• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances right now that we might finally be able to end this disastrous nightmare of a presidency?

Sure, Trump is a nightmare, but he's not the only one responsible for the current crisis. During these past four years the Republican party has been transformed into his cult, and even now there are multiple Qanon nutjobs wining GOP primaries.

It's not just Trump that needs to be defeated, Trumpism itself needs to be rejected too.

View: https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday/status/1284848358625030146

Last edited:
I actually had a nightmare last night, and so I figured I might as well post it here.

It was November, and Joe Biden had won the election. But because a lot of people had stayed home due to coronavirus concerns as well as a general lack of enthusiasm for either candidate, it was a much closer race in many states than the polling right now suggests.

Don Jr. and several of Trump's other cronies immediately filed lawsuit in Pennsylvania and a couple other swing states he lost, calling for a recount. As some paid-off GOP operatives snuck in & deleted a fraction of a percentage point worth of Biden votes off their computers, Trump won re-election after all after the "recounts". Biden refused to concede, but with a 5-4 Conservative majority in the Supreme Court, there was no way his appeal was going to succeed.

Are you sure you're not misremembering what happened with Nicolas Maduro? Because this sounds extremely similar to what he did. Even the people he hired to count the votes said there was something suspicious.

Of the 6 major swing states that will likely decide the election, Democrats have total control over the election process in 4 of them and partial control in one other. So, if something fishy happens, we’ll know it.
Also, many states have specific rules on when recounts can be requested. (For example, North Carolina only allows it if the final margin is fewer than 10K votes)

Hopefully in 101 days we can wake up and finally say the nightmare is over. I know technically if Biden wins, he won't be in office until January 2021 and Trump still could do a lot of damage, but it will at least be nice to wake up on November 4th and know Trump isn't getting 4 more years.

Last edited:
Hopefully in 101 days we can wake up and finally say the nightmare is over. I know technically if Biden wins, he won't be in office until January 2021 and Trump still could do a lot of damage, but it will at least be nice to wake up on November 4th and know Trump isn't getting 4 more years.
Are you sure it will be that soon assuming a lot of people vote by mail? I was thinking of trying to do that if I can to save me from having to wait at the polls and potentially be around a lot of people with Corona still being around. I do think Corona is gonna make this election a bit difficult in general and people may not really want to expoose themselves to the virus.

I'm going to be voting by mail-in. But I live in a solid red state so it's not like vote will count at all. =(

Yes, a high mail-in count could make this election go on longer. But hopefully Trump's loss is able to be declared pretty early on. If the current polls keep up and translate into the election, that could indeed happen.

Biden could name his running mate as soon as next week. Any predictions?

Those 3 plus a likely flip in Colorado gets the Democrats to at least 50. (I’m assuming we lose Doug Jones in Alabama)
Yeah, and we could get 51 through Iowa and/or Montana.

Rumours are starting to spread that Kamala Harris will be chosen as VP. Politico had to retract an article prematurely announcing her.
Wouldn't make too much out of that. I'm sure all the outlets have something written up for each possibility. That said, I do think Harris is the favorite; there's too much smoke for there not to be fire at this point.

Yes, a high mail-in count could make this election go on longer.
I could be misreading this, but I don't think the intent with mail-in ballots is to send them on election day. It has to be sent a few weeks at the very least, otherwise it is entirely possible that the "late" ballots will not be counted. And I have no doubt in my mind that the current administration would discredit "late" ballots.

That said, I have a concern that many misinformed people will be sending their ballots right on election day.

And so it begins.

(Trump is Tweeting that the election will be too 'fraudulent' and is calling for a delay to the election.)

That doesn't mean that anything can really happen, but it is problematic for him to say this.

Last edited:
And so it begins.

(Trump is Tweeting that the election will be too 'fraudulent' and is calling for a delay to the election.)

That doesn't mean that anything can really happen, but it is problematic for him to say this.
Even though such a thing does not mean that he will get to stay in office. By the word of the 20th Amendment, the President will be out of office on noon on January 21st. If there is no incoming President, then the Speaker of the House (Nancy Pelosi) will become acting President until a true President is elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom