• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obsolete: [OLD] Bulbagarden Forum Rules (Last Updated April 13th, 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much like how there's a thread for Dogasu's Backpack, would it be acceptable to have a discussion thread for Suede's Pokémon Journey videos (plus his other vids on the anime)?.

How in the world would someone get 1000 active warning points...?
As a result of cumulative warnings over time, they won't. How it actually happens is the mods will eventually see that a repeat troublemaker is not going to improve or make any efforts to improve, and will decide that said user should not be coming back to the forums, and they'll apply a thousand point warning to kick them to permaban threshold. It's just an arbitrarily high number because a permanent ban needs a point value associated to work.

Greninjaman said that spamming/saying things over and over again and again repeatedly non stop can get you in trouble/banned, is that true? when ever I talk to spinyshell and greninjaman I keep trying to find new ways to say hi just in case which is why I ask.

Greninjaman said that spamming/saying things over and over again and again repeatedly non stop can get you in trouble/banned, is that true? when ever I talk to spinyshell and greninjaman I keep trying to find new ways to say hi just in case which is why I ask.
Yes, spamming is agains out Disruptive Posting rule
Don't make irrelevant or repetitive posts
  • All posts should be related to either the original topic of the thread, or a response to another post in the thread.
  • Don't repeatedly post the same (or slightly rephrased) opinion or argument in the same thread.

If you're just talking to your friends in VM or PM, then you're free to greet them however you want, but when posting in discussion threads around the site please try to keep posts on topic and spam-free.

if you want you can check out my BulbaBlog Enzap. I have had a lot of views but no replies. and before I start a new blog I want at least over 100 replies on it. just saying if you want to support me!

Has anyone ever been perm-banned? Also, are the stars in my username OK? And is No swearing a rule? I'm guessing it depends on if it's directed at someone or not.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever been perm-banned? Also, are the stars in my username OK? And is No swearing a rule? I'm guessing it depends on if it's directed at someone or not.
1. Yes, people have been permabanned before. But this only happens when it's determined that they are essentially irredeemable or an inexcusably toxic influence on the site. We reserve that as a last option in most cases, outside of obvious trolls.

2. To keep your name searchable and mentionable, please keep your username to characters you can type from a standard English keyboard.

3. You got it, you can be as potty mouthed as you want as long as you're not disrespecting others.

What's the oldest the last reply to a thread can be before you can no longer reply to the tread?

In other words, what's the limit to bumping a thread?

What's the oldest the last reply to a thread can be before you can no longer reply to the tread?

In other words, what's the limit to bumping a thread?
No limits. If you see a thread you'd be interested to post in, you can go ahead and post in it even if the most recent reply was years ago.

If I wanted to ask something about a character and get people's thoughts on it, is there already a thread for that, or I could I start my own? Would that be going against the rules?

If I wanted to ask something about a character and get people's thoughts on it, is there already a thread for that, or I could I start my own? Would that be going against the rules?

As a broad guide, checking the last two pages of thread discussions should give an indication as to whether such a topic has already seen recent discussion - if it has, that would be the best place to contribute. If not, you're very welcome to create a new thread (and it goes without saying that threads about anime characters in particular should be well-measured and respect the views of other users).

Hello all!

The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made tricky language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier.

Below is the new ruleset, effective immediately. Any warning you receive will be active for a set period of time as denoted in the brackets.

1. Don't have a signature outside the allowed limits (Excessive Signature) [2 points, 3 months]
  • The combined size of all images and text should not exceed 160 pixels in height, and 500 kB in size. Spoiler tags, scrollbars, etc. are not allowed.
  • One extra line of text is allowed to give credit to the artist(s) of avatars and signatures.
  • Bulbagarden staff are allowed slightly greater limits as a reward for their service; 220 pixels tall, 600 kB
  • You may check your signature here.
2. Don't advertise other sites in threads (Advertising) [3 points, 3 months]
  • You may post links to other sites if relevant to the thread
  • You may link to other sites in your signature, personal profile or blog
  • You may link to your own creative pages in appropriate forums i.e. Art Gallery & Written Word (Please note their section rules)
3. Don't make disruptive posts (Disruptive Post) [3 points, 3 months]
  • Don't make irrelevant or repetitive posts
    • All posts should be related to either the original topic of the thread, or a response to another post in the thread.
    • Don't repeatedly post the same (or slightly rephrased) opinion or argument in the same thread.
    • Don't repeatedly post content to get a thread higher in the view list.
    • Don't continue discussing a subject after a moderator asks for it to be dropped.
    • Don't act as if you're a moderator by telling users to follow the rules (aka "minimodding"). If you think a post or thread is rule-breaking, report it instead.
    • Don't mention users without good reason.
  • Don't purposefully post spoilers for recent media content, all spoilers should be in SPOILER tags.
    • Elements that have already been officially revealed (in trailers, announcements, official previews, etc) are NOT spoilers
    • References to plot elements or quotes that do not reveal the significance of that plot point or quote are NOT spoilers
  • Avoid posting in languages other than English and avoid excessive styling in posts
    • Excessive styling can be: excessive use of rainbow text, large fonts, large images, spoiler pyramids, etc
    • Avoid using non-Latin characters in your forum username. Non-Latin characters are only allowed in signatures, PMs/VMs, personal profile and user title.
    • Japanese text is permissible within our Pokemon sections.
  • Large images (larger than 500 x 500 pixels) should be placed in SPOILER tags.
4. Don't ask for or advertise illegal content (Copyright Violation) [4 points, 6 months]
  • This includes fansubs, scanlations, full episodes, ROMs, etc.
  • Don't discuss or name groups or websites that provide illegal content.
  • Fan-made games can be discussed, but not linked to. Posting short excerpts (magazine scans of a few pages, short anime clips, etc.) is allowed.
5. Don't steal other people's fanworks, or fail to credit them (Plagiarism) [5 points, 6 months]
  • If you use something you didn't create, credit the creator. If you do not know the creator or could not find them, make sure to say so.
  • An extra line of text is allowed in addition to the standard signature limits to credit creators.
  • Writer's Workshop has additional clarification for Plagiarism in their own section.
6. Don't insult or attack other users (Flaming) [5 points, 6 months]
  • Don't use language that demeans others, including groups of people ("genwunners," "that's gay/retarded/autistic," “bitch/bastard”).
  • Don’t use language that trivialises violence or death ("I raped his team", "he should be shot").
  • Don’t use language that makes people uncomfortable for feeling offended or disagreeing with a viewpoint (“special snowflake”, “triggered”). Respect other people's identity (and make an effort to use their preferred pronouns), when known.
7. Don't try to provoke arguments (Baiting) [5 points, 6 months]
  • When debating with other users, be respectful of their views.
    • Address other people's posts. Don't nitpick details, assume bad faith, or be dismissive or unreasonably misrepresent their views (ex: "[citation needed]")
    • Don't treat your opinions as an established fact, or claim to speak for other people or a group (including "the majority").
    • Don't gloat when you feel you've proven a point or someone else has conceded a point. Being right does not give you bragging rights.
    • Don't be dismissive of other's posts. This includes making posts to say "that's just your opinion" or similar.
  • Don't abuse the report system. Report rule-breaking content, but do not target other users or try to get them in trouble by reporting posts you don't agree with.
  • Don't continue a controversial discussion the moderators have asked you to drop.
  • Don't bring issues from other sites to Bulbagarden; this includes arguing about what users or staff do on other sites and gloating about your site.
8. Don't make abusive or harassing posts toward other users (Abuse and Harassment) [10 points, 12 months]
  • Don't make violent threats or emotionally manipulate other users.
  • Don't make sexual or romantic advances or lewd comments toward another user (or a specific group of users).
  • Do not continue flaming or bothering a person or group after being told not to.
  • Do not make discriminatory posts based on things like race, orientation, disability, gender identity or similar.
  • Do not reveal information about a person without their explicit permission (This includes, but not limited to; email address, home address, phone number, pictures, etc)
9. Don't post oversexualized, offensive or similarly shocking content (Inappropriate Content) [10 points, 12 months]
  • Don't post pictures that focus on or draw attention to breasts, buttocks and/or crotches (even clothed).
  • Don't post pictures that focus on or draw attention to fetish or erotic imagery, this includes non-naked images. This includes images featuring partial or full nudity or images depicting sexual acts or situations.
  • Don't post imagery associated with hate movements, ideologies or groups (Confederate States, Alt-Right, etc.).
  • Don’t post shocking content, such as gore, brutal violence, heavy amounts of blood, etc.
  • Don't link to websites that notoriously contain inappropriate content (e.g. 4Chan). Appropriate screenshots from these sites may be used instead.
  • Historical or non-sexualised art such as Michelangelo's David or Nirvana's Nevermind album cover are allowed.
10. Don't create sockpuppets (Sockpuppeting) [10 points, 6 months]
  • A sockpuppet is an additional account you create on top of your main one, without staff permission.
  • The warning is applied to your main account with the sockpuppet being permanently banned.
General information

Except for blatant infractions, moderators will generally give 0-point warnings OR public warning (in the thread) before giving out points. Please do note that when a moderator posts in a thread to tell everyone to stop a certain behavior, that the moderator’s post does count as a warning.

0-point warnings are simple reminders meant to help you figure out the rules and avoid trouble. They are not punishment, and they don't make you more likely to be punished.

If you are unhappy with a warning that you have received, discuss it with the moderator that gave you the warning. If you still believe that the moderator was unfair or biased against you after your discussion, please use this form to register your complaint.

Note that several forums have specific rules themselves, and make sure to abide by these rules as well.

If you accumulate too many points, you may be temporarily banned from Bulbagarden Forums

This is the ban structure:
  • 10 active warning points: 2 days
  • 20 active warning points: 10 days
  • 30 active warning points: 1 month
  • 40 active warning points: 4 months
  • 50+ active warning points: Indefinite ban
If you receive a temporary ban, the time starts from the moment you receive the ban. Ergo, if you get a two day ban at 5:00am on Friday the 27th, the ban will end at 5:00am on Sunday the 29th.
How does one gain points?

How does one gain points?

Hi, do you mean warning points? Each rule on the list has a number of points and a duration next to it in the title - for example, for #7 you can see this:

7. Don't try to provoke arguments (Baiting) [5 points, 6 months]

That tells you how many points you'd get and how long the warning will be active for if you were to break that particular rule. Staff members issue warnings manually if they feel a user should get one, so that's how you'd be getting the points on your record.

Is asking for help with setting up a different pokemon related wiki against the rule on advertising? If not, then where does it go?

Is asking for help with setting up a different pokemon related wiki against the rule on advertising? If not, then where does it go?
As far as I remember this isn't a situation we've run into before so there's no precedent I'm aware of, but I would probably say that does count as advertising since you'd be using resources on our platform to try to build a competitor :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom