• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If you could add a new type, what would it be?

This is something I have always wondered, and I feel like they might have been the same type at one point, but later got separated.

Not really. Ghost is more paranormal phenomena, while Dark is focused on foul play. Dark is also called Sinister in Spanish already.
I have heard this argument before, but honestly, I don't feel it holds much water. Regardless of Dark-types being based on foul play, they still have abilities that invoke the power of darkness. Dark Pulse is basically Shadow Ball, but as an energy ray.

Ghost-types usually invoke the more sinister side of things, with many having a creepy and death-associated feel to them. Sinister-type would play on both the paranormal powers of darkness and the fear that Ghost-types invoke, as well as the wickedness of the Dark-type. I feel they share enough in common to make them one type. I could see most Ghost-types being re-typed to Dark, with nothing really being lost in the process. Dark-type was really just added in my opinion as a counter to Psychic, with little regard for the redundancy with Ghost-type. It worked nicely for game balance, but it really didn't add anything that wasn't already there thematically.

Separating Rock and Ground should remain. The reason is that the types describe their pokemon distinctively, and it allows for neater designs. Rock Pokemon are related to actual hard - they're usually made of Rock itself. Ground Types aren't supposedly hard - They can have the structure of anything, and just be known to live underground or use ground attacks.

I.e.: Without the disticntion, many pokemon would feel strange to call earth type.

Dark Pulse is basically Shadow Ball, but as an energy ray.
The description specific talks about "dark thoughts", though.
The user releases a horrible aura imbued with dark thoughts. It may also make the target flinch.
I can see some of the overlap (I personally think it's really weird to have Embargo and Torment be Dark-type when they're more like a Curse), but Dark also has Pokemon like Incineroar, Drapion, Krookodile, Bisharp, Tyranitar- having those Pokemon in the same group as Pokemon that can phase through walls and put curses and nightmares on foes doesn't feel very coherent.
Dark-type was really just added in my opinion as a counter to Psychic, with little regard for the redundancy with Ghost-type. It worked nicely for game balance, but it really didn't add anything that wasn't already there thematically.
I mean, all Ghost had to its name back then was the Ghastly line, Confuse Ray, Lick, and Night Shade. Not really a lot for Dark to overtake there. (Not even any of the shadow- moves)

Misdreavus=Ghost/Sound
Mismagius=Ghost/Magic
Inkay=Gravity/Psychic
Malamar=Gravity/Psychic
Sandgast=Ghost/Sand
Palossand=Ghost/Sand
Goomy=Nuclear/Dragon
Sliggoo=Nuclear/Dragon
Goodra=Nuclear/Dragon
Swirlix=Fairy/Heart
Slurpuff=Fairy/Heart
Zorua=Dark/Form
Zoroark=Dark/Form

Cosmic type is a really cool idea. The Clefairy, Elgyem, Staryu lines and Deoxys fit very well.

I think Light type would be a fun concept to introduce. Pokemon who use/reflect/create light to live and attack/defend. We don't have a lot of Pokemon that use Light, but seems like they got Fairy to cover some of the Light concept (Dazzling Gleam).

Necrosma's Psychic type could easily be replaced with Light and make so much more sense. Come to think about it, GF did classify most if not all Cosmic/Space, Light motives as Psychic type.

Since I mentioned Beast-type here before, I shall now propose to you all, a list of Pokémon that could be Beast-type.

Arbok: Poison/Beast
Arcanine: Fire/Beast
Marowak: Ground/Beast
Kanghaskhan: Normal/Beast
Snorlax: Normal/Beast
Feraligatr: Water/Beast
Granbull: Fairy/Beast
Ursaring: Beast
Mightyena: Dark/Beast
Slaking: Normal/Beast
Manectric: Electric/Beast
Zangoose: Beast
Seviper: Poison/Beast
Absol: Dark/Beast
Glalie: Ice/Beast
Huntail: Water/Beast
Kyogre: Water/Beast
Groudon: Ground/Beast
Rayquaza: Dragon/Beast
Luxray: Electric/Beast
Hippowdon: Ground/Beast
Emboar: Fire/Beast
Stoutland: Beast
Beartic: Ice/Beast
Druddigon: Dragon/Beast
Pyroar: Fire/Beast
Tyrantrum: Rock/Beast
Xerneas: Fairy/Beast
Type: Null: Beast
Silvally: Beast

This one was a bit hard since what could qualify as a 'Beast-type' is quite loose. It could be Pokémon that are based on beasts of myths or legends, or just Pokémon that look or behave like a beast. As such, I tried to keep as many current dual types what they are right now, with only a handful actually being changed (Emboar, Gyarados, Tyrantrum) while some got it added as secondary typing.

It's perfectly possible that I missed some, but these kind of just jumped out.

How about a Rubber type? This would be Pokemon that have elastic like qualities.

Super effective against: Electric (Rubber is an insulator), Water (A reference to how rubber and plastic pollutes rivers and oceans)

Weak against: Fire (Fire can burn rubber), Ice (likewise Rubber doesn’t tend to do well in extreme cold either)

Resists: Water, Fighting, Rubber, Bug

Resisted by: Steel, Ice, Fire, Poison

Immune: Electric

Pokémon that could be retyped to rubber:
Lickitung line: Rubber
Igglybuff line: Rubber/Fairy
Tangrowth: grass/rubber
Ampibom: normal/rubber
Gulpin line: poison/rubber
Goomy line: Dragon/rubber
Sandaconda: ground/rubber

This'll throw ya for a loop...

"Fossil Pokémon"

Now I know what you're thinking - we already have them as a varied group of Pokémon so why make them into a Type? But no, that's not what I'm talking about, those were just ancient Pokémon revived *from* fossils to their original state (Galar notwithstanding), but what I'm proposing is Pokémon that *are* fossils in nature. The fossilised remains of Pokémon from long ago have fused with a variety of substances (thus allowing for Subtypes) and now from the depths of the earth they rise again as brand new creatures.

If you're wondering, the inspiration came from watching the Fossil monsters in Yugioh GX recently - Skullgar in particular which is like this dinosaur skeleton merged with iron to make a bone/steel hybrid body, really cool.

How about a Rubber type? This would be Pokemon that have elastic like qualities.

Super effective against: Electric (Rubber is an insulator), Water (A reference to how rubber and plastic pollutes rivers and oceans)

Weak against: Fire (Fire can burn rubber), Ice (likewise Rubber doesn’t tend to do well in extreme cold either)

But the most obvious you don't mention: Ditto.

This would actually be really good for balance except for two things:

1. Fire already has a ton of type advantages. Does it really need another? I think Fire might become OP if you do this.
2. Bug is resisted by a lot of stuff and recently was resisted by Fairy.

Other than that, I think this would actually be an improvement for the type chart and would be fairly sensible as a new type.

I think we should’ve had a Cosmic type years ago. It would make a lot of sense instead of just slapping the psychic type on things that come from outer space.

Super effective: Steel (Often in fiction alien technology is shown to be superior to earth technology, which steel represents). Water (In reference to how the moon controls earths tides), Flying (Flying types represent the air. There’s no air in space. Do the math.)

Resists: Cosmic, Water, Steel, Fairy (A fairies magic wouldn’t do much against terrifyingly powerful alien technology)

Weaknesses: Poison (Aliens immune systems wouldn’t be prepared for all the diseases on earth. Think War of the worlds). Ghost (The paranormal would be our last line of defense if Aliens ever came to earth). Dragon (Likewise in some cultures, Dragons defend earth from danger, so along with the paranormal, they would be our last line of defense.)

Resisted by: Ice (It’s cold in space, so I doubt there’s much they could do against Pokemon that are masters of coldness), Cosmic, Poison, Dragon

Immune: Flying (Again, there’s no air in space).

Retcons:
Deoxys: Psychic/Cosmic
Starmie: Water/Cosmic
Minior: Rock/Cosmic
Elgym line: Cosmic
Cleffa line: Fairy/Cosmic
Palkia: Cosmic/Dragon
Unknown: Cosmic
Solrock and Lunatone: Rock/Cosmic
Ledyba line: Bug/Cosmic

Last edited:
How about the Ogre-type, from a Fakemon YouTube Video by Kamy42?
SE against: Steel, Fairy
Weak to: Psychic
Resists: Steel, Fairy, Ground, Fire
NVE against: Normal, Ice
Immune to: nothing
Doesn't affect: nothing

IMHO, Ogre would be similar to the Beast type which was mentioned a while back.
Pokemon that could benefit from the Ogre-type
Spearow and Fearow: Ogre/Flying
Ekans and Arbok: Poison/Ogre
Mankey and Primeape Fighting/Ogre
Psyduck and Golduck: Water/Ogre
Drowzee and Hypno: Psychic/Ogre
Cubone and Marowak: Ground/Ogre
Elekid Line: Electric/Ogre
Magby Line: Fire/Ogre
Kyogre: Water/Ogre
Bouffalant: Ogre
Snorlax: Normal/Ogre
Staraptor: Ogre/Flying
Dunsparce: Ogre
Granbull: Fairy/Ogre
Raikou/Entei/Suicune: add Ogre as a second type
Mightyena: Dark/Ogre
Whismur line: Ogre
Yungoos and Gumshoos: Ogre
Duskull line: Ghost/Ogre
Snorunt and Glalie: Ice/Ogre
Druddigon: Dragon/Ogre
Cranidos and Rampardos: Rock/Ogre
Purugly: Normal/Ogre
Hippowdon family: Ground/Ogre
Stoutland: Ogre
Gigalith line: Rock/Ogre
Timburr line: Fighting/Ogre
Cofagrigus: Ghost/Ogre
Rufflet Line: Ogre/Flying
Xerneas: Fairy/Ogre
Mudsdale: Ground/Ogre
Barraskewda family: Water/Ogre

Last edited:
Ogre seems hyper-specific for a type, even more so than something like Cat-type. It's not like an ogre just refers to any kind of monstrous beast, it's specifically something that resembles a human. Psyduck, Spearow, Dunsparce, Elekid, Whismur, Xerneas- none of these really resemble an ogre at all.

Ogre would be more something if Pokémon worked with traits or something so that a certain Pokémon could have the 'Ogre' trait. (For example Weezing. Yes it's a floating poison head but it's face gives me ogre vibes.)

Guys was thinking about a Oni and Form types
Oni type in Japan or Monster Type in Eurasia and Oceania or Demon Type in NA,SA and Africa
Form type

As some in here have suggested, I would really like there to be a technology/cyber. For this type to work it will focus on Pokemon created by modern day technology. I’m really putting emphasis on the “modern” part as in Pokemon that were made in the 90s and onward (basically from red and blues place in the timeline and beyond). This way Pokemon like Klink and Magearna still remain steel types as they weren’t made in the modern day.

For the Pokemon retconned to Cyber:
The porygon line: Cyber (an obvious pick)
Voltorb line: Electric/Cyber
Genesect: Bug/Cyber
Castform: Cyber (It was made in a lab. And now all of its form changes will be part Cyber).
Type: Null and Silvally: Cyber
Mewtwo: Psychic/Cyber

Now I know you’re probably thinking what about Pokemon like rotom or the magnemite line? Well I think the magnemite line is fine as it is with their electric/steel typing. Though I’d give magneton a branching evolution that’s Electric/Cyber to compensate. As for rotom, I’d give him a new device that will allow him to be Electric/Cyber. Maybe a tablet or a laptop would be nice.

Now for the type effectiveness:

Super effective: Electric (Modern day devices are powered by electricity), Fairy (Magic vs Science with Magic coming out on top).

Resists: Electric, Fairy, Psychic (anything a human mind can process, a machine can process quicker).

Weaknesses: Bug ( To represent bugs, glitches, and viruses), Dark (To represent evil acts that happen online such as doxxing, trolling, and hacking), Ice (Slow internet speeds. Lol)

Resisted by: Bug, Dark, Ice, Grass (Nature vs. Technology, with Nature being the victor)

Another thing I’m doing with this type is that I’m using it as a way to make some of the infamous glitch Pokemon canon. That’s right Pokemon such as Missingno, female symbol, and even the terrifying zzazz glitch are now Pokemon you can catch, trade and evolve. With new designs and names to boot. Heck, even the 4.4 glitch can serve as a the regions pikaclone, with it using pikachus pre Gen 6 cry as it’s official cry.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom