• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What do you NOT miss about the older games?

Personally I don’t miss being unable to sit down on a bench. What a horrific existence of perpetual standing we lived in until gen 6.

Sadly though, Gen 6 was the peak of sitting. Gen 7 took it out altogether for... some reason, and even though it's back now, sitting there is the only thing you can do, whereas in Gen 6 you could access your menus, talk to other NPCs on the bench, and even save your game there, usually with a fun little change in the camera angle. Now it is literally a feature within the game that allows you to not play the game in any capacity. :bulbaFacepalm:

Some other things came to mind.

As others have said, the limited bag space was a huge bane, thus forcing you to deposit items into the PC, making it really annoying. Gen 4 really did a good thing in that regard by making the bag virtually unlimited, which is something I'm glad came to be.

Another thing is that I'm glad is gone is manually sorting items in the bag. My replay of Platinum reminded me of how tedious that is. Gen 5 giving us the ability to auto-sort was a huge boon, as it made the unlimited bag space even more useful. Now, all you need is to push a button, sort the items however you want, and boom, you have a completely organized bag. That said, B2W2 ended up doing away with the TMs being automatically sorted upon obtaining them, as you now have to sort them yourself with the auto-sorting function, which I felt was bit of a back step. However, with the addition of TRs in Gen 8, it makes a bit more sense now, as the number of teachable moves has at least doubled (with more coming in the DLC), so having the ability to sort them into more convenient ways is helpful. Still, I'm a bit disappointed that B2W2 got rid of that function, since BW had it, but if TRs become a mainstay, then I guess I can live with it if it makes sorting them AND TMs easier.

Also, as others have said, needing to manually change the PC boxes whenever they're full so you can catch more Mons was a huge pain in the chassis. Gen 1 and 2 were terrible in that regard, especially Gen 1 due to the Safari Zone being a thing (which in itself is also a major headache), so the fact that later Gens actually did away with that was a blessing, making it so much easier to "catch 'em all", so to speak.

Hopefully the Rotom Bike will be gone for good in the next pair of games and you'll actually have to ride your Pokemon across the water, with some having higher speed than the others, for example, Azumarill and Quagsire being slower surfers than the likes of Barraskewda and Floatzel, athough even the former two should be as fast as your running speed.

I doubt this ever happens honestly, since it forces the player to use a certain type if they don't want that.

HMs: Duh
Not having good hazard removal: The addition of Defog's secondary effect and the Rapid Spin buff were much needed.
Arbitrary barriers to in-game competitive battling: There are still issues with this but it's gotten a lot better.
The Safari Zone: This was just RNG, even if HGSS's had some good ideas.
The Game Corner: Same.
Issues with Prankster and Swagger: This desperately needed to be nerfed.

Also, as others have said, needing to manually change the PC boxes whenever they're full so you can catch more Mons was a huge pain in the chassis. Gen 1 and 2 were terrible in that regard, especially Gen 1 due to the Safari Zone being a thing (which in itself is also a major headache), so the fact that later Gens actually did away with that was a blessing, making it so much easier to "catch 'em all", so to speak.
Agreed, this is something I do not miss. Also the PC interface in gens 1 and 2 was horrible.

But in their defense, this was all due to a hardware limitation. What they did was actually pretty clever. Otherwise you'd hardly be able to keep any Pokémon in storage. (The Game Boy could only access 8kB of save RAM at a time, which isn't enough space to hold all the boxes (12 boxes alone would take more than 13kB, and that doesn't even include any of the other important variables that the game needs to keep track of). So the game instead keeps only a single box in accessible memory. When the player uses the PC, the game switches between memory banks, allowing the other boxes to be accessed. But doing this causes other data to become inaccessible, so this can only really be done at times when the game doesn't need to access the other data (such as when the player is switching boxes)... the memory bank then needs to be switched back after the box has been switched.)

The level curve in GSC/HGSS. That was ridiculous and it made completing the game so much more difficult.

Also having to actually grind for levels. I don't have a huge issue with it, but sometimes, it was just monotonous and boring. I have a love/hate relationship with the new EXP Share in the newer games, but at least the grind isn't nearly as difficult.

The 1/256 glitch in Gen 1. Any move can miss except for Swift, it's horrible. And like others have said having to change the boxes and save every time in Gen 1 and 2 can be annoying.

That hiker from that ferris wheel in Pokemon Black and White. If I was Hilbet's mom, I would just hit the guy.

i’ve seen a lot of people complaining about grinding in gen iv, but i honestly cannot relate...i beat everyone, including the champions, with a horrendously underleveled team. it was a challenge, but i loved that. i battled every trainer (i’m a completionist lol), and the only times i had to grind were when i was trying to get newer members to catch up level wise. heck, i had to do that even in LGPE. i guess i just had good teams?

also, wasn’t the level curve in johto the way it was because you went to kanto afterward? (i actually liked the curve lol)

anyway, stuff i don’t miss:
• navigating the box before b2w2
• having to hold b to run
• xy/oras’s trainer models
• everything about gen 1
• one-use TMs
• cut and rock smash as HMs
• often having to use surf and waterfall on the same water-type pokémon :/

Did someone mention Mindy?

Heck you Mindy.

MEME.jpg

-Having the Master Ball fail.
-One and done TMs.
-Cut. Just Cut.
-Roaming Legendaries.
-Manually switching PC boxes.
-Having no option to play as a girl in Kanto.
-Diamond and Pearl being. So. Painfully. Slow!!
-The inability to breed in Red/Blue/Yellow.
-The Safari Zone. All of my hate to that place. All of it!

Another thing I don't miss in the slightest bit is Toxic as a TM. Seriously, I'm glad that it's now much more selective, with only a handful of Mons being able to get it instead of virtually every Mon and their grandmons having access to it. Especially ones like Chansey and other stall-type Mons. Now with it no longer so wide-spread battles with other players is more bearable, since they can't Toxic stall you to death. I never liked the move to begin with and I'm glad it got its TM (and by extension TR) status revoked. About time that move got nerfed.

- The snowy route from Mt. Coronet leading up to Snowpoint City. You are forced to walk slowly and the overworld blizzard can get bad enough that you don't know where you are.

- Needing to fill up dex sightings to get the national dex. Being forced to backtrack to a seriously complicated or slow route/dungeon to find that one particular trainer who has that one last pokemon that doesn't appear in the wild.

- Single-use TMs.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom