• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN031: Hinbass's Beautiful Scale

I ended up missing the first half of the episode because the stream I was watching kept freezing up. But from what I could gather from the remaining part, it seemed like quite a dialogue heavy episode with Koharu being in focus a lot more and having that little realization at the end... AND traveling with the boys to other regions so this is a BIG positive. The negative on the other hand was TRio's unnecessary, wasted, forced and arbitrary appearance that was added just for the sake of putting in some conflict. It's absolutely insulting how they've been utilized so far. Oh yeah, also bad world building since that hardly looked anything like Slateport City and might have very well been an anime exclusive location with the way it was presented.

On a side note, does anyone else dislike the evolution animation the newer series' have done with the jelly/fluid nature of it? For all its faults, I actually liked the way evolution was done in BW, with the Pokemon actually 'growing' out to their next form.

Now we just need to endure a streak of Goh episodes.

Last edited:
Great episode and to finally see Koharu travelled with the Boys to the Slateport of Hoenn for the children compeition. Also, although I agree Team Rocket shouldn't be in the episode. But, the concept of building the concept on targetting little children compeition is just really unacceptable. None the less, good part about the episode for the character of the day training with her Feebas that ended up evolve into Milotic. Despite, the compeition rush it up.

Overall rating: B-

Really this was just your typical cookie-cutter filler episode. But as cookie-cutter filler episodes go this was reasonably decent with Koharu getting involved and stepping ever closer to her hopeful transition to main cast member, interacting well with Ash and Gou and putting her big sister skills on full display and I look forward to seeing what she had to say when the subtitles come out. Also nice to see Messon still around with no crying gag and seeing Kikuna and Renji offer their input is always fun and I hope one day that they each get focus episodes so we can see more of what they do away from the lab.

That was the good. Now for the not quite so good...
Team Rocket were of the bad 'filler villain' variety, were totally pointless and added nothing to the episode. There's no reason why we couldn't have got a better climax without them where Feebas wins the contest under its own merits, maybe with someone recognizing that it has a Prism Scale and offering to do a touch trade for it so it can evolve only for Nami to decline because she loves Feebas the way it is or something like that. Also that instant catch of the Wingull was bad because it also added nothing and just served to add another instant PokéBall catch probably few people wanted to see. Literally all they would have to do is give him a supply of Quick Balls to use when they want him to insta-catch something so it's at least a modicum more believable and 99.9% of issues I have with the mechanic will go away, at least when it's something with a decent catch rate like most of the fodder he catches.

Geez I love Team Rocket but why even include them in a Water themed episode and not even use the Water type they own?! Chewtle's only appeared twice and they clearly intend on evolving the thing, please don't keep it away until it evolves... :/

Also Ash wanting to compete but being unable to just felt like a jab towards those of us that wanted him to get Sobble.... while Goh who owns several had no interest, really shows you who the better character is.

Now for next week's episode where it's just the antagonist-sorry, the 'co' protagonist and no Ash -_-

It was only a matter of time before Goh was revealed to have caught the White flower Flabébé. I called it somewhere but I imagine a lot of people did.

I think Goh’s Big Magikarpmust have eaten the other one.

correct me if I’m wrong, but did Ash get super excited about this contest until the professors assistant reminded him he had no water type Pokémon - because that should definitely annoy people.

Riolu’s streak of appearances is over.

Nice episode though, good to see a lot of Pokémon that don’t get much time to shine in action. Milotic is always a win.

Also Ash wanting to compete but being unable to just felt like a jab towards those of us that wanted him to get Sobble.... while Goh who owns several had no interest, really shows you who the better character is.

That makes it even worse and is a potential hint that none of his older Water types will return either or is a hint towards his next capture. Cramorant incoming.

That makes it even worse and is a potential hint that none of his older Water types will return either or is a hint towards his next capture. Cramorant incoming.
Oh boy. If he gets Cramorant, they're really gonna hammer down the "Ha ha, Cramorant is eating Pikachu joke" until it stops being funny. Seems more up James's ally and would be so perfect for him if it wasn't for that crappy Gacha machine denying them everything.

I guess they'll get it from the machine once and then it'll be Thanos'd out of existence like what seems to have happened with Chewtle.

Anyone else seen five flabébé at the park? It indicates that Go has catched the white one as well..!

The five flabébé can be seen floating near the tree.
Screenshot_20200802-160722_YouTube.jpg

Writers: Lets let Ash wanting to enter, but say he doesn't have a Water type
Also Writers: Lets rub salt in the wound by letting a Kingler appear on as Gatcha mon in the same episode

Them retconning the evolution method and let the Prism Scale be used like an evolution stone is interesting, since it means there is no trade required for Goh in order to get Scizor and Politoed.

correct me if I’m wrong, but did Ash get super excited about this contest until the professors assistant reminded him he had no water type Pokémon - because that should definitely annoy people.
Writers: Lets let Ash wanting to enter, but say he doesn't have a Water type
Also Writers: Lets rub salt in the wound by letting a Kingler appear on as Gatcha mon in the same episode
I was soo pissed when couldn't participate while he had a bunch of water types under his ownership . He could have used any of those
I'm 99% certain that Ash wasn't able to participate because he's too old, not because he didn't have a Water-type Pokemon.

Just one thing , I am gonna consider this a reboot coz of absolutely zero continuity. I was soo pissed when couldn't participate while he had a bunch of water types under his ownership . He could have used any of those
Plus really rubs salt into the wound that is them giving Go Sobble again especially since Ash would have definitely entered if he had it. Meanwhile despite this being a chance to do something with it at least, Go has no interest in entering. And even if it could be argued that this was about the CotD, wouldn’t be the first time that a main character entered a competition while not being the focus.

Just one thing , I am gonna consider this a reboot coz of absolutely zero continuity. I was soo pissed when couldn't participate while he had a bunch of water types under his ownership . He could have used any of those
I must have missed the part where he used reserves in XY or SM. I'd say that a league is a better incentive than a minor competition (with zero battles) that was clearly all about Feebas.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom