• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with the Pokeball Plus Mew, in my opinion, is that you can't transfer a Mew from GO through the GO Park, i.e. the only way to obtain a Mew in LGPE is to pay for the accessory. Irregardless of it being not required for Pokedex completion, competitive battles etc, it's still a little scummy that GameFreak blocked people from transferring their Mew in what feels like a move to encourage people to buy the Pokeball Plus, which cost around $50 at launch. Yes, you can trade, but realistically few people are going to be willing to trade their Mew. The Ranger Manaphy is similar in this regard, but at least you get a whole game out of it rather than some accessory.

That being said, I am very wary of people claiming [x] gaming company is as terrible as EA. I have seen so many people on reddit use EA comparisons against any video game or video game company that they do not like that I've become numb to them, not that I paid much head to them anyways. I feel like it's basically a generic insult at this point. At any rate, several other users have outlined why GameFreak isn't nearly as bad as EA. I'd imagine if GameFreak were to include loot boxes, maybe you'd have a leg to stand on, but as of right now I think any comparison between the two is hyperbole.

I'd imagine if GameFreak were to include loot boxes, maybe you'd have a leg to stand on, but as of right now I think any comparison between the two is hyperbole.
I think it would need way more than that... That's why I say comparing companies to EA is the videogame equivalent of Godwin's Law.

Oh! And we can call it "prog rocker's law"
Flashbacks intensify
20200706_222248.jpg

Crown Tundra Datamine Spoiler:
It's been pointed out by many other people that the Expansion Pass datamine showed Rampardos & Bastiodon are the only fossil Pokémon lines that are not going to be added to SwSh's Pokedex in Crown Tundra. I think that could ironically confirm that Gen IV remakes are in fact planned to come later this Gen, because if they weren't, you'd think they'd just include those two fossils along with all the others.
Then there was also this tweet in April:

Other DLC Spoilers:
There's a few other possible hints that were pointed out by HoopsandHiphop, like the new Regis & the whole Vespiquen Honey part of the Isle of Armor story, but I'm more inclined to say those might have been coincidental and/or planted.
Right now as things stand, my hope is that GameFreak/TPC have been listening to the requests all these years, and they've been saving DP remakes for 2021 which also happens to be the 25th anniversary of the series, and when the games do finally come out they will be much more polished & true to the originals than Let's Go was, and will turn out to have been well worth the long wait.

But, my fear is that those games were originally planned for Gen 7 (which would explain all the cryptic Sinnoh hints back then), but they ultimately went the way of Mega Flygon & Pokémon Z, and now that the series has transitioned to the Switch & uses a fully 3D engine, there are no longer any plans to remake Gen IV (at least not in the near future).
I don't think that they will ever stop doing remakes.

I think DP remakes should have new forms of Dialga and Palkia with broken abilities, to make them more powerful tham groudon/kyogre/rayquaza.
Abilities- Time distort and Space distort

Effect : user and allies always attack first. Every move has higher priority than everything in the game, even follow me end protect . Psychic terrain removes the priority, but doesnt block the moves, unless the moves normally are priority moves.

New giratina form that absorbs griserous orb instead of holding it.
Ability: Distortion

Effect: triggers the inverse battle effect while the user is in battle. If it switchs out, everything works as always.

New Arceus form

Abilitiy: Omnipotent

Effect: The user changes its type and foes types to the types that give more advantage to the user. Ex: If arceus uses thunderbolt on kyogre, Arceus type will change to eletric and kyogre´s type will change to water/flying. If you switch kyogre and put groudon, groudon´s type will change to water flying. If groudon survives and use earthquake, arceus changes to flying type before the move hits. If groudon used fire punch, arceus would change to water/dragon. So basically, arceus would be imune or resist 4x to everything and hit everything with 4x damage.

Yes, it is and extremely broken ability, but arceus should be a pokemon god, it should be able to defeat even other legendaries easily. However, giratina´s new form and new ability could ruin arceus plans. In the sinnoh´s remake lore, they could say that giratina disobeyed arceus and absorbed griserous orb to defeat arceus, but arceus sent dialga and palkia to ban giratina, so arceus could create and rule the universe unchalenged.

I always thought it was lame that kyogre, groudon and rayquaza had cool abilities that match their lore and the sinnoh main legendaries have the generic pressure ability.

Kyogre and groudon build/create the oceans and the continents of the whole world , so, they more important than the tapus in the pokemon world. Primal kyogre and groudon, and mega rayquaza are broken , all the vgc rules that allowed cover legendaries had at least one of them in almost all teams. The creation trio ( sinnoh cover legendaries) were roting all this time. But dialga and palkia control the time and the space of all the universe. They would destroy the whole galaxy and replace it with a new one. You stop kyogre/ groudon alone, but You need the help of the lake trio to stop one of them . They should be by far more powerfull than pokemon that control the water and ground of a single tiny planet in the galaxy. I never said arceus was like the Abrahanic god. But, again, it should be by far more powerful than kyogre/groudon/rayquaza. They should also explain why giratina was banned. Who banned it? Its dex entries say its was banned because it was violent, but who it attacked?

These new forms would likely be banned from ubers, like rayquaza was . Arceus was always banned from vgc, and we could still use the old forms in smogon rules.

Game freak should allow these new forms in vgc formats. Every team would have dialga or palkia( in ORAS VGC 16, every team had a cover legendary or rayquaza, so, not very different) . Giratina would be the anti-meta , dialga and palkia are full of resists , giratina would make them full of weaknesses. Lol, dialga would have 9 weaknesses! 4x weak to grass! Palkia would be 4x weak to fire and water.

It would also be cool if you could time travel in diamond remake, and travel to space in pearl remake. We could get past forms of pokemon we know, ex: shell form gastrodon, since pokedex says that it used to have a shell, past form regigigas without slow start, past form fossils. In pearl remake, we could get space forms of pokemon we know, ex: travel to the moon and get moon form clefairy , moon form deoxys.

would make dynamax only used via a "item"with one pokemon in battle, maybe restriction bc of controlling the effect outside of Galar? they could make Gigantamax this way too... maybe after our poison/dragon was defeated the Dynamax fields of the world changed and now both trainer and pokemon need to use the Dynamax crystals at the same time to activate it.
Making Megas, Z-moves and Dynamax chosebale mechanics similar like starters, you can chose and use one out of three in battle only.

Generaly new moves, new abilities, new megas and maybe gigantamax, megas or a mix of both for legendaries...

So there was a conversation on one of the other threads about whether or not they could fit in the remaining Pokemon into Sinnoh. I wanted to speculate on how exactly they could do that to prove that it's possible (also because it's fun). I'm going to fit in every Pokemon that isn't in Galar and IoA, and isn't yet confirmed for Crown Tundra (I haven't read the rumors, so I'm not going to include those).

Bidoof
Starly
Kricketot (Morning and Night only)

Bidoof
Starly

Bidoof
Starly
Shinx

Bidoof
Starly
Shinx
Abra
Zubat (Night only)

Zubat
Geodude
Psyduck

Zubat
Geodude
Onix

Geodude
Machop
Ponyta
Zubat (Night only)

Bidoof
Starly
Shinx
Budew (Morning and Day only)
Zubat (Night only)

Zubat
Geodude
Psyduck

Bidoof
Starly
Shinx
Wurmple (Morning and Day only)
Zubat (Night only)

Bidoof
Buizel
Shellos
Pachirisu

Bidoof
Buizel
Shellos
Pachirisu

Wurmple
Hoothoot (Night only)
Silcoon/Cascoon
Cascoon/Silcoon
Murkrow/Misdreavus (Night only)
Beautifly/Dustox

Bidoof
Buizel
Shellos
Pachirisu
Hoothoot (Night only)

Geodude
Machop
Meditite
Chingling
Ponyta
Zubat (Night only)

Gastly
Haunter

Geodude
Machop
Ponyta
Kricketune
Stunky (Diamond only)
Gligar
Zubat (Night only)

1F:
Geodude
Zubat
Onix
Bronzor

B1F:
Geodude
Zubat
Onix
Bronzor
Gible

Geodude
Zubat
Meditite
Chingling
Bronzor
Cleffa
Nosepass

Bibarel
Machop
Roselia
Psyduck
Ralts
Zubat (Night only)

Bibarel
Mime Jr./Glameow
Staravia
Ralts
Chansey

Gastly
Zubat
Duskull
Haunter

Ponyta
Kricketune
Bonsly (Pearl only)
Roselia (Morning and Day only)
Hoothoot (Night only)
Scyther
Chansey

Staravia
Abra
Marill
Kricketune
Lickitung
Scyther

Geodude
Ponyta
Rhyhorn
Graveler
Houndour (Night only)

Geodude
Hippopotas

Geodude
Ponyta
Rhyhorn
Girafarig
Graveler
Houndour (Night only)

Wingull
Buizel
Shellos
Marill
Chatot
Floatzel

Standard Encounter:
Wooper
Azurill
Marill
Quagsire
Hoothoot (Night only)
Noctowl (Night only)
Tangela
Yanma
Tropius (Morning and Day only)
Psyduck

Daily Binocular Pokemon:
Skorupi
Drapion
Croagunk
Toxicroak
Golduck
Carnivine

Bibarel
Shellos
Wooper
Kricketune
Quagsire
Croagunk

Roselia
Staravia
Pichu
Kricketune
Marill
Ralts

Furret
Smeargle
Furfrou
Snubbull
Skitty
Audino
Komala

Bibarel
Meditite
Psyduck
Machoke
Swablu
Scyther
Noctowl (Night only)

Meditite
Chingling
Machoke
Swablu
Graveler
Noctowl (Night only)

Floatzel
Gastrodon
Pelipper
Roselia
Sudowoodo (Pearl only)

Flaafy
Plusle
Minun
Electrode
Zebstrika

Wingull
Floatzel
Gastrodon
Chatot
Mr. Mime (Diamond only)

Graveler
Golbat
Onix
Magnemite
Steelix

Graveler
Golbat
Meditite
Chingling
Bronzor
Clefairy
Nosepass

Snover
Machoke
Graveler
Medicham
Sneasel
Noctowl (Night only)

Snover
Medicham
Sneasel
Swinub
Noctowl (Night only)

Snover
Medicham
Sneasel
Swinub
Noctowl (Night only)
Snorunt (Night only)

Graveler
Golbat
Medicham
Bronzong
Clefairy
Chimecho
Nosepass

Snover
Graveler
Medicham
Chimecho
Nosepass
Abomasnow
Absol

Floatzel
Gastrodon
Pikachu
Chatot
Skunktank/Purugly
Luxio
Magneton

1F:
Golbat
Graveler
Machoke
Medicham
Steelix
Rhydon
Gabite

2F:
Golbat
Graveler
Medicham
Steelix
Kadabra
Magneton
Gabite

B1F:
Golbat
Floatzel
Machoke
Medicham
Azumarill

Post Game Area:
Golbat
Azumarill
Dewgong
Ursaring
Carbink
Shelgon
Dragonair (Fishing)
Eelektrik (Fishing)

Floatzel
Crabrawler
Toucannon
Chatot
Beedrill
Beautifly/Dustox

Sneasel
Golbat
Jynx

Watchog
Hypno
Noctowl
Stantler
Chimecho
Dusclops

Golbat
Haunter
Bronzong
Chimecho
Dusclops
Banette

Fearow
Gumshoos (Morning and Day only)
Pidgeotto (Morning and Day only)
Swadloon (Morning and Day only)
Raticate (Night only)
Mightyena (Night only)
Arbok
Dodrio

Fearow
Primeape
Swanna
Swellow
Grumpig
Seviper/Zangoose

Fearow
Spinda
Rhydon
Minior
Skarmory
Pyroar

Fearow
Graveler
Rhydon
Pyroar
Camerupt

Graveler
Rhydon
Camerupt
Weezing
Muk
Swalot
Magcargo

Rhydon
Dugtrio
Cacturne
Hippowdon
Donphan

Volbeat
Illumise
Ledian (Morning only)
Ariados (Night only)
Parasect
Forretress
Venomoth (Night only)
Vigoroth
Kecleon
Masquerain (Surfing)

Weepinbell
Pelipper
Sunkern
Spewpa
Floette
Skiploom
Breloom
Clamperl (Fishing)

Fishing:
Magikarp
Luvdisc
Alomomola

2nd gen starters- pick one from the Hiker in Hearthome City post game
3rd gen starters- pick one from Steven in Oreburgh City post game
5th gen starters- pick one from Cynthia post game
monkeys- pick one from
6th gen starters- pick one from Professor Rowan post game
Castform- receive from NPC in Pastoria
Deerling- receive one of each from from NPC in Pastoria

Cranidos/Shieldon
Omanyte/Kabuto
Aerodactyl
Anorith/Lileep
Tirtouga/Archen
Tyrunt/Amaura

Nihilego- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 223
Buzzwole- Ultra Wormhole in Floraroma Meadow (Diamond only)
Pheromosa- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 224 (Pearl only)
Xurkitree- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 222
Kartana- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 229 (Diamond only)
Celesteela- Ultra Wormhole on Iron Island (Pearl only)
Guzzlord- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 209
Blacephalon- Ultra Wormhole on Stark Mountain (Pearl only)
Stakataka- Ultra Wormhole on Rt. 207 (Diamond only)
Poipole- Gift from Saturn/Ultra Recon Squad in Galactic Veilstone Building post game

Now if you'll notice, I managed to fit these Pokemon in without any special encounter gimmicks like Pokeradar, Swarms, Great Marsh, Trophy Garden, or any new encounter methods (I did cheat a bit to make it work by stuffing in new species in Fuego Ironworks and the regular Trophy Garden encounters since there wasn't a good place for those species, so you could just make them post game areas if that really bothers you. That would suck and realistically I wouldn't do that, but Sinnoh has so many side areas you wouldn't miss it much). But this proves a point, there is plenty of room in Sinnoh for more Pokemon. Even if you don't add any new areas or gimmicks, Sinnoh is a very big region, arguably the biggest in the series, and most of its encounter tables are heavily bloated. You see certain lines spammed EVERYWHERE, and not just the usual suspects like the regional rodent and bird, Zubat, Golbat, Tentacool, but even stuff like Machoke, Medicham, and Roselia in about 10 different areas. They can easily make room for new species by trimming these out and putting in the extra species. Hell, I could probably even fit the entire National Dex in Sinnoh if I really needed to (obviously that's not happening now, but theoretically it would definitely be possible). Fitting in about 200-300 extra species is nothing, even with the dongle method no longer an option.

Last edited:
So there was a conversation on one of the other threads about whether or not they could fit in the remaining Pokemon into Sinnoh. I wanted to speculate on how exactly they could do that to prove that it's possible (also because it's fun). I'm going to fit in every Pokemon that isn't in Galar and IoA, and isn't yet confirmed for Crown Tundra (I haven't read the rumors, so I'm not going to include those).

Wow, this must have taken you a while! Nice work. Strangely enough, I've just been compiling my own speculative version of the new Sinnoh Pokedex. Here's a link to the spreadsheet:

Sinnoh Remake - Revised Pokedex

In my version, however, I've only added extra Pokemon that need to be there due to the lack of National Pokedex: Sylveon (because Eevee is in Sinnoh), Ditto (which is required to breed Phione), the original Legendary Titans (which are needed to unlock Regigigas), and all the Sinnoh Legendaries that weren't in the Sinnoh Dex before.

I made this Pokedex identical to the original one up to #108, so that Spiritomb still has that number. After that, it merges with the Platinum expansion so that the Legendaries are all together at the end.

Pokemon highlighted in blue are from the Platinum expansion, and Pokemon highlighted in red are my own additions.

In my hypothetical imagining of a Sinnoh remake, Ditto can be found in the Trophy Garden before defeating Cynthia. The Legendary Titans appear in the same locations as they did in Platinum, but don't need to be unlocked by an event Regigigas this time. Instead, they can be encountered by completing puzzles like in Hoenn, and when all three are brought to Snowpoint temple, Regigigas awakens.

If you see every Pokemon up to #210, Palkia, you are rewarded with the Oval Charm, a diploma, and the ability to visit the Battle Zone. Like in the original games, this task can be completed without trading. If you catch every Pokemon up to #217, Cresselia, you are rewarded with the Shiny Charm, a second diploma, and perhaps something really cool like a Manaphy egg.

I probably could have interspersed the Platinum Pokemon in a more organic way, but I'm not too familiar with where all the Pokemon appear in Sinnoh, so I just went with what felt like the most logical order. The Diamond and Peal Pokemon still appear in their original order in relation to each other, as do the Platinum ones.

222 is a pretty small number of Pokemon for a game, but I'd be happy with that if the rest of the game was really good. It's possible there will be some kind of expanded Pokedex in the postgame, though. They could even bring back the National Pokedex but have it include only the first 493 Pokemon, just like in the original games.

Last edited:
@Puddle Well I actually expect more than that, I just did it that way to prove a point. In reality, I do think things like the Pokeradar and the Great Marsh and the Trophy Garden will stay and there will be more species than that to have some crossover with SwSh. Ditto will probably be in, the Regis will still be there (maybe now you'll also need Regieleki and Regidrago to awaken Regigias?), and I expect the Galar starters and mascots to be obtainable but not in the Sinnoh Dex. I highly doubt it'll just be 222 Pokemon. Dexit has caused a lot of outrage among the fans and they know it, they knew it would even before they announced it to the public so the remakes probably will include everything not in SwSh.

I want Lake Guardians to be retconned to Fairy Types. Uxie and Azelf's names, Pixie, Elf, and Azelf's Japanese name has Gnome in it, creatures connected to the fey. I don't understand why they aren't Fairy type.
I guess that they don't want to retype Legendaries for whatever reason, same goes for Cresselia.

I want Lake Guardians to be retconned to Fairy Types. Uxie and Azelf's names, Pixie, Elf, and Azelf's Japanese name has Gnome in it, creatures connected to the fey. I don't understand why they aren't Fairy type.
Mesprit's name also comes from sprite, so yeah, fairy would be fitting given their names. I'd be fine with GameFreak retyping them or just giving them an alternate form.

So I was thinking about features that have been dropped from past games and it made me remember, the Poketch had a lot of apps that had useful QoL features that sadly got dropped in 5th gen. IDK how they'll manage to make the Poketch work without a touch screen, but I'd very much like some of them back. Apps like the Friendship Checker, Day Care Checker, and Pedometer were highly useful and frankly never should've been dropped to begin with and I'd like to see them retained. Maybe they could drop some of the less useful ones like the Calculator, the various clocks and timers, and drawing apps since they're not really as needed, but the ones that help you keep track of various gameplay elements need to stay. They could also potentially add new ones, like the IV Judge or some type of online app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom