• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Kecleon can learn Camouflage as of OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire. It was very dumb that it took them that long, though.

now we need to wait for sobble line with it, then a fast change of type with terrain
and it could get interesting with misty terrain and a dragon immunity there.

If only it could interact with terrain and weather at the same time and make user a dual type pokemon too.... somehow...

hmm Falinks with Arm thrust, Barrage, pin missile, spike canon???? beat up is cool but only one multistrike move??? come on
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pyukumuku- aqua ring, aqua jet, water gun, flip turn sucker punch to not waste that good physical stats it has...
pinchuring has better moves then it.

Shedinja learning in future U-turn or Partying shot? First Impression? Taking how many new moves and fast pokemon we got now?

Last edited:
To this day I'm still surprised that Heracross can't learn any other Bug moves outside of Megahorn and Pin Missile. Why is that? At least let it have something like U-Turn, especially since it no longer has a Mega to abuse in Gen 8, thus the multi-hit moves its Mega used are less reliable. U-Turn would be really good for Heracross, especially since it's a good momentum tool (and great for getting out of bad matchups while chipping your opponent in the process). Or at least give it X-Scissor so it has a decent 100% accuracy Bug move, since Megahorn's shaky accuracy can be a deterrent at times. I mean, really, giving a Mon only one or two moves that match its type (outside of ones like Magikarp and early bugs/cocoons) is pretty bad, especially if those moves are learned at later levels.

To this day I'm still surprised that Heracross can't learn any other Bug moves outside of Megahorn and Pin Missile. Why is that? At least let it have something like U-Turn, especially since it no longer has a Mega to abuse in Gen 8, thus the multi-hit moves its Mega used are less reliable. U-Turn would be really good for Heracross, especially since it's a good momentum tool (and great for getting out of bad matchups while chipping your opponent in the process). Or at least give it X-Scissor so it has a decent 100% accuracy Bug move, since Megahorn's shaky accuracy can be a deterrent at times. I mean, really, giving a Mon only one or two moves that match its type (outside of ones like Magikarp and early bugs/cocoons) is pretty bad, especially if those moves are learned at later levels.

even if mega returns in remake 4 generation or next generations it should get that option taking that bUg is one of the weakest types.
especially fighting/bug

Shuckle(total stats 505) , Shedinja(236) and Heracros(500) should get all U-turn taking that something like Dragapult got it...

Shuckle could get a Scout role to take a hit and run or use one toxic/torment/infestation/entry hazard now and one later, with Gluttony would work quite well and if oponent chose self to switch out in that turn it's out you get a fresh start. Especially if trick room ends or you would get Power trick on working and need back up for later... taking it has steel roller and can destroy terrains means it could become even more if it gets U-turn.

Shedinja the same, when you want it to have for later and dont want to waste a turn or you feel your oponent is gonna switch on the same turn?
it has already hard with so many fast pokemon and a chance that they learn a dark, ghost, fire, flying or rock moves to take it out.

the same with Flip Turn... Samuotrr, Feraligatr, Empoleon, taking Blastoise got it... come on... Swampert is a swimmer...Carracosta, Alomomola?
Corsola, Slowbro line?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Interesting that no pokemon with Regenerator abiliity got Flip Turn... only Mienshao with U-turn...
partying shot also isn't learned by any pokemon with Regenerator?

I would suggest Eldegos , Reuniclus, Tangrowth , Slowking for Partying Shot...

Reuniclus and Galarian Slowbro for Volt Switch... cells and energy,

Destiny Bond: Decidueye( ghost type and its speed), Polteageist

Last edited:
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan should, at most, have access to every kicking/punching move that has existed or will exist. Perhaps exceptions could be made for legendary or mythical signature moves like Thunderous Kick and Plasma Fists, but there's no justification around for not having things like Trop Kick, Triple Kick, Shadow Punch, or Meteor Mash. These Pokémon are quite literally conceptualized as the definitive masters of kicking and punching.

For a comment about a specific move, Umbreon and Darkrai should get to learn Moonblast. It doesn't seem right at all that these two Pokémon with ties to the moon can't learn a move called Moonblast where the user is "borrowing power from the moon". This is even more egregious in Darkrai's case because its counterpart Cresselia can learn this move.

Last edited:
Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan should, at most, have access to every kicking/punching move that has existed or will exist. Perhaps exceptions could be made for legendary or mythical signature moves like Thunderous Kick and Plasma Fists, but there's no justification around for not having things like Trop Kick, Triple Kick, Shadow Punch, or Meteor Mash. These Pokémon are quite literally conceptualized as the definitive masters of kicking and punching.
I think Triple Kick was forbidden at first so that Hitmontop could have something special (at least until Pheromosa came into the scene).

On the flip side of the coin, why not some Megahorn love for the 500 BST beetle which only has a single STAB? Pinsir's initial gimmick was being the Bug-type with Fighting moves, but that got blown out of the water pretty quickly and the comparison has been woefully one-sided ever since. X-Scissor's grass may look greener from the other side of the fence but 80 base power is fairly pitiful these days, and Megahorn still outperforms over several turns even with misses taken into account - and don't get me started on how juicy STAB Close Combat is. I've seen the argument made that Pinsir's horns are antlers and thus not suited to the move, to which my response is to gesture at Stantler and Sawsbuck with gritted teeth.

Mega Pinsir was a shaft of light in an unforgiving world, but A: as we've established, it no longer exists at present, and B: even if it did return, GF has ironically removed Return from the game and thus significantly neutered Mega Pinsir anyway.

I'm not bitter. I said, I'm not. Bitter.

Ferraligatr learning Avalanche? would take away that ice move for sure...

Jaw Lock, scale shot are moves for it not.

generaly cant get why Inteleon got ice moves instead of poison here... realy dont get it... to many trolls want a water/ice starter to see if they do it and then would complaine about it... I get ice with primarina, samuotrr but the rest of water starters dont feel this way actually. There should be rather a water move

Braviary should be able to learn Surf.

with wind right? making a wave you mean with wind, maybe new water move with decreased priority Tidal Wave?
maybe Dive in water and comming out too?

Last edited:
with wind right?
No. If I remember correctly, bald eagles primarily eat fish and water fowl, as they are sea eagles. If the prey is too large to take off with, they’ll swim to shore with it in their talons (I think that’s what’s going on in the video I linked). I have a link to a video that better illustrates this, but it is quite graphic as you see the eagle eat a mudhen so uh...

I think Braviary should learn Surf not because it can make waves, but because its real world counterpart has swimming capabilities.

did you all saw this?

No. If I remember correctly, bald eagles primarily eat fish and water fowl, as they are sea eagles. If the prey is too large to take off with, they’ll swim to shore with it in their talons (I think that’s what’s going on in the video I linked). I have a link to a video that better illustrates this, but it is quite graphic as you see the eagle eat a mudhen so uh...

I think Braviary should learn Surf not because it can make waves, but because its real world counterpart has swimming capabilities.

regional water/flying form? Braviary looks like mountain eagle more... but maybe you are right here but should Dive not be a option more then surf? bc thats rather swiming then surfing.

makes me think if Incinearoar:
could get Dive and Grassy Glide and how would it impact it and other pokemon?
Its a tiger they are known to be fast in grass and can actually swim... would buff Incineroars taking its speed stats and typing...

aqua jet would be too not fitting but Dive? Surf? Rampardos and Rhyperior got that then why not a tiger?

next gen would need to make only more moves hit dive users during the semi turn then surf and whirlpool...
Anchor Shot and maybe a flying move? Sky Drop would be fitting here to grab from water a pokemon...
Earth Power to hit under water, its a beam from ground? Rock Tomb or Rock blast ???

Dhelmise and Dive???? why was this not made ???

Last edited:
I feel like Purrloin and Liepard should be able to learn Shadow Sneak as it's a dark sneaky move and they're dark sneaky cats, and because cats puff up their body as an intimidation tactic, which creates a bigger shadow. This could be seen as them extending their shadow.

------------------------------------------​

Braviary looks like mountain eagle more...
I’m not really certain what constitutes a mountain eagle. Bald eagles could technically be mountain eagles as they live near any large body of water, including mountainous lakes. As seen in this map, the range of the bald eagle extends pretty far from the sea and over several mountain ranges. To my understanding, sea eagle is basically a more common name for a member of the genus Haliaeetus, not specifically an eagle that lives by the ocean. At any rate, Braviary has a distinctively white head, which is a trait several sea eagles have (unfortunately no white tail though :/ ). I believe Sanford’s sea eagle has a white head but lacks the distinctive white tail that most sea eagles have. Braviary has a yellow beak too, which I’ve read is common in sea eagles but is more rare in non-Haliaeetus eagles.

So, I think giving Braviary a Water/Flying regional variant would be a bit redundant as its design seems to be rather in line with actual sea eagles, at least appearance-wise.
makes me think if Incinearoar:
could get Dive and Grassy Glide and how would it impact it and other pokemon?
Its a tiger they are known to be fast in grass and can actually swim... would buff Incineroars taking its speed stats and typing...
Dive and Grassy Glide are two moves that I could sorta see on a tiger Pokémon, Grassy Glide to a lesser extent because all Pokémon who can learn it are either part Grass or incorporate plants into their design (Comfey and Sirfetch’d). However, I feel that Incineroar’s design is too tied to fire for those two moves to work with it. A wrestler in a flaming tiger fursuit doesn't seem to be good at diving or slinking through grass in my opinion.

I think Power Whip would be a nice "weird move" (like Emboar's water type move.. was it brine or scald?). The Alola starters have a circus theme and Tigers and Lions have that circus association with whips. It’d be ironic to see a Tiger actually using a whip instead of (unfortunately) being on the opposite end. It compliments it’s wrestling and brute fighting motif well. It makes more sense to me than Gyarados and Seismitoad at least.

Dive and Grassy Glide are two moves that I could sorta see on a tiger Pokémon, Grassy Glide to a lesser extent because all Pokémon who can learn it are either part Grass or incorporate plants into their design (Comfey and Sirfetch’d). However, I feel that Incineroar’s design is too tied to fire for those two moves to work with it. A wrestler in a flaming tiger fursuit doesn't seem to be good at diving or slinking through grass in my opinion.

Emboar and Scald? Cinderace and Scorching sand? fire types that learn Solar Beam...
design? tigers are fast in jungle bc they use Camouflage... a move a tige also should get...
I dont think plants should be as much important as the animal motive here...

Grassy Glide works only fast on grassy terrain remember that. And power wise would work well.
Dive would also fit... and make it diffrent from other starters. Taking its speed, stats and that dark gave it more weaknesses then immunity in comparence to others...

Primarina learned Energy ball , would give her Burning jeealousy maybe?

Delphox learned Rain Dance and Solarbeam, Grass Knot... would give her whirlpool or scald too or Aqua tail for joke that she can create water with magic.... or Liquidation with her wand.... taking witch and magic motive here... foxes swim too...

Charizard , Typhlosion, Blaziken get all Solar beam, weird that Typhlosion didnt get grass knot or a water move here... taking Inferan ape and Emboar did.... Emboar and Scald... both with Incineroar are slow,

Emboar got 2 grass and a water move

Sceptile I would give Flame Burst and maybe Liquidation... taking it dragon like nature here only... maybe could get a water spitting move actually?

Serperior got Aqua Tail maybe Burning Jealousy could be there?

Empoleon learns grass knot...

I know design is important but also animal and nature coalition like grass learning water, dragon like lizards getting some fire power....

weird that some water type starters dont get absorb or giga drain here... at least some of them swampert would fit it and primarina too actually.

Taking Blastoise cannons and energy manipulation to ice attacks should be able to use maybe Heat wave or flame burst with those Cannons?
that or learn shell trap? energy ball too should be posibble here?

Chesnaught maybe not fire but Liquidation should be there for it... use like a sword like in the anime... taking grass consumes and maintaines water...

Decidueye , a archer and ghost would suggest maybe that it should learn water shuriken or snipe shot in future
hmm no water pokemon learns actually a fire damage dealing move by now... only some learn grass ... something for a future generation for sure... if they create water/fighting blaze kick or fire fang , water/poison or water/electric starter then for sure

weird Intelleon is a lizard maybe give it some fire move here taking its Snipe shot? flame burst or fire lash with its tail?

no grass type learns a fire type damage dealing move

some pokemon could be outside the box in future too. taking speed , typing and stats... animal, motive and nature afiliation...

Last edited:
hmm no water pokemon learns actually a fire damage dealing move by now...
Just want to say that Slowbro and Slowking do in fact learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast, for reasons I do not know. Gyarados learns those moves too, because of its draconic origins (dragons breathe fire).

Just want to say that Slowbro and Slowking do in fact learn Flamethrower and Fire Blast, for reasons I do not know. Gyarados learns those moves too, because of its draconic origins (dragons breathe fire).
now question if Inteleon and Feraligatr should get something... Feraligatr fire fang? Inteleon fire lash? both would make sense actually.

Typhlosion would be so much better if it got Earth Power and Thunderbolt. The poor boi was robbed. Pure fire, no decent coverage and the exact same stat spread as Charizard.

On a side note, we need more fire starters who are viable as special attackers. Both fire starters for that role are mediocre (Typhlosion and Delphox). Mega Charizard Y was Sun Team viable but we know what happened to it. Infernape can pull off a mixed set but it’s best run with close combat. Incineroar, Blaziken, Emboar and Cinderace are completely physical.

On a side note, we need more fire starters who are viable as special attackers. Both fire starters for that role are mediocre (Typhlosion and Delphox). Mega Charizard Y was Sun Team viable but we know what happened to it. Infernape can pull off a mixed set but it’s best run with close combat. Incineroar, Blaziken, Emboar and Cinderace are completely physical.
Really? Regular Charizard is viable on sun teams, with Solar Power. Blaziken can also occasionally run mixed sets, if not outright going 100% special, if I'm not mistaken. But yeah, more Fire-type special attackers would be great to see.

Back
Top Bottom