• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M23: Koko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously. At this rate, I won't be surprised if at least half the world gets infected by the Coronavirus before this year is up. If that happens, I also won't be surprised if half of those people die (25% of the world's population; yikes). I hope it doesn't come to that. This virus could very easily wipe out most of the human race. :(

I don't think that the death rate is that high. While the virus itself is serious, it isn't automatically a death sentence either. There have been a lot of people who have recovered from it. It can be dangerous and one reason why people are trying to shelter in place is because of how contagious it is. That's a huge issue because people can pass it along without knowing that they have it and it can spread extremely fast, which can lead to people in the high risk category getting it too.

Unless you live in a country that actively hides infected people, pretends COVID-19 doesn't exist/is just a flu and has a health system that collapsed ages ago, I don't think the death rate will get that high.

...And yes, there's at least one country where that has happened.

I still wouldn't count on the movie being released as scheduled even if movie theaters reopen by then. Not only are you going to have lots of people still hesitant to go, which could seriously hurt revenue, but I don't think they've been able to promote the movie the way they'd like to either with everything going on. I believe we usually know a lot more about the movie than we do right now, which is obviously understandable with everything going on, but they might want more time to be able to advertise the movie.

I know it's a Pokemon film, so they can kind of release it just on that merit alone, but whether they want to or not and if they think it could still have an effect on how well the movie ends up doing is a different story.

To be completely honest I have no interest in this movie so I don't mind if it gets postponed and even canceled even if the latter is extremely unlikely. The recent movies have all sucked as far as I'm concerned so maybe that's affected my negative outlook. By the way why was the thread title changed from Coco to Koko again?

I still wouldn't count on the movie being released as scheduled even if movie theaters reopen by then. Not only are you going to have lots of people still hesitant to go, which could seriously hurt revenue, but I don't think they've been able to promote the movie the way they'd like to either with everything going on. I believe we usually know a lot more about the movie than we do right now, which is obviously understandable with everything going on, but they might want more time to be able to advertise the movie.

I know it's a Pokemon film, so they can kind of release it just on that merit alone, but whether they want to or not and if they think it could still have an effect on how well the movie ends up doing is a different story.

Yeah, people aren't going to be comfortable going to movie theaters for quite awhile. I'm sure that a lot of parents would be worried about going there with their kids too. We definitely have more information about the new movie by now. I think that we usually get some new trailers and maybe a second poster by around April or May. I'm sure that they didn't want to risk spending time and money on promoting a movie that may not end up releasing in July.

To be completely honest I have no interest in this movie so I don't mind if it gets postponed and even canceled even if the latter is extremely unlikely. The recent movies have all sucked as far as I'm concerned so maybe that's affected my negative outlook. By the way why was the thread title changed from Coco to Koko again?

There is no way a movie featuring a brand new Pokemon is going to be canceled. They've already put in a lot of money into developing the movie and they'd want to use it as a means to promote Zarude whenever that becomes available. It's almost certain to be postponed, but I can't really see how or why they'd flat out cancel the movie.

Welp, it’s finally happened.

Not surprised and all considering the scenario but it’s still pretty big knowing this is the first time a Pokémon movie will not see a release in July.
Corona has caused humanity to do many things that have either never been done or have been done very rarely.

I hope the movie's postponement isn't a bad sign for the anime's return. Hopefully everyone has been staying safe and will remain safe.

I don't think that it's necessarily a bad sign for the anime's. I imagine the main reason why the movie has been delayed is just because theaters aren't a safe place right now. They've probably already done the recording and maybe finished the animation, but it doesn't really matter when theaters are going to be closed and/or people are going to be nervous about going to them with their families for the foreseeable future. Plus, it was all but certain that the movie would have to be delayed at this point anyway. I don't know when the anime can return, but they may need to figure out a way to basically do all of the work remotely since Japan might be in a state of emergency for quite some time.

As for the announcement itself, I'm not surprised. We all saw if coming. I was expecting them to wait until either late this month or June to announce it though. It's still sad that there won't be a new Pokemon movie in July. I'm sure a lot of kids would enjoy having some new distraction, but the priority is to keep people safe and they just have to figure out a new date later. I don't know if they'll go the VOD release route, but I suppose that's possible if theaters are closed long enough.

I hope the movie's postponement isn't a bad sign for the anime's return. Hopefully everyone has been staying safe and will remain safe.

I don't think the movie's postponement is indicative of when the anime will return. The big problem with releasing the movie is the possibility of movie theaters still being closed in July, or being open and people being too nervous to go. They're not going to want to release a feature film and lose money on it. The anime is more because of the inability to produce right now...that should return before large gathering places like movie theaters will (when it is safe to do so, of course, though that might still take quite a while.)

The movie being postponed is disappointing, but at this point, I think everyone saw it coming. Ultimately, it's the right choice to make. I'll be curious to see how they handle the eventual release of the movie (whether they just push the date back or decide to go the at home rental route.)

Agh, I really wanted to see if Miguel could return home with his family and the Day of the Dead release was perfect.

I don't think they'll go the On Demand route, as despite not having as high numbers as before the Pokémon movies are still in the highest grossing movies in Japan almost every year, and it would allow westeners to easily pirate the movie. I don't think TPCi is eager to release Zarude early either.

This is tangentially related, but I kinda hope next year's movie takes more advantage of the olympic games. If I were a tourist in Japan waiting for the next event I'd be more interested on a more sporty movie focused on battles than in a random jungle adventure.

July or December what does it matter as long as you can see the movie. We dont know how the situation of the virus is going to evolve (pun lol) so we should limit our expectations for movies and series in general.

What if it gets delayed to July 2021

I don't know if they'll do that. I think that they develop the movies a year in advance, so I would assume that at least some production for next year's movie already started before Japan declared a state of emergency. Waiting until next year to release the movie would throw that production off track and it would potentially make it longer to promote Zarude.

Had to happen.

I wonder if they'll release it later after things have calmed down, or release on home media with the Zarude distribution event at the same time. :unsure:

The movie being delayed doesn't bode well for a June release for the Isle of Armor DLC either, since the movie is the primary source for Zarude promotion and its possible Zaruda would first be distributed via theaters and the movie in Japan to get a code to put it in the game before it reached the west, considering its a mythical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom