• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What is your opinion on Pokemon Journeys Team Rocket?

Rocket Messiah

May his love free him from the path of hate.
Reaction score
Well I think this deserves a thread of his own.

How do you feel about the new Mechanic of Team Rocket having a glorified rental Pokémon machine?

Do you think is better for them this way?

In my opinion Team Rocket is treated really poorly in this series. Even tough they had two nice episodes the relationship and bond with their Pokemon is what made Team Rocket so appreciated during all those years. Something is wrong with them and it's worse than Best Wishes

Also it feels really lazy when they have only one motto animation when In Sinnoh they had nice animations each episodes. However this changed in Episode N and onwards.

What do you think about it?

PD:I know that I said in the Sobble episode discusion that I will take a break of this forums. I will not post anything in other of the anime forum threads for some time. However this question has me intrigued and I would like to discuss it with Team Rocket fans, Team Rocket detractors and just Pokemon Anime fans.

They do need at least one extra Pokémon companion (maybe two).

At this point I don't really care which Pokémon. Since TRio is having their homebase in Kanto, Growlie can visit TRio sometimes, or when TRio is travelling to another region they can pick up another old Pokémon like Chimecho, but they have to have someone. Just like Wobbufet it can be a mostly non-battling Pokémon, but someone. Because a lot of good moments with TRio in the past was about the relationship between all of them, including their Pokémon. And even though they showed it a little with the vending Pokémon at moments, they need other permanent members to let the relationship grow and show.

Otherwise, I don't think they are bad this series so far. They had their good moments and I hope there are a lot more to come in the future.

This is a bit of a tricky question for me, at least right now. We've definitely had worse iterations of Team Rocket, but I don't think they're being represented at their best right now, mainly because they've been pretty underutilized. I wasn't the biggest fan of their episode with Ditto, but the vacation episode was outstanding and they were also spectacular in the Magikarp/Slowpoke episode, even though their appearances were brief. Outside of those three instances, however, right now they've kind of just been relegated back to trying to steal Pikachu and getting blasted off, which I don't love.

I do think the Gacha machine is really hurting them. I have always adored the interactions Team Rocket has with their Pokemon, so the fact that they don't have their own teams right now and are only battling with borrowed Pokemon is a big disappointment, especially since these Pokemon haven't really helped them out in battle at all. I might understand a bit more if they were actually being given relatively strong Pokemon that gave them a fighting chance against the twerps, but they're not, so at that rate, why can't they have their own Pokemon who have their own unique personalities?

For me, SM Team Rocket was really great, so them in Journeys right now definitely doesn't match up and is kind of a let down.

They're okay. I don't have any problems with them but I also don't love them. Their use of the gachat thing is probably one of the most brilliant things that the showrunners have ever done though. It's smart and better than them catching Pokemon that they'll just give to Giovanni or release a couple years later.

There is only one hope now.

That they return to Galar to catch Morpeko now that they have seen his full power.

Like they did to Gengar.

I dont understantd why they did not throw a ball at Morpeko like they did to Dreadnaw.

In today episode Team Rocket was awesome. But the Gatchat appears and everything falls down. I preefer silly mechas like the ones they used in DP than Rental Pokémon.

There is only one hope now.

That they return to Galar to catch Morpeko now that they have seen his full power.

Like they did to Gengar.

I dont understantd why they did not throw a ball at Morpeko like they did to Dreadnaw.

In today episode Team Rocket was awesome. But the Gatchat appears and everything falls down. I preefer silly mechas like the ones they used in DP than Rental Pokémon.

The way the Rotom Dex was talking (not feeling up to speaking right now) implies that we'll get the Dex entry later and that it's not a one-time appearance. It'll likely show up the next time Ash, Goh, and TRio go to Galar or it might have hitched a ride on their balloon while they're going back to Kanto.

James should get a Wobbuffet-like Pokemon that will stick around for good (if TRio are kept around for another series). I think it should have been Ditto, but they could always surprise us with Growlie. Otherwise, I don't mind the gacha Pokemon, but I believe that the last one that felt like a close call was the Wailord in the Dragonair episode.

Last edited:
I don’t like the gatcha machine but part of me thinks that it’s really a data scanner to see how ash fights.

They're okay. I don't have any problems with them but I also don't love them. Their use of the gachat thing is probably one of the most brilliant things that the showrunners have ever done though. It's smart and better than them catching Pokemon that they'll just give to Giovanni or release a couple years later.

For the same reason Ash should use rental Pokemon too then. If he is going to leave them at Oak Lab in a couple of years what is the point of catching and raising Pokemon.Dont you think?

I dont care if it is not a Pokémon used in battles but I want them to bond with a Pokemon of their own. They bonded with Ditto but what is the point of bonding with a Pokémon that is probably not going to appear again?

Team Rocket without Pokémon is a crippled Team Rocket since that was one of their best characteristics and it's unfair. Why Go and Ash can bond with their Pokemon and they cannot since we established already that they are good people when they want.

James should get a Wobbuffet-like Pokemon that will stick around for good (if TRio are kept around for another series). I think it should have been Ditto, but they could always surprise with Growlie. Otherwise, I don't mind the gacha Pokemon, but I believe that the last one that felt like a close call was the Wailord in the Dragonair episode.

I agree about James having a permanent member. Mime Jr. was the closest to a Wobbuffet-like Pokemon and I guess the writers decided he wasn't popular or important enough to be kept around (iirc Wobbs was brought back by popular demand).

It's kind of a (uncomfortable) gray area because they're the most underused they've ever been. They've been absent for almost half the episodes so far... o_O

Though things are a LOT worse when they're not around...x_x
(It's mid-Isshu all over again! :eek: )

And as I've said, not a fan of gacha. Not only does it take away from the Jessie & James by not having them interact & bond with their Pokemon, but there's something...wrong about seeing otherwise formidable Pokemon go down quick & easy just because they're with the TRio. It's HIGHLY unfair to all involved...:cry:

Last edited:
It's kind of a (uncomfortable) gray area because they're the most underused they've ever been. They've been absent for almost half the episodes so far... o_O

Though things are a LOT worse when they're not around...x_x
(It's mid-Isshu all over again! :eek: )

And as I've said, not a fan of gacha. Not only does it take away from the Jessie & James by not having them interact & bond with their Pokemon, but there's something wrong about seeing otherwise formidable Pokemon go down quick & easy just because they're with the TRio. It's HIGHLY unfair to all involved...:cry:

The numbers do not lie:

Team Rocket ratio in Black and white (that was when Team Rocket started to not appear in every episode) was 21/29 during some of them Team Rocket had his meteonite subplot ongoing so his appearence in front of twerps was little. Team Rocket in Black and White had really long breaks of 8 straight episodes.

His ratio in XY was 21/29 however they were part of the main plot of the episode.

In Sun and Moon his ratio was a 16/29 episodes and some of them where 1 minute cameos. Team Rocket had a long break during Akala arc when they only appeared in one out of nine episodes.

In Journeys his ratio is 13/29 episodes.

As I said in controversial opinions thread, I don't have a problem with Pokémon Gacha. People say that they like TR's interactions with their pokémon, but Musashi barely interacted with Sonansu since its return in XY, what is her changes with a Galar pokémon? Kojiro's relationship with his tentacled mons were cute in XY and SM, but they still didn't amounted to anything. I like "Team Rocket Pokémon" as a concept when they weren't dump them in the end. Honestly, the Gacha is better than that.

there's something...wrong about seeing otherwise formidable Pokemon go down quick & easy just because they're with the TRio. It's HIGHLY unfair to all involved...:cry:

Though to be fair, that also applies to a lot of the poor dopes being jobbed by Ash this series. (Meganium deserved better, Arcerusdammit!)

As I said in controversial opinions thread, I don't have a problem with Pokémon Gacha. People say that they like TR's interactions with their pokémon, but Musashi barely interacted with Sonansu since its return in XY, what is her changes with a Galar pokémon? Kojiro's relationship with his tentacled mons were cute in XY and SM, but they still didn't amounted to anything. I like "Team Rocket Pokémon" as a concept when they weren't dump them in the end. Honestly, the Gacha is better than that.

Wobuffet is more like the 4th member of Team Rocket now than Jessie Pokémon. In XY he got a really good episode (That made me cry) and I don't mind another episode of him in this series.

Dump in the end? Then what about Ash other region Pokémon?

I haven't seen the new anime yet, but I'm not sure I like the idea of the Rocket Prize Master. Part of the fun of a new series is seeing what Pokemon each character, including Jessie and James, will add to their team. I think Impidimp or Morpeko would have been ideal for Jessie this time around, while James could have had a Cramorant that keeps mistaking his head for a fish.

One advantage of the Prize Master, I suppose, is that it will provide Ash and his friends with a greater variety of opponents, rather than the same ones appearing in every episode.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom