• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

hmmm looking at fairies and psychic types... abilities and moves... they need better ones when compared with ghost and dark... Mimikyu is a exception.... better defensive abilities in this department...
moves involving magic should have better effects especialy taking what other types have by now.

Not necessarily at the top of my list for real-life places I want to become Gen 9's Pokemon region, but I can see Texas being used, especially since it would be interesting to have a primarily humid region that is not significantly comprised of water.

Extreeme abilities- 1 pokemon gains for 4 turns a extra ability to its already known one + all stats boost +1 stage. 6 kinds. Heal, Immunity, Haunted, Drainer, Breaker, Bloker. And some signature for unique pokemon.

I think it's gonna be in Spain
Not only it's because Spain it's my country xd they have giving us clues since Sun/Moon (Oricorio it's a flamenco dancer,Tapu bulu wears a typical Spanish hat) and there's a npc how speaks Spanish and says,that she's from other region (Curiously in Spanish version she speaks French xd) and game freak visits Spanish years ago and they love the culture so,it's a possibility.

There certainly was a lot of hints to Spain in Gen 7, but there doesn't seem to be any that I'm aware of in Gen 8 sadly. Any ideas?

There certainly was a lot of hints to Spain in Gen 7, but there doesn't seem to be any that I'm aware of in Gen 8 sadly. Any ideas?
In let's Go there very evidence to England,Like crowns and maps safely in SW/Sh there's no evidence to any country,so maybe the idea stills in development.

In let's Go there very evidence to England,Like crowns and maps safely in SW/Sh there's no evidence to any country,so maybe the idea stills in development.

the 2 towers, the tundra castle and the pokemon itself are a hint... fighting bears, a dear grass/psychic , hindu???...

2 towers lord of the rings... but,,, also

Buddhist Stupas in Xinjiang | “A Tale of Two Towers”

china, two towers in Tolien featured a elephant, we got Copperjah...

the white doe is french... Kalos? celtic culture???
hungary? Huns?????

Deer are considered messengers to the gods in Shinto, especially Kasuga Shrine in Nara Prefecture where a white deer had arrived from Kashima Shrine as its divine messenger. It has become a symbol of the city of Nara. Deer in Itsukushima Shrine, located in Miyajima, Hiroshima, are also sacred as divine messengers. In various parts of Northeast Japan, a deer dance called "Shishi-odori" has been traditionally performed as an annual shinto ritual.[28]

also starters could be a hint, Gorilla, Chameloeon and Rabbit in a Great Britain , European region...
the elephant and gorilla would suggest Kongo, or generaly Africa...
Copperjah was said to come from a other region and was a Hanibal and roman motive...
its said to change in water to gree, maybe it will have a stee/grass, water/steel, or maybe be water/grass pokemon in a other region?
It is often considered sacred and symbolises royalty in Thailand and Burma, where it is also considered a symbol of good luck. In Buddhist iconography, the elephant is associated with Queen Māyā of Sakya, the mother of Gautama Buddha.

Gorrilas live near the Nile, Ethopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, Egypt , Madagaskar region would allow to give us a wide range of interesting
pokemon... african pinguin....

we got a orangutan last generation in aloha... oranguru...orangutans and gorillas are in borneo, they mixed borneo with hawaii and more islands generaly... Galar is also a european colonial mix generaly... africa would be a nice way to go to now.

• Gelada Baboons. Image courtesy of A. ...
  • The Walia Ibex. Perched on the most inaccessible cliffs of the Semien Mountains are the last surviving Walia Ibex. ...
  • Ethiopian Wolf. ...
  • Mountain Nyala. ...
  • Menelik's Bushbuck. ...
  • Swayne's Hartebeest. ...
  • Somali Wild Ass. ...
  • Bale Mountain Vervet.
Animals of Egypt
There are many kinds of animals living in Egypt. Horses, Camels, Buffalos and Donkeys are the most prevalent animals to be found here. As for desert wildlife the Gazelles,Nubian Ibex, Jackals, Jerboas and desert Foxes are indigenous to the country.

would give us possibility of snake or horse starter quite nice here.
a hippo water starter??? those egyptian motives in pokemon are still missing a lot.

Last edited:
the 2 towers, the tundra castle and the pokemon itself are a hint... fighting bears, a dear grass/psychic , hindu???...

2 towers lord of the rings... but,,, also

Buddhist Stupas in Xinjiang | “A Tale of Two Towers”

china, two towers in Tolien featured a elephant, we got Copperjah...

the white doe is french... Kalos? celtic culture???
hungary? Huns?????

Deer are considered messengers to the gods in Shinto, especially Kasuga Shrine in Nara Prefecture where a white deer had arrived from Kashima Shrine as its divine messenger. It has become a symbol of the city of Nara. Deer in Itsukushima Shrine, located in Miyajima, Hiroshima, are also sacred as divine messengers. In various parts of Northeast Japan, a deer dance called "Shishi-odori" has been traditionally performed as an annual shinto ritual.[28]

also starters could be a hint, Gorilla, Chameloeon and Rabbit in a Great Britain , European region...
the elephant and gorilla would suggest Kongo, or generaly Africa...
Copperjah was said to come from a other region and was a Hanibal and roman motive...
its said to change in water to gree, maybe it will have a stee/grass, water/steel, or maybe be water/grass pokemon in a other region?
It is often considered sacred and symbolises royalty in Thailand and Burma, where it is also considered a symbol of good luck. In Buddhist iconography, the elephant is associated with Queen Māyā of Sakya, the mother of Gautama Buddha.

Gorrilas live near the Nile, Ethopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, Egypt , Madagaskar region would allow to give us a wide range of interesting
pokemon... african pinguin....

we got a orangutan last generation in aloha... oranguru...orangutans and gorillas are in borneo, they mixed borneo with hawaii and more islands generaly... Galar is also a european colonial mix generaly... africa would be a nice way to go to now.

• Gelada Baboons. Image courtesy of A. ...
  • The Walia Ibex. Perched on the most inaccessible cliffs of the Semien Mountains are the last surviving Walia Ibex. ...
  • Ethiopian Wolf. ...
  • Mountain Nyala. ...
  • Menelik's Bushbuck. ...
  • Swayne's Hartebeest. ...
  • Somali Wild Ass. ...
  • Bale Mountain Vervet.
Animals of Egypt
There are many kinds of animals living in Egypt. Horses, Camels, Buffalos and Donkeys are the most prevalent animals to be found here. As for desert wildlife the Gazelles,Nubian Ibex, Jackals, Jerboas and desert Foxes are indigenous to the country.

would give us possibility of snake or horse starter quite nice here.
a hippo water starter??? those egyptian motives in pokemon are still missing a lot.
Well,England has a lot of connection with india,un fact India is a England Colonia.

I'm kinda afraid of how they'd approach an Indian region. There's gonna be a lot of cultural appropriation talks. :confused:
I don’t know, as an Indian I can say that they’ll handle it better than any American or English developer.

India in those narratives gains quite a few negative stereotypes (I dread reading threads about my country on Reddit since even the most positive of threads contain things like "S**t on the streets", "Country of r*pists". This once happened literally on a thread about a freaking satellite launch. (Sorry for the rant, but it just shows how popular websites are openly racist to non-black minorities too).

I don’t know, as an Indian I can say that they’ll handle it better than any American or English developer.

Idk about that. Japan doesn't know any more about Indian culture than the UK or the US. Also, desi people are very, very vocal about cultural appropriation but WELL at least GF doesn't care much about fan backlash :wynaut:

I think that there’s a decent argument that most of the lighter brown skinned people, as well as Leon and Hop are from the Indian equivalent of the Pokémon world (or Indian-Galar or Indian origin) the home region of Copperajah. Since in real-life England it’s simply statistically more likely (due to Indian immigrants after colonialism). They’re one of the largest PoC communities in the UK.

And interestingly, Leon and Hop's french names can easily pass off as Pakistani/Indian names.

Idk about that. Japan doesn't know any more about Indian culture than the UK or the US. Also, desi people are very, very vocal about cultural appropriation but WELL at least GF doesn't care much about fan backlash :wynaut:
After they’ve done such a good job on Galar I feel like an Indian region would be just as good. It'd be perfect for Pokémon selection since we've got all terrains there can be (even a cold desert and your classic hot desert). Most Pokémon types can be fairly represented without resorting to weird stuff like a desert in New York.

I can say it’ll be a dream come true for the open world folks if GameFreak doesn’t skimp out on region size. They’ve got a lot to work with there. I hope they do utilise it.

After they’ve done such a good job on Galar

Wait you think so? I feel like the British elements (particularly the Galar forms) are kind of on the nose and poorly executed as compared to what they did with Alola.

I do agree with you on Leon, Hop and also Raihan (maybe Chairman Rose even?) being Poke-desi though.

Wait you think so? I feel like the British elements (particularly the Galar forms) are kind of on the nose and poorly executed as compared to what they did with Alola.

I do agree with you on Leon, Hop and also Raihan (maybe Chairman Rose even?) being Poke-desi though.
I was talking more about the region design: the environment, music and so on. On the Galar forms I agree with you. Alola did them much better.

Ponyta line felt overdesigned. It had the potential to be the next Alolan Ninetales but it wasn’t... It became even worse when Rapidash ditched the cotton candy fluff for for those abominable hair. Mr. Mime line felt unnecessary, Galarian Weezing too on the nose. Obstagoon was okay but looks weirdly human. Sirfetch'd looks like regular Farfetch’d with a better leek I think they should've adopted a similar design to Madame
1596453390375.png

And there are other India references in Galar too: The curry mechanic featured "masala" used in Indian curries. It’s literally Hindi for the word "spice".

I was talking more about the region design: the environment, music and so on.

I was talking about that as well. I felt like only Ballonlea served.

Sirfetch'd looks like regular Farfetch’d with a better leek I think they should've adopted a similar design to Madame
1596453390375.png

Should have been a split version with Sirfetch'd as the Sword ver and Madame as the Shield ver. IMO.

I wonder if they forgot completely about Madame... which is likely considering the only actual recycled designs I have seen where either from the same Gen (Honoguma slowly turning into Teddiursa) or used in the immediate next gen (Shellos and Gastrodon).

I mean, more than 20 years have passed since Madame's creation, so it seems likely.

Sirfetch'd looks like regular Farfetch’d with a better leek I think they should've adopted a similar design to Madame
Agreed. I find Sirfetch'd's design to be somewhat underwhelming since it's essentially just white Farfetch'd with a shield. It doesn't feel as much like an evolution compared to other Pokemon. If Sirfetch'd looked more like Madame (like the design in the spoiler below), I think it would be a more satisfying evolution.
iu

Ponyta line felt overdesigned. It had the potential to be the next Alolan Ninetales but it wasn’t... It became even worse when Rapidash ditched the cotton candy fluff for for those abominable hair.

Well, to each their own. Personally, while I do think that Galarian Ponyta is adorable, the cotton candy fluffiness was a bit over-the-top to me. Galarian Rapidash's mane gives off more of a fairy tail princess vibe, which I personally prefer.

I adore Galarian Rapidash. I really expected something that I wouldn't like as much, but then it was revealed and I was like "Wow. Great job!". Galarian Rapidash is now my favorite Pokemon.

I wonder if they forgot completely about Madame... which is likely considering the only actual recycled designs I have seen where either from the same Gen (Honoguma slowly turning into Teddiursa) or used in the immediate next gen (Shellos and Gastrodon).

I mean, more than 20 years have passed since Madame's creation, so it seems likely.

They actually were asked about this in an interview with Eurogamer

> Eurogamer: On Sirfetch'd in particular, it seems like it's based on an old evolution for Farfetch'd that was in the Gold and Silver demo that was uncovered - is it based on a cancelled design that never made it into a final game?

> Shigeru Ohmori: [Laughs] It's a completely new design. Really when we're looking at the UK as a region, we thought this kind of evolution, with it holding its leek like a sword and having a kind of shield design, really fit with this new region we were designing. So yeah, it's a new design.

That said, skeptical as I usually am of reading beta content as if it's some kind of secret decoder ring for more recent developments, I do think it's at least reasonable to suspect that the GS beta Leafeon was recycled. Though at the same time, I sure a lot of these instances that people point to might not be so direct as "recycling," per se, but rather that there's just a general concept that they've passed around the table before but decided not to go forward with at that time. "Eevee + Leaf Stone evolution" is a pretty obvious idea when you've linked Eevee to the three other stones, but for whatever reason, they rejected the idea in Gen 2. (Maybe they thought it was redundant on top of Jolteon, or the simultaneously added Espeon and Umbreon. Who knows?) Then Gen 4 came around and brought some new evolution methods. Maybe they felt that now it made sense to add new Eeveelutions and revisit the idea. Same for Mime Jr. - it's one of those late-Dex humanoid Pokémon, and many of the others were given baby evolutions in Gen 2. But maybe Mime Jr. was deemed redundant until a later addition (again new evolution methods in this case) reopened the conversation. And as far as the designs go, well, it's a leaf-themed Eevee and a tiny Mr. Mime. They're probably going to look similar to previous attempts whether it's intentional or not.

Plus, do we know how much of the design team even consists of people who've been employed since way back then? You know, theoretically the point of hiring newer, younger people is to bring new ideas to the table, not to rehash old ones. :p

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom