• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The future of the Main Series

1. They can only release games on Nintendo consoles since they’re partially owned by Nintendo.
2. GameFreak works with existing technologies and does not create new ones. They’re not a research and development company. They can’t even get 3D graphics fluid right now.
3. Widespread consumer Technology doesn’t exist for that.

Pokemon on PC will remain exclusive to emulators for the longest time I guess. Sorry to burst your bubble.

We could see a holographic Pokémon game in the future if Nintendo develops a console that uses that technology. There's also the possibility that specialized game consoles will one day be replaced by tablets, phones, smart TVs and the like (once those devices are advanced enough to run games as well as a console can), so any technology those devices can use, Pokémon will be able to take advantage of too.

1. They can only release games on Nintendo consoles since they’re partially owned by Nintendo.
2. GameFreak works with existing technologies and does not create new ones. They’re not a research and development company. They can’t even get 3D graphics fluid right now.
3. Widespread consumer Technology doesn’t exist for that.

Pokemon on PC will remain exclusive to emulators for the longest time I guess. Sorry to burst your bubble.
hey we had what 3 generations back no 3D but 2D... we can hope technology moves on and that the company tries to satisfy players needs

Even if Game Freak stops doing remakes, I think old titles will continue to be sold via virtual console or whatever its future equivalent is. There's no way Game Freak hasn't seen the amount of money previous titles continue to rake in.

How much debt does Nintendo have?
Liabilities & Shareholders' Equity
Current Portion of Long TermDebt12M553M
Accounts Payable31.86B98.07B
Accounts Payable Growth-64.31%
Income Tax Payable1.88B66.41B
Nintendo

Logo in white on red background used since 2016
Nintendo headquarters in Kyoto, Japan
Production outputHardware: 21.72 million Software: 173.71 million (2020)
ServicesNintendo eShop My Nintendo NintendoSwitch Online
Revenue¥1.309 trillion (2020)
Game Freak

How much money does Game Freak make?
The main series has made an estimated $15-$17 Billion. Does Game Freak have billions in the bank?

How much money is game freak worth?
"Gamefreak is worth 90 billion dollars".

Last edited:
In terms of DLC, I don't see them doing any more for Sw/Sh at this point, the Crown Tundra is supposed to be the conclusive finale to the game. The Ultra games had all legendary Pokemon available between both games plus distributions that provide the opposite legendary Pokemon to the player. It's clear that after the Crown Tundra, there won't be anymore DLCs. As much as it sucks that Sw/Sh might have some incomplete stuff even after the Crown Tundra, it's just not feasible to keep making DLCs for the same game for many reasons.

In terms of DLC, I don't see them doing any more for Sw/Sh at this point, the Crown Tundra is supposed to be the conclusive finale to the game.

Is it? I could have missed something but I don't think GF have suggested as much?

As much as it sucks that Sw/Sh might have some incomplete stuff even after the Crown Tundra, it's just not feasible to keep making DLCs for the same game for many reasons.

Such as? If anything, DLC seems a very cost-effective way for GF to drive interest in SwSh, and I'd be surprised to learn if the expansion pass sales are any lower than those typically associated with a full third version. Moreover, there's still over 200 species (including several starter lines) waiting to be let back into the game, assuming the Crown Tundra 'leaks' are correct. There's still a number of conspicuous story, geography and species gaps (the rest of the Galar fossils?) to be filled, and another instance or two of DLC seems to fill those gaps perfectly.

Such as? If anything, DLC seems a very cost-effective way for GF to drive interest in SwSh, and I'd be surprised to learn if the expansion pass sales are any lower than those typically associated with a full third version.
They need to invest on new games too, though. They produce more hype than DLC versions. A potentially $120 cost to have the "full" Sword and Shield experience would draw a lot of backlash too. There’s so much DLC you can milk out of a single game, specially a traditionally annual franchise like Pokémon.

Part of me doesn't think there's gonna be more DLC for SwSh after the Crown Tundra. I do think we might get a mainline game next year, considering it is the 25th anniversary. They could potentially distribute Legendary/Mythical Pokemon year round like they did for their 20th anniversary, and it is possible they will have some game to release. Since they're doing all this DLC, I don't think they're gonna go back to Galar. They might just end up giving us Sinnoh remakes. It will also be the 15th anniversary of Diamond and Pearl, but who knows.

Moreover, there's still over 200 species (including several starter lines) waiting to be let back into the game, assuming the Crown Tundra 'leaks' are correct. There's still a number of conspicuous story, geography and species gaps (the rest of the Galar fossils?) to be filled, and another instance or two of DLC seems to fill those gaps perfectly.

Got to leave some for another new game. (Especially if it's Sinnoh Remakes since a lot of missing lines hail from Sinnoh.)

Is it? I could have missed something but I don't think GF have suggested as much?

It's based on exploration and provides the rest of the legendary Pokemon for the player to catch, something that both ORAS and Ultra Sun/Moon both had done between two versions. Those two, especially the providing every legendary Pokemon part sounds pretty conclusive to me.

Such as? If anything, DLC seems a very cost-effective way for GF to drive interest in SwSh, and I'd be surprised to learn if the expansion pass sales are any lower than those typically associated with a full third version. Moreover, there's still over 200 species (including several starter lines) waiting to be let back into the game, assuming the Crown Tundra 'leaks' are correct. There's still a number of conspicuous story, geography and species gaps (the rest of the Galar fossils?) to be filled, and another instance or two of DLC seems to fill those gaps perfectly.

The problem with making more DLC now is the cost of getting everything going up for those who still don't have the game who might also have an interest in getting both DLCs and the fact that it's even more data that will be used because of models, landscape, etc. Getting just Sword or Shield plus the Expansion Pass alone already cost a total of $90 for a single game. Having more Expansion Passes will make Pokemon Sw/Sh really hard for more players to want to get the full experience, this is why Smash Bros. stopped selling their DLC characters separately. Secondly, Game Freak will lose more money if they keep doing DLCs because most players will eventually get sick of the same game that they have been playing for the longest time.

Last edited:
Got to leave some for another new game. (Especially if it's Sinnoh Remakes since a lot of missing lines hail from Sinnoh.)
Well, Hoenn and Johto are missing just as much. The only thing Sinnoh has going for it as that
the Sinnog fossils are the only ones missing from the Crown Tundra.

Well, Hoenn and Johto are missing just as much. The only thing Sinnoh has going for it as that
the Sinnog fossils are the only ones missing from the Crown Tundra.
Those Pokemon can be easily added in the Sinnoh remakes.

By that logic, Dex bloating happened with Platinum. Oh wait, there is no such thing as Dex bloating In Gen 8!
It's basically the dex being too large for the region. Sinnoh isn't as big as Galar, mostly due to the hardware of the DS being more limited than that of the Switch. There's also the fact that most National Dex Pokemon in DP were locked behind obscene methods, and Sinnoh lacks the feature where different grass patches have different Pokemon that was added in Sun and Moon.

It's basically the dex being too large for the region. Sinnoh isn't as big as Galar, mostly due to the hardware of the DS being more limited than that of the Switch. There's also the fact that most National Dex Pokemon in DP were locked behind obscene methods, and Sinnoh lacks the feature where different grass patches have different Pokemon that was added in Sun and Moon.
So? Hoenn wasn't as big as Kalos but still managed to fit in more Pokemon in the remakes more than the original. They have solved that grass problem long before Sw/Sh came out.

Mostly though DexNav and Mirage Spots. Sinnoh will actually lose one such feature in the remakes due to the absence of a GBA slot.
Doesn't matter, they can cram more Pokemon into various routes of the region in the postgame.

As Riley has pointed out, it's a fairly even loss across the board for multiple regions, and moreover - what's the real hook in terms of remaining Sinnoh species? Staraptor? Yanmega? So many of the Sinnoh all-stars will be in the game after Crown Tundra I don't think its reasonable to infer that the region is being held hostage quite like that: we have Roserade, Togekiss, Mamoswine and notably Lucario in the base game, with Tangrowth joining us in IoA. Crown Tundra looks set to give us

Magmortar, Electivire and Garchomp, not to mention a swathe of legendaries Gen 4 introduced.

I just don't really pick up on any particular theme that connects the missing species, and especially not a connection to Sinnoh.

Doesn't matter, they can cram more Pokemon into various routes of the region in the postgame.
It would drown out the Pokemon that are already there. They can't do that without adding whole new areas entirely due to Sinnoh being built with the OG DS in mind, not the Switch.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom