• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally any "pattern" in the series outside of the most basic aspects of the game are based on conjecture and just used to suit peoples' side of an argument.

Yeah I was going to say, there's probably not some instructive mandate on the Game Freak company wall insisting on a perpetual cycle of New Gen + Remake, New Gen + Revisit. It's just that the naturally cadences of time have lent well to that sequence continuing to flow in that way. But obviously Let's Go breaks the mold, and they've changed the "Revisit" track to DLC for this generation at least, and we have yet to see how that works out sales-wise in comparison to standalone releases like Platinum and B2W2.

I think it's far more likely that they just assess how they want to proceed with things while they're developing the next generation game (which is the most major thing that they're constantly working on). Asking if now's a good time to remake x game or if they think they'd be better off just polishing up the initial release. So like in Gen 6, ORAS took priority over Z because Z was predictable while ORAS was popular, and I guess they only had time for one, with a few of the Z ideas getting folded over into SM. In Gen 7, maybe it was easier to just touch up on Alola than it would have been to recreate all the DP assets, since they were codeveloping Let's Go and SWSH at the same time. I mean, I feel that USUM really are remarkably unambitious, even by the relatively low standard of an upgraded rerelease as opposed to something more fleshed-out like B2W2. I'm not a developer myself, but I simply can't imagine that the effort it took to put USUM together even approaches what it would have taken to do a DP remake in that year, and then the remake that we did get, while experimental (and while I did enjoy), well, I think speaks for itself: A tile-for-tile recreation of the most barebones games in the series that still manages to occasionally lag on the Switch.

Anyway, every time fans identify a "pattern," GF just end up breaking it soon after. You can just ask then Gen 8 Eeveelut-- oh.

Last edited:
Possible titles for next remakes after Gen IV remakes in the future

Gen V: Black 3 and White 3
Gen VI: XZ and YZ
Gen VII: Bright Sun and Bright Moon
Gen VIII: Shiny Sword and Shiny Shield

X and Y would really benefit from a remake, but I'm not sure Sun and Moon need remakes. Ditto for Sword and Shield.

Also, how would they remake Gen 5 anyways? I think it might make more sense for Black and White to get the USUM treatment here.

Yeah I was going to say, there's probably not some instructive mandate on the Game Freak company wall insisting on a perpetual cycle of New Gen + Remake, New Gen + Revisit. It's just that the naturally cadences of time have lent well to that sequence continuing to flow in that way. But obviously Let's Go breaks the mold, and they've changed the "Revisit" track to DLC for this generation at least, and we have yet to see how that works out sales-wise in comparison to standalone releases like Platinum and B2W2.

Well, in my opion, the "revisit" concept, with the exception of the fifth generation, has always been a blatant "cash grab" concept. From this perspective, i prefer a dlc. Independently, what counts for a company are sales.

In relation to Remakes, the sales are "good", just below the sales of a new generation. On the other side, Let's go sold significantly less. Therefore, I do not believe that the remake will be passed over in benefit to a new Let's go.

12 million is not bad and was higher than other remakes.

Yeah, you are right. Dummy, i thought that the sales were 9 millions. Regardless, it was not higher than other remakes (FRLG/HS/ORAS), but by a very little margin. Still, when let's go came out, the switch had not yet consolidated itself as a console.

Last edited:
Well, in my opion, the "revisit" concept, with the exception of the fifth generation, has always been a blatant "cash grab" concept. From this perspective, i prefer a dlc. Independently, what counts for a company are sales.

In relation to Remakes, the sales are "good", just below the sales of a new generation. On the other side, Let's go sold significantly less. Therefore, I do not believe that the remake will be passed over in benefit to a new Let's go.

Let's Go only sold 3 million fewer copies than ORAS. That's still very good, especially in the context of them being released for the Switch, which had only been out for a year, in comparison to ORAS, which were released for the by-then three-year-old 3DS system with a firmer install base.

I don't think traditional remakes will be "passed over" in favor of Let's Go, but I do think more Let's Go games are coming, and coming before said traditional remakes, which I suspect require more dev time as well anyway.

Let's Go only sold 3 million fewer copies than ORAS. That's still very good, especially in the context of them being released for the Switch, which had only been out for a year, in comparison to ORAS, which were released for the by-then three-year-old 3DS system with a firmer install base.

I don't think traditional remakes will be "passed over" in favor of Let's Go, but I do think more Let's Go games are coming, and coming before said traditional remakes, which I suspect require more dev time as well anyway.

Yeah, i stated it above.

I think I'll have to pray that the next let's go doesn't sell very well.
:notworthy:

3 Million sales difference can actually be quite a lot and mean much for a company, though.

I do agree with the rest of your point, though. I'm not a fan of Let's Go myself, at all, but it will probably stay.

3 Million sales difference can actually be quite a lot and mean much for a company, though.

I do agree with the rest of your point, though. I'm not a fan of Let's Go myself, at all, but it will probably stay.

Personally, I don't like how LGPE was either and I'm not going to watch this week cause I expect Let's Go Johto and I don't want that disappointment, but I think the games could be a lot better with some changes but now whether they'd do that is another story, sadly. (Cause the things they do or don't have is what makes them different from the mainline games.)

It certainly can, but this is Pokémon. If anyone was seriously bummed about Let's Go not overtaking ORAS (But would they really have expected it to? They would have known it was an unusual and relatively experimental title for a console that had only been out for a year, and would certainly have factored those points into their calculations), I think their feelings would almost certainly have been assuaged by Sword and Shield coming around the next year and getting on-track to become the third best-selling Pokémon games ever.

The Pokémon IP is in exceptional shape, and can probably incur some damages (if they even consider those particular numbers to be "damages") for a good bit before executives start to sweat.

It certainly can, but this is Pokémon. If anyone was seriously bummed about Let's Go not overtaking ORAS (But would they really have expected it to? They would have known it was an unusual and relatively experimental title for a console that had only been out for a year, and would certainly have factored those points into their calculations), I think their feelings would almost certainly have been assuaged by Sword and Shield coming around the next year and getting on-track to become the third best-selling Pokémon games ever.
Third? They beat Diamond and Pearl???

The Pokémon IP is in exceptional shape, and can probably incur some damages (if they even consider those particular numbers to be "damages") for a good bit before executives start to sweat.

In parts, i agree with you. However, i believe, that the fact the Nintendo only has one console, hybrid, de facto, in this generation helps bum up the sales. Besides, Pokemon, main series game, looks, for the first time in history, an AA title !?

"On-track to becoming." They're very close - DP sit at 17.67m, SWSH at 17.37m and I wouldn't think they're done selling yet.

As a Galar fanboy this pleases me greatly.
Any idea how DLC sales figures work out? Are they counted to the SwSh total, or counted as a separate game as ORAS would be etc?

I think they would be counted separately.

Even better news if true. Means it was the base SwSh that outsold all the rest etc.

In terms of Gen 4 remakes, I definitely think they are on their way, but am more convinced it wont be until 2021 (possibly April though)

LGPE were remakes of Yellow and released on the 20th anniversary of yellow 1998 - 2018.
LG2J will therefore likely be remakes of Crystal and could release on its 20th anniversary 2000 - 2020
Then DPRemakes in 2021 would be the 15th anniversary of their original DP release, which is actually a lot later than other mainline remakes. FLRG being 8 years after RB, HGSS 10 years after GS, and ORAS 12 years after RS. 2020 is the 14th anniversary of DP, but guess they could put it back a year (5 months) to April for the 15th anniversary

If this article is accurate and anything to go by, we may very well not be getting an announcement about that mobile game they - were?- working on with Tencent. And in the article, they refer to DeNA as their "mobile development partner". Even though there are two different games by Tencent listed on the two different graphs in the article, there isn't even a passing mention of any mobile game that was being worked on in partnership with Tencent.

So the announcement on Wed could go many different ways.

It could be a teaser announcement about Sinnoh remakes, or a new Let's Go.
It could -maybe?- be Explorers of the Sky. I know there are a lot of Pokefolks who would like to see that remade since they remade the rescue game.
Or it could be something completely out of left field that we aren't expecting that may, or may not, be game related. And we'll all be sitting there going - uh....what?

Direct link to the article: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Edited: I have no idea why this link says "Are you a Robot". The article title is "Nintendo Chills Mobile Ambitions After Animal Crossing Success".

Attachments

• Nintendo Mobile.JPG
    Nintendo Mobile.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom