• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN030: The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd

I might have been more accepting of this episode's conflict if it were... y'know, consistent with previous episodes. Pikachu didn't openly complain when Greninja practically replaced him as the ace during most of XYZ, so why in the world would he start having issues now? He also didn't pout when Ash had other baby Pokémon in his team either, such as Phanpy, Scraggy, and Noibat. This whole jealousy plot was just so freaking stupid.

And the subject of such random, forced jealousy? Of course it's Riolu. I knew giving Ash that Pokémon would spawn some ugh writing somewhere.

Anyone else amused Riolu beats an Electabuzz on his first try? No wonder Pikachu is afraid he's going to be replaced.

Anyone else finds it funny that Tony is higher ranked than Visquez is, but she is the replacement gym leader instead of him.
Technically speaking, a Gym Leader's job is to lose to enough people for the Pokémon league to have a decent number of competitors, but not so many it's overcrowded, so they can't be too strong. ;)

Edit: I should probably say something about the Spearow callback but I honestly don't know what to other than wondering if it's the same flock and they're all thinking "oh no not again".

Last edited:
Ignoring how ridiculously out of character Pikachu was, it wasn't a bad episode.

Nice to see Mimey get some time to shine, just wish it had been left with Delia where it belongs

Loved seeing Delia again and acting like a proper mum, the scene with her and Pikachu in bed was cute

I didn't wait for subs this time since I thought dialogue would be less important for this one. Ash ignoring Pikachu seemed forced but everything else was good. That hitchhiker looked suspiciously like an older Ash.

I was worried about this episode being bad but I actually really enjoyed it, tbh. There were some things that could’ve been done better, though.

Pikachu was OOC, even though I see what they were trying to step up in the past episodes, the jealously should’ve been built up more especially since they had Riolu purposefully stealing Pikachu’s battles by either pushing him out of the way or popping out of his ball but we didn’t get Pikachu’s reactions to either of those moments.

Go is still keeping Sobble around and Sobble actually left Sakuragi Park and stayed on his back, so I’m not too worried about him not showing up, but he didn’t have any speaking role in the episode. Also, SOBBLE SLEEPING IN A BED. VERY CUTE.

Galarian Farfetch’d returned but he didn’t last long, I hope him and Riolu are treated as equals and he isn’t just there to make Riolu stronger. Go training with Ash was a nice touch, them training together is something I want more of.

Koharu was the first one to tell that Pikachu was jealous and brought up Yamper’s jealousy.

Delia was great in this episode. She’s so nice to everyone, and I like that her relationship with Pikachu was touched upon since they’ve always liked each other but due to Delia only showing up every so often it’s hard to get a lot of moments between them.

Mr. Mime keeps getting better this series. His personality is amazing, especially now that they’re actually giving him screentime. He tries to stop Pikachu but once he knows Pikachu won’t come back he goes the entire way to make sure Pikachu has someone by his side.

The call-back to episode one with Pikachu jumping off of Mr. Mime’s shoulder being what reminded him of all he and Ash have been through was unexpected and very satisfied to see recreated, and it makes sense considering they were probably on the same route where the Spearow lived.

I wish we got to see Ash’s side of things, at least a little, realizing he’d been too preoccupied with Riolu to train with Pikachu (though I also think he needs to train Dragonite and Gengar as well), and have him looking for him. Ash was smart enough to know that Pikachu would go back home.

Another thing I wished to see was Riolu and Pikachu talking to each other over what just happened. If Riolu and Pikachu are going to be a duo this whole series, they’re gonna need a big bond.

The comedy was good and Ash and Pikachu’s reunion almost made me shed a tear. I was worried about this episode, but besides some minor issues, I really liked it, but that’s pretty much my feelings on a lot of episodes.

I enjoyed this episode for what it was. Some thoughts:
-To me it was more like Pikachu felt ignored by Ash than he was jealous. The feeling of getting ignored is terrible, even though it's your best friend.

- I agree with people saying this episode would be better with an unexperienced duo (Go and Raboot for example) than with Ash and Pikachu

- Delia was fantastic in this episode. I think this was one of her better appearances.

- Mr Mime is the memelord of this generation and it's great

- There were a lot of heartwarming and touching moments in this episode and I liked the callback to the first episode.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see Sobble still running around. I guess he'll basically be like Ash's Riolu.

In regards to Tony, I don't think he has an especially high rank. There are no rules that state that the scrubs and the masters can't fight each other, so Tony is probably still a Normal class trainer. It would explain why Ash's rank didn't rise up especially high.

*I made a joke after the preview that maybe only human-shape Pokémon would be able to hitchhike, but it seems I got it reversed!
To be honest, between a Mr. Mime and a Pikachu the former seems a lot more likely to be one of those highway muggers.
*That smirk Pikachu gives after shocking Ash at the end reminds me of those creepy murder smiles he'd give TR in the original series at times.
*Hopefully Ash will stop (off-screen) at Oak's before leaving for Vermilion City the next morning so he can properly say bye to everyone there (something I didn't think about until a fanfic pointed it out the other day).

If Go was at Ash’s house, and especially sleeping in Ash’s room, is there any way Go didn’t see all of Ash’s badges and trophies?
The scene seemed carefully shot to keep them all off-screen.

Last edited:
I actually really enjoyed this episode, in fact it may be the first in this series in which I was so fully invested that I didn't check the time even once whilst watching it.

I understand why many of you are upset with the premise, although I'm not sure I agree that it was completely implausible. Has no one else been in a scenario where a long-term, best friend who you've weathered every storm with, develops an interest in a third person who kinda rubs you up the wrong way, and your bff can't really see that, and they don't notice you're upset, and they spend more and more time with that other person until you lose it? I've been in this situation TWICE!!

Not just cuz I hate that shill-dog line, but Riolu is an annoying little shit who I can't blame Pikachu for not loving unconditionally as he has with the other newborns. Satoshi was also insensitive af - maybe some of Go's thick skin is rubbing off onto him? So Pikachu just took a hike, and by the time he'd made it back to Masara Town he'd walked it off and was ready to turn back and go home to Satoshi!

Anyway, enough time wasted defending the premise. Long story short, I didn't mind it in the context of the episode. Pikachu, Barrierd and Hanako really were the stars and there were a lot of heartfelt moments. I for one am glad to see Pikachu regain a little of his early days sass, without which he's pretty boring.

meanwhile I'm just here casually enjoying the silly adventures and interactions in this episode, and squeaking over how cute Delia and Pikachu are omg. they are the most precious???

Ed12PV-U8AQocvc

I'm glad to see Sobble still running around. I guess he'll basically be like Ash's Riolu.

In regards to Tony, I don't think he has an especially high rank. There are no rules that state that the scrubs and the masters can't fight each other, so Tony is probably still a Normal class trainer. It would explain why Ash's rank didn't rise up especially high.
That feels like an insult to Riolu since it actually does things other than act as fancy window dressing:p

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom