• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN031: Hinbass's Beautiful Scale

Where are you all getting that Satoshi couldn't enter the contest because he doesn't have a Water-Type? Dr. Sakuragi's assistant tells Satoshi that he can't enter the contest because they're too old since this is an event meant for little kids.

That's why you only see preschoolers competing in the second half.

Where are you all getting that Satoshi couldn't enter the contest because he doesn't have a Water-Type? Dr. Sakuragi's assistant tells Satoshi that he can't enter the contest because they're too old since this is an event meant for little kids.

That's why you only see preschoolers competing in the second half.

Guess that makes sense to have a maximum age limit that prevents Ash taking part, that's a first.

Need the subs but I'm curious about Chloe's reactions at the end, could it be that she'll be getting more involved with Pokemon

Then I guess the user (already forgot who it was, sorry!) who said to me in the Celebi topic not to take Sobble just being there as a plus was right. The writers really need to do something with Sobble other than just having it be there doing a whole lot of nothing. I know only three episodes have now passed ever since Gou got it, but I'd still love to see Sobble doing.....something!

I must have missed the part where he used reserves in XY or SM. I'd say that a league is a better incentive than a minor competition (with zero battles) that was clearly all about Feebas.
True he did not use any of his reserves in XY or SM but those series had a sense of continuity as in SM we see Ash's tauros at Oak's lab alongside his Corphish , Squirtle and Totodile. Ash also mentioned his Tauros to Lily in SM and the flashbacks with Brock and Misty again showed continuity. In XY, he told Goodra that he could have asked professor Oak to send him some pokemon but he wants to battle with Goodra. Here we have got zero mentions of Ash's old pokemon and since ash is competing in the world championships, I want him to use teams combined with new and old pokemon but unfortunately , this series has handled that element and the world championships in probably the worst way possible.

Kinda weird cutoff when you consider that Ash is only 10 years old still.
There's always been a distinction in the anime between kids like Ash, Gou and most of the previous travelling companions who are old enough to be trainers, and kids like Max, Bonnie and this episode's CoTD who aren't old enough to properly own Pokemon yet (which is probably why the girl's carrying around her Feebas without using a Pokeball). This does beg the question of why a mini Pokemon Contest for small children exists despite the fact that they shouldn't be owning Pokemon to begin with, but eh, I guess it's just another mystery of the Pokemon World.
True he did not use any of his reserves in XY or SM but those series had a sense of continuity as in SM we see Ash's tauros at Oak's lab alongside his Corphish , Squirtle and Totodile. Ash also mentioned his Tauros to Lily in SM and the flashbacks with Brock and Misty again showed continuity. In XY, he told Goodra that he could have asked professor Oak to send him some pokemon but he wants to battle with Goodra. Here we have got zero mentions of Ash's old pokemon and since ash is competing in the world championships, I want him to use teams combined with new and old pokemon but unfortunately , this series has handled that element and the world championships in probably the worst way possible.
Ash's reserves aside, we already got quite a few continuity nods in this series so far, with the leading examples being the Lance episode, the Vermillion Gym episode and the Korrina episode. Just because Ash has been ignoring his reserves so far, that doesn't mean there's "absolute zero continuity" in this season. Plus, there's still that Schrodinger's Boldore from a few episodes ago, which we'll probably never get any clarification about, but... it's something, at least.

Just one thing , I am gonna consider this a reboot coz of absolutely zero continuity. I was soo pissed when couldn't participate while he had a bunch of water types under his ownership . He could have used any of those

The first episode literally had the Alola League Cup, the Masked Royals photo and the Z-Ring in Ash's room.
Then we got the Vermillion Gym, Korrina as well as Gurkkin, Korrina having Mienshao is also slight continuity, since it means the writers remembered she has a Mienfoo in XY and have let it evolve, we got Lance's Red Gyarados. Pikachu using Electroweb is also continuity (It didn't have the move before Sun and Moon). Matori appearing is also continuity. The only continuity lacking so far, is from the Team Rocket trio, but i know we get it with them as well, since i am convinced we are going to see Bewear, Mimikyu and Mareanie again.

The first episode literally had the Alola League Cup, the Masked Royals photo and the Z-Ring in Ash's room.
Then we got the Vermillion Gym, Korrina as well as Gurkkin, Korrina having Mienshao is also slight continuity, since it means the writers remembered she has a Mienfoo in XY and have let it evolve, we got Lance's Red Gyarados. Pikachu using Electroweb is also continuity (It didn't have the move before Sun and Moon). Matori appearing is also continuity. The only continuity lacking so far, is from the Team Rocket trio, but i know we get it with them as well, since i am convinced we are going to see Bewear, Mimikyu and Mareanie again.
True that, I agree about the all your points regarding continuity but if ash is never gonna use his old pokemon again, what is exactly the point of them being there. Its the world championships and Ash should be all of his pokemon in it . The whole world championship thing has been handled extremely poorly and it might continue to be a disappointment unless things are made better. In addition to that, showing the trophies and the z- rings and then totally forgetting about that isn't the best way. I am saying all this since this isn't a region specific series like the previous ones. Its about the all the regions we have seen so far and therefore needs to be handled differently than how it is being handled as of now. Even ash's current team isn't getting proper spotlight.Gengar had such a promising start but has been handled really poorly since then

I was seriously expecting Musashi/Kojiro to attempt to dress up as pre-schoolers again-
[flashback]
1596401262507.png

[/flashback]
-and enter with Nyasu dressed up as Tosakinto/some other messed up shit.

What we got instead actually made me hate being a Rocket fan.
No seriously.

Of the 10 post-hiatus episodes, they have been in just 4.
1 was Matori and that was a good episode, if a little dominated by the twerps but it worked, so ok.

The remaining 3 have been bit parts.
1 was them bookending the Koiking/Yadon double episode, it was short but fun, ok.
2 have been generic interruptions.
...At least the Messon episode had a funny gag about the balloon.

Their feature in this episode was as bad as the worst shoehorned appearances in OS-DP. I didn't mind those so much back then, because if they've gotta be in every episode then of course some of their appearances are going to be a little unremarkable!

What is the excuse now? No really?
If they can't do anything half decent with them they should just not include them.

Nice to see more of Koharu.

This episode felt like a huge slap in the face. Ash wants to compete but he has no water type...I really didn't like this because he could easily grab a reserve, but also, he should have gotten Sobble. This episode shows why I hate the fact that they gave Sobble to Goh. He wasn't interested, but Aah was and he couldn't because he has no water type on him. And there goes the longest streak without an unnecessary capture for Goh....Seeing Chloe join the boys though was great. Its what we needed.

This episode felt like a huge slap in the face. Ash wants to compete but he has no water type...I really didn't like this because he could easily grab a reserve, but also, he should have gotten Sobble. This episode shows why I hate the fact that they gave Sobble to Goh. He wasn't interested, but Aah was and he couldn't because he has no water type on him. And there goes the longest streak without an unnecessary capture for Goh....Seeing Chloe join the boys though was great. Its what we needed.

Ash couldn’t compete because he was too old, not because he had no water type.

Ash couldn’t compete because he was too old, not because he had no water type.
Yeah. As we can see from the contestants, the whole thing was meant for preschoolers.

I'm going to be rough in my words but the scene of Meowth attacking this baby girl's Hinbass was really so much violent , as much that I swear than if I was a newbie in the anime, not a fan of the Rocket trio and if I didn’t know who they really are in their hearts (thanks to past series) I would certainly hate them. I really think giving them that type of role without any further development around them is really damaging to the impression of the new viewers and little kids about the TRio. It breaks my heart... I sincerely wish I hadn't seen them this week.

Last edited:
Now that I have seen the episode with subs is time for a Team Rocket rant:
(I dont know if I will do a review of this episode I've been really busy these weeks IRL)

RANT INCOMING

What the hell is the problem with these writters. Not only they don't give them any Pokemon, not only they made them appear in less than 50% of the episodes. They made them look like bland people. BLAND.

Team Rocket did not appear a lot in Sun and Moon but atleast almost every apearence of them was somewhat special. I said it in the preview post, the ideal way for Team Rocket to be in this episode was that they took part in the contest and then I said that the bad way would be them catching the Pokémon in the contest. Which one they choose? The really bad one.

Did that happen before? Yes in episode 8 they did the exact same thing, the exact same routine. They followed the twerps with the Magikarp sub to another region and try to stole water type Pokémon. But this is worse, they were stealing UNTRAINED POKEMON BELONGING TO LITTLE KIDS!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!

Atleast in OS-DP-XY their plans were planned with machines, traps, their own Pokémon, disguises... In this series they are totally random, lets send our Pokemon (That we don't know what are going to be...) and let's see what happens...

This is a mess, i'm sorry but this is officially the worst Team Rocket ever. Not only for the gatcha but also for his characterization. Like @Jez said if I watched this Team Rocket when I was little I would never be a fan of them. Atleast BW Team Rocket had that mysterious aura arround them.

The only episodes were Team Rocket was good was The Leon two parter, Scorbunny evolution and the vacation episode (Not a fan of the Ditto episode).

Shame on this writters, shame on them for destroying Team Rocket.

My only hope now is Alola, I hope that the bear comes and Suplexes this machine to hell. Maybe we can still recover what's left of Team Rocket dignity.

The way the Rocket trio is being handled in Pocket Monsters (2019) is a million times better than that garbage we had to suffer through in Best Wishes!.

Look, I didn't hate the Rocket trio's role in this episode as much as the rest of you; Musashi mimicking the screaming at the start of the motto was gold, and seeing Sonansu controlling the mecha with a little remote control was cute. But I do agree with a lot of you that they were pretty bland here. Which is weird when you consider who wrote it; Akemi Omode has written lots of great Rocket episodes (the Hidoide capture episode, the Alola Nyarth episode, the Pheroache episode) and so it's not like last week where the failures were due to someone not knowing what the hell they were doing. Ms. Omode can and has done better.

But the solution isn't to reduce their screentime (it's low enough as it is) or to "only have them appear when they have something to contribute" (a standard that annoyingly doesn't seem to apply to anyone else). The solution is to just...use them better. The trio has elevated otherwise unwatchable episodes in the past so there's no reason they couldn't do the same here. Have the reason they're in the Hoenn region be something other than "we followed two ten-year-old boys from Kanto to Hokkaido." Like, I dunno, Kojirou got lured into the region by the Koiking Salesman to buy a Hinbass off him or something. Or, maybe have them break out their preschooler disguises from Sun & Moon and try to compete, get turned away because they're "too old," and then have Musashi go into a rage because she got called "old." Give the trio a cool / funny mecha that *isn't* their Koiking sub. If we're going to be stuck with that stupid Gacha Machine for the rest of the series (spoiler alert: we are) then at least give them useless gag Pokémon (something that can't swim, maybe?) instead of a generic pirahna and oversized crab. Etc. etc

I really, really hope this isn't the Rocket trio's last series because Pocket Monsters (2019) would make for a pretty lousy farewell for them if it was.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom