• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What will happen right after the Isle or Armor and the Crown Tundra original release?

Right after the Isle or Armor and Crown Tundra releases, what do you think might happen?

• Remastered Compilation of Generations I-VII Main Series Video Games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
As much as I want to the unsustainable annual releases to stop being a thing, I'm doubtful it will stop happening as long as the games keep selling.

If the TPC/ Game Freak upper management think an anniversary game can be made, they will probably attempt to get it made regardless it is sustainable for the workers to make it.

Between splitting their already small workforce between 2 pokemon games at one time and the Japenese work culture of working oneself extremely hard, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the employees are a bit overworked
Considering Sun and Moon and how those games turned out this is likely.
The yearly releases have already ended thanks to the DLC, though. By "churning out anniversary games" I was referring to a new Generation like Sun and Moon. Not every anniversary has to mean a new Generation. It would get unfeasible quickly. But non new generation games can work off a previous engine and are feasible. I was disagreeing with Riley on how x anniversary would mean a new generation.

It's not a bad thing if the 30th anniversary is celebrated with a new gen though PROVIDED THAT it is Gen 9 and not Gen 10. I mean we're already at 2020 and 2021 is the 25th where a new gen would be extremely unlikely. If we get another DLC for Swoosh, a remake for DP plus DLC for it and maybe another remake for KANTOOOOO it'll pace out pretty nicely for the 30th anniversary imo.

2020: SwSh DLC 1-2
2021: SwSh DLC 3-4
2022: DP Remake
2023: DP DLC
2024: Break
2025: KANTOOOOOO
2026: Gen 9

Though this would only work out if the DLCs have substantial content (like I'm hoping they would).

It's not a bad thing if the 30th anniversary is celebrated with a new gen though PROVIDED THAT it is Gen 9 and not Gen 10. I mean we're already at 2020 and 2021 is the 25th where a new gen would be extremely unlikely. If we get another DLC for Swoosh, a remake for DP plus DLC for it and maybe another remake for KANTOOOOO it'll pace out pretty nicely for the 30th anniversary imo.

2020: SwSh DLC 1-2
2021: SwSh DLC 3-4
2022: DP Remake
2023: DP DLC
2024: Break
2025: KANTOOOOOO
2026: Gen 9
That'd mean skipping out on the sweet new Gen PR and extra income for a whole 6 years... which isn’t something I see GameFreak passing.

That'd mean skipping out on the sweet new Gen PR and extra income for a whole 6 years... which isn’t something I see GameFreak passing.

Is the new Gen PR entirely sweet though? Swoosh still sold very well but overall they received so much criticisms from it and they are IMO such mediocre games. Part of me wants them to spend more time on it, to make the generation better (which it what I believe-or desperately hope-they are trying to do with DLCs) but they might also just skip ahead and get into Gen 9 ASAP where we may very run into the problem of having a rushed underdeveloped game, worst still coming out at the tail end of the Switch's life cycle.

Is the new Gen PR entirely sweet though? Swoosh still sold very well but overall they received so much criticisms from it and they are IMO such mediocre games. Part of me wants them to spend more time on it, to make the generation better (which it what I believe-or desperately hope-they are trying to do with DLCs) but they might also just skip ahead and get into Gen 9 ASAP where we may very run into the problem of having a rushed underdeveloped game, worst still coming out at the tail end of the Switch's life cycle.
What we think of them didn’t really matter in the long run. There are enough people loving the games remember ThankYouGameFreak? On a side note: I find it slightly ridiculous that there’s stuff like "We should be grateful they’re making the games", when we're literally paying (it can be argued a worse value than previous entries) for them. GameFreak hardly make games for altruistic purposes. They get loads more than we get.

I've adopted the tendency separating of what I want them to and what they would do, since any sort of hopes have been crushed many times in the past.

The new generation brings a coalossal amount of income: merchandise sales, PR boosts due to new Pokemon, spotlight in the media. And new games would have higher margins too. They also tend to sell more than remakes or DLC,

They've done that before and they have no interest in stopping now.

They've done that before and they have no interest in stopping now.

They've made Double third versions before now but they're doing DLCs now so????

I've adopted the tendency separating of what I want them to and what they would do, since any sort of hopes have been crushed many times in the past.

The thing is, we don't really know what they would do. Our assumptions are made blind to a lot of other factors they'd consider so they are in that sense very arbitrary.

They've made Double third versions before now but they're doing DLCs now so????

The thing is, we don't really know what they would do. Our assumptions are made blind to a lot of other factors they'd consider so they are in that sense very arbitrary.
Considering how profitable and marketable new gens are I don't think that they would hold out on one for six years.

Considering how profitable and marketable new gens are I don't think that they would hold out on one for six years.

Now is there some kind of analysis on how profitable new gens are compared to remakes that I am not privy to?

New gens tend to sell the most out of all main series games.

That doesn't mean they're the most profitable though cause you haven't taken into account production costs. I would think USUM is a lot more profitable than SM simply because 90% of the work is already done and its sold at the same price as SM.

That doesn't mean they're the most profitable though cause you haven't taken into account production costs. I would think USUM is a lot more profitable than SM simply because 90% of the work is already done and its sold at the same price as SM.
They provide more PR, and kick start a new merchandise cycle with the new Pokemon. The majority of the profits come from merchandise sales so having a new stock of plushies provides new stuff to promote and sell.

2020: DLC released
2021: DP Remakes
2022: Break, maybe a sprinkle of DP DLC, then at the end of the year, teaser of Gen 9
2023: Gen 9
2024: Gen 9 Sequels (B2W2 style)
2025: Break, and then reveal of a Johto Let's Go remake
2026: Release of Let's Go copies, and then a general celebration

That's how I think the following years will go.

2022: Break, maybe a sprinkle of DP DLC, then at the end of the year, teaser of Gen 9

I think that Gen 9 will come in 2022.

Is the new Gen PR entirely sweet though? Swoosh still sold very well

Incredibly well. They're the fourth best-selling main series games and are on track to overtake Diamond & Pearl as the third. They've outsold every 3DS Pokémon title despite sustaining many of those games' design choices that the more committed fandom have been criticizing for seven years and despite being shadowed by the Dexit controversy. So yeah, regardless of what one thinks of the quality of the games, new generation rollouts are pretty undeniably sweet. The general audience adores the main series and doesn't really seem to need it to do much more than it's doing.

I agree with 2020 to 2023, although I feel like by 2026, a whopping eight years after LGPE, the interest train for Let's Go-style games will have well and truly left the station. Or, at least, for something as banal as a straight-up GSC remake, because by that time, Pokémon GO will most likely be caught up with the main series (assuming that GO maintains its current pace of "starting" a new generation every year - me might see Kalos begin to poke its head up later this year, then Alola in late 2021, and then Galar in late 2022... actually, Galar's regional evolutions are already on their way... interestingly, going by your projection, that would make 2023/Gen 9 the first time that the main series and GO are on the "same page"). I think they would need to do something a little more up-to-date with where GO is at by then, rather than arbitrarily limiting the GO-Let's Go compatibility to only the first 251 Pokémon even though it'll have been almost a decade since LGPE.

Not that a cut-and-dry GSC remake wouldn't sell, of course. But I just think it would feel kind of dated. LGPE were meant in part to bring GO players into the main series, and since SwoShi already implemented a lot of what people liked about Let's Go, it's not a rough transition for them to get into any further "traditional" main series games. Even more so when HOME will also presumably have GO compatibility I'm guessing by the end of this year or next, further reducing the need for any sort of "middleman" series of core games. People who want to send their GO Pokémon to the main series will be readily able to do so, and will be able to send over any species they want, which I feel kind of limits the appeal of another Let's Go-style game.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom