• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S23 EP03: Ivysaur's Mysterious Tower!

Yep, Renji is Ren and Kikuna is Chrissa
Something I’ve noticed and appreciated is that even though the characters like Koharu and Go have been given new names for the dub, they’re similar to their Japanese names, either in pronunciation or meaning. A great example is Professor Cerise, whose name is related to flowers like Sakuragi, and Goh, which is literally his Japanese name but with an H at the end. I mean, Renji’s English name is just his Japanese name but without the Ji.

Edit: Who did Tara Sands use to voice on the show?

Chrysa like chrysanthemum. Which is word that i'm pretty sure the dub has used before. Anywho, review time! Yeah I'm just going to keep saying it the dubbing continues to me at least being the most interesting thing about the series so far, doesn't help we've mainly been in Kanto with Galar coming up soon. First Megan Hollingshead and now Tara Jayne Sands, what you're going to tell me that Taylor/Lillis/Stuart might have a chance? Seriously, it's really good how their getting these long-time actors and new ones from LA to work for Pokemon I can't stress this enough! Anyway, TR debuts and now has a Gacha machine.... intrigued slightly though, can only imagine it will get a bit tiresome, Rotomphones instead of Dexes with again really good voices and an Ritual similar to that of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden.... the similarities got to me and for that I enjoyed it. 8.5/10 for me.

Do we know what Scorbunny's English voice sounds like? I haven't seen this dubbed episode and I was curious if there was a preview of episode 4 at the end that had Scorbunny in it. One thing I'm dying to know from this anime is hearing what these starter Pokemon's voices sound like.

Do we know what Scorbunny's English voice sounds like? I haven't seen this dubbed episode and I was curious if there was a preview of episode 4 at the end that had Scorbunny in it. One thing I'm dying to know from this anime is hearing what these starter Pokemon's voices sound like.
The dub doesn’t do next episode previews. We’ll find out what Scorbunny sounds like when POP airs Episode 4.

Best part about the dub episode:
The fact Gou’s Rotom phone isn’t a overacting screechy mess.

Well, James Carter Cathcart's Meowth already has that role covered, so... :censored:

The one clip I saw of Goh's Rotom phone was just kind of...boring? I do hope the various Rotom phones' distinct personalities get retained in the dub moving forward.

Last edited:
What was the English dub name for the Rocket Gachat? It was "Secret Rocket (something) Master".
It's called a prize master though not too sure.

Seen the episode and for the music I'm surprised that they use Ash's theme (tentative title) and Hayashi's rendition of the Pokemon theme as well as the new TRio theme.

So I watched a clip of the Rocket battle and the thing that stuck out to me, other than the dumb visual edits, was how not good Jessie sounded in this. Like, she was fine in Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, but in this episode she's way too high pitched and screechy. Was she like this in Sun & Moon? My memory of the TPCI dub is that Michelle Knotz is usually much, much better than this so I hope this was just a fluke or something.

Last edited:
Watched yesterday. Goldfarb is going hard in the booth again. Lovely. [/s] Tara Jayne is back, which is nice. I always love role reprisals. The main Ivysaur in this episode has a different voice from XY/SSBU, but can be heard at the end. Jessie sounded a little bit more annoying than usual. That's about it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom