• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Sword & Shield: Expansion Pass

And I dont know why the Kanto Birds must get Galarian forms. That is right, more Kanto pokemon getting a Galarian Forme.

I wont bet my soul for 62 cents, I think I can get more, but why do only Kanto pokemon (except Zizagoon still odd) get a special Aloloan or Galarian Forme?

Zigzagoon isn't the only non-Kanto Pokémon to get a regional variant. There's also Corsola, Darumaka/Darmanitan, Yamask, and Stunfisk.

As for Kanto Pokémon being given these treatments so frequently, nostalgia and popularity are obviously a factor in the decision-making process, but artistically, I think a lot of Gen 1 Pokémon are also just more conceptually neutral and lend themselves well to being reimagined. Like, the Legendary birds for instance - they have virtually no lore to speak of, and their designs are all relatively simple and low on detail. An ice bird, an electric bird, and a fire bird. It's a cleaner creative slate. For another example, Ponyta is a generic horse creature with some fire added. It's easy enough to take the fire away and rework it into a magical unicorn, whereas Mudbray is a ground elemental donkey that evolves into a very specific kind of horse, a clydesdale. Diglett is as simple as a design gets, whereas Drilbur is based on a specific species of mole and also has a drilling theme. Muk has a very plain design that you can add things to, whereas Garbodor is considerably more detailed and elaborate by default. And so on.

And idk why Kubfu is seen as Legendary.

Because "Legendary" (as well as "Mythical") is pretty much just a promotional term with no firmly established in-universe meaning beyond "Um, rare and usually involved in local lore I guess???"

Are you sure about Slowking?

In addition to the photographic evidence above, the official site has explicitly mentioned it:

> Galarian Slowpoke can evolve into Galarian Slowbro if you use an item that can be found on The Isle of Armor. It can also evolve into Galarian Slowking if you use an item that can be found in The Crown Tundra.

Last edited:
I keep wondering if the old legendaries obtainable in the Crown Tundra actually contribute to the 100 returning Pokémon for the dex there, or if they're an 'extra'.

I keep wondering if the old legendaries obtainable in the Crown Tundra actually contribute to the 100 returning Pokémon for the dex there, or if they're an 'extra'.
I would say the former, since when they said 100+ Pokemon in each pass, they didn't call any exceptions to the number.

I would say the former, since when they said 100+ Pokemon in each pass, they didn't call any exceptions to the number.
Of course, but 46 legendaries (-10 or so for those already in the code) is a lot, that's why my optimistic side thinks we'll get a tad bit more in the Crown Tundra (130 or something), because of all those Raid Den legendaries.

It's still 100+.

Seeing Galarian Slowking's clothing/cloak again after some of the move names have come out, it is hard not to wonder if it is going to be like the figure skating partner, thematically or maybe literally that is their behavior together: of a potential Galarian evolution for Jynx that was speculated about many pages ago? :) :)

Of course, but 46 legendaries (-10 or so for those already in the code) is a lot, that's why my optimistic side thinks we'll get a tad bit more in the Crown Tundra (130 or something), because of all those Raid Den legendaries.

It's still 100+.

Well in the first Direct they say this:

"There will be more than 200 Pokémon species that appear in these areas and you can add to your team, including the Legendary Pokémon mentioned before."

I'm not actually sure where it was specified that each half of the expansion would reintroduce an equal amount of Pokémon (that is, circa 100 each), but in any case, the Legendary Pokémon are absolutely going to be considered part of the overall 200+ that they say are being readded. Realistically, I don't see much of a reason to suspect they might be a "bonus" - the only dubious element to my mind is the 35 old Pokémon which already exist in the base games' code.

It was very disappointing waking up to see a recap and a very simple regional variant. Things got sightly better with the webpage stuff, but I really don't get this franchise's marketing anymore.

• As many said above, Zapdos looks great in motion. Articuno looks very majestic, and Regidrake's roundness is cute. I'm not a fan of Blastoise showing it's full back. The others look exactly as expected.
  • It's cool that the birds' signature moves reference their original types.
  • Cram-o-matic is...okay. I don't think any item on the game is hard to obtain so I'm confused by its inclusion. This will probably be the way we get the Apricorn balls.
  • Max Soup is great, but if it means we'll never get to raid Melmetal and it will always be a Go exclusive...I'll be sightly upset. The web page does use words such as "some Pokémon" and "may be" so I have hope that it will affect everyone but the Nut.
  • Everything points to legendary dens being randomized...I'm not surprised.
  • The Star Tournament also sounds weird. If it's indeed part of the story then I don't have much hopes for its difficulty as they'll have to accommodate new players.
  • The returning Pokémon also give me mixed opinions. Most of them were available in Alola, so I don't have much hope of seeing underrated ones like Teddiursa and Phanpy. Also, there are five trade evolutions that I'm not looking forward to raid with a 0,0001% chance of appearing, guess I'll just find them online.
  • The starters being exclusive to Scam™ is disappointing, Game Freak must have Samsung shares because it still doesn't make sense that Mystery Gift is mobile exclusive. At least people will breed them and give some through Wonder Trade so we could get one that way.
Well in the first Direct they say this:

"There will be more than 200 Pokémon species that appear in these areas and you can add to your team, including the Legendary Pokémon mentioned before."

I'm not actually sure where it was specified that each half of the expansion would reintroduce an equal amount of Pokémon (that is, circa 100 each), but in any case, the Legendary Pokémon are absolutely going to be considered part of the overall 200+ that they say are being readded. Realistically, I don't see much of a reason to suspect they might be a "bonus" - the only dubious element to my mind is the 35 old Pokémon which already exist in the base games' code.

USUM had a similar marketing line, "Around 400 Pokémon including these legendaries" but we know legendaries were not a part of that. Even in Dexit times it's hard to predict that this time they're saying it for real.

Eh, I'm feeling like the content will be disappointing as always. They're putting a lot of focus on the new Pokemon and forms, and there's not a lot of sidequests or extra features being covered, that doesn't bode well as far as these expansions extending the replay value. It sounds like the DLC is basically just going to be 2 extra Wild Areas and little else. I mean the open areas are fun for like, an hour, then it just devolves into a tedious grind of Max Raid battles. And really, a Battle Tree clone in Wyndon Stadium? That's your big idea for a "new" battle facility?

We sorely need better sidequests again. Things like Contests, Secret Bases, Join Avenue, some kind of fun diversion that has some kind of actual goal you can work towards. And we need battle facilities that actually have unique mechanics and rules, not just generic Battle Tower types of places. Those kinds of activities coming back would go a long way towards quieting the cries of "NO CONTENT!" towards the recent games.

Also, was it specified whether or not Max Soup permanently allows eligible Pokemon to Gigantamax or do you have to get one every battle you want it to Gigantamax? If it's the latter, that's going to be really annoying.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, The Galar Star Tournament is kind of a letdown. After being a champion, we get to train more in the Isle of Armor with 2 (Klara and Avery) aspiring Galar gym leaders. I was hoping that we'll finally get a Pokemon World Championship just like in Black2 and White2 because that's the logical step up after Pokemon League if Battle Frontier is non-existent. They already implemented a Tournament format instead of facing an Elite Four, so might as well include trainers, gym leaders, and elite four from past games in the mix?
The roster for Galar Star Tournament is getting repetitive. At least we get Red, Blue, Cynthia, Wally, Grimsley, and Annabelle for Battle Tree during the Sun and Moon Era.

Another thing is that the Ultra Beasts are nowhere to be found.

The Galar tournament thing should have been in the original Sword and Shield. I dont even see it as an expansion. Is it me or is all the exciting stuff in the Crown? Idk if the IOA will keep me busy so long

I am curious as to what the, uh, point of the Galarian Star Tournament will be. What we learned of it today was incredibly mundane (it's just a Multi Battle option???), so like, what will the reward be that makes it worth doing? And still, what's with the sponsorship-covered uniform?

Skarmory confirmed for the Isle of Armor in a Japanese tv-ad.
maybe will get Galarian evolution and new ability?

we got a physic type move that freezes the oponent thats cool.

that new poison type physical shel move reminds me of poison jab too much... maybe it will be stronger? or better effect?

Galarian Slowbro could have got a other name...
hope Galarian Slowking will be "Slowemperor", they should not use names of the Kanto pokemon on it I think.

Galarian Slowbro should be called Slowglove, Slowlance, Slowcanon, Slowgun bc they arent slowbro or slowking stats, type and ability wise anymore. I would treat them like Runerigus was.... maybe they could do that before games realese?

names for the new bird trio taking their typings:

Zapdos -> Combatos
Moltres -> Amateres
Arcticuno -> Psychicuno

Last edited:
Galarian Articuno is Robocop?
Obviously it’s based on Angry Birds Space
1591165933951.jpeg

they could have made trailers longer and give us some info on abilities and moves that they show...
3 new abilities at least that they could have reavealed... when already got names...

feel that there is more hidden galar forms and things that we will get here

Interesting if the old pokemon coming back get new galar evolutions like Rockruff

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom