• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Seasonal Discussions Digimon Adventure: discussion

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
When a sudden wave of unusual phenomena strikes Tokyo's electronics, runaway trains and a slowly spreading city-wide blackout, a group of children are brought into the world within computer systems and unite with creatures made from computer data known as Digimon.

Yes, because Toei just can't get enough of that sweet, sweet nostalgia money, the original Digimon Adventure is being rebooted for a new generation. After a long hiatus, the series has returned with new episodes being released weekly!

Important rule: Make sure to spoiler tag and properly label discussion of the current week's episode as official sites are a week behind for non-premium viewers. For ease of reference the most recent free episode will be listed in the title.

• Staff
Lone's thoughts on the first 4 episodes:
  • Eps 1-3: These were really just ok imo. It was just 3 episodes of Our War Game with weird pacing between episodes. Omnimon showing up was also kinda super weird because it implies access to the potential to entirely break the power scaling whenever Taichi and Yamato are together. They weren't exactly bad, but I dunno I just think they could've been better. One thing I'll give freely to this stretch of episodes is that Agumon's evolution sequence was godly. Just stunningly animated and choreographed.
  • Ep 4: Coming off from the final point regarding the last episode, little bit disappointed they're going back to standard stock footage evolution sequences. I mean, they still look really good, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't disappoint me just a little. Anyway I really like the way the Digital World looks in this version. I'll always have a soft spot for that original "normal places with weird electrical stuff strewn about" aesthetic, but I really love how alien this one looks. The arcing landscape, the giant dome thing, the massive dragon shape, the glowy lights around the river. Also I feel like I'm gonna like the slow burn they're doing with the character intros, since it'll give us more time to get used to everyone before someone new comes in and we can focus on them for a few episodes. Also, I'm not sure if this is the right way to describe it, but the "pacing" issue is still and I feel like this is just how this series is gonna be. The episode wraps up all nice and neat, but then they gotta go and throw in a random cliffhanger at the end. And it's just weird structuring that makes then ending flow all weirdly and doesn't leave you satisfied when you're done with the episode.

• Staff
  • Ep 5: Your pretty basic lore episode that establishes what's going on and why. Honestly I'm a little surprised they pretty much spelled out the deal with the partner Digimon right away like that. I get the feeling this series is gonna be a bit faster-paced than most others are, time will tell. One interesting thing I did notice in the Explanation Sequence is that Seraphimon and Ophanimon weren't with the other Ultimate level partners, which has gotten me curious about how exactly they'll play into things. There's clearly something special about them that separates them from the others, which given how Hikari and Takeru seem to already have some kind of knowledge about the whole thing is potentially important? Also not gonna lie, tiniest bit miffed that Greymon got the full evolution sequence and Kabuterimon didn't. Like, he's the new one, show us his!
  • Ep 6: God damn I always love me some good Mimi content. That's uhh... Kinda the extent of my thoughts on this one, really. Just a good pure Mimi episode. Again though, why the fuck does Greymon get a proper evolution sequence and not Togemon, the evolution the episode is about?

Episodes 1-3 were weird. I understand why they started with an action-oriented movie and the animation was excellent, but the pacing felt very slow and the introduction to the characters felt very flat. Also, Omegamon appearing really felt like a Deus Ex Machina, even recycling the "people of all the world are supporting us!" excuse from the movie would have been enough, but nope, it comes from nowhere.

Episodes 4-5 were better. The pacing again felt slow but they are cute Monster of the Week episodes. I'm intrigued about the Angels and I hope they are explored deeply, and that unlike the Ancient Warriors from Frontier they'll re-appear someday.

Episodes 6-7 were another improvement. We finally got better characterization and information on what makes the kids different from one another, with Mimi's childishness and Joe's dedication to school and how their Digimon complemented them. It's also cool how the main cast and their Digimon all had roles to play during these episodes. However, the series still needs some B-plots about Matt, TK or the villains to make it more exciting and story-focused.

Episodes 1-3 are Digimon the movie without the awful dub, jokes and no Smash Mouth. Also instead of Omnimon we got another busted digimon who evolves really fast and wants to throw a missile. It's a so-so way to introduce a series, I'm not a fan of Omegamon out of nowhere

Epidoses 4-5 Were better specially 5 in which we finally got introduced to the plot.

Episodes 5-6 Felt like the old Digimon episodes againwhich is good Mimy and Joe personalities help a lot.

Differences with the main series for now

-The group is separated and with the exception of Sora and Tai they seem to not have met before. In the original they were of the same school and they did go to the Digiworld together except Kari.

-TK does not seem to be witth the original group he seems to have another role similar to Kari in the original series

- The boys and the Digimon met at the same time in the original series and where in the same place.

- No mention of the internet in the original

-The Digidestined did not know they were in a computer world untill episode 19 in this series they already know where they are and why are they here.

- Omnimon and War Game introduction

- The Digimon world of this series is less crazy than the original one (Fridges in weird places, the train in the middle of nowhere,the phone boots on the beach)

-This series is more serious than the original one, Tai and Agumon were funnier in the original specially Tai who was really naughty and hotheaded in the first episodes of the original series (Wanting to remove Gabumon cloth, Kicking Etermon minions in the back, trying to break Izzy computer...) even Matt was not that serious in the original series.

-However for now the series is less dark than the original who had near death experiences specially Tai who almost got stabbed by Leomon. Also theoriginal had more mystery since in the first episodes the protagonist were not aware where they were and why.

-The Digimon seem to be more powerfull than in the Original series.

-Evolution is less related to life threatening moments.

Similarities with the main series

- OG group and the crest seem to be the same

- Ogremon and Devimon being the main villains for now

-Soundbirdmon is just a copy of the Black Gear.

- The evolution episodes follows the original series line (Tai-Matt-Sora-Izzy-Mimi-Joe-¿TK?)

Questions I have

¿ When are TK and Kairi put step in the digital world?

¿ Is the big Tokyo Blackout the main problem of this series or we will have more?

¿Are they going to stay in the digital world or are they going back to home regularly?

¿Are we going to have Etemon, Myotismon and Dark Masters too?

¿Shipings?

¿Are 02 kids going to appear in the future?

• Staff
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about Ep 7. It might be the awkward way Joe's character's been altered making him feel a bit off, but the episode as a whole just felt kinda... Eeehhhhhh. And like, I know it's a reboot, so you gotta change things around a bit to keep things interesting, but when a character feels kinda similar to what they originally were, but then have one or two things shuffled around it just feels off in a way that's probably worse than if they'd entirely changed who Joe was. It could also just be the framing of things making it seem a tad off? Honestly at this point I'm just rambling and I'll have to see where things go in the future to really know how I feel about it.

Also one thing I forgot to mention about Ep 6 is that the Tuskmon eating the grass was hilarious. Like, I guess it kinda makes sense that that's how you'd eat digital grass, but watching it was just so ridiculous that I just lost it laughing for a bit.
However, the series still needs some B-plots about Matt, TK or the villains to make it more exciting and story-focused.
Yeah I'm actually really surprised by how little Yamato content there's been so far. Like, when you're the main focus of the ending sequence, one would assume you would receive considerable focus in the narrative. But he's just been gone since Ep 3.
¿ Is the big Tokyo Blackout the main problem of this series or we will have more?
I'd assume the blackout is the main problem they've gotta solve. Just because of the way the exposition dump framed the situation. It sounds like it's just one big thing that's being a problem, and the entire progression of the plot is just working towards solving that thing.

I absolutely loved the first 3 episodes. The animation was gorgeous and it all felt very cinematic. I wasn't that excited in going back to the original chosen kids (especially after Tri. was a massive disappointment to me) but this pulled me right in.

Episodes 4, 6 and 7 were pretty standard Digimon fare. Villainous Digimon treatens the kids, new Digivolution saves the day. Nothing bad, just alright. I really liked episode 5 though since I have always wanted to see Valdurmon on screen and the lore was pretty interesting.

Overall, I'm excited to see where it will go and I'm really liking it so far.

Ep 8 was pretty good! It did a really great job of weaving in a bunch of good character moments during all the stuff. I am a bit annoyed at Koushiro's continued absence from the main group, since just flying along through the network with Kabuterimon doesn't exactly allow them to do a whole bunch. It does look like they're finally arriving next episode though, so that's nice. Speaking of the next episode, tiniest bit concerned about the arrival of MetalTyrannomon potentially heralding Super Evolution, because that would be some patently absurd pacing. I know they'll probably just do a simple "Everybody gang up on the big guy!" solution, but after they threw Omnimon at us in Ep 3 I've been a little bit concerned about the potential pacing of the series. But we'll just have to see where it goes.

Oh boy were they padding this one for time. Lotta long sweeping shots where nothing happened, flashbacks to literal minutes ago. Just clearly didn't have the content to fill an entire episode. Ogremon was reasonably interesting in this episode, and I'm honestly kinda disappointed that he seemingly died. He could've had an interesting dynamic with Agumon as a recurring rival, maybe even get a redemption arc after getting all shitty at being replaced by MetalTyrannomon. Anyway, how 'bout that next episode preview, huh? We are on episode 9, Koushiro has been in the party for half an episode, and we are just about to hit Super Evolution. This is absolute breakneck pacing and I'm kinda concerned about the story being able to keep up with the evolutions.
I enjoyed the Digimon Encyclopedia segment at the start though, it was a neat little thing.

Last edited:
So, how about those Super Evolutions over the past few weeks? MetalGreymon was decent enough, not bad, not great, it worked for what it needed to do. But I don't really believe that Yamato cares about these people enough to trigger WereGarurumon, not at the point that it happened. Which is one of the things I was worried about with the pacing being as fast as it is. Evolutions run a real risk of feeling unearned because things are moving too fast for character interactions to breathe, making these emotional triggers feel unearned. Especially since Yamato has been with this group for a mere four episodes, and we're supposed to believe that he cares about them enough, after knowing them for a day at most, to make Garurumon evolve to protect them. Like, no?
Lilimon however was fucking brilliant. Mimi continues to be the shining star of this series. So pure-hearted that she shows a random act of kindness to a Digimon she had no real reason to even believe was alive, to cause it to sacrifice its life for her out of gratitude, at which point she flips out from the injustice of it all to power an evolution with pure righteous fury. Just *chefs kiss* mwah.

Also, Be The Winners > X-Treme Fight, don't @ me

Last edited:
Episodes 8 and 12 are my Top 2 so far. One is a cool action episode where everyone has a role, and the other is a very cute and sentimental story. The others are just decent, cool action but many slow-paced moments. My main gripes with the series are rather subjective though:

• The Ultra rush. I get that they wanted to do something different from the original where it took half of the series, but dumping them all in sequence becomes very tiring, and the ways to obtain them are nowhere as iconic as in the other version. I liked seeing the chosen children finding out their tags and showing their qualities. We could still see those moments with the Megas, but it feels very repetitive, as the Ultras came 2 episodes after the champion forms.
  • Most enemies and some allies being silent. There were some silent enemies on the other series, but they were nowhere close to literally everyone. Very few can talk in human speech, so most antagonists feel just like punching bags and we haven't enjoyed their relationships with the group. Is one of the main differences between Pokemon and Digimon, why did they tone it down?

Sooo... Been a while since I updated this thread, huh? So let's just get straight into thoughts on what the series has done, huh?

Ep 13: This one was honestly pretty boring. Which disappoints me, because I love the Fanbeemon line, but this episode was just a boring time. Congratulations Adventure 2020, you ruined Fanbeemon! The evolution to Garudamon also felt really unearned. There was no real need or tension to it. Just "Darn, sure wish we were a bit stronger so we could help bust those guys out." "Why don't I evolve so we can do that?" "Magnificent idea, Birdramon. This is why I like you so much." Overall just a really nothing episode.

Ep 14: I... Can see what they were going for with this one. Koushiro easing up on his laptop and learning to trust his own judgements and observations, but something about the way it was executed just felt a little wonky. Also it doesn't really seem to last as actual development of his character? Because very time we see him after this episode he's back to being glued to his laptop and using that to make his conclusions. Overall, good concept, wonky execution.

Ep 15: Now this one was good. Real need and tension with Sora being visibly injured and only getting worse, Jo really feeling to grow as a person. One of the only two Super Evolutions to feel really, unambiguously good and earned.

The climax: Overall, pretty decent, really. Good mystery and tension with them running around Fake!Tokyo as the illusion steadily breaks more and more, some really nice down-time (which we seriously need a lot more of in this series if I'm gonna be honest, some of the first real down-time we've had since the start of the series and it's during a boss battle), and and really neat climax during the first two parts with some good teamwork and strategy. Part 3 however, I did not feel was overly good. Omnimon once again came screaming out of the left-field with no actual indication of what the fuck is going on. What are the rules to make Omnimon and when can it happen? Where and why do the feathers come from and how do they play a part in things? You can make a few guesses, but the show doesn't really explain much of how it works and it makes the whole affair more confusing than anything, because Omnimon could theoretically exist at any time because the show refuses to properly establish rules. Also the animation was just really not there. Omnimon barely moved, and when it did the movements were stiff and repetitive. You really couldn't have splurged your budget a little bit to make your climax pop?

The future: Strap yourselves in folks 'cause I've got thoughts on where this series is goin'. Let's just head down the list, shall we?
  • Tsunemon? Seriously? We already basically did War Game in the first three episodes, and now our next antagonist is the Diaboromon line? Really? You couldn't have come up with literally any other Digimon?
  • Are we seriously supposed to be intimidated by Devimon? It's an Adult level Digimon, the protagonists are Perfect, and at the rate they're going will be Ultimates by the time they meet. Devimon better be pulling some major surprises because it has no lore saying it should be able to stand up to six (maybe even eight) Perfects, and seeing it do so would break my suspension of disbelief to a frankly unreasonable degree.
  • Please, please, please give us antagonists that talk and have actual personalities! The enemies for literally the entire series who were not named Ogremon have been blocks of meat for the protagonists to hit and contributed nothing to the plot outside of that. Andromon spoke but it had literally no personality beyond "Must Kill Mimi", and while Nidhoggmon did talk, it was extraordinarily basic with no personality or desire beyond "Haha Nidhoggmon go boom". We really need enemies with voices and personality to keep thing varied and interesting or episodes blend together and have trouble standing out.

The Eyesmon Arc was...okay. It started out strong with some mystery about the false Tokyo and all Perfect stages working together, but everything was finished with a Deus Ex Machina again :bulbaFacepalm: At least Nidhoggmon didn't die in one hit. And overall it felt kinda repetitive like some of Xros Wars battles.

I'm hopeful about the upcoming arc, with a talking ally, a talking villain and TK it would be impossible for it to not have some of Adventure's charm back. It's sad that Sora & the others got left behind in the human world, I'd be pissed if they don't get their own subplots at least.

It's sad that Sora & the others got left behind in the human world, I'd be pissed if they don't get their own subplots at least.
I'm honestly not convinced that's where they ended up. We never actually see where they wound up, and they could have just been yanked off to other parts of the Digital world.

You also reminded me that I entirely forgot to bring up the fact that Leomon arrives next episode. Therefore:
I'm takin' all bets people! Cast your votes now, how long until Leomon kicks the bucket?
I'm tempted to give him a reasonably short timeframe, given the pacing of the series so far, but it makes sense for it to slow down a bit now, given that we have not one but two villains to compete with, as well as more than half the team blown off to locations unknown, plus two team members having not even met their Digimon yet. Therefore, I'm gonna play the long game.
I predict Leomon will die 18 episodes from his introduction, placing his death firmly in episode 37.

Last edited:
The Leomon Death Timer Betting Pool
Last edited:
Ep 19 was actually surprisingly hype for a setup episode? Like, Leomon's entrance was hype as fuck, and Minotarumon was, at the very least, infinitely more interesting than every villain from the past 9 episodes combined. Also very interested to find out exactly how Takeru wound up both in the Digital World, and in the possession of the bad guys.
Also, like, that Digimon Devimon sent out was a Velgemon. As in, the corrupted form of the Beast Spirit of Darkness. So shit is either about to get real nuts in the fun way, or real dumb and annoying. Because we're either about to get Legendary Warrior lore mixed up in our Adventure, which would actually be rad, or it's just gonna be like Bullmon and the random Stegomon wandering around without any obvious use of a Digimental, and just be a Spirit Digimon existing for some reason because consistency in lore is for sissies. Personally my money's on the latter, but I can dream, y'know?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom