• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mundetyu, an evolved form of Mimikyu

LoyalAngel282

Reaction score
I love Mimikyu and it became one of my favorite Pokemon when I first learned about their depressing lives. I wanted to make a way they could be able to live a good, happy life being with friends without hiding in their disguises. So, my idea of Mundetyu was born! This is an idea that I hope to pass on to people who can use it to create their own ideas!

Mundetyu is a Mimikyu that evolved into a new form. “Mundet” is Latin for "cleanse". As many know, a Mimikyu is a ghost/fairy type Pokemon that disguises itself to look like a Pikachu in order to make friends. But if someone sees its true form, the individual dies from shock. The life of a Mimikyu is sad as they devote themselves to hiding under their disguised rags to avoid anyone seeing them and dying from their terrifying appearance. But, there is hope for this Pokemon that deserves love from others.
There is a rare stone called “CleanseSoul Stone” and when a Mimikyu is given this stone, it evolves into Mundetyu. You can say this evolution acts more like a resurrection since Mimikyus were ghost/fairy types and when turned into Mundetyu, they become psychic/fairy types.
And since the appearance of a Mundetyu is changed, they have no need to wear their old disguises (except on fun Halloween nights). Mimikyus are known as the “Disguise Pokémon”, but since Mundetyus don’t need disguises and no longer have their cursed forms, they are known as the “Cleansed Pokemon”. And since Mimikyu’s appearance changed when evolved into Mundetyu, Mimikyu’s appearance will always remain a mystery!
As for their personalities, Mundetyus are always grateful that they evolved from their sad state and in return, they do good deeds. They become heroic towards Pokémon and humans and will use their great powers to protect them. They are never shy to show themselves to others and will always make themselves stand out. They are also very sympathetic to Pokemon who lived through hard lives and will make friends with them. And what makes it ironic is that while some Mimikyus are jealous toward Pikachus, Mundetyus loves Pikachus the most! You can say Mundetyu is the opposite version of Mimikyu! And when people and Pokemon find out that this loving Pokemon was once a Mimikyu, they will realize that they aren't monsters, but Pokemon that just wants to be loved. This will make people be more caring towards Mimikyu and will welcome them into their families.

I’m not sure what abilities to give Mundetyu, so I’ll leave that open to you. (PereBonbon from Reddit gave some ideas I liked that's quoted below)

I’m not skilled at creating Pokemon art, so I encourage you to make fan art of Mundetyu. (PereBonbon also suggested a design idea I liked that's quoted below)

You have my permission to make your own stories of Mundetyu, just credit me for the idea. I hope you create original characters of Mundetyu inspired by their backstory! I’m open to any artwork and stories you create of Mundetyu!

I hope you liked my idea of Mundetyu, an evolved Mimikyu that can leave behind their hard lives and make the friends they wanted. I hope this inspires you to create fan art, and stories of Mundetyu! What are your thoughts?

PereBonbon on Reddit gave a great idea I want to share:

"I think Mimikyu's Ability is Disguise. Works similarly to Substitute (except only with one attack).
Why not something like Unveil? Instead of using the cloak for protection, why not make it generate raw light instead, as it is no longer hiding? It could have a 15% chance to induce a 20% inaccuracy debuff to Pokemon that are lower leveled, to show that it has moved beyond

Also, in terms of design, what if the cloak was worn as a cape now?

Sword: Instead of wishing it was popular like Pikachu, it has embraced its nature. Law enforcement individuals tend to rely on Mundetyu
Shield: It serves to protect, as it doesn't want other Pokemon to suffer like it has. A blinding light flashes from inside of its cape"

Last edited:
The idea of Mimikyu unmasking itself and evolving is interesting, but overall I'm not a fan of this evolution idea in particular.

I think one of my bigger issues with this is that it essentially takes what makes Mimikyu unique and interesting (and so beloved by the fandom), and drops it in favor of what strikes me as a Gardevoir/Gallade clone flavor-wise (heroic and kind Psyhichc/Fairy type). And it doesn't come across as a satisfying evolution that builds upon what Mimikyu set up. Like we have a lonely being that evolves through cleansing its soul, and suddenly becomes this heroic 'mon that selflessly helps others. I don't really see the link between going from lonely to heroic (I also think this has some unfortunate implications). Like, I know that it's explained because of its gratefulness, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Also, the evolution method strikes me as bit weird. Just the idea of "cleansing" Mimikyu of its terrifying appearance is something I'm not too keen on. The Pokemon isn't evil, and I don't think its appearance is the result of any curse--it just happens to be look like an Eldritch Abomination. Lastly, there's this running theme in the OP that Mimikyu are all miserable and suffering, but I don't see it that way. I just think it's a lonely Pokemon that wants some friends (and considering how popular it is, I think it's got a bunch).

The idea of Mimikyu unmasking itself and evolving is interesting, but overall I'm not a fan of this evolution idea in particular.

I think one of my bigger issues with this is that it essentially takes what makes Mimikyu unique and interesting (and so beloved by the fandom), and drops it in favor of what strikes me as a Gardevoir/Gallade clone flavor-wise (heroic and kind Psyhichc/Fairy type). And it doesn't come across as a satisfying evolution that builds upon what Mimikyu set up. Like we have a lonely being that evolves through cleansing its soul, and suddenly becomes this heroic 'mon that selflessly helps others. I don't really see the link between going from lonely to heroic (I also think this has some unfortunate implications). Like, I know that it's explained because of its gratefulness, but it just doesn't sit right with me. Also, the evolution method strikes me as bit weird. Just the idea of "cleansing" Mimikyu of its terrifying appearance is something I'm not too keen on. The Pokemon isn't evil, and I don't think its appearance is the result of any curse--it just happens to be look like an Eldritch Abomination. Lastly, there's this running theme in the OP that Mimikyu are all miserable and suffering, but I don't see it that way. I just think it's a lonely Pokemon that wants some friends (and considering how popular it is, I think it's got a bunch).

It seems like Mimikyu are suffering to me when I read the Pokedex entries. Read these for example; "If its neck is broken or its rag is torn during an attack, it works through the night to patch it.", "After going to all the effort of disguising itself, its neck was broken. Whatever is inside is probably unharmed, but it's still feeling sad.", "It stands in front of a mirror, trying to fix its broken neck as if its life depended on it. It has a hard time getting it right, so it's crying inside.", "Sad that its true identity may be exposed, Mimikyu will mercilessly seek revenge on any opponent that breaks its neck." Also, it just seems sad that it needs to wear an old rag to hide its true appearance that can even cause people and Pokemon to die. And after reading entries like this, "Although it's a quiet, lonely Pokémon, if you try to look at what's under its rag, it will become agitated and resist violently.", "There will be no forgiveness for any who reveal that it was pretending to be Pikachu. It will bring the culprit down, even at the cost of its own life.", I see them as being frustrated when their disguise is damaged because the Mimikyu worked so hard on it. And they're also frustrated because they are afraid that their true form is revealed and will be known to others, who may become afraid of the Mimkiyu, losing their chance to make any friends and be forever alone. You can read more of its Pokedex entries here: Mimikyu (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.

So I do see their true appearance as being a curse (metaphorically speaking) and is something that blocks them from making friends. I wanted to make an evolution that can bring them out of their depressing lives but as an option. That's why I chose the method to be an evolution stone that can be given to a Mimikyu if the trainer (or Pokemon) wishes to. And I believe they would change to become more heroic when they are lead out of their hard lives. They want to be friends with others and when they make friends, I'm sure they would do anything to protect them, especially if they helped the Mimikyu to evolve into Mundetyu. And after some thought, Mundetyu can still be ghost/fairy types since it would make sense. I love the mystery of Mimikyu's true form and its one of the things that makes it so popular, so I kept it a mystery when it evolves into a new form. I think its evolution is an interesting twist from hiding in the shadows, to being known as a hero. And when people and Pokemon find out that this loving Pokemon was once a Mimikyu, they will realize that they aren't monsters, but Pokemon that just wants to be loved.

But I love how you said since Mimikyu is so popular, it has a bunch of friends! They do have a lot of fans and I'm one of them!
And I'm still opened to any ideas and opinions you may have.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom