• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a done deal, Biden has secured a majority of delegates to official clinch the nomination. I thought for sure Trump would say/tweet something about it, but apparently he’s fixated on my favorite NFL team’s quarterback for some reason.

I just hope that if Joe Biden can win, he'll pick a cabinet of people who are fully qualified to be in the positions they're in. Nobody like Betsy Devos who doesn't understand the public education system.

With picks like Betsy DeVos it really feels as if Trump was actively seeking out to destroy what the cabinet positions were set out to watch over/improve.

With Biden, I'd be less worried. I don't think he has any such intentions, and plus I have a feeling he'd have more level-headed individuals in his transition team to help pick out competent, appropriate people for each cabinet position.

Seeing Biden polling much better than Trump in Michigan is good, but he's gonna need more than Michigan.

If Joe Biden won all states Hillary won in 2016, including Michigan, he'd only have 243 electoral votes, while Trump would have 288. He's gonna have to pick up a major swing state like Florida along with it, or pick up wins in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. Most states such as California, New York. Nevada, Washington, Virginia, and such will likely stay blue, though I really hope he focuses on taking back those swing states like Ohio, Michigan, Florida, and Pennsylvania.

States rarely move independently. If Biden’s way ahead in Michigan, he’s likely ahead in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and possibly Ohio. That would be more than enough to get him over the top.

If Donald Trump gets re-elected and dies in office, Mike Pence becomes President.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

I remember folks using this argument years ago when the Trump presidency was still in its infancy, and I really don't get why people think Pence is worse than Trump? Like I get that Pence is homophobic, but I think that if I had to choose between him or Trump I'd still go with Pence 9 times out of 10 just because he doesn't strike me as unstable or narcissistic the way Trump does. I dunno, that's just my take on things.

Conservatives are having a really bad week at the Supreme Court.
I remember folks using this argument years ago when the Trump presidency was still in its infancy, and I really don't get why people think Pence is worse than Trump? Like I get that Pence is homophobic, but I think that if I had to choose between him or Trump I'd still go with Pence 9 times out of 10 just because he doesn't strike me as unstable or narcissistic the way Trump does. I dunno, that's just my take on things.
It’s not just Pence’s homophobia. Policy-wise, he’s even more extreme than Trump AND he’s also smart and disciplined enough that he’d probably be able to get significant parts of his agenda passed. There’s a reason the Christian Right fell in line behind Trump once he selected Pence as his running mate.

Last edited:
Pence is really just a more extreme, hate filled version of Trump who doesn't behave like a child whenever he's criticized or can't get his way. There's something unsettling about a hardcore evangelical Christian in the White House. The most hardcore Christians who take the Bible literally and treat it like everything it says is law. Give Pence the office, and a conservative majority in the court and there's no telling what damage he could do. Its a scary thought. More scary than Trump because Pence is actually competent.

How about this for start

Pence and Trump are representative of two extremist right branches in the US. Pence feels more alluring because he wouldn't be as loud mouthed as Trump and would know what to say and not to say at times... But that's not necessarily good, for Pence is extremely harmful in of himself. He just represents the old-fashioned style Republican that is very hateful and supports all kinds of discrimination but does it behind a decently composed man in a suit facade that is able to appeal to Republicans and other people who want "normalcy".

Conservatives are having a really bad week at the Supreme Court.

Gotta love that even the man in the Supreme Court seat that Trump/the GOP stole from President Obama and of whom the GOP planted isn't always siding with them.

It was a very nice change of pace, and really nice to see discrimination against LGBT people in the workplace made illegal in the entire USA.

The one problem with this is that the Republican base is mobilized by the Supreme Court, and now Trump has an argument to make with the base that the Court doesn't have enough Republican seats. In fact, he already did this on Twitter earlier today.

Leftists don't seem to understand the importance of the Supreme Court enough, which is a big problem. I feel like we got lucky with the last two cases. But say it does hold, but Trump gets elected again... The Supreme Court will be stacked even further and we won't be able to be so lucky anymore.

We should be mobilized by the Supreme Court just as much as Republicans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom