• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

For one thing, they need to fix the hitbox size for bigger Pokemon whenever Pokemon Camp is used in the Wild Area. At least in a way that will allow two large Pokemon to interact with one another without that weird push.

After Genshin Impact, I hope not. I'm not saying open world games are bad, but I need my linearity, otherwise I enter anxiety mode.

Hard to say if they'll ever go full open world, but they're definitely going to move more in that direction. The Wild Area and the two DLC areas show that's the direction they want to go in. It might end up like say, Xenoblade, where it's a sprawling overworld but still follows a set path, instead of being full on BotW or Genshin Impact, but I think we're seeing the end of claustrophobic linear routes like SwSh's main game.

Hard to say if they'll ever go full open world, but they're definitely going to move more in that direction. The Wild Area and the two DLC areas show that's the direction they want to go in. It might end up like say, Xenoblade, where it's a sprawling overworld but still follows a set path, instead of being full on BotW or Genshin Impact, but I think we're seeing the end of claustrophobic linear routes like SwSh's main game.
Although you're probably right, I don't think that this will be the end of linearity in Pokemon.

Something like Xenoblade would be more tolerable like me, but something like BotW would be a big pass for me.

I know this is silly and doesn't mean anything; but I started watching G Gundam recently and the five main countries are Japan, France, US (New York, Specifically), China and Russia. I think it is kind of funny that we have pokemon regions based on three of those and Russia and China are popular speculations for future regions. Also, watching the first episode with Rose Gundam was weird because that version of France really did look like Kalos.
Haha, I like how you were reminded of the pokemon regions when watching G Gundam!
Hearing you list of those five main countries just made me think superficially of something else. Sounds like the key member nations of the UN Security Council. : p
(I imagine the nation selection wasn't random for Gundam, though I don't know if it was directly based on this. Hmm, the WP page for "Mobile Fighter G Gundam" (redirect) didn't mention the UN, but maybe a wikia page might.)
I didn't include the photo as there wasn't enough space.
1603576734255.png

Someone has probably already talked about this before on the thread, but I'm going to predict that the gen 9 games are going to expand on the open world concept even more, if not being fully-fledged open world games themselves. Other users have mentioned how much better the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra are in terms of open environments, and I think that shows GameFreak is building upon what they've learned in terms of open-worldness, which will probably culminate in the gen 9 games.

Someone has probably already talked about this before on the thread, but I'm going to predict that the gen 9 games are going to expand on the open world concept even more, if not being fully-fledged open world games themselves. Other users have mentioned how much better the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra are in terms of open environments, and I think that shows GameFreak is building upon what they've learned in terms of open-worldness, which will probably culminate in the gen 9 games.

I literally said this 5 posts ago LOL. But yeah, Game Freak definitely seems to be testing the waters on more open ended area design with this game and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the 9th gen games put it all together.

When gen 9 happens (not possible for the 25th anniversary next year imo), it will be fully 360 camera. That much is proven by the leaps made between The Wild Area and The Crown Tundra. I do fully believe that the end goal for the switch is a fully open world game, especially with the feedback received from SwSh.

When gen 9 happens (not possible for the 25th anniversary next year imo), it will be fully 360 camera. That much is proven by the leaps made between The Wild Area and The Crown Tundra. I do fully believe that the end goal for the switch is a fully open world game, especially with the feedback received from SwSh.
I don't think Pokemon will ever go that route without a change in developer.

wait is there any region with a Jungle like similar the Amazon

We really do need a proper jungle area of some sorts in the games. Alola had Lush Jungle technically, but that was more of a forest. I'm talking a forested area that has lots of tropical flora and fauna, they've never really made an area like that before.

We really do need a proper jungle area of some sorts in the games. Alola had Lush Jungle technically, but that was more of a forest. I'm talking a forested area that has lots of tropical flora and fauna, they've never really made an area like that before.

That would definitely be neat.
It seems like the usual mode, for a while now, is to play the worldbuilding landscape feature bingo game and include without much concern for realistic ecosystem dynamics and reasonable compatibility.
Not that I'm complaining! I love that they include a variety within each region.

There's always sea routes, freshwater rivers and ponds (sometimes just one pond!). There are rainy routes.
There's often at least one case of wetlands.
There's an icy or snowy area or more. (ice rock often here)
There's a desert and/or sandstorm area. Now there may be more sunny areas, too.
There's a volcano, frequently. Sometimes there are ashy areas.
There's a forest or a few. (moss rock often here)
There's usually a place or a few for tall grass.
There's usually a special magnetic/electric area.
There're mountains and caves all over.
Sometimes there are foggy areas.

I have a little bit of reservation if they decide to expand one of these quite a bit at the expense of another feature. So if they have a great jungle/rainforest or evergreen zone, but no icy place, I would still be a bit sad. But if they're just going to expand the world within a region, then that'd be great.

It would be interesting to see them slightly feature high biodiversity in a rainforest, but for game purposes, I imagine they would only do that if the forest is a "special" location that features a lot of pokemon.
By "special" places I mean a related-variety of location types, for which a major purpose is allowing more pokemon availability,
such as White Forest, Pokemon Pelago, Ultra Space Wilds, Mirage Spots, maybe even Johto Safari Zone (high pokemon list, movable variety of habitats), and places like Galar DLC (IoA, CT) and Wild Area, perhaps.

That would definitely be neat.
It seems like the usual mode, for a while now, is to play the worldbuilding landscape feature bingo game and include without much concern for realistic ecosystem dynamics and reasonable compatibility.
Not that I'm complaining! I love that they include a variety within each region.

There's always sea routes, freshwater rivers and ponds (sometimes just one pond!). There are rainy routes.
There's often at least one case of wetlands.
There's an icy or snowy area or more. (ice rock often here)
There's a desert and/or sandstorm area. Now there may be more sunny areas, too.
There's a volcano, frequently. Sometimes there are ashy areas.
There's a forest or a few. (moss rock often here)
There's usually a place or a few for tall grass.
There's usually a special magnetic/electric area.
There're mountains and caves all over.
Sometimes there are foggy areas.

I have a little bit of reservation if they decide to expand one of these quite a bit at the expense of another feature. So if they have a great jungle/rainforest or evergreen zone, but no icy place, I would still be a bit sad. But if they're just going to expand the world within a region, then that'd be great.

It would be interesting to see them slightly feature high biodiversity in a rainforest, but for game purposes, I imagine they would only do that if the forest is a "special" location that features a lot of pokemon.
By "special" places I mean a related-variety of location types, for which a major purpose is allowing more pokemon availability,
such as White Forest, Pokemon Pelago, Ultra Space Wilds, Mirage Spots, maybe even Johto Safari Zone (high pokemon list, movable variety of habitats), and places like Galar DLC (IoA, CT) and Wild Area, perhaps.

I'm not necessarily thinking of one of those special encounter methods, just a place with tropical Pokemon that would fit that environment. Like if you could encounter stuff like say, Aipom or Carnivine or Toucannon.

I think that they would still want to have linear stories. I'm expecting something more akin to Xenoblade Chronicles than BOTW.
The user you quoted only mentioned a 360 camera for Gen 9 and that’s what I mention in my comment as well. You can have a 360 camera without a linear story. The wild area is literally a 360 camera with no story. Mod Sun Moon to have an open camera and it becomes a 360 camera game with no story.
Not to mention that an open world game can be executed with a linear story if done correctly.

The user you quoted only mentioned a 360 camera for Gen 9 and that’s what I mention in my comment as well. You can have a 360 camera without a linear story. The wild area is literally a 360 camera with no story. Mod Sun Moon to have an open camera and it becomes a 360 camera game with no story.

Not to mention that an open world game can be executed with a linear story if done correctly.
They can do a 360 camera without a full open world, you know.

With the DLC being almost entirely free camera, I can see the next games having the same, especially seeing the improvement over the base game the DLC has shown with each release. The free camera environments they made for the DLC cover the biomes they typically use in a pokemon game, except volcanoes, which could mean that the wild areas we got were all just practice for whatever they have in store for us next.

I don't expect the story to be any less linear than previous games, but I hope it can be tailored to a more open setting, like how we could challenge certain gyms out of order in gens 1-4, but make it a little more intentional.

A China influenced region would be ideal for me, due to the many uniques structures to use as in game areas, as well as the plethora of new pokemon or regional variants they can derive from mythology and folklore. Creatures like Rui Shi (Lion Dogs), Qilin, or Xiezhi would all make great pokemon. It would also be the perfect opportunity to have the four directions as legendaries, plus the centre, of course.

I just hope that if they do have a free camera that they, y'know actually let me look up and down more than a tiny bit. Sweet Helix do I hate the fact I can't look straight up. What, are they scared someone's gonna try to look into the black void that is inevitably under any skirt in the game? Oh no! A black void!! Or maybe someone might try to see all of gardevoirs stick legs under her dress flesh? Not like her dress isn't open in the front anyway. And what's the deal with tilting the camera only a little to look down. Like I get you don't want us to end up over our character's head but yeesh.

I'd kind of like to be able to see Calyrex's tree from more than the edges of the map. Or look down cliffsides when I'm next to em.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom