• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POPULAR: What Did You Read Today?

Picked up Murasaki-iro no Qualia by Ueo Hisamitsu.
We've just finished learning about metaphysics of mind in class, so I'm hoping this will be a fun way to get myself thinking about it. Based on the synopsis, it looks like philosophical zombies are going to be involved somehow...

On the other hand, the first few chapters are your average anime slice-of-life, so it's not very interesting at the moment. :/

Started reading a book I got for Christmas called How To Read Nature by Tristan Gooley. Near as I can tell, it's supposed to be a handbook on how to become Aragorn, which I'm on board with. Unfortunately, the first couple chapters appear to be mostly waxing philosophic on vague, tangentially related concepts, all in the name of "laying the groundwork" or something. If nothing else, it has given me the line, "That is not a pretty flower you are looking at; it's a sex machine, whoring itself to the bees. How can something so pretty be so wanton!"

So it's got that going for it.

Started reading a book I got for Christmas called How To Read Nature by Tristan Gooley. Near as I can tell, it's supposed to be a handbook on how to become Aragorn, which I'm on board with. Unfortunately, the first couple chapters appear to be mostly waxing philosophic on vague, tangentially related concepts, all in the name of "laying the groundwork" or something. If nothing else, it has given me the line, "That is not a pretty flower you are looking at; it's a sex machine, whoring itself to the bees. How can something so pretty be so wanton!"

So it's got that going for it.

I tried that one. I suspect you'll find it even more annoying than I did - I can't quite believe Gooley teaches this for a living, because he does seem terribly pleased with himself for knowing such gems as "Most plants grow towards sunlight"

As for me - Henry VIII And The Men Who Made Him, Tracey Borman, and Titanicus, Dan Abnett

Just binged Doe of Deadwood, which is a comic about a cursed deer hosted on deviantART, of all things. It was good stuff, honestly. A really messed-up premise and plenty of macabre content. The ideas from it will be sitting in my head for some time to come, I'm sure.

Currently reading a proof copy of book called Feathertide, for my book club thing. Just a chapter a day on average. It's okay, but the protagonist is extraordinarily perceptive and insightful for a girl who spent her whole life being raised in a brothel's basement. Also, most of her problems are solved for her, which is never any fun.

Yesterday now, but let's see ... finished Leviathan Wakes, James S. A. Corey (Fine for what it is, author doesn't know the difference between ordnance and ordinance), Thief of Time, Terry Pratchett, and The Wood For the Trees, Richard Fortey

I've been reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins lately. It's been sparking some story ideas in my mind, but I've got so many of those already there that I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with writing them all, haha.

I just finished Yoru Sumino's latest novel, At Night I Become a Monster, and...uuuuugh. Of all the books she's written, this one is without a doubt her worst. Why did I even bother with this one? Working on my review of it as I speak.

Henry VIII And The Men Who Made Him, Tracey Borman, Titanicus, Dan Abnett, Honour Guard, Dan Abnett

Woo, another Abnett fan! He's an absolutely lovely bloke:

Abnett.jpg

I was lucky enough to get a hold of Saturnine a few months back, it's his largest work and maybe his best.

Very recently started Persian Fire by Tom Holland (not that one), on the rise of the Persian Empire.

A while ago, I read the book Fat Angie by E. E. Charlton Trujillo. Ugh. Never again. That book absolutely sucks. Don't read it.

On the other hand, I read this one slice-of-life fantasy book called The Bookwanderers by Anna James, which was MUCH better and much more compelling. I liked it!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom