• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Inteleon is fine you guys are just mean. :cautious:

Do you guys think that Sobble is gonna evolve? Part of me hopes it doesn’t because it’s so gosh darn cute, but another part of me hopes it goes all the way so we can see Drizzile and Inteleon on the main cast.
I really hope it does. Sobble's cute but I don't really care for it's crying gimmick.
I quite adore Inteleon (my favorite of the Galar Starter Trio.) So naturally I'm really curious to see how the anime would portray Drizzile and Inteleon in the main cast. (Both could also be quite useful in helping Gou out with his goal).

You really think Inteleon is more marketable than Sobble? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. In my honest opinion, almost anything is more appealing than ugly Inteleon. I'm still salty that Sobble's evolutions look the way they do. Sobble has way more appeal than Drizzile and Inteleon because of how cute it is compared to those two. I would love for Gou's Sobble to forever stay a Sobble. I hope he doesn't let it evolve.
You may hate to see it but in @nickdt defense he's not entirely wrong. Inteleon beat out Sobble in the World Wide Poll and in Japan's Famitsu Poll. (And I also highly suspect Japan had a lot to do with Inteleon being so high on the World Wide poll as well)

What can I say? The Japanese crowd REALLY loves the lanky boi

Last edited:
I'm surprised Aerodactyl isn't being discussed more here, given that it's confirmed to 100% appear very soon and even be captured, just not clear by which of the two boys.
It seems to be coming from Gou's side of the screen in the intro, so I think it's his.
Edit: Plus Pikachu tries to zap it.

It seems to be coming from Gou's side of the screen in the intro, so I think it's his.
Edit: Plus Pikachu tries to zap it.
Yeah. Aerodactyl is probably going to Gou, but Ash hasn't caught anything since G-Farfetch'd in JN027, and the longest he's gone without catching anything this saga is 10 episodes.

I'm surprised Aerodactyl isn't being discussed more here, given that it's confirmed to 100% appear very soon and even be captured, just not clear by which of the two boys.
The first animation with the purple lights made it dubious, but the newer one where the purple bolts are animated as yellow electric attacks makes it quite clear that Pikachu is attacking it imo, unless it’s another case of the bait and switch Sobble/Farfetch'd advertising.

I’d rather Ash focus on the Pokémon he has right now for a while before he adds another to his roster, especially if it’s gonna be another Kanto Pokémon. In my opinion, there’s only one more space for an old generation Pokémon before it starts to get annoying that Ash isn’t catching some Galar Pokémon.

Last edited:
In last Sunday, I was hoping Ash will get a Flygon, but in new opening it turns out disappointed, it seems Goh will get a Flygon and I got upset.

There's been some people wondering if Gou will capture the Zapdos we see the OP and the Preview since it looks like it's coming out of Gou's Pokeball.

Well do any of you guys think Gou will capture a Zapdos?

There's been some people wondering if Gou will capture the Zapdos we see the OP and the Preview since it looks like it's coming out of Gou's Pokeball.

We also had some merch for Zapdos. Not Articuno nor Moltres were there.
He wants to catch them all, in that way it makes sense. Nonetheless, unless It's a baby Zapdos, or an injured one, for me, it seems way way to early to give a Zapdos to Goh. My hope? It will be befriended and perhaps caught in a very later date.

I wouldn't say I'm confident it'll happen, but I think it's possible.
Sun and Moon had a Mythical Pokémon bargain sale among the main cast so I would not be too surprised at this point for a main character to get a Legendary.

I said earlier I found it unlikely that Goh would catch Zapdos but now I find it more likely that he does catch it (regardless of if it’s his first encounter with it or not). I think if he catches one of the birds he’ll likely catch the other two (even if it’s later down the road).

Though, I do think it could be possible that Raboot evolves while fighting Zapdos, especially if Goh is gonna be trying to fight and capture it. An extremely powerful opponent and low odds to win are the perfect equation for an evolution and subsequent victory. It’d be a pretty sick evolution, though (even if Noibat did it first).

I do think it’s a little early for Goh to be catching a Legendary (even though it’s one of the lower-tier ones). But he’s gonna get strong fast and we’re just starting to go down that road with episodes where he’ll be catching Pokémon like Heracross, Flygon, and most likely Aerodactyl, and we’ll be getting Raboot’s evolution sooner rather than later. Along with that, his battle skills will be improving with the Flygon episode showing that he is capable of strategy and battling (he’s obviously been paying attention to Ash).

Regardless if Goh does or doesn’t capture Zapdos, the Zapdos episode has potential to be important to his story, either furthering his goal of catching ‘em all, his battling abilities, or both.

Last edited:
Why is it that people want Goh to catch a legendary when it doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons? The argument that other trainers have had legendary or mythical Pokemon doesn't work for Goh because those cases are entirely different, especially when you consider the entire main cast aspect.
  • The main cast has never captured a legendary, they've only befriended or taken care of them temporarily which is not the same as outright capture and ownership. Not to mention that it would be pointless for Goh to capture a legendary for it to... do nothing in the dome. And Dex entries don't need capturing in the anime, you just need to record the Pokemon, as shown in the past on several occasion so that point is moot as well.
  • All of the people who've gotten powerful legendaries (Brandon, Nolan etc.) or used them in battle have been trainers who have imposing/veteran status or are of a higher caliber. So far, Goh is nowhere even 1% of that, he's still technically a rookie trainer who hasn't put in much effort for success at what he does (with Cubone and Sobble being the exceptions). And magical 100% capture rate curve balls don't count.
  • Goh's goal of catching Mew doesn't automatically equate to the fact that he needs to capture all Pokemon (not that entire link even made sense from the start) or that he should even have automatic success at it in the first place. We've already seen in as recent as XY on how powerful a "minor legendary" (not my wording) like the bird trio members can be. They're free spirits, they're not supposed to be captured and especially not by some run of the mill rookie.

Last edited:
Why do people not think that Goh could get Zapdos? We know that his goal is to capture Mew and every other Pokemon to boot so its inevitable that he'll get his hands on some Legendaries. This whole "it doesn't make sense" stuff is just the usual anti-Goh bias that certain people like to spill and it's funny because people said that Goh getting Sobble and Flygon wouldn't make sense either but here we are.

Why do people not think that Goh could get Zapdos? We know that his goal is to capture Mew and every other Pokemon to boot so its inevitable that he'll get his hands on some Legendaries. This whole "it doesn't make sense" stuff is just the usual anti-Goh bias that certain people like to spill and it's funny because people said that Goh getting Sobble and Flygon wouldn't make sense either but here we are.
Maybe you could actually address the points I made, instead of handwaving them and hit-and-running by bringing in a non-sequitur line of thinking ("anti-Goh bias", when my points apply to any main cast members including Ash as well). And for that matter I've already pointed out the 'capture Mew and every Pokemon to boot' angle that you brought up as well.
We know that his goal is to capture Mew and every other Pokemon to boot so its inevitable that he'll get his hands on some Legendaries.
How does him having that particular goal make it inevitable for him be successful at catching a legendary excluding Mew anyways? Going by the line of thinking that just because someone has a goal of doing something hence they should succeed:
  • Giovanni should inevitably be successful at mass capturing of Pokemon and taking over all the regions without resistance.
  • Lysandre should inevitably have been successful at wiping out and restarting life.
  • Cyrus should inevitably have been successful at wiping out the Universe and restarting it with only him in it.
See why this line of thinking is wrong now? Even if you substitute the mentioned examples for protagonist or good people, it still makes for a boring and stagnant show.

Also this:
Goh's goal of catching Mew doesn't automatically equate to the fact that he needs to capture all Pokemon (not that entire link even made sense from the start) or that he should even have automatic success at it in the first place.
If some run-of-the-mill guy like Goh could easily catch legendaries then there wouldn't have been any of them available from the start. What makes him deserving of catching a legendary anyways, and not the thousands of high caliber trainers, researchers, other people with mindset similar to him etc. who would have put in more effort than him? Pretty sure he's not the first excited kid to have had a dream of catching a legendary (as we've seen in many CotDs in the past). Why should legendaries only exist in the world for some random kid to catch them in the first place? They are legends for a reason.

P.S: The reason why the Sobble capture drew in negativity was because of the bait-and-switch advertising surrounding it. Also, I don't see much outrage about Goh catching Flygon? Please point out where this anti-Goh bias regarding Flygon that you mentioned is. Most people have accepted that it'll happen and if anything, some of us didn't want Ash getting the Flygon due to oversaturation of Dragon types on his team (and because poor Gible still exists). This all banks on the "surprise strategy" Goh will employ to capture Flygon though, because if it's something cheap like a fakeout and a variation of a single ball capture then the negativity will be deserved.

Last edited:
I meant to say, that in last Sunday, I was hoping Ash will get a Flygon, but in new opening it turns out disappointed, it seems Goh will get a Flygon and I got upset and frustrated.

Back
Top Bottom