• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN040: VS Thunder! A Legendary Raid Battle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then just give us another episode dealing with Zapdos freaking out in the lab like they did with episode 23. That could end with Go and Zapdos bonding and it officially becoming a co guardiam with Golurk :p

I'm gonna save this for Friday. Don't be dissapointed...

I don't think Go will catch Zapdos.... yet. It would be interesting if he actually fails to capture a pokemon, so he can develop himself. Zapdos could be treated the same as Bea: A difficult challenge the protagonist needs to overcome step by step.

That's basically how S&M treated them too.
That's true, but on the other hand that was forgivable in my opinion because it tied into Alola's remote culture of being more in tune with nature and treating the Legendries like tutelary deities.

Whereas Journeys feels strange to me because it's trying to retrofit that culture onto past Legendries that were given more... I dunno "mystique" for lack of a better term. :unsure:

I don't think Go will catch Zapdos.... yet. It would be interesting if he actually fails to capture a pokemon, so he can develop himself. Zapdos could be treated the same as Bea: A difficult challenge the protagonist needs to overcome step by step.
I'd be more confident of this statement if it weren't for the fact that they've been treating Goh like a writer's pet and any relevant development that would occur for him being promptly abandoned or contradicted within the next set of episodes.

I still don't see how Ash's experience was even a factor as to how and why he captured Meltan. I don't recall fans being that excited for Ash catching his first Legendary Pokemon back in SM either, but it is possible that I just forgot. People certainly didn't like Tobias having at least two Legendary Pokemon on his team regardless of his amount of experience. I don't think Goh is going to get Zapdos regardless of whether or not people see him as a rookie, but I don't understand why people keep bringing up experience as if that really matters in at least the case of Ash and Meltan. Ash's battle experience had virtually nothing to do with his capture of Meltan.
It's about power levels, as much as they can be applied to this series. Ash didn't earn Meltan through an incredibly difficult challenge, however his "power level" was high enough toward the end of SM that he was finally allowed to own a low-tier legendary Pokemon. For context, this coincides with him winning his first regional league, so you could say he reached "league winner" level and has unlocked the ability to own legendaries (the same level as Tobias you could say). This mirrors the games to an extent, you are limited to how high level of Pokemon you can catch in SwSh depending on the amount of badges you have, and you can't catch a legendary until the end of the game, when you are at "league winner" level.

As he's been written so far, Gou can be classified as just a "good" trainer, having a handful of victories against tough opponent. No matter how you look at it, he's a long shot from being allowed to own legendary Pokemon. If he gets any, I doubt it will be until the end of the series.

I'd be more confident of this statement if it weren't for the fact that they've been treating Goh like a writer's pet and any relevant development that would occur for him being promptly abandoned or contradicted within the next set of episodes.

I've said it before but the only way Go catching Zapdos in this episode wouldn't be crap is if it's pointed out that he couldn't do it on his own and he realizes it.

It's about power levels, as much as they can be applied to this series. Ash didn't earn Meltan through an incredibly difficult challenge, however his "power level" was high enough toward the end of SM that he was finally allowed to own a low-tier legendary Pokemon. For context, this coincides with him winning his first regional league, so you could say he reached "league winner" level and has unlocked the ability to own legendaries (the same level as Tobias you could say). This mirrors the games to an extent, you are limited to how high level of Pokemon you can catch in SwSh depending on the amount of badges you have, and you can't catch a legendary until the end of the game, when you are at "league winner" level.

I don't really see how Ash's "power level" was high enough to justify owning a Legendary Pokemon. SM wasn't particularly battle heavy prior to the Alola League and his skills as a trainer weren't a justification for him to get Meltan. This take on Melmetal is strange to me not only because I really don't remember people making a big deal about the capture at the time, but it also sounds like fans are putting the capture on a bigger pedestal than the anime ever did, similar to the Alola League victory itself. I think that's another reason why the comparison just doesn't work for me. It sounds like fans are making a big deal about Meltan's capture, at least in retrospect, in order to claim that it was more justified in-universe than Goh potentially capturing Zapdos would be. There was definitely more buildup to Meltan's appearance in SM, although I don't recall if fans believed that Ash or anyone was going to capture one, but in terms of being an indication of a trainer's skill/power level, I can't really see Melmetal as such when it just exists for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee promotion. It's also kind of strange to compare it with the high level of Pokemon you can catch in Sword/Shield. It just sounds like a huge stretch to compare it to a game mechanic that fans didn't even know about at the time.

Beatsy Ray said:
As he's been written so far, Gou can be classified as just a "good" trainer, having a handful of victories against tough opponent. No matter how you look at it, he's a long shot from being allowed to own legendary Pokemon. If he gets any, I doubt it will be until the end of the series.

Now I agree that Goh probably won't get any Legendary Pokemon until the near the end of the series for multiple reasons. It wouldn't be as hard to write around Goh owning something like Zapdos if the series was close to wrapping up. Plus, depending on the execution of the capture, it could be used to showcase how he has become a better battler.

Information courtesy of Ataro on Bulbapedia

Set to air October 9, 2020

No further information at this moment

Do you guys happen to know why they didn't air a new Pokemon episode last Sunday?
And why October 9th, which is a Friday? Will Pokemon get a new timeslot in Japan?

Do you guys happen to know why they didn't air a new Pokemon episode last Sunday?
And why October 9th, which is a Friday? Will Pokemon get a new timeslot in Japan?
The timeslot is changing to Friday; there was an announcement video with a gold suited Pikachu now serving as my avatar in a place of honor.

The timeslot is changing to Friday; there was an announcement video with a gold suited Pikachu now serving as my avatar in a place of honor.
Thank you!
I'm really curious if changing the timeslot toFriday will help increase Pokemon's audience...
I don't know if people in Japan watch TV more frequently on Fridays than on Sundays.

One thing that would make Goh failing to catch Zapdos a good step for his character is if this was used as a learning experience for him in a "wow, Legendaries/Mythicals really are on a different level, huh? I guess I still have a long way to go before I can catch Mew and probably need to change my approach to captures" way. That said, I do doubt this encounter will be that meaningful for character development even if Goh does fail to catch it. More likely it's just a Legendary being shown off in preparation for the Crown Tundra DLC.

Thank you!
I'm really curious if changing the timeslot toFriday will help increase Pokemon's audience...
I don't know if people in Japan watch TV more frequently on Fridays than on Sundays.

It's not going directly up against Chibi Maruko Chan so I'd say that it does have a better chance of getting a bigger live audience in the new time slot.

So The only type Goh is missing is Steel? We gonna see a Magnemite capture here? I’d prefer for him to get Magnemite, Voltorb and Electabuzz all at once (Not sure how I feel about Zapdos)

The Only thing that irks me more than the constant stream of easy captures Goh gets, is when he fails to get a Pokemon in an episode. They can’t show him catching Pinsir and Darmanitan so easily but have him neglect to catch a Slowpoke...

So The only type Goh is missing is Steel? We gonna see a Magnemite capture here? I’d prefer for him to get Magnemite, Voltorb and Electabuzz all at once (Not sure how I feel about Zapdos)

The Only thing that irks me more than the constant stream of easy captures Goh gets, is when he fails to get a Pokemon in an episode. They can’t show him catching Pinsir and Darmanitan so easily but have him neglect to catch a Slowpoke...
I’d say that any break from Go’s catching a Pokémon every episode streak is a good thing. It’s boring enough to watch happen every episode. It not happening for a change is refreshing.

Less than 1 and a half days to go until this episode comes out and still no staff lists

Talk about cutting it fine
why does staff list even matter... Also weren’t you a moderator on here? Correct me if i’m wrong

I asked Dephender on Serebii if he'd received any news, his response was quite informative

Nothing yet. Though it's unlikely episode 40 will get one at all, the street date for these magazines is the 10th, so the episode will already have aired at the time the magazine is "officially" out, making it meaningless to provide a listing for it.

It's really just the timeslot switch that's messing things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom