• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

See, I agree with this in principle, but at the same time, I don't actually want everyone to be deprived of their favorite Pokémon for indeterminate swaths of time, and broadly speaking, I suspect that more Pokémon fans overall are perfectly reasonable people who just want to use certain Pokémon that they like, with the toxic fandom being a minority. I do think Game Freak should add (and indeed, seem to be adding) the remaining Pokémon back into the games, but it should be for the sake of the non-toxic fans. Unfortunately, there's no way to distinguish between who something like that is being done "for," so doing what I think is the right thing will inevitably look like Game Freak "giving in" to the overly aggressive side. But it's either that, or GF refuse to add the old Pokémon in order to avoid "giving in," but what that would mean is that the rest of the people who just want their Pokémon included and aren't being horrible have to suffer because of idiots who couldn't control themselves, which isn't fair.

At any rate, surely the fact that they are adding more old Pokémon in sort of vindicates GF's reasoning for not having them all available at launch? By which I mean, it does indeed appear to be a time management issue, where whatever they're doing to the models requires extra work. (And they are doing something to them, because hackers have tried porting over models from Let's Go, and it turned out that they were only sort-of functional and missing several animations which is of course what Masuda said was the reason for the cut back at E3, and it is already an observable fact that several Pokémon have new battle intro animations. (Though I'm not aware of any hacker who has tried porting over the models from the 3DS games which every armchair developer from here to mom's house has claimed should be an easy-peasy thing to do.) Although why GF couldn't have just said from the start that they would work on patching the rest in later is beyond me - I don't think people would have been nearly as outraged if they'd known that the remaining Pokémon wouldn't be hung out to dry indefinitely.)
I'd assume that the expansion pass was in pre production at that point so they would have known about it (unless the expansion pass wasn't started until after Dexit).

All it would have taken is Game Freak saying that there are plans to add Pokemon post launch and be vague about and the controversy would've died there

The Pokemon fanbase was bad pre-dexit as well. Quite a few Pokemon fanboys weren't very kind to Yokai Watch franchise when those games first came out among over things. The Dexit incident was when the Pokemon fanbase first had to deal with how bad it could be
May I remind you about the whole "Digimon is copying Pokémon" before people recognized they were completely different things? Sure, Pokémon has it's copycats (Devil Children, that one Animorphs game...), but people keep forgetting/don't know that monster catching games started with Megami Tensei, not Pokémon.

Yo Kai Watch is great. Its barely the same as Pokemon, so please, can anyone comparisons step off.
It's more similar to SMT in my opinion, although the gacha elements, not being able to choose attacks, the palette swaps and the bad Spanish translation (thanks, Disney XD...) kinda make it harder to enjoy for me. Might give it another chance later.

EDIT: I also hate Hovernyan because he almost gave me a heart attack in the midde of the night while playing the demo (I didn't expect the "I AM HOVERNYAN!" soundbyte to play there).

All it would have taken is Game Freak saying that there are plans to add Pokemon post launch and be vague about and the controversy would've died there
I wouldn't count on that...

Last edited:
Tbf when entering a big fandom ,in REDDIT the best place where you can talk with other fans of any franchise in the history of pop culture, you have to expect that you can't expect each and everyone's reaction.
if the world was one house with like 3 dudes in it, what are the odds of one of them becoming a murderer, but the world is bigger and thanks to reddit, everyone is in one house, including the murderers (or toxic fans because the pokemon fandom is bid enough but I'm stuck with the analogy, and it explains why smaller website like this one are way less toxic), so the only solution is for GF to not do dexit, because toxic fans are there to scream over logical constructive critisism no matter what we do ,but now gamefreak has to find a solution, which seems to be SwSh dex+IoA dex+CT dex+Sinnoh remakes dex=all pokemon, if they complete the dex this gen, use the same models and animations for the next which is apparently relatively easy and is also against making it a "policy", then nintendo releases the next console ,as Esserise pointed out ,odds are we'll be facing the same problem again. From their perspective they are giving us more games by yearly releases And more importantly it gives them money, but also giving us all pokemon in a single gen ,but from our side we're not getting our teams in one game and our wallet are getting empty (and GF should stop trying to compete with nintendo for yearly releases,looking at you LoZ).
Many people already thought of all of this, but how many of them will actually be heard by GF? They only hear the sound of the east of Asia and the toxic moaning of the rest of the world, and that's the endless loop that will make toxic fans rage more, GF screw up more, and we'll be the ultimate losers.

Many people already thought of all of this, but how many of them will actually be heard by GF? They only hear the sound of the east of Asia and the toxic moaning of the rest of the world, and that's the endless loop that will make toxic fans rage more, GF screw up more, and we'll be the ultimate losers.
Reminds of what happened when they gave Cammy a western-like face in Street Fighter V (Japanese fans didn't take it well), and what happened when they gave her a more animesque face in one alt costume (Western fans didn't like that). Or the flame wars that happened with that one "Warriors" poll (which was a Japan vs West debacle). There are things where you just cannot win.

The fanbase is so huge, covering millions of people from more than a hundred countries and consists of all age-groups.

What do people expect; Only reason on the internet? Toxic behaviour is a given. Doesn't help that Gamefreak has no community-management whatsoever. That's basically the crowd-control of online fanbases.

And I'm sorry, but THE fanbase doesn't exist. The game sold as many copies as there are people living in my country.

-----------------------------------------------

Anyway, beside the National Dex issue, I'm still of the opinion that the basegame is quite 'lacking' for such an experienced franchise. And I hope that point comes across somewhere in Gamefreak's offices. It's just a shame that we never hear anything from them (aka community-management). Things like 'We got you fam', 'We appreciate the feedback and will look at things differently in the future', etc.
Back when The Yokai Watch series first came out in Japan, it was a major deal. The first game sold over 1 million copies alone in Japan and second sets of games sold over 3.1 million copies. This in top of a whole bunch of merchandise being sold. The series has since declined in sales, but it was a big sucess at one point

May I remind you about the whole "Digimon is copying Pokémon" before people recognized they were completely different things? Sure, Pokémon has it's copycats (Devil Children, that one Animorphs game...), but people keep forgetting/don't know that monster catching games started with Megami Tensei, not Pokémon.

It's more similar to SMT in my opinion, although the gacha elements, not being able to choose attacks, the palette swaps and the bad Spanish translation (thanks, Disney XD...) kinda make it harder to enjoy for me. Might give it another chance later.

EDIT: I also hate Hovernyan because he almost gave me a heart attack in the midde of the night while playing the demo (I didn't expect the "I AM HOVERNYAN!" soundbyte to play there).

I wouldn't count on that...

I brought up Yokai Watch since it was the most recent example

Well, that's a problem with every single game that has a competitive mode. I saw someone giving a bad review to Street Fighter V once because the specials were easier to pull off compared to past games. I don't know, but I prefer that over doing an inverted Δ motion.
I said the wrong thing, actually. What I meant was casual v. Hardcore, which was a pretty big issue in the gen 8 leaks thread back before SwSh was announced. Arceus, that feels like so long ago.

I said the wrong thing, actually. What I meant was casual v. Hardcore, which was a pretty big issue in the gen 8 leaks thread back before SwSh was announced. Arceus, that feels like so long ago.
It still applies to the Street Fighter example, though. Let's just say that Ono felt the same way as Sakurai with Melee after doing Street Fighter III.

Reminds of what happened when they gave Cammy a western-like face in Street Fighter V (Japanese fans didn't take it well), and what happened when they gave her a more animesque face in one alt costume (Western fans didn't like that). Or the flame wars that happened with that one "Warriors" poll (which was a Japan vs West debacle). There are things where you just cannot win.
In the Dexit situation, there were a decent number of people in Japan on Twitter who weren't happy about the Pokemon getting cut either (also since Japan was never actually directly told of the Pokemon being cut outside of a Famitsu article). In this case it feels like it is fans vs. corporate interests. There were situations where fans could have won, but the games' profit margins would probably be lower.

Ya. Let's stop for now. That's what I'm gonna try and do right now. I wish I could let my concerns go about the whole situation and the Pokemon franchise.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom