• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think someone has named themselves after a Pokémon?

KaylaBaraonda

Aroush Halapsian is best girl.
Reaction score
Once in a previous tread of mine where I asked if you would name a child after a Pokémon, someone replied “I named myself after THE Pokémon.” But, does anyone even have a “THE Pokémon”? I’ve seen people have a “My Doctor” in Doctor Who, (for me it’s my fanonish version of Fivey), but I don’t think there can ever be a “THE” Pokémon.

I've never named myself after a Pokemon, but I do know a girl who's nickname was Pikachu.
Pika is somewhat used as a nickname in my hometown (Palermo) and it is short for pikachu. Once at school I had a classmate who was sometimes called Xaty which I think is also the Japanese name of natu or xatu but I don’t think she knows that.

One time on the Internet I was also known as: Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu.

I'm sure there's millennial parents out there who named their newborn son after Ash. :p

Last edited:
I'm sure there's milennial parents out there who named their newborn son Ash. :p
Wouldn't be weird, since there was a kid in England I believe called Sephiroth, and there's a case here where the parents named their kid "Mister Rambo" (they were not millennials in that last case, but still...)

To this day, that last guy has to show his ID everywhere to prove that's his actual name...

I've never heard of anyone who does, but it was somewhat of a fad to do this when Pokémon GO came out! almost crazy to read up on, ahaha. one of the articles I was looking at said the top Pokémon-related names at the time were Roselia, Onyx, and Eevee. Roselia makes for a pretty-sounding name, but I still wouldn't be able to do something like this since it's embarrassing and could open up doors for bullying in my child's future. at most I'd maybe give a name that could be inspired by a Pokémon but reworded and with a different pronunciation, like 'Evie' (pronounced ev-vee) for Eevee, so people wouldn't easily be able to make a connection. outright naming someone Pikachu, though? definitely not @_@

A girl I went to school with had the nickname "Eevee" because her name was Eve. However, I don't think her nickname was spelled that way. Still, every time I heard someone call her that, the Pokemon was always the first thing that came to mind.

Naming people after a Pokemon would be silly. Giving them a nickname like Eevee? Not so much. Though I do wonder how many people have named their pets after a Pokemon. I've been tempted before to name a cat Mew.

Well those were names that were already from other cultures/places such as West Asia and South Asia and thus not necessarily named after a Pokémon. Never something like arbok or zubat that isn’t a name but sounds like one.

Yeah it’s usually spelt Evie.

I think it would have to be a loyal superfan of the series. People do name themselves after actual Japanese names and words (and other people name themselves Western European sounding names) but that’s not after a specific character no more than its shared with them. Because usually you associate the names to a real life language and country instead of a show/videogame. For example many choose to have a Sicilian-ish name, but a name like Aroush Halapsian is just Gybrayan from planet Soligo, only someone who really loves Xyronia and Aroush to the point of brand loyalty, would name themselves say Relna Aroush Ostrodono.

Basically:

Naming yourself Espurr Pachirisu means you’re one of the biggest Pokéfans that will be loyal up to your death.

Naming yourself Brendan Cerulean means you’re west-inspired and also like the Pokémon games.

Naming yourself Hibiki Shippou means you’re japanesey-inspired and also like the Pokémon games.

For some reason, my mother thinks Deoxys would be a cool name for a child. :unsure:

Naming children after the human characters would obviously work a bit better, but I don't think there are many Pokemon names that would work well as people names. Since Pokemon names are the names of species, wouldn't it be like naming a child "Dalmatian" or "Meerkat"? Like yeah, Pokemon are fictional, but it'd feel weird to me for that reason.

For some reason, my mother thinks Deoxys would be a cool name for a child. :unsure:

Naming children after the human characters would obviously work a bit better, but I don't think there are many Pokemon names that would work well as people names. Since Pokemon names are the names of species, wouldn't it be like naming a child "Dalmatian" or "Meerkat"? Like yeah, Pokemon are fictional, but it'd feel weird to me for that reason.

Yeah is more of they’re species names, than them being fictional names. A name like Ėčømh Üklê isn’t really tied to anything but is still a name someone could choose to have.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom