• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

On the Origin of Species: Sobble, Drizzile, and Inteleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Staff
sobble otoos.png
After almost exactly seven years, Bulbagarden's "On the Origin of Species" has returned! In this series, I will be diving deep into the real life inspirations the concept and design of a different Pokémon or evolutionary line with each installment. Today, I wanted to start off this revival with one of the newest additions to our starter lineup, the Sobble family.

I've always been fascinated by reptiles. It's a fantastically diverse group of animals, coming in all different shapes, sizes, and colors. Many even change colors based on environmental factors or their life stage. The most famous example of this is of course the chameleon, which is actually an entire family of lizards scientifically known as Chamaeleonidae. Sobble and its relatives clearly take inspiration from these lizards, most closely resembling the veiled chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus).

Chameleons change their colors for a variety of reasons. Camouflage plays a role, but typically their relaxed, mottled or striped green coloration works well enough for this given their arboreal lifestyle. Perhaps the most important reason chameleons shift their color is for heat regulation. If one feels too cold, it will change to a darker color to absorb more heat, and if it's too hot it will shift to a lighter color to absorb less heat. Chameleons also use their colors to send signals to others of their species. An aggressive individual might display bright colors, and a rival may turn dark to indicate that it's submitting.

Sobble's ability to turn completely invisible is likely derived from the chameleon's ability to change its color, but of course it has been exaggerated in classic Pokémon fashion. Despite this, the reasons Sobble and its evolutions use this color changing ability are not too far removed from their reptilian origins. The crybaby Sobble will disappear when it becomes scared, similar to how many animals are able to change their color to hide from predators. Like a human teenager, Drizzile begins experimenting with its style, showing off some green and purple in its design. Perhaps this display was inspired by a brightly-colored, moody chameleon telling others to get out of its room, or rather its tree. The smooth assassin Inteleon returns to a more modest color scheme and uses its ability to disappear for stealth once again. However, it's no scared Sobble anymore, it prefers to sneak up on enemies and attack from a distance, like the real life predatory chameleon and its projectile tongue.

Common basiliskWhile the similarities Inteleon has to chameleons are apparent, with them even being a likely influence on its name, this Pokémon also appears to draw inspiration from at least two other types of lizards as well. Its lanky body and rounded head crest are reminiscent of basilisk lizards of the genus Basiliscus. These animals are famous for their ability to run on top of water. It's fitting a lizard with such an affinity for water would be used as inspiration for this reptilian Water type Pokémon.

Basilisks are able to perform this feat thanks to special fringes lining their toes that fold out when they're ready to run. When their foot slaps against the water, the increased surface area provided by these fringes pushes a pocket of air down into the water. This gives them enough buoyancy to rest on the surface long enough to push off into their next stride. It's a delicate process that they've been recorded to maintain for up to about three seconds, traveling up to 15 feet this way. Then they resort to swimming until they are safe from whatever predator they were attempting to escape from.

Sulawesi Lined Gliding LizardInteleon seems to draw on traits of another lizard with a unique method of travel. The way Inteleon pulls out its cape-like membrane to glide is nearly identical to that of the flying lizards of the genus Draco. These lizards boast thin membranes, called patagia, that allow them to glide from tree to tree. These wing-like structures are what inspired their genus name, which refers to mythological dragons, and may have contributed to the ancient legends of these flying creatures. Like the Pokémon they inspired, Draco lizards are not capable of true flight, but have been recorded gliding up to 200 feet. This is approximately 300 times their body length! Bats, flying squirrels, sugar gliders, and pterosaurs all have or had patagia as well, and bats and pterosaurs have evolved the ability to fly using them.

As Inteleon's Pokédex entry claims, the Secret Agent Pokémon has "many hidden capabilities." From color changing stealth to soaring through the air, our humble friend Sobble and its flamboyant relatives have a lot of spectacular abilities to offer, all inspired by the amazingly diverse world of real life lizards!

Did you enjoy this article? Did I miss anything during my research? Maybe you have suggestions for future topics in this series? You can let me know by commenting on this article!

Yessss! I love this series, and I'm really happy it's back! :bulbaLove:

I find it kind of funny that I went through the game with Sobble as my starter, yet I didn't know that they had the ability to camouflage. (...and I was even playing on Shield, which has the Pokedex entry that brings this up!)

Also the basilisk reference is neat... I wonder if the running-on-water thing will get used in the extended universe sometime?

Yessss! I love this series, and I'm really happy it's back! :bulbaLove:
Glad to hear you're excited! I've been wanting to bring it back for a loooong time now, and the transition to our new News format, the timing just felt right.

I find it kind of funny that I went through the game with Sobble as my starter, yet I didn't know that they had the ability to camouflage. (...and I was even playing on Shield, which has the Pokedex entry that brings this up!)
Yeah it's only mentioned in the Pokedex, it's unfortunately not really reflected in its moveset or abilities. It did demonstrate the ability it in the reveal trailer

Also the basilisk reference is neat... I wonder if the running-on-water thing will get used in the extended universe sometime?
So far it seems basilisks were really only used for aesthetics with the crest and the body shape. To my knowledge Inteleon hasn't been shown running on water or anything so far. But who knows, maybe some time in the future it will show this off!

Sobble actually took the spot of favorite unevolved starter for me. I mean, such an adorable little chameleon...:bulbaLove:

Great! Wouldn't you mind doing an article in this series about Scorbunny, Raboot, and Cinderace next time, @Enzap?
So I chose Sobble pretty strategically since the line draws from multiple types of animals that not everyone may be very familiar with. Scorbunny appears to be a more generic rabbit (which people tend to be more familiar with than types of lizards) with a simple sporty theme slapped on top. It would be a bit more difficult to fill out a full length article on them.

That being said though, there are some interesting traits about rabbits that many people aren't aware of, so I'll keep them in mind as a possibility for a future edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Search Bulbapedia

Back
Top Bottom