up consulting a guide.

as for speedruns like snowy said these people have played the game more than anyone else, usually they've beaten it normally 100 times more than you, and a lot of them still play the games normally when not speedrunning it.

as for deus ex, the first 2 games were definitely allowing for pacifist runs, one of the controversies of human revolution from older fans was the lack of circumventing bosses, as in the original game no boss had to be fought.

as for deus ex, the first 2 games were definitely allowing for pacifist runs, one of the controversies of human revolution from older fans was the lack of circumventing bosses, as in the original game no boss had to be fought.
Which is a complaint they took on board for the sequel, and all bosses could be defeated without killing them.

games are supposed to be an art form, in most art forms you can determine what you want out of it for yourself, the whole "play as intended" mentality was something I used to believe but tbh it's BS when you payed for it, you can play how you want, and if they're a "right" way to play then it defeats the whole point of a game. some games like the NES legend of zelda games were designed with multiple philosophies in mind, from working with friends to reach the end to figuring it out yourself to just straight up consulting a guide.

as for speedruns like snowy said these people have played the game more than anyone else, usually they've beaten it normally 100 times more than you, and a lot of them still play the games normally when not speedrunning it.

When I say "play as intended" I mean play as the developers intended. When people make a game, they're probably not making it with speed-runners in mind, they're making them to be played in a specific way, such as a game where you wouldn't be expected to play as a pacifist.
Which is a complaint they took on board for the sequel, and all bosses could be defeated without killing them.
They also amended it in the Director's Cut of Human Revolution and made them possible to do non lethally.

When I say "play as intended" I mean play as the developers intended. When people make a game, they're probably not making it with speed-runners in mind, they're making them to be played in a specific way, such as a game where you wouldn't be expected to play as a pacifist.
Personally, i don't care how they intended it to be played. Imo the awesome thing about games is the limitless possibilities.

They also amended it in the Director's Cut of Human Revolution and made them possible to do non lethally.
I never knew that and i own the DC version. Need to try that now.

and even then some games actually are made with speedrunning in mind, a hat in time is the examppe most people talk about.

and even then some games actually are made with speedrunning in mind, a hat in time is the examppe most people talk about.
This is true too. Some games (the original doom for example) include a time to beat, others include leaderboard like systems - even in single player.

RPG speedruns are a little less fun to watch in my opinion because RNG and luck kinda take away from the skill.

Take Pokemon Red for example. So many runners are forced to restart after the first 7 minutes if they don't get the right Nidoran, and if they die at all the run is dead. There's no talent either it's just menuing the entire time. If there's talent anywhere it's in the routers who create the optimal routes for the runners.

Back
Top Bottom