• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think after DP the writer should retire Ash?

Should Ash leave the show?

• Total voters
I would say that if there is not enough Ash character deveolpment, he should not go, And wasn't the point of pokemon to show Ash's adventures as he became a pokemon master? And I don't think he has got that far yet.

Yes, and I think the DP series would be an excellent time to wrap up his journey. Think of it this way, by the time DP ends the show will have been going on for 13 or 14 years and have over 600 episodes. DP ending with Ash battling Cynthia of the Elite 4 would be an excellent ending for the series.

The only other old plots they need to resolve is Ash meeting Ho-oh in some form and confronting Giovanni to disband Team Rocket. There's also the GS ball, but I think we've all given up on that.

Do you guys really want to see Ash's journey go on for 20 years? I don't, I'd much rather see Ash's story get a proper conclusion than to see this go on for another decade.

Imagine if this show is still going on 10 years from now, will all of this even feel like its part of the same continuity anymore? When we're in 2020 do you really think the show's continuity will matter anymore from 1998?

The show needs an ending eventually, because if this show does end without any proper conclusion, I'm going to feel like I wasted my time watching since 1998.

At least make the new series about Ash's son and/or daughter's journey with a Pikachu. or something like that.....^^;;

I'm sorry to say it but yes ash has run his course. If i was in charge he would have been gone after Johto and replaced by Brendon and May and same with them by the end of Hoenn because the show is call POKEMON not ash and friends. I like ash as a character but he's just stale and its not like yu-gi-oh where the show falls apart because you replace the character the show is named after

I would say that if there is not enough Ash character deveolpment, he should not go, And wasn't the point of pokemon to show Ash's adventures as he became a pokemon master? And I don't think he has got that far yet.

In my opinion there has still left room to make further development with Ash.His character is left unfinished in many ways and becoming pokemon master is just one of them.

People can say what they want,but the thruth is that Ash is never going to be replaced.

To Red Torterra:Its hard to say what does involve becoming pokemon master but it does implies being the strongest or one of the strongest trainers in the world.Considering how in series were already shown masters of pokemon types or branches like Lance(E4 member who is labelled as dragon type master) or Wallace(contest master),i believe the title of pokemon master can be achieved aswell.

However i dont see Ash becoming one any time soon.

You should have read the article I linked to because the author points out most of the stuff being thrown up about pokémon masters.

If your talking to me yes i have read the article.I was just responding to you,how it is pretty much unowned how can someone become pokemon master,but it does implies being the strongest or one of the strongest trainers in the world.

About Ash ever leaving if this interview(which i read aswell) is anything to go by,than its pretty much safe to say that Ash isnt going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited:
Yes, and I think the DP series would be an excellent time to wrap up his journey. Think of it this way, by the time DP ends the show will have been going on for 13 or 14 years and have over 600 episodes. DP ending with Ash battling Cynthia of the Elite 4 would be an excellent ending for the series.

The only other old plots they need to resolve is Ash meeting Ho-oh in some form and confronting Giovanni to disband Team Rocket. There's also the GS ball, but I think we've all given up on that.

Do you guys really want to see Ash's journey go on for 20 years? I don't, I'd much rather see Ash's story get a proper conclusion than to see this go on for another decade.

Imagine if this show is still going on 10 years from now, will all of this even feel like its part of the same continuity anymore? When we're in 2020 do you really think the show's continuity will matter anymore from 1998?

The show needs an ending eventually, because if this show does end without any proper conclusion, I'm going to feel like I wasted my time watching since 1998.

QFT.

I would rather for Ash & Friends to get a proper conclusion than for them to be dragged out for another 10 years if it lasts that long. Let ash become the equivalent of a Pokmon master; Let brock find the girl of his dreams and become a pokemon breeder or further his goal...

Does this topic really need to come up during every single league? I swear we had this topic when Houen was airing and again when Battle Frontier was going on.

Something no one's brought up yet is the fact that if Satoshi leaves, Pikachu will go with him. The series' mascot not being in the show isn't going to work, and no other pokemon (not even Potchama) is going to be enough of a replacement for it.

Besides, any character they replace Satoshi with would quickly turn into a carbon copy of the guy.

I totally agree with you. I've heard this topic so often that I'm still amazed people still ask it. At this point, it would be a bad choice to replace Ash. He's been on the show for so long that he, and Pikachu, of course, have become icons of the series. Even though the writers have been changing some aspects of the show, mainly how battles and Contest are handled and the Pokemon's personalities, I don't think that they would want to mess around with the Ash and Pikachu formula too much like that.

Besides that, you bring up a good point with how the character replacing Ash would be a carbon copy of him. That's the same thing that I think of when people want Team Rocket to be replaced by the region's specific team.

I can understand why some people would want Ash to leave, but I just doubt that the writers would do that at this point. I just think that it's far too late for them to change him. They could have replaced Ash when Johto started, which was when Red, the character he's based on, wasn't the main character of the games anymore, and pretty much go the way that Pokemon Adventures went. However, they didn't and after being in here for over ten years, I doubt that they would change it now.

Scott85 said:

No offense, but I'm just wondering how people think that Ash challenging the Sinnoh Elite 4 and even reaching Cynthia is such a possible event in DP. Ash has never come close to actually winning one of these leagues and by that I mean not winning a league that's based on one of the main games, outside of the Battle Frontier anyway. He's never even come close to defeating even one of the Elite 4's Pokemon of any region. Don't get me wrong. That would be a cool twist if that actually happened, but I just can't see Ash getting that far with the Elite 4, or even beating one of them.

Scott85 said:

As we all know, the series is promoting the video games and as long as the games sell well enough, the series will continue. At least that's the way I see it.

Regarding the continuity, if the same continuity matters after over ten years, I don't see how another ten years would change that. After all, the writers would just be writing for the kids of that time, not the people who have been watching since the beginning. In all honesty, as much as I love Pokemon, the term proper conclusion has never really came to my mind for the series. While it does have a storyline, I don't think that they're worried too much about conclusion at the moment since both the show and the video games are still doing well. Obviously, the video games have higher sales, but the series still does well enough from what I can tell. In my opinion, as long as you have enjoyed the series, I don't think that would count as wasting time. But that's just from my perspective.

No offense, but I'm just wondering how people think that Ash challenging the Sinnoh Elite 4 and even reaching Cynthia is such a possible event in DP. He's never even come close to defeating even one of the Elite 4's Pokemon of any region. Don't get me wrong. That would be a cool twist if that actually happened, but I just can't see Ash getting that far with the Elite 4, or even beating one of them.

Why not? Just because Ash lost every previous league he has to lose the Sinnoh league too? Ash is going to win a league eventually, and I can see it happening this region.

As for the Elite 4, Ash would be using all his strongest Pokemon from Oak's lab and I'm sure he'll be able to get far. The Elite 4 aren't invincible, and if they're foreshadowing the Elite 4 there's no reason he wouldn't get up to Cynthia.

Regarding the continuity, if the same continuity matters after over ten years, I don't see how another ten years would change that. After all, the writers would just be writing for the kids of that time, not the people who have been watching since the beginning.

Because if the anime goes on for another 10 years, it won't feel like the majority of the show matters anymore. Most of Ash's older Pokemon will be phased out never to be used again, the older characters will rarely make cameos anymore, and Ash will continue his cycle from now until eternity.

Its gotten to the point where it feels like older sagas are entirely skippable now where you don't even have to watch them anymore. The fact that that's possible is troublesome, because as seen with the Johto saga, you don't even have to watch that saga to know what's going on in DP. I have no desire to see what I'm watching "swept under the carpet" as time goes on.

10 years from now the entire concept of continuity will be thrown out the window, and it'll feel like what we're watching is pointless.

Likewise I'm sure the writers will give a proper ending to the show someday, but hopefully that's sooner than later.

The biggest arguement I see against this is always that people will stop watching the show if Ash leaves or something to that extent. Yet, the arguement that Pokemon is basically reset every new generation is also made because it attracts a new audience, and msot new comers haven't even seen the begining of Ash's journey.

Why not do them a favour and actually reset the series as a whole next time rather than Ash just leaving his Pokemon and going off with Pikachu. This way the new generation of fans have their own annoying little protagonist to cling to.

Regarding the continuity, if the same continuity matters after over ten years, I don't see how another ten years would change that. After all, the writers would just be writing for the kids of that time, not the people who have been watching since the beginning.
This is the perfect quote to illustrate my point. Yes, the writers should be writing for the fans of that time, so why bother keeping a character from our time?

I don't see why the show "Pokemon" has to end just because Ash's journey ends. They could easily create a new one. Every new generation has new characters that the show's writers could easily use.

Last edited:
Why not do them a favour and actually reset the series as a whole next time rather than Ash just leaving his Pokemon and going off with Pikachu. This way the new generation of fans have their own annoying little protagonist to cling to.

True, the new generation of kids born years from now won't even care about Ash, and they'll get into the show with whoeever the protagonist is at the time.

If the writers are so concerned about Pikachu they can easily give the girl a Pikachu this time, and have the boy with a different starter.

I don't think Satoshi should leave because it doesn't feel like his story is at a good stopping point at the moment. I also really don't care if 10 years from now most regions will be skipable, because I'll still enjoy rewatching them. All the writers have to do is keep reminding kids of major events and they can keep this going forever.

It's actually a little surprising they haven't just reset everything and have some other kid start out with a Pikachu, but as long as the show remains enjoyable I'll be happy watching the show as it is now.

I don't think Satoshi should leave because it doesn't feel like his story is at a good stopping point at the moment.

For me, it feels like they either do it now or wait another four generations because Ash has accomplished a lot. He's steadily gotten stronger and stronger with each conference and has beaten the Frontier Brains. The Elite 4 battle has also been foreshadowed.

Its getting tiresom watching someone whose been at it for that long always forgetting that:
Electric + Ground = OMGhowtheheckdidyouforgetthisagain!?!?!

Well, he's gonna need to retire because he's getting older, because he's like what? 14 now? I mean a new cast of characters would be good, Ash can still make his cameos or something, if they're gonna retire him, they'd better do it before he's like 16 or something.

Pokémon has got to be the only fandom that wants the main characters to be replaced. '_'

I'd rather not risk Pokémon jumping the Sharpedo, really. Ash and Pikachu (and Team Rokcet) leaving would be gut-wrenching for me.

I can actually see JJ&M giving up on Pikachu if they notice some other twerp with a Pokemon they think is just as good, though I doubt anyone can really pull of what they do.

I think the writers have done a pretty good job keeping us older fans entertained, as well as making things new enough that little kids wont feel lost.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

No. Why? Caause as said in the interview on pokebeach:
Ash leaves show ends.

Why not? Just because Ash lost every previous league he has to lose the Sinnoh league too? Ash is going to win a league eventually, and I can see it happening this region.

As for the Elite 4, Ash would be using all his strongest Pokemon from Oak's lab and I'm sure he'll be able to get far. The Elite 4 aren't invincible, and if they're foreshadowing the Elite 4 there's no reason he wouldn't get up to Cynthia.

While I can see Ash doing a better job against the Elite 4 with some of his older Pokemon, I just can't see him getting that far at the same time. I never said that they were invincible. I really haven't seen that much foreshadowing of Ash challenging the Elite 4. If it happens, then that's cool. I also still kind of doubt that Ash could win this league since, outside of the Orange Islands, he hasn't come close to winning the whole tournament. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm not thinking that it's definitely going to happen either.

Scott85 said:
Because if the anime goes on for another 10 years, it won't feel like the majority of the show matters anymore. Most of Ash's older Pokemon will be phased out never to be used again, the older characters will rarely make cameos anymore, and Ash will continue his cycle from now until eternity.

Its gotten to the point where it feels like older sagas are entirely skippable now where you don't even have to watch them anymore. The fact that that's possible is troublesome, because as seen with the Johto saga, you don't even have to watch that saga to know what's going on in DP. I have no desire to see what I'm watching "swept under the carpet" as time goes on.

Well, outside of Ash's older Pokemon being phased out, most of that has already happened. Besides, as I mentioned earlier, the writers are focusing on the kids of today, not the fans who grew up with the first season like we did. They do mention some of the older sagas every now and then, but seeing them isn't necessary in order to enjoy the current seasons.

I think that we have different definitions of what does and does not matter for the series. Kids don't need to watch from the beginning to understand what's going on and that does seem like a good aspect to have since their audience grows up and some may stop watching it. Though, I don't that those older seasons don't matter anymore either. People, both older fans and new ones, can go back and watch them if they want to for fun and enjoyment. Besides that, we usually see most of Ash's Pokemon when he returns to Pallet Town.

I'm kind of confused with your example of the Johto saga. There have been times throughout DP where Ash has mentioned the older sagas, such as when he saw Oh-Ho for the first time and his first Pokemon catch. I also remember during one of Ash's battles in the Battle Frontier that an announcer was listing all of his achievements as a trainer since Kanto. So, I don't think everything from the older seasons are being swept under the carpet, as you put it. As I mentioned earlier, kids don't have to watch them in order to get into Pokemon, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing since kids are getting the chance to watch the series now when they weren't alive when it first started.

Scott85 said:
10 years from now the entire concept of continuity will be thrown out the window, and it'll feel like what we're watching is pointless.

Likewise I'm sure the writers will give a proper ending to the show someday, but hopefully that's sooner than later.

Again, I think we have different ideas of what is and what is not pointless. For me, it's only pointless if I don't feel any kind of enjoyment or pleasure from watch the series. I'm also wondering how you can speak with such confidence about what will happen ten years from now regarding the continuity when you don't have any kind of say in the matter. That's pretty the writers' jobs. Still, Pokemon and proper conclusion never really crossed my mind, considering the series' purpose is there to be a thirty-minute commercial for the video games. That's not a bad thing, in my opinion, but that's just what I think.

Rocket Girl said:
I think the writers have done a pretty good job keeping us older fans entertained, as well as making things new enough that little kids wont feel lost.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Exactly. I completely agree with you. The writers provide a nice mix of new material for new fans, as well as events mentioned possibly for older fans, so that little kids won't feel too confused by what happened before. I also agree with if it isn't broke, don't fix it. While I'm sure that we have different opinions on what does and doesn't work, what matters is that the writers feel like they get money from their Ash and Pikachu formula, which I believe that they do.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom